Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2006   #1
phan1
All Pro

Default Any of you think Pitts has a chance at reclaiming LT?

Cause right now, I'm hard pressed to believe that he couldn't beat out Wand or Spencer at that position. And the last time I checked, LT is a more important position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he been the best LT that we have had throughout our short history? I mean C'mon! I don't see why he keeps getting pushed down to guard. If Spencer and Wand keep getting demolished, shouldn't we start considering Pitts at LT? I think Spencer would be a good LG as people have been saying he's a huge mauler. He was projected as a guard coming into the draft anyway right? It never looked like he was primarily a pass-blocker to begin with.

I know it's too early to hit the panic button, but I think this should be a serious consideration as training camp goes on.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember hearing a radio interview a few months back and he was disappointed to be going back to guard. Yeah, that's what he played out of college, but after 4 years of left tackle in the NFL, there's still going to be an adjustment. To answer your question, I think he can go back to LT but I'm hoping he doesn't. If he does, that means that Wand and Spencer both failed to get the job done and we have shuffle the O-line some more.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO right now I would not be surprised at anyone losing a starting job except Davis, Mario, Carr, and AJ.
Old 07-30-2006   #4
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

I got to agree about Pitts going back to LT might be a bad sign, BUT I still think had we left him there all 4 years instead of playing musical tackles. He might be just the man for job had Capers & co left him alone.
Old 07-30-2006   #5
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he been the best LT that we have had throughout our short history?
This doesn't say a whole lot.

Is Pitts the best LT in camp TODAY? Maybe. The problem is that he is our best LG, too. The coaches who have been evaluating Spencer (and Winston) since before the draft feel that his athletic ability, which is excellent for a man his size, makes him a great fit at tackle in this system. Moving him to guard is a possibility if that doesn't prove to be true but I don't see that happening. We have to put our best combination of linemen on the field and the fact is we have more potential at tackle with Wand and Spencer battling for time than we do at LG. Pitts is a nice option to have if Wand, Spencer, and maybe Winston all get a shot at LT and fail, but I think somebody develops and pairs with Pitts to give us a dominant left side.
Old 07-30-2006   #6
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 667 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I mean C'mon! I don't see why he keeps getting pushed down to guard.
according to seth Payne he is the perfect size/ speed/ player for a LG. that is why.

is he the best LT to date, yep. But if the current regime thinks that Wand can get the job done, and we have faith in their analysis on other positions, then I can't wait for our left side to be a dominant force with Pitts and Wand/Spencer playing.
Old 07-31-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

You know who suffers the most with these experiments at LT ? He is not an
OL and his initials are DC. The thing is we are getting, on balance, more negative reports than the positve type about the current first team guy, Seth Wand. And Spencer may have tremendous upside, but as a rookie its gonna take some time for that to translate to performance on the field, especially in the NFL. Afterall, he's only played 2 years in college as an OL after moving over from the DL.
The OL didn't start to look like anything that performed in semi-competant fashion until Chester was moved to LT, which was something like the 5th
game of the year ? Maybe for the sake of Carr's physical well being and hope of him having a successful season this year, they better get Chester over to the LT spot by the time we play the Eagles if Wand continues to disappoint ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2006   #8
gwallaia

Rep Power: 60869 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

Wherever Pitts lines up on the line, he better stop jumping offsides.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I remember hearing a radio interview a few months back and he was disappointed to be going back to guard. Yeah, that's what he played out of college,
Pitts played LT in college as well. The closest he got to guard in college was being projected as one in the NFL.
Old 07-31-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Pitts is seen more as a natural G. I think if he could play LT without interruption and be trained only at that position he could be a middle of the road pro that could start on a good many teams. Now as far as Pitts taking back the LT position not unless we are having a serious problem. Right now it is Wand and Spencer and if need be Winston. Wand is being pulled for mistakes forcing him to correct them or at least take his head out of his posterior. Spencer is a rookie and just has not got it quite yet, but by mid-season if not earlier he could take over the full time spot.
Old 07-31-2006   #11
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Pitts is seen more as a natural G. I think if he could play LT without interruption and be trained only at that position he could be a middle of the road pro that could start on a good many teams. Now as far as Pitts taking back the LT position not unless we are having a serious problem. Right now it is Wand and Spencer and if need be Winston. Wand is being pulled for mistakes forcing him to correct them or at least take his head out of his posterior. Spencer is a rookie and just has not got it quite yet, but by mid-season if not earlier he could take over the full time spot.
Everyone, including several NFL coaches, have continued to say this, but by the play on the field and his on words his best position has been LT. If he were and inch and half taller would he be a "natural guard." I think this a measurable and looking at the body type thing versus watching the skills and production he displays.

Pitts seems to at natural LT stuck in a body associated with a guard.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
How about this analogy, if a DB is a "natural safety" but with the speed
to play corner, where does he play ? At CB of course, because that position
is more important than safety.
It seems like it should be the same for guards and tackles. Maybe a player is
lacking certain ideal physical measurements for a classic NFL LT, but if he has
the basic athleticism to play the position, well then he should play that position simply because tackles (especailly LTs), are more important than guards. Especailly with a team like the Texans that desperately needs just competance, not brilliance, but competance and consistency at that most important of all OL positons.
Old 07-31-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 269149 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan
Everyone, including several NFL coaches, have continued to say this, but by the play on the field and his on words his best position has been LT. If he were and inch and half taller would he be a "natural guard." I think this a measurable and looking at the body type thing versus watching the skills and production he displays.

