Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2006   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Texans who could make this season great.

I'll probably get ripped for this...

1.Walters wide receiver that @ 25 might be hitting his prime at the right time with the right team. The slot may offer him some good yardage with attention on Moulds and Johnson. A few solid gains would force defenses to account for him and that would only make Johnson & Moulds lick their chops.

2. Morency this DD clone could take the team to greatness. I love DD but a bone bruise can only take so many shots. Vernand seems to be taking the one cut & going vertical as requested. Other teams may not be very aware of him yet.

3. Rosenfels: Ok, don't laugh so hard. Even with better protection, it is not impossible to see Carr go out injured. If Sage can just be a steady QB and make the right read on passes and hand the ball off 60 %, I think this team could still do ok. Sure hope Carr doesn't go out for more than a play or 2.

4. Buchanon. Yes, I said it. He could lead the team in interceptions. I've been negative about pburnt but if he could just become an above average corner, an interception or a knocked down pass could be the difference in a win.

I realize that others such as Mario or DeMeco, Johnson, Moulds or DD could be all pro but I expect more from them than the above four.
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #2
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Then rip me as well, as I agree.
Old 08-03-2006   #3
Bartkoman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
I'll probably get ripped for this...

1.Walters wide receiver that @ 25 might be hitting his prime at the right time with the right team. The slot may offer him some good yardage with attention on Moulds and Johnson. A few solid gains would force defenses to account for him and that would only make Johnson & Moulds lick their chops.
I couldnt have said it better myself.

When we got Walter, I thought it was a solid pick-up. When we got Moulds, it made the Walter deal look even better. Walter would have been a solid WR threat, but not really a #2 that would free up Andre. But with Moulds as the #2, Walter may be the best slot reciever in the league!!

It will be interesting to see how defenses will cover all three.
Old 08-03-2006   #4
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkoman
I couldnt have said it better myself.

When we got Walter, I thought it was a solid pick-up. When we got Moulds, it made the Walter deal look even better. Walter would have been a solid WR threat, but not really a #2 that would free up Andre. But with Moulds as the #2, Walter may be the best slot reciever in the league!!

It will be interesting to see how defenses will cover all three.
With the new and improved WR corp we have, I'm hoping and praying that coach Kub will instill the correct blocking scheme in the minds of our line. DC has to have time to get the ball to them. I guess we'll see during the pre-season games. I can't wait!:bananasplit:
Old 08-03-2006   #5
wrestler4life
Veteran

I am still very leery about the line. I am sure that they will be better, but I am unsure if David is going to have the time to get the ball downfield past 20 yards.
Old 08-03-2006   #6
SESupergenius

Well let's look at it objectively.

Are we better Yes or No
  • General mananger (yes) - Casserly is gone and takes his bad record of player personnel with him. Rick Smith is a Denver man and has basically already bonded with Kubiak well before he was a Texan
  • Coaching (yes) - Capers had his problem and lost the team. Kubiak brings in a west coast sytle offense that I've been pleading for for a couple of years now. The bigger question is can he be a head coach, which is different than an assistant. (see Capers). One of biggest changes is both the offensive and defensive coordinators. Different schemes that obviously has to be better than Fangio and Palmer/Pendry.
  • Quarterback (yes) - Just by changing the system to Carr's strengths and giving him the ability to go back to the kind of system he excelled with when he was in college, makes him automatically better than the predictable scheme he was lumped into previously. Rosenfels I think is an upgrade over Banks so if Carr get injured I think we are ok.
  • Running back - (no) We are not better, especially with DD being hurt. But we knew this in the offseason. We upgraded over Hollings with Smith, that'll give us a good small yardage back, but we are lacking an explosive running back.
  • Wide Receiver (yes) - Moulds is a definite upgrade over Gaffney and his veteran leadership alone makes everyone better. We essentially have 2 #1 receivers, something that has been lacking for us for a very long time. Walters could very be our 3rd receiver even if Mathis comes back. I never really saw anything from him last year receiver wise that made me think he was going to press AJ for a starting spot.
  • Tight End - (yes) We haven't had much here but with Putzier and Joppru available we should be better. Putzier already knows the system and will be able to share this with the others.
  • Offensive line - (no) I say that we aren't better because in the short term we aren't. Even if Spencer or Winston gets the starting slot, they are still rookies and will make many rookie mistakes. In the long term we will be better off, but as it stands now, we've upgraded only 1 position in Flanagan and may be facing a rookie at another. Keep in mind that our line was in a zone blocking type scheme last year and the results were pretty bad. It may be a new system that Kubiak brings in, but I would think they are similar in many ways.
  • Defensive line (yes) - We lost Walker and basically replaced him with Mario Williams. Having 3-4 good tackles if going to do wonders for our depth and moving Babin and Peek to be just pure rushers might like a significant fire under this defense. TJ is supposed to step it up in his 2nd year but I just don't see that happening, in fact I like Malone better than TJ. He's tilting to becoming a bust.
  • Linebackers (no) - That all depends how Ryans pans out this year. I just don't see Orr, Cowart, Wong or Greenwood as being 'monsters' at their positions. If Ryans can break through to the starting lineup then we've upgraded, but if not we still have a bunch of mid-tiered backers that make mistakes and lapse at times.
  • Cornerbacks - (no) - Dunta is our best cornerback when he should be our second best cornerback. We need talent here and didn't upgrade in the offseason relying on Faggins and Buchanon to step up. I just don't see it.
  • Safeties - (no) - Earl might do better in a 4-3 sceme as well as CC, they are unproven and will have to step it up, but in reality they won't strike fear into any passer in our division.
Old 08-03-2006   #7
jparrish
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
4. Buchanon. Yes, I said it. He could lead the team in interceptions. I've been negative about pburnt but if he could just become an above average corner, an interception or a knocked down pass could be the difference in a win.
It was the difference in the win over the Browns last season.
jparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2006   #8
kingh99

