Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Defense

New fanblog post up about it: Link.

It's mostly written for the general public audience, but there is a few things that might be of interest to folks here.
Old 07-31-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I know you get kudos on your blog all the time, but let me add these.

First of all, I'd like to say I'm impressed with the amount of time you are putting into the entires.

Second and more importantly, I'd like to compliment you on your writing skills and your ability to organize and present your thoughts in a clear and logical manner. This takes even more time than researching the basic facts, and I think that presentation says very much about the clarity of thought and effort put into a person's writing.

Great job.
Old 07-31-2006   #3
phantom17
#1 Fan in RGV!

Rep Power: 1292 phantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respectedphantom17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow! Great stuff Texans_Chick! Thanks for the great info!!!! I'm always constantly waiting for your next report!
Old 07-31-2006   #4
Big78
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Big78

Comments

"First you tell us that the Texans are going to use a tight end. Then you tell us that the defense is going to be aggressive. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that the coaches are game planning to outright beat other teams, not just keep the games close.
So this is what real NFL football looks like??!!??"

Posted by: Ben at July 31, 2006 08:47 AM

that was a quote from a response to the post. lol. who ever "Ben" is, i like him.

-Homer Stokes
Big78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #5
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

TC ummm not sure what to say about this post. I mean it was like a review of things I knew, but like you told me once it is for people that dont go to the MB. say, what do you personally think ... this was a fine collection of reviews from other sources, but what can you personally add? would like to know more on your personal thoughts. Not to come off as an @ss but just want to get in your football mind for a sec.
Old 07-31-2006   #6
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big78
Comments

"First you tell us that the Texans are going to use a tight end. Then you tell us that the defense is going to be aggressive. Next thing you know, you'll be telling us that the coaches are game planning to outright beat other teams, not just keep the games close.
So this is what real NFL football looks like??!!??"

Posted by: Ben at July 31, 2006 08:47 AM

that was a quote from a response to the post. lol. who ever "Ben" is, i like him.
That would be me. I usually sign Benn in Katy, but then I have to catch crap from my friends because they know who it is.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70214 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
TC ummm not sure what to say about this post. I mean it was like a review of things I knew, but like you told me once it is for people that dont go to the MB. say, what do you personally think ... this was a fine collection of reviews from other sources, but what can you personally add? would like to know more on your personal thoughts. Not to come off as an @ss but just want to get in your football mind for a sec.

First of all, I don't pretend to have a football mind any more than any other serious fan. I have no illusions that my knowledge of football stuff is any better than the guys running the show. I've expressed this on the blog here and here.

Some of my blog posts are something that the MB people would like to read and some not so much so. I am not holding myself out as an expert, but what I am trying to do is give the casual and serious fans stuff to read to help them enjoy what they are seeing on the field more. You know, if you know what the team is trying to do, it is more fun reading about it. Stuff that helps the whole fan experience. Maybe facts people didn't realize.

I'm trying to synthesize the things that we do know, and maybe package them in a way to help promote discussion, or provide a different way of looking at the same information. Or maybe highlighting things the people might be interested in. A lot of times, blog posts come from things I was curious about, and wanted to look more in depth about them than I could find from any one source.

I am always looking for answers and understanding of things rather than reflexively criticize what I'm seeing or parroting what others are saying.

For example, if Carr throws a pass, and it is not caught, or is intercepted, it is really difficult from a fan perspective to know for a fact it was his fault and not the receiver or any other number of player's faults or shared fault because of where people were supposed to be doing for a particular play. That won't shut people up about it on talk radio on the ride home from the stadium but usually lack of knowledge about stuff doesn't stop people from talking--otherwise we would have to shut down the MB.

But as to the Texans defense, my post pretty much summarizes what I think:

I don't know. I want to see them play. Kubiak's offensive system has a track record of some pretty spectacular seasons. He has got some very key personnel from the Denver system to help him get it in place. I think it can be successful if they can learn it fast (and survive the first part of the season) and if key people (especially the older ones we have) don't get hurt.

As for the defense, I have greater questions. The coaches are from all over the place, and not from a specific system that has a track record of success. They were the people we were able to get when we got them and probably not our first choices. We may or may not have the right personnel to run it.

