Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-30-2006   #1
axman40
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34588 axman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respectedaxman40 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Young shows he doesn't like being intercepted

Vince Young served notice Saturday morning that his physical ability to play football isn't limited to when he has the ball.
Defensive tackle Randy Starks broke through the line and picked off a pass thrown by the Tennessee Titans' top draft pick, and Young responded by trying to break up the interception. The resulting collision left the 6-foot-3, 312-pound Starks on the ground.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=112688

Old 07-30-2006   #2
Zac
Rookie

Well, it's been well debated that if he wasn't a quarterback or a receiver or a running back, he could play linebacker.

He is a tremendous athlete. Quite possibly a once in a generation talent. He steaches hope and the imagination. It's like he plays on a different level and above and beyond reality.

Hopefully we can say the same thing about Mario Williams on the defensive end. I just haven't seen him enough.
Zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who built the pyramids? Vince Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac
It's like he plays on a different level and above and beyond reality.
Only Vince Young can draw adoration like this after an interception. I can't wait to read what Vince fans have to say after he actually completes a pass.
Old 07-30-2006   #4
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

I guess the last was Steve Grogan. He had the reputation of being one of the hardest hitters in the league. He also ran a lot earlier on in his career. ( option QB in college )

I also think I ran across him talking about his own football skills. Saying something about how of all the things he did, being able to convert from a bootlegging banger to a pocket passer after his speed and health slipped was his finest accomplishment.

I expect to see the Titans use him like the Patriots did too... in the red zone. That 76 season he was at the top of the NFL in rushing TDs and led the only team that stopped Stabler's Raiders from posting a perfect season. ( they would have beat them in the playoffs too, if not for the bad call )
Old 07-30-2006   #5
Ironist
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac
Well, it's been well debated that if he wasn't a quarterback or a receiver or a running back, he could play linebacker.

He is a tremendous athlete. Quite possibly a once in a generation talent. He steaches hope and the imagination. It's like he plays on a different level and above and beyond reality.

Hopefully we can say the same thing about Mario Williams on the defensive end. I just haven't seen him enough.
He's a good athlete, dont get me wrong...But a ONCE in a generation guy? Please...He's nowhere near the athlete Vick is (Young runs a 4.6-7 40, compared to Vicks sub 4.3) and as we've all witnessed, that doesnt make Vick a great QB. I have never seen Young play above reality...he cant hit a moving target if he really tried...

And the USC defense was atrocious...the fact that he ran on them like that isn't so much a testament to his abilities as it was to their ineptness.
Ironist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #6
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

Vick doesn't run a sub 4.3 40

He has slowed down a lot since entering the league.

Last edited by tulexan; 07-30-2006 at 06:18 PM.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #7
TFL
Veteran

Rep Power: 4909 TFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respectedTFL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40
Vince Young served notice Saturday morning that his physical ability to play football isn't limited to when he has the ball.
Defensive tackle Randy Starks broke through the line and picked off a pass thrown by the Tennessee Titans' top draft pick, and Young responded by trying to break up the interception. The resulting collision left the 6-foot-3, 312-pound Starks on the ground.

That would kind of scare me if I was a Titan Fan becuase you don't want to get your QB hurt trying to go for a big hit on a defender, but they say you are less likely to get hurt if you go full go instead of being a wimpy tackle(AKA P. Buchanon type hits) Still would not want my High paid QB going against a 300+ pound guy.
TFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2006   #8
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

VY is a big guy, but wonder in a game what would happen? afterall vince is wearing the red jersey in practice.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #9
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac

I doubt that anyone outside of Austin thinks he could play Linebacker.

He is this generation's Randall Cunningham. Nothing the NFL hasn't seen before.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by axman40

If that's the best thing they can say about his practice is that he tackled someone after throwing an interception...
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #11
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
If that's the best thing they can say about his practice is that he tackled someone after throwing an interception...
Don't confuse the "most interesting" thing with the "best" thing. Reading articles that do nothing but regurgitate daily training camp stats every day of training camp would be beyond boring.
Old 07-30-2006   #12
gwallaia

Rep Power: 66021 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

If any QB throws a pick, he is going to try to get even by going after the man who picked him off.

Example: Donavan McNabb, (warning, you can get hurt doing this) FREE SHOT on the QB!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_uvy...&search=McNabb

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #13
Haams
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironist
He's a good athlete, dont get me wrong...But a ONCE in a generation guy? Please...He's nowhere near the athlete Vick is (Young runs a 4.6-7 40, compared to Vicks sub 4.3) and as we've all witnessed, that doesnt make Vick a great QB. I have never seen Young play above reality...he cant hit a moving target if he really tried...

And the USC defense was atrocious...the fact that he ran on them like that isn't so much a testament to his abilities as it was to their ineptness.
Not to start too deep into the VY / Vick thing but...

Don't forget Vick is a dynamic player when he's not hurt - VY play's a similar style at 6'5" 222. His body can take much more of a pounding. Also, there is no comparison in their college resumes - VY has a solid edge in rushing and a landslide victory in passing.

As far as throwing the ball - Vince can put the thing on a dime, sometimes. At others he'd miss the barn. He does struggle with consistency but despite that he set a UT record for consecutive completions and led the nation in passing efficiency after the regular season. He did this behind a great O-Line that gave him all the time he wanted, but he also did it with an inexperienced recieving corps that had had caught a grand total of 0 TD's going into the season. You can decide how those stack together.

