Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2006   #1
AfricanCracker
Rookie

Default Its going... going... GONE!!!

Hello everyone,

I have the understanding that most members on this forum are more of the "glass half full" type, thus shooting optimism around like its the truth... There is no problem with that type of a mentality, its just unrealistic.. Gosh I hope I am wrong, but being a pessimistic a-hole that I am... I think it is unrealistic to expect immediate improvement... BUT, yet again... by adding a proven winner at the head coach slot, makes me second guess my initial pessimism towards our beloved texans... So, to get to my main point, I will ask this question...

The texans went 2-14 last season, and at times we looked discouraged and unmotivated, thus leading us to play with no heart... With the bulk of the players from that team returning, how will our team react to a rough start to the season? or even a tough stretch of games?? I am concerned with the "losing" mentality that has already been integrated into the majority of our players.... This training camp seems almost no different than any other camp held by capers... players and coaches are expressing their optimism for the upcoming season, while blah blah blahing about whatever.. I just hope that when the "chips are down", the ***** doesnt hit the fan with our team like it has in the past... because most of our players are SO used to playing for nothing, Im afraid that no matter what changes we make to the coaching staff, we cannot make the most important change - a losing tradition (obviously into a winning tradition)

what say you?
AfricanCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #2
southtexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanCracker
Hello everyone,

I have the understanding that most members on this forum are more of the "glass half full" type, thus shooting optimism around like its the truth... There is no problem with that type of a mentality, its just unrealistic.. Gosh I hope I am wrong, but being a pessimistic a-hole that I am... I think it is unrealistic to expect immediate improvement... BUT, yet again... by adding a proven winner at the head coach slot, makes me second guess my initial pessimism towards our beloved texans... So, to get to my main point, I will ask this question...

The texans went 2-14 last season, and at times we looked discouraged and unmotivated, thus leading us to play with no heart... With the bulk of the players from that team returning, how will our team react to a rough start to the season? or even a tough stretch of games?? I am concerned with the "losing" mentality that has already been integrated into the majority of our players.... This training camp seems almost no different than any other camp held by capers... players and coaches are expressing their optimism for the upcoming season, while blah blah blahing about whatever.. I just hope that when the "chips are down", the ***** doesnt hit the fan with our team like it has in the past... because most of our players are SO used to playing for nothing, Im afraid that no matter what changes we make to the coaching staff, we cannot make the most important change - a losing tradition (obviously into a winning tradition)

what say you?
Time will tell. I don't believe that we're going to the superbowl or that we will make the playoffs but I do believe that we will see improvements, eventually we'll be a solid team.
Old 07-30-2006   #3
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Hello everyone,

what say you?

Show me a team that isn't optimistic this time of year. No one goes into training camp saying, "Yeah, I'll think we'll win about four games this year." All coaches say everything looks great, and all fans are allowed to be somewhat optimistic.

That being said, anyone saying the Texans are gonna win 10 games and go to the playoffs this year are setting themselves up for a letdown. If it happens, I'll be pleasantly suprised. But I'm hoping for six to seven wins this year. That would be progress. And this is the one time of year where everyone can be optimistic.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #4
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77470 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

It all depends on what your 'realistic' expectations are for the upcoming season. Keeping in mind that the team DID go 2-14 last season, (and not forgetting that) then you can expect the team is not going to get better overnight. It's going to take awhile. Enjoy the transition from loser to winner, and that in itself will make watching a winner more enjoyable.

Don't equate pessimism for realism. It's real easy to do. It's real easy to look at it 'glass half empty'.

And another thing. Is it too much to ask that you keep your pessimism in check until you've watched a couple of pre-season games at least?

Please.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #5
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 39244 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

You have got to be kidding me. Do not get optimism, as a stand alone trait, confused with the difference in the last two staff's method of operation and how they disseminate the message to the team. There is a causal raleationship so need for a comparative measurement.

