Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2006   #1
Bartkoman
Rookie

Default Who is better?

Who do y'all think is the better reciever: Mathis or Walter? Mathis no doubt has the speed to burn defenders, but I've talked to Cincy fans and they all say Walter runs terrific routes and finds open space, he is a good possession reciever.

Just wanted some more opinions.
Old 07-26-2006   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkoman
Who do y'all think is the better reciever: Mathis or Walter? Mathis no doubt has the speed to burn defenders, but I've talked to Cincy fans and they all say Walter runs terrific routes and finds open space, he is a good possession reciever.

Right now I'd say Walters due to Mathis being hurt. Other than his return game Mathis didn't really impress me much.
Old 07-26-2006   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 147080 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartkoman

Walter with-out a doubt . Mathis is fast but runs poor routes and gets a zero for work ethic . The guy has GOD given ability ..... Its time he puts out some effort to improve himself .

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #4
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

I still don't know where people get this Mathis is the practice clown schtick. Does anyone have a source for this other than "McClain said it on the radio once?"
Old 07-26-2006   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I'll choose none of the above (in the battle for the #3 WR).

Armstrong is a notch above both in my head. He is a reliable reciever and should be a #3 for us. He's been underused so much by the coaching staff the last couple years it's rediculous. Give Armstrong the ball

I think other than his kick returner skills Mathis has been somewhat disappointing and that he may become better than Walter in a few years but currently out of the two you stated I'd pick Walter.
Old 07-26-2006   #6
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

If it wasn't for his speed, Mathis wouldn't be in the league. His hands, routes, work ethic, etc., would make him at best, a CFL player. I haven't seen enough of Walters to make a statement, but I'm sure he's the better WR.
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #7
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexican_texan
If it wasn't for his speed, Mathis wouldn't be in the league. His hands, routes, work ethic, etc., would make him at best, a CFL player. I haven't seen enough of Walters to make a statement, but I'm sure he's the better WR.
I just saw a couple of clips of him with the Bengals on the NFL network during lunch. He looked pretty good to me, granted they were highlights. He looked like a good sized fella too.
Old 07-26-2006   #8
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
I still don't know where people get this Mathis is the practice clown schtick. Does anyone have a source for this other than "McClain said it on the radio once?"
Good point, Jerek. I haven't. Richard Justice said it once too, if that helps.
Old 07-26-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerek
Well, you do know where people get this, since you answered your own question. There was one comment about Mathis' attitude in the media, mix that with the motorcycle accident, put it in the message board pressure cooker, and voila......controversy.

I thought the whole Mathis attitude thing was an interesting case study in how people repeat each other's opinions, and those opinions gain more and more credibility throug repetition without the addition of new facts or observations.

This reminds me of an interesting quote in The Poe Shadow. I may have to look it up and use it as my signature.
Old 07-26-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Well, you do know where people get this, since you answered your own question. There was one comment about Mathis' attitude in the media, mix that with the motorcycle accident, put it in the message board pressure cooker, and voila......controversy.

I thought the whole Mathis attitude thing was an interesting case study in how people repeat each other's opinions, and those opinions gain more and more credibility without the addition of new facts or observations.

This reminds me of an interesting quote in The Poe Shadow. I may have to look it up and use it as my signature.
Thanks for clearing that up at any rate. A guy can be a hothead (reports of fighting, though some would even say thats just misdirected competitive fire) or a dummy (wheelies on the freeway, bad idea) and still be a hard worker.

No idea, maybe he is a practice bozo, but I've never heard that from a remotely credible source. IIRC McClain's quote had to do with Mathis not liking the old coaches and McClain wondering aloud if he'd get along better than the new.
Old 07-26-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:

I thought the whole Mathis attitude thing was an interesting case study in how people repeat each other's opinions, and those opinions gain more and more credibility throug repetition without the addition of new facts or observations.

