Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2006   #1
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Voice of the Fan, first day of Training Camp

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/de...0Latest%20News

Nice and timely work AJ.

My favorite line by far is:
Quote:
Coach Bob gets my award for coach’s quote of the day when he screamed “I want upper body violence!” to get a point across.
That is just brilliant.
Old 07-29-2006   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

What? No mention of old pals he hasn't seen in awhile....or how about some news about a friend who's having a baby?

Keith at HPF, TexansChick, and AJ are all producing the type of coverage and analysis that big-name writers are failing to provide.

Thanks, AJ. Another great coverage of the action from someone who really loves Texans football. Thanks, man.

How the Chronicle bosses can live with themselves is BEYOND me.
Old 07-29-2006   #3
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Real nice piece of writing aj. Felt as though I was there. I really like this part, and can picture this in my mind...

Quote:
Peek showed his intensity and explosiveness during the hangman, once leaving “Caveman” Eric Winston wondering what happened as Peek spun by him and ripped the dummy off the sled.
Gotta feeling 'bout these Texans!
Old 07-29-2006   #4
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks for the kind words. Next blog post will be about training camp, but mostly a collection of stuff because there's not much to add to the fine things already done.

Well, and also, because of the way I submit things to the Chronicle, there is usually a frustrating delay from the time I write something until the time it is posted, so the blog posts are more likely to be more focused on analysis and data collection, then providing straight up news.

As for Coach Bob, he is the assistant coach that I haven't met that I would most like to meet.
Old 07-29-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"Friday’s high of 94 degrees was right on the norm for this time of the year, so for those Texans players from Portland, Maine; Caldwell, Idaho; and Gillette Wyo., welcome to Houston!
Actually, I don’t think it really matters where you’re from, since I saw equal opportunity slog and sweat among veterans of the Big Sky and SEC on Friday morning’s first installment of training camp at the Texans’ practice facility. "
I dunno, but I think it matters. I remember getting off work one day in July
many years ago when I was working in Boise, Id. and it was 106 degrees ! But I also remember thinking it was not as bad as 95 degrees in Houston.
When they say its a "dry heat", it really makes a difference.
"Johnson getting stonewalled by rookie free agent tackle Mike Brisiel during the hangman was somewhat troubling, but coach Kubiak has made no secret of the fact that Travis needs to step it up during this camp. "
How long before TJ picks a fight with the undrafted rookie FA OLineman ?
But this year, the rook FA may not be the one that gets cut.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #6
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
"Johnson getting stonewalled by rookie free agent tackle Mike Brisiel during the hangman was somewhat troubling, but coach Kubiak has made no secret of the fact that Travis needs to step it up during this camp. "
But this year, the rook FA may not be the one that gets cut.
Just to add, it is my understanding that TJ dropped the weight that they wanted him to drop. Don't know if that means anything in the big scheme of things other than he is taking the challenge of the coaches seriously.
Old 07-29-2006   #7
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"My favorite pre-game beverage is St. Arnold beer. I am particular partial to their Amber Ale. They have a tailgate going in the Platinum lot, and I feel that it is probably a good thing to support a Houston company named after a saint before I see my Houston Texans play. I don't drink much, but when I do, I would prefer it to be a beverage that is worth drinking. St. Arnold does a nice job. "
So you're a connoisseur of fine beers, uh TC ?
I enjoy sampling an exotic brand now and then, but remain ever faithful to my "Colorado Koolaid".
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dunno, but I think it matters. I remember getting off work one day in July
many years ago when I was working in Boise, Id. and it was 106 degrees ! But I also remember thinking it was not as bad as 95 degrees in Houston.
When they say its a "dry heat", it really makes a difference.
It is the age old arguement, but I am in your camp. Having grown up in Las Vegas and Austin. I will take the dry heat anyday for outdoor activity.
Old 07-29-2006   #9
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 62 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Them are some nice lookin' Texans fans in the pic. One looks very familiar...

Keep the camp reports coming, some of us can't get there and appreciate the insight.