I would call him a once in a lifetime athlete. Give an example of a combo of his speed, power, balance, and elusiveness. And c'mon, the USC defense might not have been great (or even good) but when else have you seen a guy put up almost 500 yards in a single game...
Old 07-31-2006   #14
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

I would take it a step down and call Vince a once in a lifetime Quarterback. Yeah he is similar to McNair, Cunningham, and McNabb but he has things those guys don't have: elusive speed. Not to mention is 6'5 frame. With his size and elusiveness he brings something to the table that no other QB has before. He's something special.
Old 07-31-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
I doubt that anyone outside of Austin thinks he could play Linebacker.

He is this generation's Randall Cunningham. Nothing the NFL hasn't seen before.
That avatar is awe-some...
Old 07-31-2006   #16
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Only Vince Young can draw adoration like this after an interception. I can't wait to read what Vince fans have to say after he actually completes a pass.
Waive the waiting period for HOF consideration and stick him in there next year ?
The key word in all of that was "interception". Very impressive with the tackel, no doubt. Great Athlete, no doubt. But can he play QB in the NFL. We'll see.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #17
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
I would take it a step down and call Vince a once in a lifetime Quarterback. Yeah he is similar to McNair, Cunningham, and McNabb but he has things those guys don't have: elusive speed. Not to mention is 6'5 frame. With his size and elusiveness he brings something to the table that no other QB has before. He's something special.
I agree 100% with you...I see other QB's that VY is SIMILAR to but i don't see QB's that he is "just like"... But what does it mean when someone says "he is nothing special, there have been others like him",...That statement in itself means absolutely nothing....I guess that means Peyton is nothing because he is similar to Dan Marino and every other pocket passer that has come into the leauge...physical abilities isn't even half of what makes players "special"...although it helps to be tremendously gifted physically, like Young, Mario or Bush...But it takes a little bit of luck and a mentality of being a winner....VY has been a winner on every stage that he has performed on...So IMO, for someone to doubt him now, or try to find the smallest detail to nit-pick at is viewed by me as jealousy...He was the best QB in college last year...hands down...It's crazy how BASS ACKWARD some people are when viewing VY...Our QB played like ish last year, VY was an absolute beast...yet we are quick to defend our boy, but just as quick to bash VY...You may not think Carr will be a bust, but you are afraid VY will be better...
Old 07-31-2006   #18
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
I agree 100% with you...I see other QB's that VY is SIMILAR to but i don't see QB's that he is "just like"... But what does it mean when someone says "he is nothing special, there have been others like him",...That statement in itself means absolutely nothing....I guess that means Peyton is nothing because he is similar to Dan Marino and every other pocket passer that has come into the leauge...physical abilities isn't even half of what makes players "special"...although it helps to be tremendously gifted physically, like Young, Mario or Bush...But it takes a little bit of luck and a mentality of being a winner....VY has been a winner on every stage that he has performed on...So IMO, for someone to doubt him now, or try to find the smallest detail to nit-pick at is viewed by me as jealousy...He was the best QB in college last year...hands down...It's crazy how BASS ACKWARD some people are when viewing VY...Our QB played like ish last year, VY was an absolute beast...yet we are quick to defend our boy, but just as quick to bash VY...You may not think Carr will be a bust, but you are afraid VY will be better...
Yeah, you're exactly right. Anyone who is bashing Vince Young is simply jealous. You might not desperately want VY on your team, but it would definitely be nice. Any Texan fan who says they wouldn't want VY to come in and back up Carr for a few years then take over if Carr doesn't improve is lying. After what Vince did in college (national champion, rose bowl performances, passer rating, rushing yards) it's just very hard to imagine someone actually dissing him. Two words: Jealousy and Denial
Old 07-31-2006   #19
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Someone stop the hubris train, I want off. The difference between Young's speed and that of McNabb and especially Cunningham is not that much a gap. It isn't close to Vick's and while I would agree Young is a better overall football player and harder worker, it's a little bit early to be ascribing him "once in a lifetime" anything. Now that he plays for the Titans, I'm hoping he'll be a once in a lifetime bust; but the realist in me says that the truth is likely somewhere between those two extremes.

Quote:
Yeah, you're exactly right. Anyone who is bashing Vince Young is simply jealous. You might not desperately want VY on your team, but it would definitely be nice. Any Texan fan who says they wouldn't want VY to come in and back up Carr for a few years then take over if Carr doesn't improve is lying. After what Vince did in college (national champion, rose bowl performances, passer rating, rushing yards) it's just very hard to imagine someone actually dissing him. Two words: Jealousy and Denial
I have better words. Tired of the bullspit. Vince Young has done everything for some fans here short of fathering their children, and he hasn't even taken a pro snap yet. It's fine to like the guy and it's fine to think highly of both his celebrated collegiate career and his pro potential, but if you can't recognize the difference then you're the one in denial.
Old 07-31-2006   #20
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Someone stop the hubris train, I want off. The difference between Young's speed and that of McNabb and especially Cunningham is not that much a gap. It isn't close to Vick's and while I would agree Young is a better overall football player and harder worker, it's a little bit early to be ascribing him "once in a lifetime" anything. Now that he plays for the Titans, I'm hoping he'll be a once in a lifetime bust; but the realist in me says that the truth is likely somewhere between those two extremes.

Put VY and McNabb in a footrace. It wouldn't even be close. (VY would win of course)

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read