Aggressive defense does not necessarily equal successful defense. You need the people that allow you to do that. If, for example, the line is taking chances, you have to have a sense that the linebackers and secondary can do their jobs.

Basically, what I am saying is that there is not enough information to make a reasoned opinion. And no track record to look at from the coaching staff--like if we had strong defensive coordinator with a long track record of success. And a bunch of new players on defense that haven't played together. It may be that Smith and the gang will be successful, that what they are doing is straightforward, and we have the personnel to do it, but I don't know.

I can say it makes me happy as heck that we drafted defense first though and got the players we got.
Old 07-31-2006   #8
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

from what i gathered from our training camp reports on the board from cc and aj, etc, so far we seem to be relying on front 4 pressure rather than true blitz packages. my own take on this is its early and the offense hasnt caught up enough to the defense to throw a bunch of blitzes at them. I think once the offense has closed the gap some, mainly the O-Line, we will see more targeting and creativity with the LB and DB corps. only then will we really get a good view of the new face of our defense. comments??
Old 07-31-2006   #9
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

ok TC, I was just asking for your opinion on certain things. I understood, because you stated several times that you did not know much about the defense. I was just wondering from what you do know about football what you thought about things. Anyways like I said there was no malice intended just a question.
Old 07-31-2006   #10
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
ok TC, I was just asking for your opinion on certain things. I understood, because you stated several times that you did not know much about the defense. I was just wondering from what you do know about football what you thought about things. Anyways like I said there was no malice intended just a question.
I think nobody knows much about the 2006 Texans defense (other than the staff and even they are guessing on performance in games). If people do have additional information about what the defense is going to look like, I am asking them to add to the blog post.

You asked me: "what do you personally think ... this was a fine collection of reviews from other sources, but what can you personally add?"

I told you, I had no idea what this particular 4-3 defense is going to look like because Smith has never been a solo DC before. I have no idea how he is going to game plan. In addition, we are incorporating a ton of new guys on defense-lots of them who haven't played together and most who are very experienced or not, and not too many in between.

I quoted the different sources because literally this is just about all the public information that has been released about the defense. That's it. You can try to extrapolate sack stats from Smith's time in Miami or Karm's time in KC, but that doesn't help much. Smith is not a disciple of a particular system so you can't figure out anything from that.

Saying we are going to run an aggressive 4-3 tells us nothing other than it will be non-Fangio.

I am not sure if I understand your question. From what I know about football, I think that there is no telling what this defense is going to be like.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were really scary good or really scary bad. And anyone making a definitive prediction today has about a 50% chance of happening to be right.

I could make the case it could be awful. I could make the case it could be good.

Awful:
Unproven DC
Unproven defensive scheme
Thin and questionable secondary
Uncertain and cobbled together linebacking corps
Playmakers are young
Personnel poorly chosen for a 3-4 makes for tweeners good at neither.

Good:
Not Fangio
DC has nice reputation, lots of football exp.
4-3 is not rocket science
Players like the 4-3 and can use athleticism more
Having more experienced players on defense improves entire defense
2006 draft brought in playmakers--they have a chance to be special
Better position coaching-Lots of first round picks on defense, maybe better coaching can let them shine
Play calling may be better suited to secondary's skill set

Prolly lots of other stuff too.

I am not sure I am getting at what you want me to say. My gut feeling is that I'm cool with the direction of the offense, and I am hoping with concentrating on defense in the draft adding playmakers that our defense will be good enough to not to completely let games get out of hand like they sometimes did last year. And part of that will be the offense getting better and staying on the field.

And as just a WAG, the record for the season will depend on whether the defense will be good enough to let the offense get their feet under them and get confidence. I think it is much easier to learn the 4-3 than to learn the Denver offense with only one player who really really knows it.
Old 07-31-2006   #11
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Ok wow that was long to read TChick. But it did give me a better read on you. I have my ideas and a little insight into what the D will look like. Pretty sure since the playcalling, tempo, and set-up are being shown during TC. His playcalling style was on display last open practice when they did down and distance 11on11. I see what you are saying though and like I said it gives me a better read on you and what you were presenting.
Old 07-31-2006   #12
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Will u marry me???

