Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2006   #1
Woog
waterboy

Default Rhodes

I'm hearing alot about Chris Taylor and Wali Lundy, but nothing about Damien Rhodes, although he Coach Kubiak continues to mention him in his practice comments and pressers as being right in the mix. Hows the Syracuse guy doing?
Woog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woog
I'm hearing alot about Chris Taylor and Wali Lundy, but nothing about Damien Rhodes, although he Coach Kubiak continues to mention him in his practice comments and pressers as being right in the mix. Hows the Syracuse guy doing?
He's ok, but to this point Taylor has definitely looked like a more solid RB and I doubt they keep both of them. Taylor has seen a decent amount of reps with the 1st team, I don't recall Rhodes getting many if any. He could end up being a solid player in his career, although I don't think he'll be here come September.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #3
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Morknolle was nice about Rhodes. Other than a special team provider he does not provide much. The kid has put the ball on the ground every practice, yes even ones without pads which is not a good thing. If he had the ability of a Tiki Barber or Ahman Green, guys who had fumble problems, then possibly it could be worked on, but right now he does not. Look for him to get a stint in the CFL or Arena league to learn the game. Right now I am not sure he is ready.
Old 07-31-2006   #4
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm starting to get a real good feeling about Chris Taylor. Wasn't he
like a 4.4 40 guy from the Indy combine ? That's very competant staight
line speed, and am also hearing he might be a fairly hard runner. Looking at his
Indiana resume, he had a couple of huge games against some formidable
Big 10 opponents, but Indiana had a very inferior season, one reason he may have been very low profile. Plus, Indiana is a big time college program, but obviously in another sport besides football.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #5
titan hater
Veteran

Default Chris Taylor

Posting because McClain was hyping the guy this morning...For what its worth....

CHRIS TAYLOR STATS @ Indiana
Receiving Rushing
Statistics No Yds Avg TD Att Yds Avg TD
2005 15 49 3.3 0 156 740 4.7 4
2004 5 67 13.4 0 82 314 3.8 3
2003 9 94 10.4 1 116 464 4.0 3
2002 4 46 11.5 0 48 229 4.8 2
Career 33 256 7.8 1 402 1,747 4.3 12

Nothing too impressive in Collage...but what do expect from a real basketball school...
Old 07-31-2006   #6
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Indiana is a spread offense school similar to TTech so he did ok. nothing at all special like you said. Yeah and McClain is late as usual with his hyping of a player.
Old 07-31-2006   #7
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Taylor intrigues me. He has pretty good size and speed. Maybe he can become our Terrell Davis.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2006   #8
houstonhurricane
All Pro

Rep Power: 938 houstonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonhurricane is a quality contributor and well respected

Have you guys seen Taylor making catches out of the backfield? Also, any updates on DD's status?
Old 07-31-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Indiana is a spread offense school similar to TTech so he did ok. nothing at all special like you said. Yeah and McClain is late as usual with his hyping of a player.
OK, because I think you've seen him at TC and I haven't been to TC or had any other opportunities to see him. And unlike Reggie "the Paris Hilton of ESPN" Bush, there are no nonstop highlights of him on cable.
I'm thinking AJ, our "Voice of the Fans" AJ and not our WR, has had some fairly positive to semi-strong comments on him ?
But I've not seen him, so can only go by what I read and hear.
Sure looking forward to our first televised exhibition game to get atleast a
glance at our new guys, both rookies and FAs.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #10
Big J
Rookie

Default Chris Taylor is solid

I am currently a student at Indiana University (Im from Houston and have lived there all my life except at college) and I can tell you he was a pretty good RB. He wasnt really noticed until last year because he played behind our old RB Ben Jarvis Green Ellis, who transfered to Ole Miss I think. Last year we got our new coach, Coach Hep, who did install the Spread Offense (No fullback, 3 reciever sets). Because of the system he did excel, but he wasnt played much in the old system, under Gary Dinardo, who recruited him from Texas (Kingwood I think) (Might be our other running back Washington). I think he was an under the radar running back who could excel in Kubiak's system and it didnt cost us a draft pick. Also he was overshadowed on offense by James Hardy, who is gross. 6'7, good hands, will be a high pick in 2 years.

Living in Indiana and hearing all the bandwagon Colts fans talk up their team every year, we better beat them this year. I HATE THE COLTS. I pray to god we beat them.

Last edited by Big J; 07-31-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #11
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonhurricane
Have you guys seen Taylor making catches out of the backfield? Also, any updates on DD's status?
DD rides a bike at pratcie...
Old 07-31-2006   #12
newtexfan
Rookie

Default I see you call youself coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Morknolle was nice about Rhodes. Other than a special team provider he does not provide much. The kid has put the ball on the ground every practice, yes even ones without pads which is not a good thing. If he had the ability of a Tiki Barber or Ahman Green, guys who had fumble problems, then possibly it could be worked on, but right now he does not. Look for him to get a stint in the CFL or Arena league to learn the game. Right now I am not sure he is ready.
Thats a real definitive assessment after only 3 practice sessions.I know you went to all the mini camps too.Maybe he makes the team and maybe he won't lets see what happens before you write him off.
newtexfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I'm starting to get a real good feeling about Chris Taylor. Wasn't he
like a 4.4 40 guy from the Indy combine ? .
I don't think Taylor got a combine invite. Reportedly, he ran in the 4.4's sometime prior to his Pro Day but at his Pro Day, he ran in the mid-4.5s on turf and it was considered disappointing. Indiana had a terrible team last year so his team performance and 'slow' 40 at his Pro Day are the only things I can see factoring in to him going undrafted.

I noticed him the first day of OTAs and since then, he's not shown any reason why he can't make this team imo. He's not a take it to the house kind of RB but he's big and has enough to get around corners in full pads against Richard Smith's heavy pursuit D.

Taylor played his HS ball in Memphis TN.

Last edited by aj.; 07-31-2006 at 12:12 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read