Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Bum Phillips visit the Texans

The team needs the inspiration. Must of been a great feeling for the Texans to see a former legend...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/4088266.html

Quote:
Bum talks to Texans

Former Oilers coach Bum Phillips visited the afternoon practice. Coach Gary Kubiak, who served as one of Phillips' ball boys for two years in San Angelo, asked Phillips to address the team before practice.

When Phillips, 81, entered the practice bubble, he couldn't figure out if it was proper to keep his cowboy hat on or take it off. So he took it off.

"It was great to see Bum here," Kubiak said. "It brought back a lot of memories.

"When I asked him to talk to the players, he got real excited. He told them some stories about what it takes to be a winner. It was good to see him."

Phillips and his wife, Debbie, were visiting from Goliad, where they reside on a ranch.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #2
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 54346 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
The team needs the inspiration. Must of been a great feeling for the Texans to see a former legend...

There is an article in this mornings Chronic (thurs) about a few former Oiler players also attending practice. Wouldn't it be a kick to Buds pride if former Oiler players adopted the present Houston franchise as their team of choice.

Why shouldn't they? I doubt Nashville means anything to them.

Is my dislike for Bud showing?

Old 08-03-2006   #3
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 30085 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Bum Rules!!!
Old 08-03-2006   #4
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is fantastic. Kudos to Kubiak and staff to have the foresight to bring in Bum and address the team. This is the kind of culture we need on this team, and I think the fans really appreciate it too.
Old 08-03-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life

Thanks for the article.

But one thing, once a legend, always a legend. Bum is one-of-a-kind.
Old 08-03-2006   #6
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

The former oilers are more than just visiting. "Haywood Jeffires, Bubba McDowell, Curtis Duncan, Don Trull, Zeke Moore, Charlie Frazier and Butch Woolfolk are the former oilers who are featured with Texas A&M product Jacob Green, who played with the Seahawks. The eight former players will represent the Texans in the community, helping to promote the team and connect with the fans."
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #7
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Thanks for the article.

But one thing, once a legend, always a legend. Bum is one-of-a-kind.
Man-Law!
Old 08-03-2006   #8
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

Awesome. Any inspiration for this team at this point is well worth it if it translates into the beginning of winning seasons for this team.
Old 08-03-2006   #9
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFan
Awesome. Any inspiration for this team at this point is well worth it if it translates into the beginning of winning seasons for this team.
Bum is one of a kind, threw away the mold after he was made. Wouldnt it be awesome to see Kubiak name him as an Honorary Texans coach and have him address the team from time to time throughout the season?
Old 08-03-2006   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampede
The former oilers are more than just visiting. "Haywood Jeffires, Bubba McDowell, Curtis Duncan, Don Trull, Zeke Moore, Charlie Frazier and Butch Woolfolk are the former oilers who are featured with Texas A&M product Jacob Green, who played with the Seahawks. The eight former players will represent the Texans in the community, helping to promote the team and connect with the fans."
Don Trull!

if you didn't know already...
http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...w.163716c.html
Old 08-03-2006   #11
Stampede
Veteran

Ha, thanks TwinSisters, interesting find.
Old 08-03-2006   #12
Stampede
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
yeah that would be awesome but I doubt that would happen.
I doubt that it would happen either, but I was suprised to find out that they have a bit of history together. From Wednesday's Chron. "Former Oilers coach Bum Phillips visited the afternoon practice. Coach Gary Kubiak, who served as one of Phillips' ball boys for two years in San Angelo, asked Phillips to address the team before practice."
Old 08-03-2006   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Great quotes from Coach Phillips...

"Because she is too ugly to kiss goodbye."
- When asked by Bob Costas why he takes his wife on all the road trips,

"I don't know if Earl's in a class by himself, but it sure don't take long to call roll."

"Bear Bryant could take his'n and beat your'n, or he could take your'n and beat his'n."

"Weíre not giving away any football players who could hurt us later. I donít mind people thinking Iím stupid, but I donít want to give them any proof."

"There's only two kinds of coaches. The kind that have just been fired and the kind that are going to get fired."
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006   #14
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

If that don't give these boys a boost nothing will. Bum was and still is one of my favorite coaches in the NFL
Old 08-03-2006   #15
Buffi2
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 631 Buffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respectedBuffi2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexNative
If that don't give these boys a boost nothing will. Bum was and still is one of my favorite coaches in the NFL
I'll second that. :bananasplit:
Buffi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #16
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffi2
I'll second that. :bananasplit:
I didn't live here, so I wasn't an Oiler fan, but I remember it was so obvious the the two best teams in the NFL were the Steelers and the Oilers......and the gap to #3 was deep.

What bad timing. If everything could have happened a couple years later, the Oilers could have been another dynasty.
Old 08-04-2006   #17
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Great quotes from Coach Phillips...
you left a few out, but that's ok. He has a lot.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/dream/week13.html

Quote:
"Let them be America's Team," Phillips said. "I'd rather be Texas' team."
Old 08-04-2006   #18
TexanBorn51
Veteran

Rep Power: 1327 TexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBorn51 is a quality contributor and well respected

Luv Ya Blue then and now it's Luv Ya Red, White and Blue time. Thanks for the memories Bum.
TexanBorn51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006   #19
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Aaaah the memories!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
you left a few out, but that's ok. He has a lot.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/dream/week13.html

Twin, thanks for that link. It sure brought back alot of fond memories! I just hope our Texans can play with that same fight and attitude that those old Bum Phillips teams had!

P.S. Love those old quotes too!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006   #20
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6672 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Bum will always be "THE MAN". As I have stated on other threads. He's one of the most genuine men that I have ever met. What you see is exactly what you get.
One of my favorite quotes...when asked why he didn't have full contact during training camp? His response...."I checked the schedule and we don't play the Oilers".

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read