Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-31-2006   #1
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 24376 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO
Default Leinart a no show at camp

Does this mean that we'll have discussion with Cards' fans now about a hold out? (kidding... geez, don't take it so personal)

Quote:
FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) - Matt Leinart did not report to training camp Sunday as contract negotiations cooled between the Arizona Cardinals and their first-round draft pick.

Even as he vowed to stay out of the negotiations, coach Dennis Green blamed Leinart's camp for the failure to reach agreement.

"We have an excellent deal on the table," said Green, who did not provide details.

Green spoke to reporters after the rest of the team checked in to its dormitory at Northern Arizona University. Players were asked to report Sunday, but Green said Leinart won't be considered late unless he misses the first practice at 8:45 a.m. Monday.

Arizona appeared close to a deal with Leinart when his agent, Tom Condon, came to Phoenix Friday to meet with club officials. But Condon left the Valley after the sides did not meet Sunday....
fox sports

But when the coach gets in a blames the others - that can't be good.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

tsk tsk tsk....it amazes me that players with no NFL experience can be so....I don't know...."selfish"?

I understand trying to get as much as you can, but there comes a point where your decisions affect more than just your own development (which shouldn't be underestimated at this point in Leinart's career). He's also messing with the team itself by holding out.
Old 07-31-2006   #3
powerfuldragon
g'mornin to you

Rep Power: 22258 powerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respectedpowerfuldragon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to powerfuldragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
tsk tsk tsk....it amazes me that players with no NFL experience can be so....I don't know...."selfish"?
i like how when i said more or less the same thing a month or two ago, people came back and said i was way off and that the players are just trying to make thier money.

it's true that they're just trying to make money, but they're unproven.
Old 07-31-2006   #4
WildBlackBear32
All Pro

Makes me smile. I hate Leinart more than any other player in the (or soon to be) NFL. Anything that stunts/slows his development will get a thumbs up from me.
WildBlackBear32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 290612 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulDragon
i like how when i said more or less the same thing a month or two ago, people came back and said i was way off and that the players are just trying to make thier money.

it's true that they're just trying to make money, but they're unproven.
Sometimes the truth hurts, man, and people don't want to face it. Stick to your guns, PD, because it is what it is. There are two sides to every coin.
Old 07-31-2006   #6
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

I heard it speculated the sticking point in negotiations is the Cards are offering a six-year deal and are firm on the six years whereas Leinart's camp want five years.

It doesn't seem like much on the one hand but six years is a long time to be tied to a rookie contract, especially if Leinart has the success that everyone in the org hopes for.
Old 07-31-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Bidwell is a cheapskate, but Green is usually a player's kinda coach... so go figure. ( the two picks that Green talked about also held out for a little bit too )

I wonder who they have at number 2? John Navarre, mister Michigan.
They should be fine with Leinart out for a little while. I mean he played like what 7 years in college or something. Plus is he is NFL ready anyway.
Old 07-31-2006   #8
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

so glad we didn't draft him........................
Old 07-31-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

USC players and their agents have such an inflated idea of their value.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #10
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

I always felt like this was the toughest guy to sign even more than Bush.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Leinhart is a bit of a prima donna, he needs to get into camp, because he and Vince Young will likely see PT this year.
Old 07-31-2006   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 103838 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Nick Lachey is persuading him to hold out for more money.:bananasplit:
Old 08-01-2006   #13
yumyum
Rookie

He didnt get drafted #1 but he wants #1 money. Sounds familar? haha. Should have came out last year.
yumyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #14
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is disappointing, I thought he would make every effort to be in camp on time. Maybe his agent is a hard*ss and not Matt. Who really knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006   #15
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Never liked Leinart, never will. He's an arrogant hollywood pretty boy who thinks he is better than he is. He needs to accept the fact that he slipped in the draft and take the money for the spot he was drafted.

Vince > Matt
Old 08-01-2006   #16
Lucky

Rep Power: 132950 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan1
It doesn't seem like much on the one hand but six years is a long time to be tied to a rookie contract, especially if Leinart has the success that everyone in the org hopes for.
That's why an agent will stick in a fat option bonus after year 4 (ala Carr's contract). Either the club picks up the option (and additional years) or the player walks. It forces the club to make a decision when the player becomes eligible for free agency. I can't believe Condon wouldn't put that in.
Old 08-01-2006   #17
KKHouston
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
USC players and their agents have such an inflated idea of their value.
This is the truth. Simple fix to this. Pay ALL rookies the same salary. If you perform... you then get rewarded.

Matt Leinart blew it last year, and is bitter now.
Old 08-01-2006   #18
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

He needs to be sacked a few times and maybe it will straighten him out. David Carr seems to be a non-selfish person
Old 08-01-2006   #19
TexansCanes
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan
This is disappointing, I thought he would make every effort to be in camp on time. Maybe his agent is a hard*ss and not Matt. Who really knows what goes on behind closed doors anyway!!
exactly, we don't know what the deal being offed is and with the history of arizona and spending money it could be a terrible deal. i remember everyone was ripping phillip rivers for not signing but his contract was terrible. yeah it was for 54 million but to get that he had to win four super bowls and four mvps or something like that to get some of that. no big deal becuase matty isn't going to play this year if things go according to plan, of course that might be a big if.
Old 08-01-2006   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKHouston
Matt Leinart blew it last year, and is bitter now.
How can finishing your college education be blowing it?? I commend any of these players who finish college rather than copping out in their Jr year just for the almighty dollar. NFL careers can be mighty short, and these guys need all the help they can get to learn how to manage their money. Nothing is more important than an education!! JMO!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read