We are indeed optimistic because of the style change and the way the players are receptive to the new regime. Kubiak has been an intangible difference maker for years and has been one in everything he has touched to date with the Texans, therefore I am optimistic.
Old 07-30-2006   #6
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 161683 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

The pessemist is never dissapointed . He cannot celebrate with vigor either when his train comes in .
Old 07-30-2006   #7
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 28635 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

I think we're closer to the 7-9 season before than the 2-14 previous season. Last season, I think there was a buy out on multiple levels - mentally and physically by players and coaches (those that stayed the entire season) and without at least a half-hearted buy-in by the players to what the coaches are preaching, there will be 2-14.

This year, yep there's the pre-season optimisim of fans and players - but can't you just see or feel a difference this year? Some of the same general things may have been said so far this year as last year's preseason, but maybe it's the way it's said or that it doesn't sound PC or scripted. Dunno - it some seems like, at least, there is player buy in to the optimism this year.

Agree with the above - I don't think there's a playoff this year (though that would be the icing), but I do think there will be a close to 8-8 season with possibly a "winning season". The first half of the schedule will be rough with the the teams the Texans are playing along with learning their new system, but hoping that'll turn around the 2nd half of the season.
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2006   #8
staind755
Rookie

I think going 8-8 this year is very possible if not better. We lost 6 games last year by 7 points or less. With the upgrades we got on both sides of the ball, minus a few injuries, with all new personal we will win for thank half of those 7 point loss games. Hopefully we will compete and have a chance to WIN the games were predicted not too. Does anyone remember just 2 years ago I believe, the Texans lost on a last second Field goal to the Colts here in Houston? I'm not saying we can beat the Colts, but we can definitey compete. OUR coaching staff alone blew a few games last year. LIke they say, Any team can win on any given Sunday. Lets just hope it has a "W" next to the Texans....
staind755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I have the understanding that most members on this forum are more of the "glass half full" type, thus shooting optimism around like its the truth... Im afraid that no matter what changes we make to the coaching staff, we cannot make the most important change - a losing tradition (obviously into a winning tradition)

what say you?
I say...

You got it all tangled up. If you find 100 people out in a field while it's pouring down raining, with funnel clouds, thunder, lightning, and a big old twice burnt patch of smoldering grass... unto which they are standing. You expect to find nothing but optimist.

That's the only reasonable explanation. Reason. Not idealism from sophist.

That said.

I eat lots of animal crackers with my milk. My favourite is the bengal looking one. It's crunchy and tasty... and good. If somebody could cap that losing tradition there, it is possible that lightning will not hit the same spot 4 times in a row.

BUT then again when I get to the LION cracker... oOOo man do I get depressed. There goes all my milk.

Last edited by TwinSisters; 07-30-2006 at 12:20 PM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #10
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default As I see it...

Positives:
New coaching philosphy that is more hands on and 1 on 1 with players
Coaching staff is more passionate
A defensive scheme and players that should put more pressure on the opposition
Upgraded o-line and more targets for the QB
Potential for returning players to really be optimistic because of the changes

Negatives:
Leaning a new system on both sides of the ball
Dependence on rookies to step up and learn fast
Shell shock for returning players from last year... having to put last year behind them
Lack of depth in some areas, especially DBs
May need more time for team to "gel"

So, with that in mind I am thinking:

0 to 3 wins: Back to the drawing board
4 to 7 wins: Step in the right direction
8 to 10 wins: BIG step in the right direction
11+ wins: Cinderella just delivered the slipper in person

Personally, I am expecting 6 to 8 wins depending on how that pointy little ball bounces, but I sure wouldn't mind if we got the slipper.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #11
phan1
All Pro

Let's not mistake "excitement" with "optimism". Having the Texans out here working is damn exciting, and I'm sure as heck am excited to at least read about how the team is doing during training camp. But does that mean our team kicks ass and we're the favorite to win the Super Bowl next year? Hardly. I'm a realist too and there are plenty of things to be worried about:

1) From everything I heard, it looks like our O-line still sucks. All I hear about is how our tackles are getting beat left and right during scrimmage and 1 on 1 drills. I'm sure glad that this new system is supposed to get Carr to get rid of the ball in a very timely manner or he'll once again be the most sacked QB in the league again. Hopes that Wand would come back and be our starting LT for years to come have been grossly exagerated, and apparantly, he was benched for legitimate reasons. Put Pitts back at LT dammit!