I keep wanting someone to legitimately beat Pitts out at LT and then have him move to RT but that has never seemed to be even a consideration in the cards--always with the let's get him to G talk.
Old 07-31-2006   #14
SESupergenius

Such a refreshing feeling that we have solved our LT problem.....after 5 years.
Old 07-31-2006   #15
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I keep wanting someone to legitimately beat Pitts out at LT and then have him move to RT but that has never seemed to be even a consideration in the cards--always with the let's get him to G talk.
Or there's that scenario. Exactly !
Play Chester at LT until Spencer is ready for that positoin (maybe not until the 2007 season), then move Chester to RT.
I don't have a problem with Spencer & Chester at the tackles and Winston as a guard instead of the rookes being the tackles over the long-term.
Old 07-31-2006   #16
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 70276 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Do I take it from the premise of this thread that Seth Wand is not holding up his end in TC?

And if that's the case, doesn't that validate what last year's coaching staff did in demoting him?

To you TC observers, what exactly is Wand's problem? Is he just getting overmatched physically? . . . Is he just too slow laterally . . . or is he not just mentally cut out for it?
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #17
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I've been pushing for Pitts at LT for months. I do not mind Sherman giving these other guys the look but IMO Pitts has been a solid LT and the spot should be his until someone earns it from him. Wand is awful right now and I can only hope that Spencer will exhibit a faster learning curve than is typically allowed most rookies.

As stated in the camp threads, Wand just looks like he's not mentally with it. Physically I'm not sure he is strong enough and he is tall which means he has a higher center of gravity he needs to be compensating for, but far worse is that mentally he looks like he doesn't even want to be there. Body language just says it all; head down, no visible fire, getting frustrated instead of pissed when he gets smoked by Babin of all people, who is improved but still IMO hardly an upper echelon DE. He just isn't exhibiting any pride, fight, or fire. Right now Wand looks like he either doesn't care or doesn't believe in himself; not sure what if anything might be going on either onfield or off of it to contribute to his apparent distraction, but right now he is headed out of the starting lineup.

Last edited by jerek; 07-31-2006 at 10:02 AM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFD1717
This doesn't say a whole lot.

Is Pitts the best LT in camp TODAY? Maybe. The problem is that he is our best LG, too. The coaches who have been evaluating Spencer (and Winston) since before the draft feel that his athletic ability, which is excellent for a man his size, makes him a great fit at tackle in this system. Moving him to guard is a possibility if that doesn't prove to be true but I don't see that happening. We have to put our best combination of linemen on the field and the fact is we have more potential at tackle with Wand and Spencer battling for time than we do at LG. Pitts is a nice option to have if Wand, Spencer, and maybe Winston all get a shot at LT and fail, but I think somebody develops and pairs with Pitts to give us a dominant left side.
Agreed:
If this is the case and Pitts IS our best option at LT this year...you can pretty much push OLT on top of the '07 draft wish list. As dinged as we are at CB right now, no one wants to go through another '05 again.

And to reBuff an earlier point...How do you know that if Pitts wasn't bounced around he wouldn't be an All pro canidate at Left Gaurd ? Coach has already said he ain't moving again. If he dose, we're in serious trouble.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #19
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Do I take it from the premise of this thread that Seth Wand is not holding up his end in TC?

And if that's the case, doesn't that validate what last year's coaching staff did in demoting him?

To you TC observers, what exactly is Wand's problem? Is he just getting overmatched physically? . . . Is he just too slow laterally . . . or is he not just mentally cut out for it?
Personally, I think this is a knee jerk reaction to casual fans seeing camp and seeing the D-line brutalize the o-line. Happens every summer, at every level,on every team. D-line is always ahead of the O-line....early. Big difference in one guy reading his responsiblities and going for broke. And five guys trin' to move in concert with one another. Don't push the panic button. Give it time. Still early.It will come. I've been watchin' o-lines for a very long time. This group looks good. Quick feet, powerful. They're just not...graceful yet. It WILL come.
The best we've ever had. Gonna take some time is all.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
As stated in the camp threads, Wand just looks like he's not mentally with it. Physically I'm not sure he is strong enough and he is tall which means he has a higher center of gravity he needs to be compensating for, but far worse is that mentally he looks like he doesn't even want to be there. Body language just says it all; head down, no visible fire, getting frustrated instead of pissed when he gets smoked by Babin of all people, who is improved but still IMO hardly an upper echelon DE. He just isn't exhibiting any pride, fight, or fire. Right now Wand looks like he either doesn't care or doesn't believe in himself; not sure what if anything might be going on either onfield or off of it to contribute to his apparent distraction, but right now he is headed out of the starting lineup.
At the end of the day, he might end up out of the starting lineup for various reasons, but what does the Ouija board and tea leaves say about his state of mind? Maybe we should do a tarot reading too.

I really really appreciate the training camp observations that people make but I have to say it kills me to read stuff that makes such large extrapolations based on little information. He's not yelling, losing his temper or getting in fights ergo he doesn't care, is distracted or doesn't believe in himself???? What do you expect him to do?

I give up.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read