Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Chron:Carr has something to prove this year

Quote:
The best thing that can be said about Texans quarterback David Carr's performance in 2005 is that he threw for more touchdowns than interceptions for the second consecutive season.
Like his teammates, Carr suffered through a disastrous 2-14 season, but instead of getting a pink slip like a lot of players, he was rewarded with an $8 million option bonus that guaranteed him a role in what owner Bob McNair is hoping will be a stunning renaissance under new coach Gary Kubiak.

"What happened to us last year I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy," Carr said last week when the Texans reported to training camp at Reliant Park. "I mean, having a 2-14 record isn't fun at all.

"When you look back at the way we lost some of those games, well, it was just very disappointing and frustrating. It's not something I ever want to go through again."
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4081659.html
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Kubiak has installed the same scheme the Broncos have used for years.

That means Carr is going to throw on the run more than any time in his career.

"I like that," he said. "I think moving and throwing on the run is one of my strengths.

"Coach (Kubiak) has also encouraged me to run if I think I can make yards. That's the first coach I've had in a while who's told me to pull it down and take off if I think I can get yardage.

"I like that because it means he's giving me credit for my athletic ability and giving me the freedom to use it.

"It makes you feel as if you're not holding anything back, that you're leaving everything on the field."

Although the Texans have been on the practice field for only two days, Carr is sure of one thing: He's not going to lead the league in number of times sacked for the fourth time in five years.

"That's not going to happen," he said. "Even if we hadn't changed personnel, just the scheme makes so much difference.

"I can't tell you how excited I am. I was pumped up the last couple of weeks. Usually, I'm lying around the house looking at the clock and making sure it doesn't come too fast.

"This year, I wanted to get out of the house for a while so we could get on the field, and, hopefully, get something special started."
from the link above
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #3
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected

What is the sky is blue for $1,000 Alex.

Old 07-31-2006   #4
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40
What is the sky is blue for $1,000 Alex.

Because David Carr is going to throw a LOT of TD's
Old 07-31-2006   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

"What happened to us last year I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy," Carr said last week when the Texans reported to training camp at Reliant Park. "I mean, having a 2-14 record isn't fun at all.

Well Carr might not wish it upon our worst enemies, BUT I WILL!! I'd celebrate if the Titans, Colts, Jags, and Cowboys all had 2-14 records!

I like DC's attitude and optimism, though. Getting yourself mentally prepared is so important to establishing the belief that you can do it. I think - hope - we see a brand new Carr this year.
Old 07-31-2006   #6
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Well Carr might not wish it upon our worst enemies, BUT I WILL!! I'd celebrate if the Titans, Colts, Jags, and Cowboys all had 2-14 records!
I wouldn't...That means they'd be adding a really high draft pick to an already potent squad...(excluding the Titans)
Old 07-31-2006   #7
TransplantTexan1
Rookie

A big sign of Carr's improvement would be in his 4th Quarter efficiency rating, which has been poor over his previous four years.

My gut leads me to believe the Texans give up around 40 sacks (not great but competitive at least) and Carr, because of a stronger rushing game, will peform a bit better in the 4th Quarter. How much better will be the question, though.
Old 07-31-2006   #8
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I wouldn't...That means they'd be adding a really high draft pick to an already potent squad...(excluding the Titans)
Understandable...but I can only think one year at a time, my friend. And if all of our division rivals went 2-14, it most likely means that we [finally] win our first division title and a trip to the playoffs.

This, of course, is far from a reality check. It's just the way I'm geared to root for our team and against others.
Old 07-31-2006   #9
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel
Understandable...but I can only think one year at a time, my friend. And if all of our division rivals went 2-14, it most likely means that we [finally] win our first division title and a trip to the playoffs.

This, of course, is far from a reality check. It's just the way I'm geared to root for our team and against others.
Old 07-31-2006   #10
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

I will tell you what, the guy has a chip on his shoulders, some people around here and around the news have opened the mouths and said some things toooooo early...............Dont expect Carr to be jumping into the same stands that booed him in games last year...............I just hope some of you will be man enough to admit when your wrong when the time comes.
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
I will tell you what, the guy has a chip on his shoulders, some people around here and around the news have opened the mouths and said some things toooooo early...............Dont expect Carr to be jumping into the same stands that booed him in games last year...............I just hope some of you will be man enough to admit when your wrong when the time comes.
The forum's records go back to May 2004.
Old 07-31-2006   #12
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Happy Birthday Hulk.

I just want Carr to lead the offense to TD's. That is all most of us have ever wanted. Hopefully you are right and the bashing was the motivation.
Old 08-02-2006   #13
Hulk75
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 427 Hulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respectedHulk75 is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the Happy Birthdays brothers!!!!!!!
Hulk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006   #14
bayoudreamn
Veteran

Rep Power: 2722 bayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respectedbayoudreamn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan1
A big sign of Carr's improvement would be in his 4th Quarter efficiency rating, which has been poor over his previous four years.

My gut leads me to believe the Texans give up around 40 sacks (not great but competitive at least) and Carr, because of a stronger rushing game, will peform a bit better in the 4th Quarter. How much better will be the question, though.
You might be right about the 40 sacks, but I hope that's wrong. We've got so many weapons this year that we've never had before. There's no way to actively quantify a difference from that as far as I know but my gut tells me this ain't the time to be guessing on specific numbers with this team. I hope we get gobs of surprises that look like Christmas presents.
Old 08-02-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantTexan1

This has a lot to do with the defense being on the field way too long as well as conservative play calling. Don't get me wrong, I think Carr has been far from efficient in any quarter much less the fourth. I just think it has more than just Carr himself to do with it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read