Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

P Buch has been working harder..

I caught this on Foxsports.com..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5788368

The Texans return all of their young starters from a year ago. The biggest issue here is whether or not Buchanon will make a push with Faggins to regain the starting job he lost after the second game of last season. Buchanon impressed the coaching staff in the offseason program with his attitude, work ethic and skills. He spent extra time with the coaches every day after practice working on his tackling skills. Regardless of whether he earns the starting job, the Texans are comfortable with him as a nickel back. Robinson is the strongest asset in the secondary, and is coming off a disappointing year in '05. He should thrive in the new defensive that stresses being aggressive.

I hope he can tackle better!

Bullpen Drew said:
I caught this on Foxsports.com..

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5788368

The Texans return all of their young starters from a year ago. The biggest issue here is whether or not Buchanon will make a push with Faggins to regain the starting job he lost after the second game of last season. Buchanon impressed the coaching staff in the offseason program with his attitude, work ethic and skills. He spent extra time with the coaches every day after practice working on his tackling skills. Regardless of whether he earns the starting job, the Texans are comfortable with him as a nickel back. Robinson is the strongest asset in the secondary, and is coming off a disappointing year in '05. He should thrive in the new defensive that stresses being aggressive.

I hope he can tackle better!
I would rather our DBs intercept or cause incompletions, BUT tackling is important since NFL wants TD TD TD!!! and will change rules to favor offense:stirpot:

TexanFan881

All Pro
From what I've read he's been constantly practicing tackling and he has improved in that area greatly. It's great to have a player that has such a good work ethic and it's really great to see how badly he wants to improve as a player and that he realizes that he may not have been the best tackler.

AfricanCracker

Practice Squad
I love how so many sports writers are saying that Drob had a disappointing season last year... im sorry, but a cornerback is only as good as his men up front are... no matter who you are.. if Drob gets a legit pass rush to take pressure off of the secondary, I do believe that he can legitimately be considered a "true shut down corner".. and begin his probowl career

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
TexanFan881 said:
From what I've read he's been constantly practicing tackling and he has improved in that area greatly. It's great to have a player that has such a good work ethic and it's really great to see how badly he wants to improve as a player and that he realizes that he may not have been the best tackler.

This being a contract year is good incentive for him . :twocents:

S

SESupergenius

McCleon should be able to beat him out, but hey, like I said, everyone should get a clean slate with this new regime. ***cough*** even Buchanon.

Coach C.

Veteran
SESupergenius, McCleon is not about to beat out Buch. Buch would have to play seriously bad for that to happen, and that is not the case right now. Mind you Buch still is not a hitter, but he is playing coverage more like before his wrist injury in Oakland. McCleon is purely depth and at best a dime or nickel guy that may be able to help if he sticks all the way through.

aj.

All Pro
P-Buc's problem is consistency. One minute he'll do something that will make him look like an All-Pro corner. The next minute he's like the right fielder in little league baseball counting dandelions. He's very much a confidence (or lack of) driven guy. Moreso than most, it seems. He's probably going to be the punt returner too.

S

SESupergenius

Coach C. said:
SESupergenius, McCleon is not about to beat out Buch. Buch would have to play seriously bad for that to happen, and that is not the case right now. Mind you Buch still is not a hitter, but he is playing coverage more like before his wrist injury in Oakland. McCleon is purely depth and at best a dime or nickel guy that may be able to help if he sticks all the way through.
And what, he's never played bad?? (go see Raiders, Texans archives) Who would have thought Faggins would have beat him out? Buchanon is a nickel at best and has had more hype than production. I said that jokingly refering to his play last year where almost anyone in the league could have beat him out, but he gets a little tiny wiennie leyway with this new coaching staff.

Coach C.

Veteran
He played worse than crap last year, I know that I saw it all year, but I have also seen the work that he has put in this offseason. I have seen the guy work his ass off to return to the time where he was being compared to Champ Bailey as one of the hot cover corners in this league. Is he ever going to hit people, NO(HELL NO), but he can cover and make plays. If he does that this year it will mean that QBs cannot just chunk the ball away from D-Robs side when they are in trouble. Also, sorry I did not get the joke thought you were serious about McCleon.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Buchanon has always been that real fast player who was better at coverage. I think he realizes that he has always banked on those skills, and if they dont produce he needs to be a solid tackler as well. We will see how he starts to play in full pads :shades: .

