Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who is Dexter McCleon?

Never heard of the guy. Is he going to help out the secondary?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #2
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
Never heard of the guy. Is he going to help out the secondary?
A veteran CB who was originally drafted by the Rams, was with them for several years including their Super Bowl year. As a free agent, he was picked up by KC and started for them for 2 years and last year was mostly used a nickel.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #3
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Yup he was a pretty solid #2 for the Chiefs for awhile until Patrick Surtain came in last year but you couldn't really expect him to beat Surtain out. I think he will be a solid player to fill in for Faggins while he is out.
Old 07-30-2006   #4
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is whether we were going to sign the guy in the first place. It seems like right as soon as Faggins got hurt, we sign McCleon. As fast as it happened, I think the Texans were planning on adding him even before the injury.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #5
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected

What took us so long to sign this guy if we have a depleted secondary?

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Old 07-30-2006   #6
quicksilver
Overweight

He's lost a step from the days of his peak performance.
quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #7
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Looks like Dexter ain't going to be the only one competing for that CB job w/ P-Burnt:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4081063.html

Quote:
The Texans already were in the market for a veteran cornerback to play a reserve role. Now Faggins’ injury is forcing them to look for two.

McCleon, 32, is a former starting cornerback who will provide experience at a position that needs it. He’s expected to sign a contract when he arrives in Houston tonight and be on the practice field Sunday when the Texans resume two-a-day drills.

Last edited by Texans34Life; 07-30-2006 at 04:25 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2006   #8
Numbskull
Rookie

McCleon has had his best years with the terrible defenses in St. Louis and in KC. He was the 3rd-4th CB at each stop. He's no one to get excited about getting playing time and I'd definately be hoping that someone steps up and beats him out for the spot or we're looking at a mediocre player stepping onto the field at a crucial position.
Numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbskull
McCleon has had his best years with the terrible defenses in St. Louis and in KC. He was the 3rd-4th CB at each stop. He's no one to get excited about getting playing time and I'd definately be hoping that someone steps up and beats him out for the spot or we're looking at a mediocre player stepping onto the field at a crucial position.
He's a talker though. Lot's of attitude. That will help. He was a Vermeil guy, so Bob should be familiar with him too.
Old 07-30-2006   #10
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

Just an educated guess but I'd bet PBuc takes the 2 & McCleon goes to the nickle position ... or maybe I just stated the obvious.
Old 07-30-2006   #11
AFD1717
Veteran

Seems to me that McCleon is a "Rudy" type. Good instincts, effort, and understanding of the game but not a whole lot of ability. He was able to get it done for a while, but he's lost a step when he didn't really have a step to lose. I like the signing simply because of what is available and you can never have enough guys with good attitudes. Hopefully P-Buc will come to Jesus and we don't have to lean on McCleon too much.
Old 07-30-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

McCleon had a couple pretty productive years to for the Rams, and contrary to popular belief the Rams had good defenses for a couple years in there.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #13
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
What took us so long to sign this guy if we have a depleted secondary?

we don't have a depleted secondary, we have a young inexperienced secondary. Kubiak wants to make sure if one of our starters goes down we have a solid backup for nickel packages, which is what occurred with Petey..now we need to make sure have another backup veteran CB. PBuch will start now and McCleon will come in on nickel packages
Old 07-31-2006   #14
SESupergenius

If I remember right wasn't it McCleon that nabbed a pass to AJ when we played KC? It was a one on one coverage and McClean just outjumped AJ to get the ball.
Old 07-31-2006   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66299 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Dexter McCleon used to be the man. When he was with the Rams he played well even at a older age. I will be our Deion Sanders of the Ravens defense. Old guy though. Smart guy who can teach these younger guys, D-Rob (24), P-Buch (26) some things. We still need a more athletic CB, I dont think McKenzie is going to cut it.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #16
Chance_C
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4104 Chance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respectedChance_C is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If I remember right wasn't it McCleon that nabbed a pass to AJ when we played KC
I think you're right...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read