Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-05-2006   #1
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler
Default Hall of Fame Game - Sunday Night on NBC

Tomorrow night we get a small taste of some football. Oakland vs Philly. My money is on Oakland...

But we will see what our season opener has in store for us....

GO TEXANS.....
Old 08-05-2006   #2
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Matt Nordgren(VY's backup at UT) still with the Eagles? If not, I'll still be intersted in seeing Andrew Walter.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #3
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
Is Matt Nordgren(VY's backup at UT) still with the Eagles? If not, I'll still be intersted in seeing Andrew Walter.
No, i checked the roster today and his name was not listed.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
Tomorrow night we get a small taste of some football. Oakland vs Philly. My money is on Oakland...

But we will see what our season opener has in store for us....

GO TEXANS.....
I don't know how much we'll learn about Philly. They'll play the starters for a quarter at most and the rest are reserves. It's hard to watch a full preseason game when it's not the Texans.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #5
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I don't know how much we'll learn about Philly. They'll play the starters for a quarter at most and the rest are reserves. It's hard to watch a full preseason game when it's not the Texans.

Id usually say that but football is finally here so im gunna watch it even if the third string QB is in.
Old 08-05-2006   #6
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

Don't forget to watch Jabar Gaffney now playing slot reciever with the Eagles.

TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #7
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim
Default Moon? ...

Been busy handing out equipment for MY football season which'll start Monday ... A lil off-topic of this thread but I didn't wanna start a whole new thread & I was wondering if anyone actually watched Warren Moon be inducted. More importantly, which team if any, will he represent or be recognized with?
Old 08-05-2006   #8
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Football is finally here!!
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #9
Hutch13
List of demands

Football Football!!!!!:bananasplit:

Man i cant wait even if its not the texans.
Old 08-06-2006   #10
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 1061 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

This matchup is perfect for John Madden, if you think about it. When he first came into the league, he was drafted by the Eagles. A knee injury ended his career before a single play, though. Moving on to bigger things, he winds up coaching the Raiders.... and never had a losing season. He was an amazing coach and the best announcer ever!

On a sad day (in hopefully the far distant future) when our hero Madden passes away, he should have a national holiday just for him. We will call it Maddenoliday, obviously.
Old 08-06-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If any of y'all with NFL Network have a chance, don't miss Rayfield Wright's acceptance speech. They have been re-running them all morning. It's one of the more powerful and moving induction speeches I've heard.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #12
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansLucky13
and the best announcer ever!
Oh please no...
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If any of y'all with NFL Network have a chance, don't miss Rayfield Wright's acceptance speech. They have been re-running them all morning. It's one of the more powerful and moving induction speeches I've heard.
Actually, its one of the most powerful and moving speeches of any kind that
I've heard in recent years. Listening to it, I was thinking Wright must have been a preacher or politicain (or both). And I don't even care about the Cowboys (1 way or the other), but there could not have been a real Cowboy fan with a dry eye who witnessed that powerhouse performance.
And Moons speech was very interesting to me. I've never heard a grown man go on about his love and devotion for his mother in such a public forum. And
don't get me wrong about this because I had the same feelings about my own
mother, who I lost 2 years ago. But in front of his wife, x-wife, the whole world on ESPN. But I admired Moon for "leaving nothing on the field".
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #14
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Not a Dallas fan either, far from it, but if you're a football fan you have to respect the success of the Landry era. Rayfield Wright has every right to talk about America's Team because he lived it, he was an integral part of it, and that was an identifying moniker during that era, much like The Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Air Coryell, Fearsome Foursome et al. Dallas fans who still draw on America's Team for self-sustainment in this day and age, especially those who weren't alive then, are doing nothing more than diluting and thereby disrespecting the accomplishments of Landry's great teams in the 70's and NFL history as a whole.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Great.

I sat through all of them except Wright's speech... and his turns out to be the one to be seen.

