Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2006   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Kubiak and System makes RB Module Interchangeable

I know that many are concerned about the status of our running corps and who may be the stand out. However, as others on this board have repeatedly offered, a "stand out" is far from necessary in our system. This article seems to be a testament to this concept. [Warning: this is not a Reggie Bush thread....look past the title]:

8/2/2006
NFL Insights - Is Reggie Bush worth all the fuss?

Quote:
Talk of the town is about whether bush can carry a “normal” workload of 21 carries a game, the average of the top 10 NFL rushers last season. Well, I got words for those people….it’s the wrong question. The key to Bush’s success is whether he can complement what his team does and vice versa.

I recently talked to an offensive coach for Cincinnati and an offensive coach from Jacksonville and they both agreed that commitment to running is at least as important as who is doing the running. The Atlanta Falcons, Denver Broncos and Pittsburgh Steelers are exhibits A, B and C.

The Falcons have led the league in rushing the last two years with a quarterback, Michael Vick (YARDS 597-AVG 5.9-LONG 32-TD 6), who still runs better than he passes, and a diminutive running back, Warrick Dunn (YARDS 1416-AVG 5.1-LONG 65-TD 3), who carries only 17 times a game.

The Broncos have always run the ball well, whether Mike Anderson (YARDS 1014-AVG 4.2-LONG 44t-TD 12), Reuben Droughns (YARDS 1232-AVG 4.0-LONG75t-TD 2), or Clinton Portis (YARDS 1516-AVG 4.3-LONG 47t-TD 11) was doing the ball-carrying. They got rid of each, all of whom were team-leading or league-leading rushers. This year, Coach Mike Shanahan may try to prove his point with castoff Ron Dayne.

The Steelers won the Super Bowl with a running back, Parker (YARDS 1202-AVG 4.7-LONG 80t-TD 4), who wasn’t even drafted after barely playing as a collegian for Coach John Bunting at North Carolina.

Aren’t quarterbacks more important than running backs? They’re harder to find, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they’re more important.

The Broncos thought they had the ultimate answer at quarterback in John Elway. He didn’t win a Super Bowl until he was able to hand off to Terrell Davis, another star NFL rusher who was underutilized in college (Georgia).

So the question now is how much the Colts will miss James. They have great receivers, too, in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne. But even with James and quarterback Peyton Manning, a Super Bowl has escaped them.

Never underestimate the player without the “high” profile. There are a lot of high-quality backs without the high profile. Look at Dominic Rhodes, who is a definitely a good back. If he stays healthy and runs 250 times, he’ll gain 1,200 to 1,300 yards. He’s just a little bit unknown right now.

To be one of the top teams, you have to have a commitment to run the football. It’s tough to have a great running game without a high-quality back. When a team is fortunate enough to have a player that u can line up all over the place~that presents a problem for the defense.

A good running game is a good back and a good line.
Great RBs.........Less than great results

Last edited by Vinny; 08-02-2006 at 11:38 PM. Reason: the link is not working for some
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #2
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

bah - cant read it CnD - stupid work firewall filters the "Gambling" word - lol

But I'm with yah on the RB by committee of Denver makes the DD knee problem at least a bit more manageable - I think with DD going down it will give alot of the young guys [Morency, Taylor, Rhodes, Lundy] some much needed live reps and see if they can produce on the field. It's the same philosophy Denver used and while I dont like seeing DD with knee problems, its part of the game and one that Kubes scheme plans for thus why they can just plug in x Back and get 1000+ yards. I think the system will make things work well regardless of the "RB" inserted into the "Scheme" and look forward to seeing our Houston version of the next Mike Anderson, Terrel Davis, etc.. step up now that there is an opportunity to play.

Last edited by U4ikrob; 08-02-2006 at 01:54 PM.
U4ikrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #3
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

CnD good find, and I agree that our o-line play will be the main factor in weather or not the Texans have a good year or a great one. DD is a good back IMO he has proved this, his health is what everyone questions(rightfully so)With the backs Kubs has right now I feel he can work them into his sys. he's done it before he can do it againe. The concern is getting the o-line to play at a good level, this IMO is just going to take time and I hope everyone else out their has the resolve to give the team time to gel.Can't wait for first preseason game with KC should tell us alot.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 165989 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by U4ikrob
bah - cant read it CnD - stupid work firewall filters the "Gambling" word - lol

But I'm with yah on the RB by committee of Denver makes the DD knee problem at least a bit more manageable - I think with DD going down it will give alot of the young guys [Morency, Taylor, Rhodes, Lundy] some much needed live reps and see if they can produce on the field. It's the same philosophy Denver used and while I dont like seeing DD with knee problems, its part of the game and one that Kubes scheme plans for thus why they can just plug in x Back and get 1000+ yards. I think the system will make things work well regardless of the "RB" inserted into the "Scheme" and look forward to seeing our Houston version of the next Mike Anderson, Terrel Davis, etc.. step up now that there is an opportunity to play.
see if putting this in the address bar works for you www.theonlinewire.com/articleView.aspx?ID=1192
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #5
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't find this on-line but here is a comment from Kubiak...

