Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2006   #1
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP
Default Hulsey on Casserly: Broncos/DD

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/review/review47.html

Just digging around in different archives and found this little statement interesting.

Quote:
After Davis was selected in the 2003 draft, Casserly received a call from his Denver counterpart, Mike Shanahan, congratulating him on selecting the back the Broncos were hoping to take. The Broncos seem to have an eye for selecting second-day steals. It looks like they would have done it again if it weren't for a sharp set of eyes in the Texans war room.
So even from college Kubiak or somebody over at Donkeydom was looking at Domanick Davis as a good ZBS back. Along with the production he had with Pendry... I am kinda leaning towards 1,400.

add that up with this little stat

Quote:
25. Houston

Domanick Davis is a good back, but he's inconsistent. Part of that is a reflection of playing for the god-awful Texans, but he also misses a few games a year to injury and plays banged up a lot of the time. Vernand Morency has much of the same talent as Davis but not as much feel for the game. Davis is a much better receiver. Expect the Texans to use the fullback, newly acquired Jameel Cook, much more than last year. New head coach Gary Kubiak's Broncos ran behind the fullback 80 percent of the time, while the Texans did it just 53 percent of the time last year.
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/category/fo-on-fox/

That makes the little H-Back VS Fullback debate more interesting

It doesn't say 80% of the time over what time period... but I assume it means just last year.
---

Hulsey doesn't call out Carr though... and he lists Brown and Pitts as great moves.
Old 07-26-2006   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
So even from college Kubiak or somebody over at Donkeydom was looking at Domanick Davis as a good ZBS back. Along with the production he had with Pendry... I am kinda leaning towards 1,400.
Kubiak talked about that at one of the luncheons. They wanted a RB and were targeting DD in the 4th -- but they were picking 7 spots after the Texans. When the Texans picked DD, they weren't happy and had to settle for their 2nd choice, Quentin Griffin - leaving Lee Suggs, LaBrandon Toefield and the Whiz on the board.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #3
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Ah! So it was even bigger then I thought!

So how do you think the double TE is going to work out with the Pro set?

I am not too sure they are going to put Jamaal on the line ( as a TE ). And they will not be able to run 80% of their running plays with a lead blocking fullback from a double TE set.

I haven't seen enough Denver games to pay attention to how often the used two TEs. Unless of course what Dave said was meant to mean they will use more Two TEs then Pendry did?? But Pendry used it quit a bit... mmmm

Man preseason cannot get here fast enough...
Old 07-26-2006   #4
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391219 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I haven't seen enough Denver games to pay attention to how often the used two TEs. Unless of course what Dave said was meant to mean they will use more Two TEs then Pendry did?? But Pendry used it quit a bit... mmmm
They ran two TE's about 20-25% of the time last season. I suspect what Carr meant by using two TE's more was actually having them run patterns and attempt to throw to them more.
Old 07-26-2006   #5
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Along with the production he had with Pendry... I am kinda leaning towards 1,400.
I'd rather hear that the knee he has been rehabbing for the last 8 months is 100% before we start predicting 1400 yard seasons...
Old 07-26-2006   #6
BamaTexan
Rookie

Default 2 TE Set

They use the 2 TE set quite a bit. About half the games they start 2 TE's and use that as their game plan if they like that matchup in the running game.

Regarding the 80%... Last year Denver didn't use the H-back much because Hape didn't make the team (See Duke and Jackson), Putzier & Stephen Alexander were the "true" TE's and Denver project players Wesley Duke & Nate Jackson struggled at H-back. Duke got cut this offseason. Not to mention they found their "true" fullback in Kyle Johnson.
BamaTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
They ran two TE's about 20-25% of the time last season. I suspect what Carr meant by using two TE's more was actually having them run patterns and attempt to throw to them more.
What was the Pro Set usage? ( or is there some place that is tracking the formations? )

--

Tex279

Yes... but I am just going to dream right now.

--

Bama-Tex

How did the Broncos run the ball from the 2TE set. I am guessing they didn't shift a lot to pass? Meaning sending a FB to the line or flexed outside or something like that.

Did they just use the 2TEs in passing situations?

