Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-25-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 138002 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Suprising stat from the Texans

what stinks is we don't have a back that rushes for 100 very much. surpising is everyone praises our running game yet after 4 years 6 games only of over 100 yards

when we have a back that rushes for 100 yards we are

10/19/03 davis rushes for 129 yards we lose to the Jets(loss)
10/26/03 davis rushes for 109-yard against the Colts(loss)
11/27/03 davis rushes for 101 against the falcons (win)
10/3/04 Wells rushes for 105 against Oakland (win)
11/25/04 davis rushes for 129 against titans (win)
12/24/04 davis rushes for 150 yards against the jags (win)

4-2 after 4 years..
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #2
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
what stinks is we don't have a back that rushes for 100 very much. surpising is everyone praises our running game yet after 4 years 6 games only of over 100 yards

4-2 after 4 years..
keep in mind, we played a stalling dont lose offense during that time. I look for our offense to be 350 ish this year, but dont look for many 100 yard single performances. RB snaps will be spread out more this year. im guessing 2500 yds rushing between 3 backs.
Old 07-25-2006   #3
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Not being on a NFL roster days before training camps begin is not a good sign. I wonder if the attitude came back, or if he's in trouble, or there's an injury we don't know about.. surely his agent couldn't be playing a stupid game and still "looking for the best opportunity." Wells wasn't all that great but he could be a servicable backup/special teamer in the NFL.

He's only 27 years old and he didn't make that much money in his four years in the league - so I hope he has a good backup plan. He may end up falling into the category of the "average NFL player" whose career lasts 3.75 years followed by a fade to black.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #4
D-Vizzl
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 D-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballotD-Vizzl is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Not being on a NFL roster days before training camps begin is not a good sign. I wonder if the attitude came back, or if he's in trouble, or there's an injury we don't know about.. surely his agent couldn't be playing a stupid game and still "looking for the best opportunity." Wells wasn't all that great but he could be a servicable backup/special teamer in the NFL.

He's only 27 years old and he didn't make that much money in his four years in the league - so I hope he has a good backup plan. He may end up falling into the category of the "average NFL player" whose career lasts 3.75 years followed by a fade to black.
I hope they take a look at him though, even big Ron Dayne made a diff. last year. The team who can use a big pounder most would be Pittsburgh and I think that could happen.
Old 07-25-2006   #5
goodnews boy
Rookie

Default no power

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Vizzl
I hope they take a look at him though, even big Ron Dayne made a diff. last year. The team who can use a big pounder most would be Pittsburgh and I think that could happen.
Yes, but he didn't pound the rock like a big back.
goodnews boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #6
AFD1717
Veteran

Part of the reason we have such a good record when we have a 100 yard back is because it meant we weren't losing in the 4th quarter and having to throw the ball to catch up.

It's a chicken/egg thing.
Old 07-25-2006   #7
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

I wasn't implying the Texans should look at Wells - quite the opposite - he's a big straight ahead runner with marginal blocking/receiving skills who doesn't fit in our scheme - and apparently a lot of other team's schemes.
Sponsored links
Old 07-25-2006   #8
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.

Congrats on 3,000 posts. I dont see whats so suprising on this stat, we dont have the greatest O-Line to make the holes. This also means that we arent passing the ball late in the games and getting sacked all the time.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #9
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

Quote:

4-2 after 4 years..
Ah, 2004. How I miss that 7-9 season. Houston actually had a winning record at one point in the season...

But to my point. 100-yard games control the clock, which is something Houston did not do last year. He who controls the spice, err...clock...controls the game.

I am hesitant with the Houston defense this year, so I am hoping that the Texans offense will offensively control the clock and give the defense some rest. I know, I know - "that's not the Texans" you're saying, but it is something they will have to do this year in order to win.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #10
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I wasn't implying the Texans should look at Wells - quite the opposite - he's a big straight ahead runner with marginal blocking/receiving skills who doesn't fit in our scheme - and apparently a lot of other team's schemes.
I agree. I always thought he hit the hole too high. It almost seemed like he was straight up. He didn't have the put a helmet/shoulder pad in the gut type running style.
Old 07-25-2006   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch13
I dont see whats so suprising on this stat, we dont have the greatest O-Line to make the holes. This also means that we arent passing the ball late in the games and getting sacked all the time.
actually pass blocking skills are different than run blocking skills...and our line has been decent to good run blockers but poor pass blockers. Teams with leads tend to run the ball, so running stats can be deceptive as with most football stats if taken by itself.

I'm not shocked Wells is still out there myself. I was never impressed with his running abilities.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #12
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I think his (Wells) last chance to get on a roster is when the injuries start to pile up around the league. He'll then have a shot at coming on as depth somewhere. I liked him but I can't deny his shortcomings. He just never ran like a guy who weighed what he weighed. On one or two occaisions I saw him put his head down and run with authority. I don't know what was different on those days/plays but he didn't seem to grasp the concept that this was what he was supposed to be doing every down.

In order to be thought of as an option for an injured player Wells is going to have to stay in shape and wait for his phone to ring. He'd better stay in shape.
Old 07-25-2006   #13
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
Ah, 2004. How I miss that 7-9 season. Houston actually had a winning record at one point in the season...
Yeah, at 4-3 and then down hill from there in 2004. It's too bad we couldn't play Tennesse 16 times that year.

Banging on the running game, I can't believe it.

Well, think about this. David Carr has only thrown for 300+ yards about 4 times and thrown for 3TDs about 3 times in about 4 years worth of starts. He couldn't even get big stats in the garbage time.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #14
srstex
Veteran

Default Change the face of Arackis forever

Love those ain'ts, ain't in the playoffs, ain't in their own city, ain't in training camp. You can't win if don't sign.
Old 07-25-2006   #15
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 406301 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Hopefully we'll have an offense that can score somewhat consistently so we can put good leads up and rely on our ground game to control the clock. Our inability to drive down the field always meant we never had a safe lead and could not rely on our offense to come from behind.

I think we'll have a balanced offense under Coach Kubiak, but it will be heavily dependent on the running game. Establish a consistent ability to pound the ball so defenses have to respect it and play it accordingly. Then our receivers are left in man coverage and Carr can pick his passes behind decent protection.

But we should see more 100+ yard rushing game, as long as we have a RB that stays healthy.

In theory anyways....
Old 07-25-2006   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroussardSaint
Nice stats. now i see why y'all didn,t see a need to take VY or RB looks like you're set at those positions..
Just remember when you point your finger, there's three pointing back at ya.
Old 07-25-2006   #17
rafterticket
Veteran

Quote:
Nice stats. now i see why y'all didn,t see a need to take VY or RB looks like you're set at those positions..
Broussard, my old pal. Still writing silly posts from the road to nowhere?

Hey, I never answered your question! You know who is NOT drunk or otherwise impaired? Reggie Bush and his agent!

He knows if he's going to be the next George Rogers, he better get the bank up front.

Last edited by rafterticket; 07-25-2006 at 03:53 PM.
rafterticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Please place Reggie Bush training camp progress here:
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #19
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Hey OSO! Not to sweat, you are soon to see at least an 8-8 season this very year. We will have the passing attack to bolster our already good run game. The defense could be scary. The only thing holding us back from an even better season is the unknown (as of now) injury bug.
Old 07-25-2006   #20
NoBullTexan
Veteran

How can any Saints fan be so stupid as to come on our site and make snide remarks about running games, when his own team is the one that doesn't have an offensive line, and right now no Reggie Bush. I don't see much for you to be so smug about chum~ And when have you last been in the playoffs?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read