Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-29-2006   #1
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 41913 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Wink NFL's Greatest Hitters...

Who is the NFL’s All-Time Greatest Hitter?
Names such as Lawrence Taylor, Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Ronnie Lott, Ray Nitchske, Mike Singletary, and ALL those old dudes that played Back in the Day without facemasks immediately come to mind. But what about guys like Don Beebe that were small in size but packed quite a wallop? Guys like our own hometown boy Ray Childress sure packed some pop!
When I think of the guys I mentioned above, I think that they were paid to be fearsome and ruthless. So when I think of the All-Time Greatest Hitter…there is one name that comes to mind…
Earl Campbell!
Now I am clearly biased…but I think the licks he passed around the league in his few years, were second to none! He could run past you, or run smooth over you! He feared no man!
So who’s yours?
Here’s a link for your viewing pleasure of some great NFL hits…

Special Thanks to False Start for the awesome sig! U Rock!
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #2
BradK10
Hall of Fame

Send a message via AIM to BradK10 Send a message via Yahoo to BradK10

Chuck Cecil
Old 07-29-2006   #3
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 39634 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

"I like to believe that my best hits border on felonious assault."
Jack Tatum

Old 07-29-2006   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

For pound to pound, Jack Tatum IMO.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #5
Tale Gator
________

Rep Power: 16 Tale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden coverTale Gator could be on the next Madden cover

Michael Irvin.
Tale Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #6
cuppacoffee
Resident Grouch

Rep Power: 87056 cuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respectedcuppacoffee is a quality contributor and well respected

Do cheap shots count?

Any Jacksonville Jaguar player. ....as long as the player he is hitting is out of bounds and vulnerable.

Old 07-30-2006   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Alan Lydell, pound for pound the hardest hitter I ever saw on any level at any time.

Dick "Night Train " Lane....the clothesline. There was another little guy that played in that era had the wing hit. I forget his name...he would take his arm and bend it, like a forearm shiver...catch them in the larynx. knocked out a dozen guys with that hit over his career.

How about the guy that laid out Frank Gifford for the Eagles, 1959 championship game, Chuck Banardcheckski, what ever ? Hit Gifford so hard took him a full year to come back. And...Gifford, lost the whole week. He remembers nothing. That's a concussion, old school.

Jack " they Call me assasin" Tatum. I haven't heard of Darrel Stingly(SP) giving any dancin' lessons lately. That has to be the most vicious hit of all time. When he hit the ground I wondered if his head would come loose from his shoulders when they pealed the helmit off.

But the most effcient Hitter... was Deacon Jones. Lots of guys from the 60's still got ringing in their ears from the head slap move. Guy racked up some sacks with that move.

Last edited by threetoedpete; 07-30-2006 at 12:41 AM.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2006   #8
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
How about the guy that laid out Frank Gifford for the Eagles, 1959 championship game, Chuck Banardcheckski, what ever ? Hit Gifford so hard took him a full year to come back. And...Gifford, lost the whole week. He remembers nothing. That's a concussion, old school.
You're thinking of Chuck Bednarik. That was a wicked shot.

When I first saw this thread, the first thing I thought was Earl Freaking Campbell. That time he nailed that Ram LB (I've forgotten his name) or the time he hit the Raider line so hard he knocked his ownself out but kept moving forward.

But... really... I think I gotta go LT. I mean, he ended Theisman's career and almost ended either Montana or Young's career. He put some killer shots on some people.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #9
mike moffat
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6673 mike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respectedmike moffat is a quality contributor and well respected

Just for consistency, I have to go with Dick Butkus. Every play was given 100%. Almost every tackle, he put them on thier backs.
The other names mentioned are solid too.
Old 07-30-2006   #10
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Who was the guy that met Campbell at the goal line? Earl still scored, but that had to be the most violent collision I've ever seen and the only time I ever saw anyone bring Earl to a dead stop....sorta. I'm thinking it was a Steeler. Shell or Blount maybe?
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 133123 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ad.php?t=25023

this thread has some videos on hits..
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #12
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tale Gator
Michael Irvin.
are you on crack??

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #13
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

in today's game I have to go with Roy Williams from Cowboys...

Offensively it had to be Christian Okuye!

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Old 07-30-2006   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
You're thinking of Chuck Bednarik. That was a wicked shot.

When I first saw this thread, the first thing I thought was Earl Freaking Campbell. That time he nailed that Ram LB (I've forgotten his name) or the time he hit the Raider line so hard he knocked his ownself out but kept moving forward.

But... really... I think I gotta go LT. I mean, he ended Theisman's career and almost ended either Montana or Young's career. He put some killer shots on some people.
Isaha Robertson I believe. Ty for the help with Chuck.
Old 07-30-2006   #15
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike moffat
Just for consistency, I have to go with Dick Butkus. Every play was given 100%. Almost every tackle, he put them on thier backs.
The other names mentioned are solid too.
I'll agree with that one. QBs feared him. Forget who the quote was from but it's a good one..."Most people hit the player tring to put him in the hospital. Butkus was trin' to put 'em in the morgue. " People ooh and ahh over Urlacker today, but befor DB hurt his knees he was like that also, he could run with the RB's and WR's.
Old 07-30-2006   #16
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

great names listed there that is for sure.
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #17
flylikeaneagle
Veteran

Brian Dawkins is one of the best hitters in the league today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBfAJ_sJ_Xk

DAWPLEX!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6VsE...rian%20dawkins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76NPK...rian%20dawkins
flylikeaneagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #18
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

Anyone remember Steve Atwater nailing the Nigerian Nightmare??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIf3...istian%20okoye

Oh yea add Ronnie Lott to this list....

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Old 07-31-2006   #19
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 345471 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Isaha Robertson I believe. Ty for the help with Chuck.
I was originally thinking it was Isaiah Robertson or Isaiah Somethingorother.

Thanks.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006   #20
dcarey20
Veteran

ray lewis

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read