2) Faggins is a huge blow to us on an already presumably weak seconday. This sucks, what else can I say?

3) Carr definitely doesn't look bad, but I would think the jury is still out on how well he'll be able to take the next step when the season starts.

But there's a whole lot of good news too! We've been looking for a pass rush since our rookie year, and it looks like we're finally about to get it! Mario is doing great, and our RB situation is not as dire as it looked with DD not being 100%. I'm a realist too, and I can defiinitely see that we have some weaknesses as well as strengths. But Texans training camp has got me all pumped up for the season!
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #12
Honch Delgado
Veteran

From a realists POV, there is a strong possibility we could start the season 0-4 hitting the bye. That being said, we won't lose 14 games this year. The coaching change and the improvements to both sides of the line should shore up the pass rush and pass protection problems. I expect Mario Williams to do good things simply because his power and athleticism should overwhelm the tackle. Buchanan will shine this year, that's my longshot prediction. When given the ability to roam he should make plays. I'd be content with 6 wins and competitive effort each game. Less than 6 wins and 3 or 4 blowouts in my opinion should be considered a disappointment.
Old 07-30-2006   #13
Hottoddie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21867 Hottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respectedHottoddie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34
The pessemist is never dissapointed . He cannot celebrate with vigor either when his train comes in .
I disagree. The pessimist is always disappointed when his ship comes in. The only way he finds joy & happiness, is to be right.

AfricanCracker,

I'd rather be a sunshine a-hole, than a pessimistic a-hole, any day.

Thus, I'm predicting 9 wins this year.

The Texans Bull Rush
Welcome to "Sack City, USA"!

Last edited by Hottoddie; 07-30-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Hottoddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #14
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Pessimistic people are people who mock others for having hope.

They gloat when the ship doesn't come in, saying, "See, I told you so."

And they offer an indifferent shrug and a "tsk tsk..." if the ship does come in.

They win either way and thus have nothing to lose for their attitude.

Doesn't take much skill or talent to be a pessimist.

But go out on a limb and expect the best of somebody or some thing--Risk your pride for the reward of seeing your ship sail into the harbor. There is an eventual satisfaction in being optimistic that can't be explained. It must be experienced.

Better to have believed and be disappointed than to have disbelieved and be proven short on faith.
Old 07-30-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 304149 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2100
Show me a team that isn't optimistic this time of year. No one goes into training camp saying, "Yeah, I'll think we'll win about four games this year." All coaches say everything looks great, and all fans are allowed to be somewhat optimistic.

That being said, anyone saying the Texans are gonna win 10 games and go to the playoffs this year are setting themselves up for a letdown. If it happens, I'll be pleasantly suprised. But I'm hoping for six to seven wins this year. That would be progress. And this is the one time of year where everyone can be optimistic.
I agree. Being optimistic in training camp is the essence of renewing your fanatic devotion to the team. To believe that anything can happen, that your team is the one that might capture that elusive chemistry that seems to permeate championship calibur teams.

I'm optimistic, but I temper it with being realistic, as well. I'd be happy with our team if they go 6-10 this year, as long as they were close and in the game for those 10 losses.
Old 07-30-2006   #16
AfricanCracker
Rookie

errrr... first of all, being pessimistic about my texans this upcoming season makes sense considering we were 2-14 last season.. If anything, i wouldnt say that i am a total pessimist, but I am very cautiously optimistic about our expectations for this season. Yes, I would be happy with a 6-10, maybe a 7-9 season... but more importantly, I do believe that we have the talent in order to maybe (with major emphasis on the word maybe) reach a 10-6 record. That doesnt matter though, in reality... we have an UNPROVEN coach (whom i think is great, but still unproven), we have NO depth at key positions, and we have many players (carr, williams, o-line..) that will be under the microscope this season, thus adding pressure that they have never faced in houston before. Please do not reply by questioning my knowledge or "talent" of the texans, because that is very unnecessary.. I thought that I would post a thread to change things up in this forum.. because all I have been seeing (for example) is "Jopprue - getting much deserved attention" and what not... while bennie has YET to even play in a game.. much less a preseason game. but that is besides the point...

