Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-29-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Moon: Hall recall

Quote:
(July 27, 2006) -- The journey for Warren Moon to become the first African-American quarterback elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame didn't start with any fanfare or press conferences or SportsCenter highlights.

It started very quietly as a freshman at West Los Angeles Junior College in 1974. He would stay there for only one year, but it typified his unique ability to fight against long, uphill odds to get to the next level.

He spent his final three years in Seattle at the University of Washington, helping usher in the era of new head coach Don James, who would over the next two decades become the greatest coach in Huskies history. Moon, at just under 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, was an athletic blend of fast legs and a strong right arm. It just took the arm a little longer to get there. And that's what made Moon so difficult to scout as a college player ... and probably why he had to go to a JC and to Canada to prove his talents to those at the next level.

The first two seasons under Moon's rollout offense, UW went 11-11, but Warren failed to complete 50 percent of his passes either season. He came back focused his senior year, however, completing 56 percent and leading the Huskies to a 10-2 record and a Rose Bowl victory against Bo Schembechler's Michigan Wolverines. That 1977 season for UW turned on a Moon rollout to the right against Southern California late in the regular season that went for 70 yards and a game-winning touchdown to vault the Huskies to Pasadena.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9574729
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #2
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Upon joining the NFL after the Oilers won a bidding war in 1984, his first three seasons in the NFL were unremarkable -- 40 touchdowns, 59 interceptions, 13 victories. One game I remember early in his NFL career is one I'm sure he wants to forget. In 1985, the Cowboys tied an NFL record by sacking him 12 times.
wow i don't remember that

Quote:
During his 17 years with the Oilers, Vikings, Seahawks and Chiefs, Moon went to nine Pro Bowls. In 1991, he set NFL single-season records with 404 completions and 655 attempts (both since surpassed). He is No. 4 in NFL history with 49,325 passing yards, No. 4 with 3,988 completions and No. 5 with 291 touchdown passes. And he added 22 rushing touchdowns.

Altogether, he racked up 435 passing touchdowns and over 70,000 passing yards in 23 years of pro football. That's an incredible career -- and entering the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility is a fitting conclusion -- for a man who had to prove so much all the way through it.
Old 07-29-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
This is the second successive year that a player who wore No. 1 as a primary uniform number entered the Hall of Fame. In 2005, two such players (Benny Friedman and Fritz Pollard) entered the Hall.

A total of seven players who wore No. 1 as a primary number are in the Hall of Fame. No other primary number can claim more than six enshrinees.

wow, I thought maybe 34 would be the number.. lots of great RB's wore that
Old 07-29-2006   #4
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 402769 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the info, Wolf! I had forgotten a lot of the details about Moon, but I've never doubted his greatness as a QB.
Old 07-29-2006   #5
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
wow i don't remember that
I do.

He has quite a few fumbles too...

BUT like Dennis Green said... when he was on, he was on.
Old 07-29-2006   #6
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1347 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
I do.

He has quite a few fumbles too...

BUT like Dennis Green said... when he was on, he was on.
But could have Moon put up those numbers in any offense other than the infamous "Chuck and Duck"???
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #7
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would that matter ? Should Montana have an astrick by his name ? Joe Cool had the sorriest arm strength of any QB ever to win an MVP. So you're saying because Warren played in a run-n-shoot, instaed of a WCO or whatever, that should some how deminish his accompishments ?

all I know is I've got the Kansas City card and an Old Oilers cap signed. I'ma happy man. Shame about the Kansa City game. No doubt Warren had the record locked up. None of the coaches knew.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2006   #8
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolaid Time
But could have Moon put up those numbers in any offense other than the infamous "Chuck and Duck"???
Absolutely!!!

After he left Houston, he put up two hefty seasons in Minnesota without a run 'n' shoot. Then in Seattle he did alright too.

A great QB is a great QB and doesn't need a special system or anything like that to shine. The cream always rises to the top to quote Boomer on Moon.
( granted Boomer did NOT like the Herzeg Oilers and that was more about what he was talking about in my eyes ) (( I think McClain recently got an interview with Herzeg too!!! Funny, funny... not sure if it has been printed yet though ))

Here's a story from what is his home town:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...55_moon30.html
( good stuff )

I have seen Warren at little functions every now and then with other QBs. Sometimes no-name rookies and sometimes other starters. Even up to at least a year or two ago... when throwing the ball, he was still sharper at it then these guys that are playing every year. Sure it's backyard barbcue events and not a game, but it says a little bit nonetheless.
---

Same goes for Joe. That's the only reason I was happy about SF letting him go... was just so that I didn't have to hear about how the system made him and not the other way around. ( well I still have to hear it... but I digress )

I mean he went on to win with Schottenheimer in KC. So it wasn't just the Walsh system that made Joe who Joe is... and for the most part he is considered as one of the best in the position to play the game. Rare is it that you ever see someone talking about the best and not hear his name called.
---

Back to Moon and his stats

if you look at them, he threw just as much outside of a run n shoot as he did in one. ( 600 attempts under Green )
Old 07-30-2006   #9
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Warren Moon making the first ballot is one more thing that's actually right in this world.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006   #10
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

has anybody seen the front page of the Chronicle? I am just curious to know if Moon is on the cover somewhere.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read