HAHA!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #13
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 153429 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullpen Drew
Will u marry me???

HAHA!
You don't strike me as Coach C's type.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #14
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
Vinny I was really hoping he was directing that at TC.
Old 07-31-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Ok wow that was long to read TChick. But it did give me a better read on you. I have my ideas and a little insight into what the D will look like. Pretty sure since the playcalling, tempo, and set-up are being shown during TC. His playcalling style was on display last open practice when they did down and distance 11on11. I see what you are saying though and like I said it gives me a better read on you and what you were presenting.
IMO, training camp calls are probably not the same as a real game. Especially this early. They are working on different stuff. Also, it doesn't tell you what they will be doing in different game situations. How gambling will they be depending on the score, for example.

But I would be interested to hear your ideas and insight on it. So what is your opinion of how often they will bring blitzes and where the blitzes will be coming from and how often and under what circumstances. And how will these be adjusted due to game circumstances. Whose defense will this look like in the league?

Really. I would like to know the answers to these questions. I've got some people's answers, but I am guessing the proof will be the play.
Old 07-31-2006   #16
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
OK, Vinny gets the award of funniest post with the fewest words.
Old 07-31-2006   #17
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
OK, Vinny gets the award of funniest post with the fewest words.
Undoubtedly. I already repped him.
Old 07-31-2006   #18
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
IMO, training camp calls are probably not the same as a real game. Especially this early. They are working on different stuff. Also, it doesn't tell you what they will be doing in different game situations. How gambling will they be depending on the score, for example.

But I would be interested to hear your ideas and insight on it. So what is your opinion of how often they will bring blitzes and where the blitzes will be coming from and how often and under what circumstances. And how will these be adjusted due to game circumstances. Whose defense will this look like in the league?

Really. I would like to know the answers to these questions. I've got some people's answers, but I am guessing the proof will be the play.
I don't think they'll blitz a ton, I think the DLine will provide ample pressure. I've seen Orr rush a decent amount out of the SLB spot, especially when they run a 4-3 over and bring him down on the line. I've seen the other LBs and some CBs blitz on occasion as well. Not sure of a current comparison, if I had to say I'd probably say it's a mixture of Philly and Carolina, very aggresive line play, pretty physical secondary, and some nice blitz packages.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #19
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
I don't think they'll blitz a ton, I think the DLine will provide ample pressure. I've seen Orr rush a decent amount out of the SLB spot, especially when they run a 4-3 over and bring him down on the line. I've seen the other LBs and some CBs blitz on occasion as well. Not sure of a current comparison, if I had to say I'd probably say it's a mixture of Philly and Carolina, very aggresive line play, pretty physical secondary, and some nice blitz packages.
Nice to hear what they are working on.

The more I ask the more confusered I get tho.

McClain tells me on the radio that they are going to throw the kitchen sink, lots of blitzes from all over. (I tried to get that audiovaulted but it fell through).

An assistant coach tells me Denver, Redskins and a little Miami.

I think right now we are all guessing because we can't see them in live fire under game situation.

And as an aside, we don't know how much or how little Kubiak is going to control the defense play calling in game situations.

The Texans defense really is pretty much a clean slate.
Old 07-31-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Nice to hear what they are working on.

The more I ask the more confusered I get tho.

McClain tells me on the radio that they are going to throw the kitchen sink, lots of blitzes from all over. (I tried to get that audiovaulted but it fell through).

An assistant coach tells me Denver, Redskins and a little Miami.

I think right now we are all guessing because we can't see them in live fire under game situation.

And as an aside, we don't know how much or how little Kubiak is going to control the defense play calling in game situations.

The Texans defense really is pretty much a clean slate.
I currently don't listen to what McClain says very much, he seems much more in tune to the Titans camp than our own. Every day I saw him out there he showed up with like 5-10 minutes left in practice and kind of ambled around and picked up 2nd hand info from reporters there. However, it is in the first week in camp still and I'm sure they have a lot of defense left to install, so we won't really have a good gauge of it until the last week of preseason.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read