Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2006   #1
joetexan
Rookie

Default Chris Taylor

Can you guys who have been talking about RB Chris Taylor fill us in about him? I know he's undrafted. That's...about...it.
joetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #2
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

To me...it is very hard to make any judgments on backs until there is full contact...but he looks like he has enough speed to get to the edge, but I think he is battling for the 3rd rb spot. I think Morency will take solid command of rb2 before the preseason is over.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #3
joetexan
Rookie

I've seen at least one avatar that has a photo of him and says, "Chris Taylor is a Beast." Anybody have any background on him i.e. college, stats, etc.?
joetexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
To me...it is very hard to make any judgments on backs until there is full contact...but he looks like he has enough speed to get to the edge, but I think he is battling for the 3rd rb spot. I think Morency will take solid command of rb2 before the preseason is over.
I think Smith will take the #2 spot. He is more experienced and has alot to teach, usually if you want a guy to teach your young running backs you would want to have the guy play enough to prove himself. But now that I think about it, I dont really think there are set depth charts in this offensive system. I'd bet that Morency and Smith would have the same amount of carries this season, but injuries that may occur/persist bring a whole new factor into it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #5
Lucky

Rep Power: 149994 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Taylor's college stats (courtesy of ESPN)

Chris Taylor's college bio
Old 08-01-2006   #6
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Chris Taylor's college stats (courtesy of ESPN)

Chris Taylor's college bio
Nice thanks, I was JUST about to look them up.

Edit: the one thing I notice about these stats are there aren't any real long touchdowns. That may mean that he does not have that break away speed come game time. There are alot of things that it could mean though, it could have been the system, etc.
Old 08-01-2006   #7
HeartofHouston
Veteran

Well what I know about him is that..

He played in a spread offense and he also shared carries with somebody else cant remember the guys name of the top of my head.
Old 08-01-2006   #8
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole
I think Smith will take the #2 spot. He is more experienced and has alot to teach, usually if you want a guy to teach your young running backs you would want to have the guy play enough to prove himself. But now that I think about it, I dont really think there are set depth charts in this offensive system. I'd bet that Morency and Smith would have the same amount of carries this season, but injuries that may occur/persist bring a whole new factor into it.
I think that Smith will be our goal line/short yardage back (unless we bring someone else in)....I don't see him as a primary back since I'm still very high on Vernand...jmo.

Old 08-01-2006   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does this mean Vinny, that you don't believe A. Smith will be making the squad?

I for one believe that this year will have Chris Taylor battling for the 4th RB spot for this season only. I think a year in the NFL will do him some good. I'm not sure what kind of ST player A. Smith is but I am sure he can contribute there, making him a little more valuable.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #10
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano

I for one believe that this year will have Chris Taylor battling for the 4th RB spot for this season only. I think a year in the NFL will do him some good. I'm not sure what kind of ST player A. Smith is but I am sure he can contribute there, making him a little more valuable.
read the post directly above yours.
Old 08-01-2006   #11
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

Yeah, I'm also still optimistic about Morency. I'm looking for him to be the #2 back this year behind DD. He has the ability to be a very productive back in the NFL and you'd think that if things work out as planned, he'd get a good number of carries.
Old 08-01-2006   #12
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think that Smith will be our goal line/short yardage back (unless we bring someone else in)....I don't see him as a primary back since I'm still very high on Vernand...jmo.
Ya, hes not a primary back, but a relief kind of guy. I think it depends on the situation, you know. If we are up by 10 points in the beginning of the fourth quarter who do you rotate with DD, Smith or Morency. I'd rather have Smith in that situation because he'd be fresher and could tire the defense more.

If DD couldn't start a game I would expect Morency to come in rather than Smith.
Old 08-01-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano

I typed in 3rd back...but I meant last rb on the roster....but yeah...I can see a scenario where Smith doesn't make the team....Taylor as well.

Old 08-01-2006   #14
fan no matter what
Rookie

do you guys think wali lundy will be in the mix?
fan no matter what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #15
ocd
Rookie

Vinny's right...you can't accurately judge a RB until the pads are on.

Things that will push a RB down the depth chart on this offense will be:

1. the obvious...not holding onto the football.

2. Dancing. Make your cut and go.

3. Not picking up your block consistently

Morency will have trouble just like Tatum Bell's having trouble in Denver. If he starts, because of injuries, he won't start long. Must be an OSU thing.

If Taylor and Lundy can hold onto the ball, they've got a legit chance of being the future.

I know, Domanick Davis. This injury thing could be worse, and take longer to heal, than many think. I just hope this doesn't go like it did with Terrell Davis.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #16
fan no matter what
Rookie

taylors stats from college reflect that he never fumbled the ball not even once

Old 08-01-2006   #17
fan no matter what
Rookie

reflect

oops
Old 08-01-2006   #18
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

FWIW I don't have any real strong feelings yet, but Taylor looks promising IMO. He is 220 lbs and quite fast, I would guess that Morency is the only back we have that is faster vertically. Taylor's best attributes are his size, his substantial open field speed, and the fact that he is very much a one-cut-and-go kind of back. He has made some rookie mistakes but I think he has a good chance of making the squad, behind Davis, Morency, and Smith. If Davis is questionable due to injury, this means that you will see Taylor in limited reps in live games, though Morency has looked better to date and I probably echo Vinny's sentiment in stating that he is probable to gain serious time this year, especially if Davis is out with injury.

I think Antowain will be primarily a short yardage back. He is slow as hell but very powerful and what you would expect from a veteran runner. He takes the hole and drives through.

I haven't particularly watched for Lundy at this point. He hasn't done anything that has particularly caught my eye, but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that. If I had to guess, I'd say he and Rhodes miss the cut at RB, as of now.

Our run blocking has to this point been spotty but they created a number of really nice runs during 11 on 11s.
Old 08-01-2006   #19
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Just on my own observations of Morency at OSU and in limited time in Texan's games I feel that if VM can slow down his reads and feet and allow the blocks to take place he will have a terrific year. It is a big IF, but one that would be worth holding my virtual breath for.
Old 08-01-2006   #20
wrestler4life
Veteran

who is out fastest back?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read