MW is looking like a bucket of trouble here. Does anyone recall Richard Seymour having bad toes? Kearse? The Texans need a break. This number 1 pick has been taken off the field twice now because of foot problems. Anyone else wondering wtf is going on here?
Old 08-03-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99
MW is looking like a bucket of trouble here. Does anyone recall Richard Seymour having bad toes? Kearse? The Texans need a break. This number 1 pick has been taken off the field twice now because of foot problems. Anyone else wondering wtf is going on here?
Chill there, Sparky! It's nothing to get all rowled up about. IMO, it's better to happen during TC than the season. He'll be fine
Old 08-03-2006   #10
phan1
All Pro

1) if Demeco could emerge as not just a solid starting LB but a future pro-bowler, I think that would be huge. It would really be great to have some leadership at that position. To have a playmaker like that behind our front 4 would really be awsome.

2) Buchanon. We need him to perform, nuff said.

3) Carr. He's our franchise QB. Also enough said.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #11
Doom Capers
Veteran

PBuc has a lot fo talent. I think this new coaching staff may help him use it. Our pass rush could help him make a lot of big plays too.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #12
J-Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Well let's look at it objectively.

Are we better Yes or No...
[*]Cornerbacks - (no) - Dunta is our best cornerback when he should be our second best cornerback. We need talent here and didn't upgrade in the offseason relying on Faggins and Buchanon to step up. I just don't see it.
[/list]
SES...you're kidding right? Robinson is one of the best young DBs in the league and has the potential to be a top 5 corner this year if we display any semblance of pass rush.

Eat 'em Up, KATS!
J-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #13
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingh99
So he's missed 2 practices because of toe problems. Does anyone else think everyones starting to get paranoid about injuries?
Old 08-03-2006   #14
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORK 88
So he's missed 2 practices because of toe problems. Does anyone else think everyones starting to get paranoid about injuries?

I think they are afraid we will lose a lot to injuries, much as we need everyone working together, learning together in the new offense and defense. I for one see a LOT more teams resting players not having them go every practice AND I see a lot more teams with SERIOUS injuries (Pats Brady with sore arm and knee brace, Teddy Bruschi fractured wrist) then us.

I hope we stay healthy as a few areas we are not exactly deep with talent (RB, LB, DB). But I am sure Kubiak and Co. know what they are doing
Old 08-04-2006   #15
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Man
SES...you're kidding right? Robinson is one of the best young DBs in the league and has the potential to be a top 5 corner this year if we display any semblance of pass rush.
Well l guess I should preface every comment I make on a player that this was based on the old scheme and old coaches, but I watched Robinson way too much last year to come away thinking he's a top 5 talent. His play last year was subpar, along with everyone else on this team. He's not beyond criticism, but he's not a shut down corner either. Like everyone else on this team, a clean slate is given to him as well. I don't know how much man coverage we are going to run this year (I've been so acustomed to the 3-4 for almost 15 years with the Texans and Steelers), but he's going up against the top receivers in the league this year in Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison (twice) and Randy Moss. I cut him a little slack just right there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read