Coach C.

Veteran
TS they were in full pads yesterday morning. He played well and much more physical, but was still not sticking his head in there to make any real hits.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Coach C. said:
TS they were in full pads yesterday morning. He played well and much more physical, but was still not sticking his head in there to make any real hits.
He should start to work on that right now, it is the best time. You know when you first put the pads on, you can start to feel the work you've done in the offeseason. This is when he should start applying what he's been working on in the offseason. If he learns to commit his chest and facemask to tackles, he should make alot more.

Coach C.

Veteran
During the offseason his work was on refining his coverage skills, proper tackle angles, and erasing some of the bad habits he learned in Oakland. As far as tackling goes he going to more the Deion Sanders school of it. He will get in there to bring someone down if he has to and he is committing alot more, but if it is him v. a RB straight up dont count on that one getting made often.

TexansSeminole

Hall of Fame
Maybe Coach Smith and Coach Hoke can work on him comitting his body more to his tackles. When Dunta comes back they can work off him as well. It seems to me that Coach Smith's idea of the defense is more hard hitting. If we are to run Cover 2, the corners need to be able to hit a fullback or running back that is trying to make a play in the flats. All in all I think the scheme will be better than before so we should expect him to have a good year.

AlbinoRat

Waterboy
Lets settle this now. AT LEAST ITS NOT MATT STEVENS. Do you remember how bad those days were? You now have my permission to rage on me, matt stevens, or anyone else. I you have hate in your heart on account of these fellows let it out.

TexanFan881 said:
He comes from the U, why wouldn't he have that attitude. Everyone from the U has that mentality.

TexansCM

Noob
TexansSeminole said:
He should start to work on that right now, it is the best time. You know when you first put the pads on, you can start to feel the work you've done in the offeseason. This is when he should start applying what he's been working on in the offseason. If he learns to commit his chest and facemask to tackles, he should make alot more.
Lets not worry about PBuch hitting with his chest or facemask. He will never lay the wood to an opposing WR or RB. As long as he wraps his arms, tackles low and brings the ball carrier down I am happy with him this year. Some guys will never be hitters, as long as his coverage skills make up for that and he brings the guy down or holds the guy up so a LB can knock him down that is a huge improvement from last year.

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
I'm not comparing players, but Neon Deion didn't tackle much, either. I think P.Buch has a lot more skills than he displayed last year, simply because our defense was so bad and the scheme so wrong for the players we had. I don't think he's a great zone player, but instead would be better utilized in man coverage. I think our FO gets it.

Thanks for the update, Bullpen Drew! Nice find. :howdy:

HeartofHouston

Waterboy
Now I hate to say this because Buchannon is from the U, which is my favorite college team, but even when he was at the U. He survived off of his coverage skills, which don't get me wrong, are outstanding at SOME points but as another poster said it some cases where you're like "What the (BEEP) is he doing??" you would think that someone that agile, quick and fast would be able to shutdown a humming bird in man to man coverage but sometimes it was mind blowing how ridiculous he played.

But on the brighter side our defense is better, our front 4 is better and we'll be getting a better pass rush this year (crosses fingers) and if that's all true we really should see a different Buchannon.

But what does bother me is his tackling skills, He HAS To continue to work on that cause you can be a heck of a corner BUT people are gonna eventually catch the ball and what happens when somebody throws a quick WR screen to Buchannon' side we could be in a world of trouble if he misses.

So i hope that he continues to show up in practice and get more physical, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor should get together with him and maybe they could work something out.. But I'm rooting for Buchannon though.. Anybody from the U i'm rooting for GO BUCHANNON!!

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Maybe getting fronted by Pittsburgh on TV was the best thing that could've happened to him and for us in the long run. It certainly may have created a more determined PBuch.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
Some of you guys were too hard on him last season. Granted, he didn't play like Champ Bailey, but neither did Dunta. It all starts with the D-line, which has, hopefully, drastically improved. He is from the U, so consider who he's been practicing against this offseason: Reggie Wayne, the lil' Moss', Andre Johnson, Jeremy Shockey, Kellen Winslow the lesser, and in Houston, Eric Moulds. I'm still hoping Sanders or McKenzie move up the depth chart before Buchanon, though. :homer: