Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2006   #1
Sco-tai
Veteran

Default DB wish list

It's fairly obvious that we're going to have to dig through other camps "scraps" to find some DB's that can help out while we wait for our guys to recover. And this could possibly involve using some of said "scraps" as starters even. With that in mind, are there any guys out there you think have a good chance of getting cut, but would be a quality pick-up considering the Texan's situation?

The 1 guy that immediately came to mind for me was a DB we drafted right after Glen Earl also from ND....Vontez Duff. I remember really liking him when he was in college and would love to see us get him back. He's currently listed at the tail end of the Giant's depth chart, so it looks like we could get him pretty soon.

Anyone else that looks like a good possible "sleeper"?
Old 08-04-2006   #2
real

I don't think the Texans are going to get any more yound guys...or relatively young...I think they would like to add more DB's in line with the experience of Dexter McCleon...
Old 08-04-2006   #3
El Amigo Invisible
All Pro

I think this is a great thread to start! I do not have answer for you but I wanted to ask a question. Why didn't we draft a CB or DB in this year's draft?I know we needed a tight end/O Line but werenh't there a couple of steals in the later rounds?
El Amigo Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #4
whiskeyrbl

what about Ahmed Plummer from SF ?
Old 08-04-2006   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrbl
what about Ahmed Plummer from SF ?
He retired
Old 08-04-2006   #6
texflex513
All Pro

Texans signed CB Earthwind Moreland anybody ever heard of him?

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/tr...20Transactions
texflex513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

At the rate we're going we will all end up wishing we could get Marcus Coleman to come back and play CB for us before long. I wonder if either he or Aaron Glenn will shake loose in Dallas?

As another poster noted I think the young guys who can play are going to be harder to come by from here on out. We're going to see young guys who can't do much more than play special teams and old guys who've lost a step. In that case give me the old guy who can play since it's a stop-gap measure anyway.
Old 08-04-2006   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Hasn't played in a year so interesting signing
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/192400

I personally think we're okay at CB right now with Robinson, Buchanon, McCleon, Sanders, and Garrett
Old 08-04-2006   #9
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texflex513

Started for the Patriots the season Ty Law broke his foot.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 251514 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know Berman must have done an "Earth, Wind, and Fire" nickname on him. How could he not have? If he started an entire season while Ty law was out then you know Berman must have been stalking him for a highlight, ANY highlight just to say that.
Old 08-04-2006   #11
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

Quote:

Trivia question:

What is Earthwind Moreland's parents favorite singing group?
Old 08-04-2006   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Amigo Invisible
I think this is a great thread to start! I do not have answer for you but I wanted to ask a question. Why didn't we draft a CB or DB in this year's draft?I know we needed a tight end/O Line but werenh't there a couple of steals in the later rounds?
What positions didn't we need this offseason? There were a limited number of picks:

Worst DL in the NFL last year and were transitioning to a 4-3: Mario Williams
We couldn't tackle. Did you watch the Seattle game last year?: DRyans
Worst in the league in sacks allowed again: Spencer and Winston
The franchising all-time best TE to date was Billy Miller: ODaniels
Dominick Davis hasn't played a full season yet: Wali Lundy

exactly where in the draft did the team not draft value and need?
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #13
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

We've needed a good secondary for a couple of years now. In fact, I remember having a glimmer of hope that Houston would trade out of the #1 spot and take Huff.

The Texans' problems in the secondary weren't as noticeable because the rest of the team looked so bad, but with the teams we play against this year, we could be hurting due to a lack of secondary.

Maybe next season is the year we draft/sign somebody else to the secondary...
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #14
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1699 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

There was no point in drafting a safety or corner since we already have Glenn Earl, CC Brown, Lewis Sanders, Chris McKenzie, etc., guys that we have not seen the best from.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #15
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
We've needed a good secondary for a couple of years now. In fact, I remember having a glimmer of hope that Houston would trade out of the #1 spot and take Huff.

The Texans' problems in the secondary weren't as noticeable because the rest of the team looked so bad, but with the teams we play against this year, we could be hurting due to a lack of secondary.

Maybe next season is the year we draft/sign somebody else to the secondary...
This team had so many holes at then end of last year there was no way they were going to fill of fix everything. IMO, they did a great job of addressing the must needs (the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball) first to start to be competitive.

Having said that, if you can get to the quarterback, your DBs work less or make marginal DBs look good.

The front seven is way improved this year and the DB problem may not be as bad as everyone thinks if the front seven can control the line of scrimmage and get to the quarterback.

Let's not start freaking out just yet and make rash decisions...

Also, this is a 2 to 3 year plan to get this team to the playoffs, and there is no need to mortgage this team for this season. Another draft and free agency and this squad could be very strong next season.

Patience is key here...
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 335478 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
Having said that, if you can get to the quarterback, your DBs work less or make marginal DBs look good.
Example A--the Patriots in 2004 playing the guy the Texans just signed and WR Tim Brown as DB's after they had what 4 starters go down.
Old 08-04-2006   #17
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:

Earth, Wind, More, Land is the youngest son of the lead singer of Eart, Wind & Fire that great group from the 1980s. :bananasplit:
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #18
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
This team had so many holes at then end of last year there was no way they were going to fill of fix everything. IMO, they did a great job of addressing the must needs (the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball) first to start to be competitive.

The front seven is way improved this year and the DB problem may not be as bad as everyone thinks if the front seven can control the line of scrimmage and get to the quarterback.

Let's not start freaking out just yet and make rash decisions...

Also, this is a 2 to 3 year plan to get this team to the playoffs, and there is no need to mortgage this team for this season. Another draft and free agency and this squad could be very strong next season.

Patience is key here...
Exactly. We should fall about the middle in wins. I think another strong draft will kick us into upper 25% the following season. I think Smith/Kubes are building the team to last.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #19
THEFUTURE
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Example A--the Patriots in 2004 playing the guy the Texans just signed and WR Tim Brown as DB's after they had what 4 starters go down.
ummmm.... Tim Brown? you mean Troy... I would hope Tim Brown never had to play DB for the Pats
THEFUTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #20
EF55
Rookie

With this kind of need it makes one wonder why they didn't take a hard run at Ty law. Of course they did not know they would also have injuries in this area but it was still an area that needed to be addressed.
Being an Eagles fan first and (trying to be) a Texans fan 2nd, I can tell you they should keep an eye on who gets cut from that camp. there are a couple of guys they're just not going to have roster space for,

If matt Ware or dexter wynn get cut these are young guys who have played in big games and are still developing. Dexter Wynn is more of a nickle back situational DB but he also does kick returns OK

I'm pretty certain at least one of those guys will not make the roster,
Strickland is another guy but I think he will edge out both Ware and Wynn for the Roster spot. They may move Ware from CB to safety but they have pretty good competition there already.

I am a homer when it comes to the birds but they really do stockpile and develop DB's very well. They do not develop receivers very well but DB's yes.
Al Harris is a perfect example of this from the past he is afixture in Green bay and he was strictly a backup or situational guy for the eagles.

If I were Kubiak I would look at whoever they place on the practice squad after final cuts at that position and go after him.
EF55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read