Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Who has more to prove in 2006, M. Williams or D. Carr?
Mario Wiliams 9 11.54%
David Carr 69 88.46%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2006   #1
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Who has more to prove in 2006, Williams or Carr?

I have ESPN Insider, and Jeremy Green wrote the article on the Texans Camp Preview. I think Jeremy doesn't know what he is talking about or just doesn't know how to convey his thoughts.

First, Jeremy basically says Williams has more to prove than Carr? Is this just ridiculous? Essentially, his point is Williams has to prove he was worth passing on Bush and Young. Maybe Carr needs to prove something since we passed on Julius Peppers in 2002? What is this guy talking about? He needs to get a clue. Carr has more to prove than anyone in the entire organization, expect for McNair himself.

He goes on in his review of the Texans and says that Carr will have a breakout year, but finishes his analysis by saying "expect him to become a middle-of-the-road NFL starter with the upside to get even better in 2007." Wow, that is a breakout year, Carr will just be average.

Another stunner in his review of the Texans is that Dunta Robinson will be the comeback player of the year. He states Robinson had a sophomore slump from his rookie year. Well, there was no pash rush last year and they couldn't stop the run, what does this guy expect from a corner back? It's not like a corner back can put a defense on his back and carry them to victory.

If you don't have ESPN Insider, don't worry about. There are many people on this board that do a lot better analysis than this lame writer. I am going to stick with you guys than this cruddy ESPN garbage. Need to get a refund on my ESPN subscription.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #2
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

I put Carr, because everyone is going to give Mario the rookie slack should he not get 16 sacks this year.
Old 07-24-2006   #3
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 324753 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Four year veteran Carr has helluva' lot more to prove than rookie Williams, IMHO.

I wouldn't mind an "average" QB on a winning team, though.
Old 07-24-2006   #4
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I pointed out Robinson's poor play many times as the year wore on last season so I think he has a bit of a point but he goes totally overboard about the comeback player thing. He wasn't that bad.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think there's much doubt that DC is the guy under the gun this year,
and in a way that he's never been before. But I also think that we every right to expect Mario to have a Shawn Merriamn type rookie season, though
obviously he doesn't run the risk of losing his job with the Texans this year
as Carr does.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #6
AJExplosion80
Rookie

Default Dc

David has way more to prove than Mario. This is David's make or break year. If he struggles this year we will be going for a QB next year I guarentee. But I think this year if he learns to trust his OL we will be fine. If he has happy feet we could be in trouble again this year.
AJExplosion80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #7
cincyTEXAN
Rookie

how bout the entire team.
Old 07-24-2006   #8
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Lets see...the guy in the league for 5 YEARS with no performance...or the guy who got drafted 5 months ago. hmmm...seems like a no brainer to me

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 107142 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

to switch gears.

I think the OL has more to prove, (not saying Carr doesn't have anything he is a very close 2nd)..
We have some 1st day draft picks on the OL and have big money on FA OL

Reason I say OL, we have blamed the coaches and they are gone, we have sherman and company that are zone blocking coaches... if they can't get the OL in gear, then we are back to square one

I want to know if Wand is the one that is a starter in 2004 or the Wand that was in the doghouse in 2005. I want to know if Flannigan can hold the center position and I want to know if McKinney can still play guard (he did his best at center but lets see if he can be solid at guard )
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #10
AFD1717
Veteran

I am a big time "Wait and See" guy with Carr, but if he sucks next year I'm through making excuses for him. If Mario struggles, I'll be disappointed but sometimes it takes a year...
Old 07-24-2006   #11
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

uh... alright.

Mario Williams doesn't have anything to prove this year. All he has to do is not get played and he will be fine. Hell, all he has to really do is make one monster hit for the highlight reels and this season is a wrap for him. After Leinert and Young start playing with the rest of the class next year, that is when things will heat up for him a bit. The rookie shield will work for one season on most players.

Kubiak/Carr have the seat this year... and rightfully so. In fact, I am waiting for the Texans PR machine to start shifting the weight to Carr/Kubiak to help Mario out. Sorta like what Pittsburgh did with Bettis and Rothlisburgensteiner ... still can't spell it right! ERRrrrr will look it up again... Roethlisberger.

But it's still a little early also...
Old 07-24-2006   #12
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Oh geeee, another disingenuous thread started with some pseudo reason so that the group of 6 or 8 prolific posting Carr haters can continue to take shots at Carr.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #13
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

David Carr since Mario williams might get the you were the 1st over pick we wont ever blame you for anything kind of slack.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #14
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783
Oh geeee, another disingenuous thread started with some pseudo reason so that the group of 6 or 8 prolific posting Carr haters can continue to take shots at Carr.
Please explain yourself.

How could this be a disingeonous thread? Do you believe Mario Williams has more to prove than David Carr? The point of this thread was a response to some lame writer making the point Mario Williams has to prove himself in 2006 more than David Carr.

If you answer yes, that Mario Williams has more to prove,who is really being disingenuous?

By the way, if Mario Williams has to prove himself that we passed on Reggie Bush, then doesn't David Carr need to prove himself since we passed on Vince Young? Just following the writer's logic.

edo783, you are the one with blinders. By the way look at the poll. Most people agree that Carr has more to prove than Williams.

Ohhhh, geeeezzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Also, I don't see anyone slaming Carr in this thread, just merely discussing the issue of who has more to prove, Williams or Carr.

Last edited by hollywood_texan; 07-25-2006 at 11:19 AM.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #15
real

Quote:
Carr Sucks !!! ...j/k...
Old 07-25-2006   #16
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It kinda tells me that people are split on Carr and he does play the most important position in the offense. I'm not surprised that people are worried about his game going forward. It's certainly an issue worth talking about on the teams message board imo.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #17
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Look, I don't know about ya'll but I beleive DC WILL be much improved. He's got the right tools he just needs to be taught to use them correctly. Yes, he is the one that has to prove something and I think he will.
Old 07-25-2006   #18
TexanBearkat
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to TexanBearkat

A lot of eyes will be on Williams but Carr has more to prove for a few reasons:

Carr regressed last season after improving each of previous years
Organization brought in an Offensive minded head coach/system to help Carr
Gave Carr the three year bonus option when other options where available
This is Carr's 5th year and time to show why he was the #1 pick
Old 07-25-2006   #19
Rosewood
Rookie

I voted Carr but they both have a lot to prove...the #1 pick has to show the world why he was indeed the top pick in the draft...at the same time, a 4 year vet has to show he can lead a team...Carr has to step it up with the better supporting cast around him...
Rosewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #20
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny
It kinda tells me that people are split on Carr and he does play the most important position in the offense. I'm not surprised that people are worried about his game going forward. It's certainly an issue worth talking about on the teams message board imo.
No doubt about that Vinny. I am worried also about his performance. It’s the adnausium constancy of some to do nothing but take shots at every opportunity. Discussion is fine and I am all for it, but some just want to keep finding ways to put up something that allows a certain segment to just continue their constant diatribe.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read