Dunno which is worse, broken toes or grown kids with no cars who think Mom is their Metro service. But that rant is for the NO Spin Zone.
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #10
vtech9
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 vtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVPvtech9 was voted MVP
Send a message via Yahoo to vtech9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl

Them are some nice lookin' Texans fans in the pic. One looks very familiar...

Keep the camp reports coming, some of us can't get there and appreciate the insight.

Dunno which is worse, broken toes or grown kids with no cars who think Mom is their Metro service. But that rant is for the NO Spin Zone.
for some reason, your link isn't working
vtech9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #11
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
"My favorite pre-game beverage is St. Arnold beer. I am particular partial to their Amber Ale. They have a tailgate going in the Platinum lot, and I feel that it is probably a good thing to support a Houston company named after a saint before I see my Houston Texans play. I don't drink much, but when I do, I would prefer it to be a beverage that is worth drinking. St. Arnold does a nice job. "
So you're a connoisseur of fine beers, uh TC ?
I enjoy sampling an exotic brand now and then, but remain ever faithful to my "Colorado Koolaid".

I like supporting local folks. Especially when they make products as fine as St. Arnold does. I appreciate fine food and beverages--I have a refrigerator that mostly has things of the liquid variety in it. Water, Milk,Sodas, Coors Lite, various St. Arnold products, non-alcoholic beers and wine. I like making sure I have the right beverage to go with food:

Asian food - beer
Pizza - diet coke
Mexican food - diet coke
fancy food - wine
Texas summer - lots o water

I mostly drink tap water but I find that I like bottled water when I am running errands or else I just don't think to drink enough.

The next blog post will be up this afternoon--the web people are out until later. It's a Day 1 recap--though admittedly this piece is mostly aimed for Chronic online readers who may not be MB types.

My 2006 Texans Virtual Tailgate ain't blue lot worthy though.
Old 07-29-2006   #12
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Asian food - Coors Lite
Pizza - Coors Lite
Mexican food - Coors Lite
fancy food - Coors Lite
Texas summer - Coors Lite & lots o water
"To each his own".
Old 07-29-2006   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Great column, aj! I appreciate the insight you bring to us.

I definitely sounds like a new era in Texansland.
Old 07-29-2006   #14
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Quote:
"To each his own".
What the? Feel like I am in a Time Warp and viewing a Kewr's Light ad.

Just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.
Old 07-29-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Hey, the FanBlog post is up earlier than I was told.

Day 1: Texans Training Camp

Love to have any additional comments on the post. I've gotten a lot of emails from folks that say that they have limited internet access for various reasons and rely a lot on the blog to keep them up with the skinny.
Old 07-29-2006   #16
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

TC I think it is a nice take on what was going on, would be interesting to see your observations if you were closer to the action and could actually here alot of what was being said.
Old 07-29-2006   #17
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
What the? Feel like I am in a Time Warp and viewing a Kewr's Light ad.
Just a jump to the left, and a step to the right.
KT, you're not one of those neo-Nazis are you ?
I mean if I met you, would I see some skin-headed white guy with tatoos all
over both arms ? I heard those a bunch of that type over in South Austin. Do you live in South Austin KT ? Just checkin ?
Old 07-29-2006   #18
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
TC I think it is a nice take on what was going on, would be interesting to see your observations if you were closer to the action and could actually here alot of what was being said.
There is no doubt. I'd love to write those observations.

Rub. It. In.

I've been closer to the action before, but on my own nickle.

I do not get media access because I am not media.

Media means that you are supposed to have the facade of neutrality and write stuff that goes on paper or goes over the airwaves.

I'm just trying the best I can with the resources I have.
Old 07-29-2006   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 657 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I would love to see that kind of emotion out of TJ. Right now there's no emotion, no nothing. He's lifeless, sluggish and appears about as unmotivated as any first rounder I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC
Just to add, it is my understanding that TJ dropped the weight that they wanted him to drop. Don't know if that means anything in the big scheme of things other than he is taking the challenge of the coaches seriously.
I don't see it. Quite the opposite from what I've seen.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006   #20
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

TJ is in the process of dropping the weight, but he is looking overly lazy out there.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read