Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2006   #1
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker
Default Payne in danger of not making the team?

Why no mention of him in this Kubiak presser?

(on what he told Mario Williams about the attention he will receive) “I just want him to do his job, I know there is a ton of attention coming his way, he’ll be evaluated every practice, what’s he doing compared to this, we know that’s coming. The one thing I told him was you just do your job. You are going to make everybody on this team better if you do your job well. I really believe that Peek and Babin will play well, (Anthony) Weaver will play well, Robaire (Smith), Travis (Johnson) will need to make the biggest jump of anybody on this football team. It’s his second year, its time to go. He has to step up and play well. But I think if Mario will just approach it, that I just have to play my spot well, and I think that he has to dominate the league or something like that, that’s not the key, play his spot well, his sacks will come, other players get better, out defense gets better, then he’s doing his job.”

I find it odd that as far as our DTs go, he was not mentioned as a guy who "will play well" I find it even more odd that he wasn't even mentioned at all.
Old 07-26-2006   #2
barzilla
Veteran

I don't know that I will read anything into that. Robaire Smith and Travis Johnson notoriously underachieved last season, so I guess he was thinking about people who would obviously improve with Williams. After all, all four players mentioned (not including Weaver) were players that didn't meet expectations last season. Maybe he's happy with what Payne did, so he didn't mention him for that reason.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #3
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it is pretty big jump from a coach forgetting to mention a player in a press conference to the player not making the team...stranger things have happened I guess.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #4
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1965 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel you maybe over reading here. It looks like the quote was one of those when you read it you jump, but if you were to hear the recording or see the tape, you see Kubiak just changed his train of thought to get to a point he wanted to make. He was not trying to dismiss a guy, just trying to make his point to Johnson, get in gear.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #5
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJoker
Why no mention of him in this Kubiak presser?

(on what he told Mario Williams about the attention he will receive) “I just want him to do his job, I know there is a ton of attention coming his way, he’ll be evaluated every practice, what’s he doing compared to this, we know that’s coming. The one thing I told him was you just do your job. You are going to make everybody on this team better if you do your job well. I really believe that Peek and Babin will play well, (Anthony) Weaver will play well, Robaire (Smith), Travis (Johnson) will need to make the biggest jump of anybody on this football team. It’s his second year, its time to go. He has to step up and play well. But I think if Mario will just approach it, that I just have to play my spot well, and I think that he has to dominate the league or something like that, that’s not the key, play his spot well, his sacks will come, other players get better, out defense gets better, then he’s doing his job.”

I find it odd that as far as our DTs go, he was not mentioned as a guy who "will play well" I find it even more odd that he wasn't even mentioned at all.
He said TJ needs to make the biggest improvement of anyone, if anything I think he is the one that would get cut.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #6
Bartkoman
Rookie

They wont cut TJ yet, they took him too high in the draft to give up on him this early. After all, they still havnt cut Babin.
Old 07-27-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

JMO, but if you want to draw inferences you would be better off looking at who they selected for the pictures on the season tickets. Payne appears on Week 7 vs. the Colts--Smith and TJ do not appear. Not saying any of them will be cut--just dubious any of the 9 players (plus Kubiak) selected are in danger of being cut.
Old 07-27-2006   #8
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkoman
They wont cut TJ yet, they took him too high in the draft to give up on him this early. After all, they still havnt cut Babin.
Kubiak & Rick Smith weren't involved in the TJ/Babin selections. I believe that the guys who make this team will earn their jobs on merit.
Old 07-27-2006   #9
BigTimeTexanFan
All Pro

Rep Power: 1964 BigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedBigTimeTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkoman
Why this statement? Even though TJ didn't see as much playing time his rookie year, Babin was much more productive. I still do not see what people have against Babin. Yes his cost was high in terms of draft picks, but he has been productive. He really started to come on at the end of last year when he was healthy. I am MUCH higher on Babin right now that TJ!
BigTimeTexanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimeTexanFan
Why this statement? Even though TJ didn't see as much playing time his rookie year, Babin was much more productive. I still do not see what people have against Babin. Yes his cost was high in terms of draft picks, but he has been productive. He really started to come on at the end of last year when he was healthy. I am MUCH higher on Babin right now that TJ!
I think Babin is perceived as a little lazy, but personally I'd much rather have him play than TJ. I tend to think he lacks that "fire" I like to see in my defensive linemen, but he's a good athlete and I think he's getting better.

Babin has also had injury issues IIRC, and dealt with nagging injuries that have been slow to heal.
Old 07-27-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I think Babin is perceived as a little lazy, but personally I'd much rather have him play than TJ. I tend to think he lacks that "fire" I like to see in my defensive linemen, but he's a good athlete and I think he's getting better.

Babin has also had injury issues IIRC, and dealt with nagging injuries that have been slow to heal.
I don't know about Babin being lazy. Was that said sometime or another? I personally think Babin's going to have a breakout year at DE. They've already said he's picked up lbs nicely to fit the DE position. I just don't think LB fit him well at all.
Old 07-27-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek

Can we have football happen already?

Who the heck says Babin is perceived as lazy? (I've heard and seen evidence to the contrary). Or that a non-mention in a press conference means something?

We will be getting real information soon enough without having to make stuff up out of whole cloth.

This header of this thread causes me Payne, I mean pain. Seth is one of the harder workers on the team, and a non-mention in a press conference should mean nothing as far as cuts.
Old 07-27-2006   #13
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
Can we have football happen already?

Who the heck says Babin is perceived as lazy? (I've heard and seen evidence to the contrary). Or that a non-mention in a press conference means something?

We will be getting real information soon enough without having to make stuff up out of whole cloth.

This header of this thread causes me Payne, I mean pain. Seth is one of the harder workers on the team, and a non-mention in a press conference should mean nothing as far as cuts.

Seth is up against 2 killers...Age & Money, he is getting older in a game that tends to favor youth, his cost while not prohibitive YET will count for something if he is not an every down player. (see Zach Weigert)
Old 07-27-2006   #14
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

I personally believe Seth Payne is in no danger of being cut this year, for whatever that is worth.
Old 07-27-2006   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
Seth is up against 2 killers...Age & Money, he is getting older in a game that tends to favor youth, his cost while not prohibitive YET will count for something if he is not an every down player. (see Zach Weigert)
That is something that is a truthful statement not made up.

Whether it means something this year is left to be seen.
Old 07-27-2006   #16
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
JMO, but if you want to draw inferences you would be better off looking at who they selected for the pictures on the season tickets. Payne appears on Week 7 vs. the Colts--Smith and TJ do not appear. Not saying any of them will be cut--just dubious any of the 9 players (plus Kubiak) selected are in danger of being cut.
Oooohhhhh how you torment with your bounty of plenty.

Forget you guys I am going to eat sushi and drink some sake.
Old 07-27-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Not surprisingly to some--Payne is on the starting TC depth chart as a starter next to Weaver with Smith and TJ in reserves.

So much for being cut.
Old 07-27-2006   #18
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11283 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

Regardless of who is listed on the Depth Chart tomorrow I am fairly sure that the best players will be on the roster when the season starts. I can't see Payne being one of those that doesn't make the team.

Williams, Weaver, Babin, Payne, Smith, Payne, Kalu, Peek would be my bets for making the team. Still, it's a little early and training camp hasn't even really started. A lot can happen in the next month.

I'm not an NFL GM, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once in 1998.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read