Wasn't he late to a Pro-bowl event? I'm not insueing that makes him a bad person, but I think that's where all the nagativity got started. I might be wrong though. Personally, I love the guy as far as a returner. watching him kick on the afterburners on a return is fun to watch. I hope he gets healthy soon.
Old 07-26-2006   #12
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Wasn't he late to a Pro-bowl event? I'm not insueing that makes him a bad person, but I think that's where all the nagativity got started. I might be wrong though. Personally, I love the guy as far as a returner. watching him kick on the afterburners on a return is fun to watch. I hope he gets healthy soon.
Maybe. I still think things got overblown very quickly. Just to be clear, I think he has a lot of work to do before he is an NFL caliber receiver that deserves a lot of playing time. I just don't think is a locker room cancer or trouble maker as some believe.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Old 07-26-2006   #13
Bartkoman
Rookie

I dont really listen when McClain or Justice talk because I think they just like the sound of their own voices and they hardly ever have anything intelligent to say, so I dont really know about Mathis' work ethic. If anyone can coach him up to a good reciever, I think it would be Kubiak. I have seen some clips of Walter and I think he can be a dangeruos slot reciever. With Johnson and Moulds getting som extra attention, I think he will have no problem getting open against most D's (if he isnt open, Putzier should be)

I cant wait to see a more agressive offense this year instead of run, run, sack, punt like last year. Carr has some weapons to work with this year.
Old 07-26-2006   #14
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

For what it's worth, I asked Kyle Shanahan about his hard-headedness at the draft party and he certainly didn't deny it and in a round about sort of way confirmed it.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #15
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Maybe. I still think things got overblown very quickly. Just to be clear, I think he has a lot of work to do before he is an NFL caliber receiver that deserves a lot of playing time. I just don't think is a locker room cancer or trouble maker as some believe.

Of course, I could be wrong.
That Pro-bowl thing was the only negative thing I've heard. I can't really see him being a trouble maker. Wasn't he picked in the lates rds of the draft?

I don't really see him being a receiver any time soon. We need him as a return specialist.
Old 07-26-2006   #16
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
For what it's worth, I asked Kyle Shanahan about his hard-headedness at the draft party and he certainly didn't deny it and in a round about sort of way confirmed it.
I don't even like half your posts, wonger, but that post right there is a more credible source than McClain's extremely vague comment. It wouldn't even surprise me, just irritates me that people are blasting the guy and not giving a reason as to why they believe it.

Mathis was picked in Round 4, and I think he can be a dangerous receiver for us. Hopefully he gets better and gets practicing.
Old 07-26-2006   #17
Bartkoman
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
Wasn't he picked in the lates rds of the draft?
I think he was a 4th rounder. On the plus side, at least he wasnt been arrested for anything
Old 07-26-2006   #18
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Mathis got into some trouble with the law while he was in college. I can't remember what it was for. He has also been in at least one fight with a teammate off the field. I wouldn't conclude (yet) that he's a bad guy, but by the Texans' standards he appears to be troublemaker.

Interesting find on his coach... http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Sp...t_arrest.shtml

Last edited by the wonger need food; 07-26-2006 at 03:46 PM.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #19
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10331 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mathis will be used mostly as a KR and only a little as a receiver due to his abilities as a KR (speed!) and lack of abilities as a receiver (route running, hands, experience).

Walter, I haven't seen at all, but I've been hearing/reading good things about him. He's tall, runs good routes, and has good hands. On the negative side, I heard he's not very fast. I think he will be our 3rd or 4th receiver with Armstrong according to what I've been reading.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out in TC and the RS!
Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Mathis got into some trouble with the law while he was in college. I can't remember what it was for. He has also been in at least one fight with a teammate off the field. I wouldn't conclude (yet) that he's a bad guy, but by the Texans' standards he appears to be troublemaker.

Interesting find on his coach... http://www.sptimes.com/2005/02/28/Sp...t_arrest.shtml
Nothing wrong with going on a little bender every once in a while.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read