Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 08-05-2006   #1
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12713 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Parcells says 'things are not going well'

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5824584

"Things are not going well," Parcells said Friday. "I'm worried about that, and a little frustrated, with things in a couple of places where we should be better than what they are. But it's the first week of the season so I have to keep that in perspective as well."

Parcells has said for several days that the defense is far ahead of the offense, starting with the line. When the blocking falters, it's more difficult for the running backs to find holes and for quarterbacks to complete passes.

"That's generally where you are at this point in camp. The defense is always ahead of the offense," quarterback Drew Bledsoe said. "Obviously we've got to take steps forward, but it's not something that I'm pressing the panic button on now."

A few days ago, Parcells thought some of his position coaches were spending too much time explaining things while they were on the field. He prefers they do that in meetings and use practices to see whether they can do it. So he added more 11-on-11 drills, when coaches can't be a security blanket.

Now he's considering adding more two-a-days.

"I'm not sure," he said. "But I know I got to make progress here."

The team has had two-a-days every other day, with Friday marking their fourth. Only five more are scheduled the remaining two-plus weeks of camp.

Parcells expects to have a better idea of where his team is after a 90-play scrimmage Saturday.
Old 08-05-2006   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"This is really the toughest time of the season in pro football," Parcells said. "The players are tired, they don't see any light at the end of the tunnel, they don't have a game, it's just not that much fun for them. So I have to take that into consideration.
There may be more problems as relate to precamp attitudinal and physical preparation than what Parcells is relaying to the media. Tired????? The poor girls.....they're not having fun...and all this under the consistently unbearable conditions of 70 degree high temperatures with 70% humidity (yesterday at Oxnard, Calif).

In contrast, most of the Texans players interviewed have revealed that they feel that the work is tough.............but they UPBEAT and ARE Having FUN in this new regime.

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 08-05-2006 at 08:20 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #3
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

That's just Parcells being Parcells, I don't take much into account with him.. He says things to get his guys going. Being a Giants fan when he took them to two SB's, this is his way of stirring the pot. IMO, he likes to make things sound worse off than they really are..

Again, screw the Boys, but Parcells is just being himself....7 days til the hitting begins !!
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #4
Carr Bombed
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 104725 Carr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respectedCarr Bombed is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobie
That's just Parcells being Parcells, I don't take much into account with him.. He says things to get his guys going. Being a Giants fan when he took them to two SB's, this is his way of stirring the pot. IMO, he likes to make things sound worse off than they really are..

Again, screw the Boys, but Parcells is just being himself....7 days til the hitting begins !!
exactly, I had to live in Dallas for a little while and heard all of Parcells press conferences over the last two seasons. The Cowboys could be knocking everybodies shoes off right now and he's going to tell them they suck, its just what he does.
Carr Bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 239367 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
exactly, I had to live in Dallas for a little while and heard all of Parcells press conferences over the last two seasons. The Cowboys could be knocking everybodies shoes off right now and he's going to tell them they suck, its just what he does.
..........or just maybe this year they do suck.
Old 08-05-2006   #6
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

At any rate, it don't hurt my feelings any. I'm a Parcells fan since way back, but can't feel anything for him while he's a "Girl".

By the way...why do they call him the "Big Tuna" anyway??? Always wondered but could never figure that one out.
Old 08-05-2006   #7
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Asylum
At any rate, it don't hurt my feelings any. I'm a Parcells fan since way back, but can't feel anything for him while he's a "Girl".

By the way...why do they call him the "Big Tuna" anyway??? Always wondered but could never figure that one out.
He got it when he was an assistant coach with the Patriots. Apparently a player made a joke and Parcells responded back "Who do you think I am, Charlie the Tuna?" (A reference to the cartoon character from the Starkist commercials) They called him the Tuna since.

Hope that helps
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2006   #8
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Parcells is the football equivalent of JVG. Things are always bad with the team according to them even if they aren't.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #9
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink

I hate to revel in someone else's misery....ahh, what the heck, it's the Cowboys!
Old 08-05-2006   #10
Revolution
All Pro

Rep Power: 304 Revolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respectedRevolution is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
Parcells is the football equivalent of JVG. Things are always bad with the team according to them even if they aren't.
Parcell's is pro football's version of Lou Holtz. Lou Holtz's teams were always on the verge of a winless season if you listened to him.
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #11
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 33364 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan

No Savvy.
Old 08-05-2006   #12
Texan Asylum
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch13
He got it when he was an assistant coach with the Patriots. Apparently a player made a joke and Parcells responded back "Who do you think I am, Charlie the Tuna?" (A reference to the cartoon character from the Starkist commercials) They called him the Tuna since.

Hope that helps
Thanks Hutch...
Old 08-05-2006   #13
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan Asylum

And here's the WHY specifically:

[Coach Parcells discusses how he got the nickname ''Tuna'' at a 1997 press conference.]
Bill Parcells: I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started.
Old 08-05-2006   #14
Texan Asylum
Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
And here's the WHY specifically:

[Coach Parcells discusses how he got the nickname ''Tuna'' at a 1997 press conference.]
Bill Parcells: I think it goes back to my first time with the Patriots. There was an old commercial from StarKist with Charlie the StarKist tuna. So my players were trying to con me on something one time, and I said, 'You must think I'm Charlie the Tuna,' you know, a sucker, and that's kind of how it started. We started with it that year and [Charlie and the other fish] used to wear those little tuna helmets, you know, tuna pictures on their helmets. That's where it all started.
And thanks to you as well Cloak...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read