Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2006   #1
pittbull
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to pittbull
Default honestly, Travis Johnson?

Man, I hope that all guys play to their potential, and I pray their all successful, but this guy looks like he is going through the motions, just collecting a check. Being reduced to special teams, when you are the 2005 #1 should be an embarrassment, and he still looks like he is just happy to be there. I hope someone is able to light a fire under him and get the juices flowing. He could help and already tough playing D-Line! He looked like a slug at the training camps I have been to
Old 08-03-2006   #2
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 35052 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

Stick a fork in him.
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #3
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

hasnt really done much. i never liked the pick
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #4
Zac
Rookie

He sure as heck talks real tough every time he is interviwed on T.V. And the first thing he mentions is how you don't put a 4-3 guy in a 3-4 defense, "GEESH". And he goes on and on about the team not putting his God given abilities to good use, all about how he has had to cover when he is best at rushing the quarterback.

But, those comments are natural of a guy whose destined to fail. EXCUSES!!! Who doesn't have them to hang their losses on? I bet everyone reading this post has enough excuses to put their lives to waste. But, everyone must perservere.

Johnson sure talks big, but he's proving that he is just giving excuses to collect a paycheck with his chin held up high. At least for the next couple of month. Before the excuses become annoying.

Prove me wrong Travis!!!
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

With the talent that we have on the DL right now we don't need him and it was a horrible pick in the first place. Looks like the whole 2005 draft turned out to be a horrible one, except for the 5th and 6th rounds where we got a couple pretty good players that have performed better than our first two picks (exactly why the late rounds matter just as much as the early ones). I wish we could just trade him and get this guy off our team. We don't need him and his work ethic.
Old 08-03-2006   #6
Zac
Rookie

There is one positive that has come from drafting Travis!!

Both Capers and Casserly are GONE

But Reality speaking! It's a shame that the Texans virtually had to waste the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks last year on Travis and Buchanon. That is pure incompetence. Irrelevant is the fact of wether Travis and/or Buchanon amount to anything in the future. These 2 guys high on potential were the same ones whom the old regim were counting on last year to provide a spark to make a playoff run; the 2-14 season as a result cleaned house.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #7
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

I'm not giving up on this guy until he has had one year in the 4-3. He was a monster for streches in college and and could get into the backfield and reak havoc. So I say give him one more year before he is run out of town.
Old 08-04-2006   #8
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

man this thread is bringing back bad memories. cass and capers. :brickwall
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-minus67
I'm not giving up on this guy until he has had one year in the 4-3. He was a monster for streches in college and and could get into the backfield and reak havoc. So I say give him one more year before he is run out of town.
You may...........Kub may not.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #10
Reddevil63
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 Reddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotReddevil63 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Send a message via AIM to Reddevil63 Send a message via Yahoo to Reddevil63

There was a play tonight during the 2-minute drills where he was 1 on 1 with Weary and he just collapsed, layed there for a minute or two and got up and lumbered off of the field. From what I have seen in limited time, he shouldnt even make the team.
Old 08-04-2006   #11
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1726 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
With the talent that we have on the DL right now we don't need him and it was a horrible pick in the first place. Looks like the whole 2005 draft turned out to be a horrible one, except for the 5th and 6th rounds where we got a couple pretty good players that have performed better than our first two picks (exactly why the late rounds matter just as much as the early ones). I wish we could just trade him and get this guy off our team. We don't need him and his work ethic.
Mathis was taken in the 4th round.

And drafting Morency after he failed at baseball and was marginal at football and was 26, was a waste of our 3rd round pick.
Old 08-04-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
And it looks like he's going to be out for awhile this year...

Basically, the 2005 draft did nothing for our team. We got one solid starter in CC Brown but that's all.
Old 08-04-2006   #13
phan1
All Pro

Quote:

And drafting Morency after he failed at baseball and was marginal at football and was 26, was a waste of our 3rd round pick.
Morency was definitely not a bad 3rd round pick. There were a whole lot of reports saying he was the best RB after the big 3 of Benson, Cadillac, and Brown.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #14
Trapped
Veteran

at least we got Eric Winston? does he count? Gyea, it's almost safe to say that Travis is going to be a bust. I don't see him turning it around anytime soon.
Most users ever online was 1,493, 04-28-2006 at 09:04 PM
Trapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #15
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

And I wanted Mark Clayton so bad...I thought he might be a reach at 16, considering he was supposed to go about 20, but then we get Travis Johnson who was supposed to be around 24 or 25. Mark has been so much more successful then the slob we have in Travis Johnson.
Old 08-04-2006   #16
ocd
Rookie

So we all agree that the last regime was incompetent? Good.

This regime will do many things differently but I don't think they'll cut TJ. He was the 16th pick last year and based on how the reports are coming out of TC as him being lazy, what could we get for him in trade? Very little.

We'll keep him as insurance and he'll get his shot cause somebody's gonna get injured. Hopefully, he'll step up big in games because of the pressure.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd
very sloppy handling of a multi-million dollar investment, agreed. now this makes two years in a row the Texans used their first pick on the defensive line. Not trying to bash (looks like a Monster) but Bush is going to carry a team, not to mention VY. the idea from a drafting standpoint at the top of the board is to take the bpa, have the moxie to utilize his talents and mold your team around that individual.

Travis Johnson could have been selected in the 2nd rd. (oh wait they traded that pick plus their 3rd for PB). if they had to go DL I would have taken Luis Castillo (Chargers) but as someone had already mentioned a solid #2 WR to compliment Andre like Mark Clayton would have been nicer.

back to the ocd -
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #18
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
... drafting Morency after he failed at baseball and was marginal at football and was 26, was a waste of our 3rd round pick.
Morency has been looking good recently. He's getting a ton of first team reps in camp. When (not if) DDs knee flares up again they will call his number often. He's our fastest back. Hardly a waste of a pick. For some reason I'm not concerned about RB. Between DD, Morency, Smith, Taylor and Lundy, they will find a combination that's effective.

Travis is Travis. He needs to bring back the Mr. T cut or chug a few of those energy drinks they're giving away in the parking lot or something. The only thing I saw different last night was they brought him in (instead of Payne) when they went to that 5-2 short yardage front. Although you can't make depth chart inferences from that since they might have been resting Payne for some reason. I noticed more flip-flopping of first, second, and sometimes third teams last night. With all the injuries, part of it is to preserve health I'm sure.

Quote of the night. Rick Smith standing on the sidelines, catches an errant pass from either Carr of Rosenfels (can't remember) that went over the head of the receiver and the DB. He caught the pass with one hand - his left hand. Voice from the stands: "Sign yourself up," which brought a huge grin across Smith's face.

Last edited by aj.; 08-04-2006 at 07:12 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover
very sloppy handling of a multi-million dollar investment, agreed. now this makes two years in a row the Texans used their first pick on the defensive line. Not trying to bash (looks like a Monster) but Bush is going to carry a team, not to mention VY. the idea from a drafting standpoint at the top of the board is to take the bpa, have the moxie to utilize his talents and mold your team around that individual.
I must have missed the memo that both Bush and VY will be carrying their team and not Mario. Can you please forward us the memo?

I hope we never mold a team around an individual that is way to much investment, which has been my problem with Carr.
Old 08-04-2006   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
I must have missed the memo that both Bush and VY will be carrying their team and not Mario. Can you please forward us the memo?

I hope we never mold a team around an individual that is way to much investment, which has been my problem with Carr.
Hopefully our biggest investment, in the new "System"/coaching minds, will prove to overshadow the investment in any one individual player.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read