Or is that 80% line wrong and they didn't actually use a Fullback they used a TE or H-Back guy that shifted?
Old 07-26-2006   #8
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
I'd rather hear that the knee he has been rehabbing for the last 8 months is 100% before we start predicting 1400 yard seasons...
Yeah, the prediction gurus with various media outlets predict a blockbuster year for DD......and I seriously think he's going to be sat out for much (or all) of the season.
Old 07-26-2006   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshafer_1976
Yeah, the prediction gurus with various media outlets predict a blockbuster year for DD......and I seriously think he's going to be sat out for much (or all) of the season.
I agree with you. I'm hoping we either pick up a RB or one of ours steps up during TC. Only time will tell.:brickwall
Old 07-26-2006   #10
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

"25. Houston
Domanick Davis is a good back, but he's inconsistent."
There is nothing inconsistent about DD, but he is injury prone. I gather that's
what the author of this piece was trying to say ?
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #11
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been wondering if it could be a career ending type injury, maybe I am overreacting, but he has been dealing with this knee for 8 months while Carson Palmer was participating in 11 on 11 drills in camp earlier this month...
Old 07-26-2006   #12
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 150044 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been wondering if it could be a career ending type injury, maybe I am overreacting, but he has been dealing with this knee for 8 months while Carson Palmer was participating in 11 on 11 drills in camp earlier this month...
I wonder if they're going to have to go back in and clean his knee up.
Old 07-26-2006   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX
I wonder if they're going to have to go back in and clean his knee up.
I don't know exactly what was done to his knee, only that it was scoped. It should not take this long to recover from a knee scope so IMO it has to be something more serious. I read Kubiak say he was being "cautious" with DD's knee, but after surgery you have to start moving that knee again. I know DD was doing that light stuff but it's been 8 months now...
Old 07-26-2006   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
I don't know exactly what was done to his knee, only that it was scoped. It should not take this long to recover from a knee scope so IMO it has to be something more serious. I read Kubiak say he was being "cautious" with DD's knee, but after surgery you have to start moving that knee again. I know DD was doing that light stuff but it's been 8 months now...
I hear ya, it's been a while. That's what leaves me to beleive there might be a clean up needed. I know sometimes after surguries scar tissue builds up. Maybe one of the Docs can fill us in a little more.
Old 07-26-2006   #15
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of the posters here on this board is also a "sports injury and medicine guy" who has said (I think this is what he said) that DD's situation COULD BE one which is when a surgery leaves behind fragments and thus needs to be re-done to clean up the mess, which has been causing the swelling.

Hope I got that right. I probably messed it up completely.

Anyways, from all the stuff I read...and just what my gut tells me....I don't think DD's playing even one down of football this year.

Why we cannot just sit him for a year is beyond me. It's ONE year.
Old 07-26-2006   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
One of the posters here on this board is also a "sports injury and medicine guy" who has said (I think this is what he said) that DD's situation COULD BE one which is when a surgery leaves behind fragments and thus needs to be re-done to clean up the mess, which has been causing the swelling.

Hope I got that right. I probably messed it up completely.

Anyways, from all the stuff I read...and just what my gut tells me....I don't think DD's playing even one down of football this year.

Why we cannot just sit him for a year is beyond me. It's ONE year.
How long has it been since the surgery? Wasn't it just a scope? If it's still giving him problems after a scope he should've this taken care of some time ago. I agree with you on him not playing this year.
Old 07-26-2006   #17
BamaTexan
Rookie

Default Twin...

How did the Broncos run the ball from the 2TE set? The stretch play or run to the outside is one runing play that you will see a bunch. Always provides the TB an opportunity to cut back. Pulling the center and running to either sideis another. 2 TE's together and running the TB behind them. Kinda like lining up and saying here we come!

I am guessing they didn't shift a lot to pass? Meaning sending a FB to the line or flexed outside or something like that. They shift the TE a lot from one side to the other depending on the defense. He might stay in motion or drag slowly behind the line or line back up on the line. FB didn't shift much from what I remember.

Did they just use the 2TEs in passing situations? Primary running formation for Denver.
BamaTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006   #18
valleytexfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 275 valleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respectedvalleytexfan is a quality contributor and well respected

I sure hope DD gets well soon
valleytexfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read