Suprisingly, not a single fan gave their "two cents" on the question of my post.. I just wanted to know ya'lls take on our "losing mentality" or so to say our "losing tradition"... i think this is a serious matter, and yes kubes is a proven winner, but no he's not a proven head coach.. but, sometimes people just need to get their chance..

are we ready to build on the 7-9 season we had a couple of seasons ago.... or are we going to build on the 2-14 season???
Old 07-30-2006   #17
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 77470 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Suprisingly, not a single fan gave their "two cents" on the question of my post.. I just wanted to know ya'lls take on our "losing mentality" or so to say our "losing tradition"... i think this is a serious matter, and yes kubes is a proven winner, but no he's not a proven head coach.. but, sometimes people just need to get their chance..
Okay . . then my "two cents" on the question of your post, is that I don't buy into your pessimistic view that the team has a "losing mentality" or has a "losing tradtion". That's quite different from losing "seasons" or losing "records".
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #18
Texian
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56086 Texian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respectedTexian is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's put the P&O aside for now and try some OBJECTIVITY. Last year at 2-14 Houston was 15th in the league in rushing. With the addition of Kubiak, Calhoun, Sherman, Benton and (Real Zone Blocking) all are familiar with Top 5 rushing teams. Add Flanagan, Salaam, Spencer, Winston, the influx of tight ends, Smith, Lundy and Taylor things have improved.
Real Possibility is a TOP 10 Rushing Team
Concerns is Davis knee Oline performance

The Texans ranked 30th in passing. With addition of Moulds, Walter, Putzier and the passe of TE's, Gulf Coast Offense Playbook and a different game plan there is a real possibility of the Texans cracking the Top 20 in passing.
Concerns: Oline Performance

The Texans ranked 32nd in rushing defense last year. With the addition of Kubiak, Richard Smith and a change from a 3-4 to 4-3, Mario, Demeco, Kalu, Cowart, Weaver and on paper this is now a better team. Real possibility of moving up 10 spots to 22nd in the league.
The Texans were ranked 24th against the pass. With all the above mentioned additions a real possibilty would be improvement to Top 20 agaisnt the pass. Concerns: The secondary
So what does this get you:
#10 rushing offense team = Jacksonville 12-4
#20 passing offense team = Minnesota 9-7
#22 rushing defense team = Tennessee 4-12
#20 passing defense team = Miami 9-7

34 - 30 / 4 = W8.5, L7.5 or 8 or 9 Wins and 8 or 7 losses.

corrected as noted by Coach C.

Last edited by Texian; 07-30-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Texian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #19
AfricanCracker
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus
Okay . . then my "two cents" on the question of your post, is that I don't buy into your pessimistic view that the team has a "losing mentality" or has a "losing tradtion". That's quite different from losing "seasons" or losing "records".

Ok smart ass.... SO, i guess records of : 4-12, 5-11, 7-9, and 2-14... constitute being displayed as "losing records", or even "losing seasons"... nevermind the trend that our team seems to be following (thus, a losing MENTALITY..TRADITION)... if your going to be a jerk, at least be competent...
Old 07-30-2006   #20
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Texian you messed up your calculations the #10 rushing offense in the league was Jacksonville or Cincinatti. Which would change your prediction. Also, AfrikanCracker (which is a questionable name to begin with) do not attack posters please. State your points and logically battle each other if that is not possible attack each other over Private Message.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read