This is verbatim from today's Houston Chronicle print edition (august 2, 06 - bottom of page c6):

"Vernand (Morency) is getting better every day. The more I see him in this system, the more there is to like. I'm very excited about what he's capable of doing as he continues to learn the system." - Coach Gary Kubiak, on the progress of second-year running back

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

i remember reading that too.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulexan
i remember reading that too.
I'm looking forward to see him step it up this year for us.
Old 08-02-2006   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I really hate this "Denver running back by committee" talk.... that's not what they did..... they were looking for their guy.... and it looks like Tatum Bell is that guy....... something about Anderson they didn't like.

We also won't be doing Running back by committe... we are going to have one guy.... it might look like RBBC, until we find the one, but it's not the same thing.

RBBC is more like what Tampa did with Alstott & Dunn....... a short yardage guy, and an every down utiltiy back..... they had different packages for different players.... to go with the tailbacks strengths......

Denver IMHO, has pretty much one running package, they didn't sub Mike Anderson in for short yardage or goal line situations..... it was more of a Let's see how Tatum does in this situation........ yeah, I like that, now let's boost ole Anderson's trade value a little...
Old 08-02-2006   #9
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Anderson left as a free agent. The only thing he didn't like is how much he was getting paid.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I really hate this "Denver running back by committee" talk.... that's not what they did..... they were looking for their guy.... and it looks like Tatum Bell is that guy....... something about Anderson they didn't like.

We also won't be doing Running back by committe... we are going to have one guy.... it might look like RBBC, until we find the one, but it's not the same thing.

RBBC is more like what Tampa did with Alstott & Dunn....... a short yardage guy, and an every down utiltiy back..... they had different packages for different players.... to go with the tailbacks strengths......

Denver IMHO, has pretty much one running package, they didn't sub Mike Anderson in for short yardage or goal line situations..... it was more of a Let's see how Tatum does in this situation........ yeah, I like that, now let's boost ole Anderson's trade value a little...
Well, if two or more of our RBs gain 2000 yds combined while they were trying to find one, then I'm all for it.
Old 08-02-2006   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Here's another Kubiak quote on Morency from houstontexans.com's 8/1 practice report by Ana Chavez:

Quote:
Kubiak did just that when approaching Vernand Morency’s running style.

“When I came here, I told him, ‘I don’t like the way you run, you dance too much, spin around too much, and we’re not going to do that. We’re going to go north and south,’” Kubiak said. “He listened and he’s trying to do it the way we want him to do it. I like his progress and I’m looking forward to seeing him in the preseason.”
Old 08-02-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Look at Edgerrin James (YARDS 1506-AVG 4.2-LONG 33-TD 13). He got a $30 million contract to jump boat from Indianapolis to Arizona after never getting to a Super Bowl with the Colts. Do the Cardinals really expect him to carry them there?
There's only about 11 M that is guaranteed there. We had put up almost that much vested-to-be money in Todd Wade when we got him from Miami a couple years ago, and even then he was rated only a slightly above average tackle who was not nearly a good enough pass blocker to ever be considered a LT prospect.
Pre-owned NFL running backs just don't have much open market value, but its
a different story for some of those guys in the college Draft, even though they have relatively short useful lives.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #13
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
see if putting this in the address bar works for you www.theonlinewire.com/articleView.aspx?ID=1192

Thanks for trying CnD - Unfortunately the enterprise "WebSense" thinks its too smart and filtered that too.

Thanks for posting the article up

I liked hearing that talk on Morrency i nthe Chron esp after Kubes saying as soon as he got here how much he didnt like his running style and he needed to change it. Good to see that young guy get out there and take the time to try and learn and grow with the new staff and system. I really hope one of these young RB's will step it up and give the team another playmaker to work with in the backfield. And given the system if we get our O-line in gear they could possibly have a good year.
Old 08-02-2006   #14
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny

This is verbatim from today's Houston Chronicle print edition (august 2, 06 - bottom of page c6):

"Vernand (Morency) is getting better every day. The more I see him in this system, the more there is to like. I'm very excited about what he's capable of doing as he continues to learn the system." - Coach Gary Kubiak, on the progress of second-year running back
I personally thought Morency looked very good in minicamps when he was getting more reps than he is now. He still danced a little too much but back then I remember telling one of my buddies that it looked as if Morency was trying to take Domanick's starting job, and this was before we knew Domanick would still be sidelined with his knee problem. He is steadily improving although he's still seen very few reps with the 1st team, as Smith and Taylor generally get the most and Lundy and Morency get some too. I think Morency can be a more solid runner than Domanick ever was, especially with Kubiak's new system (he doesn't have as good of hands, but that doesn't matter as much in this system). We will see if he gets enough reps to prove himself.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #15
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
He is steadily improving although he's still seen very few reps with the 1st team, as Smith and Taylor generally get the most ...
Didn't Coach C and Mork call this awhile back? ... Then I went to camp, saw it and became a believer myself. Taylor is gonna surprise a lot of people.
Old 08-02-2006   #16
The Preacher
Veteran

Good to hear if DD stays hurt, Taylor loses his apparent deserved hype, Lundy needs to time to learn etc., that Morency could jump to the forefront and plant himself as the man for the job. The more I hear the better the RB situation sounds.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read