Moon flat out thanked Bud Adams, Ladd Herzeg, and Jerry Glannville. ( no, I am not making that up )

McClain put out a pretty good story about those no good for nothing... buzzards.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4097125.html

It caught my attention when Steinberg was listing out the great cities along the way in Moon's career. He named every single one, every single one but Houston.
Old 08-06-2006   #16
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
It caught my attention when Steinberg was listing out the great cities along the way in Moon's career. He named every single one, every single one but Houston.
I dunno, but isn't Steinberg Carr's agent ? If not, am thinking former agent ?
But along those same lines, in one comment when referenceing the other new
HOF members on the stage besides the one he was nominating, I could have
sworn Al Davis mentioned everybody but Aikman ? And even though old Al looked like hell, he's still got that sharp mind as he whipped thru his nominating speech with not many gliches . So don't think it was an accidentaql omission ? Not sure, though.
Old 08-06-2006   #17
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Also when Reggie White's Widow finished everyone hugged her, but Aikman.
Old 08-06-2006   #18
Hutch13
List of demands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1
Also when Reggie White's Widow finished everyone hugged her, but Aikman.
So what are yall trying to say about aikman. Hes not the nicest guy or something like that
Old 08-06-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch13
So what are yall trying to say about aikman. Hes not the nicest guy or something like that
I can't speak for anybody else, but my comment was directed at the Raiders
Al Davis who I thought may have commited a snub towards Aikman. That's the only reference I made to Aikmen.
Old 08-06-2006   #20
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I dunno, but isn't Steinberg Carr's agent ? If not, am thinking former agent ?
But along those same lines, in one comment when referenceing the other new
HOF members on the stage besides the one he was nominating, I could have
sworn Al Davis mentioned everybody but Aikman ? And even though old Al looked like hell, he's still got that sharp mind as he whipped thru his nominating speech with not many gliches . So don't think it was an accidentaql omission ? Not sure, though.
No, I caught that too! BUT he did mention Aikman later. *** I am going off of memory ***, I did not go back and check the actual transcript. I do recall thinking the same things and then saying to myself "nice catch Al, to make sure Aikman was included in the big list while he's standing 3 yards away from you."

His speech wasn't a big surprise for me, because he basically repeated the same stuff that he has been giving in interviews for the past week. I did enjoy watching him say "Raida's Football" a few times.

The thing that stuck out most to me with him ( and Madden ) was that they never once mentioned Stabler and I did not see Stabler in the audience either. They both made sure that they mentioned the Lytle fumble though! and not the mystery roughing the passer call... silver and black indeed.
---

Madden also made a dumb speech error too... I don't know how many people caught it ( or how many really care, they are football players afterall! ), but he started this story about how he never had to work a day in his life and then in the next speech segment he is talking about how the 'coach is out there working'. If I had a yellow screen marker I would circle it and draw the lines to the two words...

“Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they're bigger than everybody else, and that's what makes them the biggest guys on the field.” - Madden

---

Player Agents are a good topic for HOF stuff too.

Reggie White

Quote:
Reggie White endured more than a decade of bone-crushing hits as a defensive lineman, but the future hall of famer didn't last two months in the trenches of the agent business.

Earlier this year, while working with veteran agent James "Bus" Cook, White said he quickly became disgusted by agents trying to steal their competitors' clients, and by athletes trying to play their suitors for a quick buck.

White said he was also the victim of nasty rumors spread by agents "who didn't even know me," and that he heard about even worse dirty tricks during a pre-draft recruiting season that has been described by veteran football agents as the meanest ever.

"It makes you want to put your hands around people's necks," White said. "I think there needs to be some reform and some major penalties taken against some of these guys."

Although White's career as an agent was short-lived, his sentiments echo those of longtime industry veterans who said the business of representing athletes, especially in the rough and tumble worlds of baseball, hockey, basketball and football, is at a crisis stage.

Tom Reich, who has been a top baseball and hockey agent for 33 years, said there are agents who are honorable, but that he knows of counterparts who offer "bounties" to anyone who will deliver prize athlete clients.

"The impropriety and corruption is, absolutely, as I look back, at an all-time high," Reich said. "It's like Al Capone's Chicago and it's despicable."
http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com...&featureId=243

agents... every one of them, scum of the earth. Two bucks over primordial ooze... and that's only because they could make a buck doing it.

Last edited by TwinSisters; 08-06-2006 at 03:41 PM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read