Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-24-2006   #1
Meloy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 Meloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVPMeloy was voted MVP
Default Anthony Weaver

Rightfully so, most attention is on Mario and DeMeco. I was not very excited with the arrival of Weaver, but with the way things have worked out, I feel AW will be a solid pick up. I understand he plays the run well and has found himself in the back field on occasion. I am hopeful that Mario will force the QB out of pocket and into the arms of Weaver. I just wished I felt better about Philip B. Comments?
Meloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #2
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I think Weaver is a great addition, but I wonder if he wasn't added at a time when the Texans were maybe still considering Reggie Bush. Either way, the tandem powerhouses of Williams and Weaver will be great for the defense. P-Buc is working hard, so I can't be as mad at him today as I was last season. (I really couldn't stand him last season.) I hope that the fact that he is on the bubble and the bolstering of the front seven helps him to reach his potential.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 119106 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Rightfully so, most attention is on Mario and DeMeco. I was not very excited with the arrival of Weaver, but with the way things have worked out, I feel AW will be a solid pick up. I understand he plays the run well and has found himself in the back field on occasion. I am hopeful that Mario will force the QB out of pocket and into the arms of Weaver. I just wished I felt better about Philip B. Comments?
Isn't Weaver penciled in at DT? The QB would more than likely be forced into Babins arms.
Old 07-24-2006   #4
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Talk about being heavily invested in a position. 3 first round picks and several very big contracts. Not including Gary Walker's dead money.

If the defensive line is not considered a top 10 group at the end of the year, this team has some serious issues.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #5
The Preacher
Veteran

Imagine the 180 if we're actually solid against the run. I am afraid to say this group could be dominant but...on paper it looks very impressive, especially if Mario makes a big impact and with his freakish nature he should. I was looking forward to what Weaver could do at DE but now he can hopefully collapse the pocket and play stout run D as well in the middle. Our front four is where I expect the most and what I look forward to seeing most.
The Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #6
AJExplosion80
Rookie

Default Aw

I think Anthony will be a good pickup. He has played on great defenses in Baltimore and realizes what it takes to make a great defense. I just hope he stays healthy and helps put some pressure on the other team's backfield. This is the most excited I have been about a year since the beginning of this franchise. I hope P-Buc finally plays to his potential and provides a presence on the other side of D-Rob.
AJExplosion80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #7
NoBullTexan
Veteran

AW and Mario will be inside only on passing downs to add more quickness to the interior rush. The DEs would then be Babin and Peek. Sounds pretty potent, but we'll have to wait and see it in action to really tell.
Old 07-24-2006   #8
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
I think Weaver is a great addition, but I wonder if he wasn't added at a time when the Texans were maybe still considering Reggie Bush.
I thought the same thing. I kept hearing about how Weaver was misused in Baltimore and would finally be returning to RDE which is his most natural position. I don't think they brought him in to be a DT, but that doesn't mean he won't be a good one.
Old 07-24-2006   #9
Dunta_23
All Pro

I am kind of dissapointed to see Weaver playing DT because I was excited to see what Robaire and TJ would do in the middle with Weaver as the strong side DE and either Babin or Peek as the weak side DE

I am 100% behind the pickup of Williams, but I wonder if the front office sees the addition of Weaver as a mistake now that they have selected Williams.... Imagine the run stopping ability of a line consisting of

Mario Robaire Payne/TJ Weaver
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #10
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
I am kind of dissapointed to see Weaver playing DT because I was excited to see what Robaire and TJ would do in the middle with Weaver as the strong side DE and either Babin or Peek as the weak side DE

I am 100% behind the pickup of Williams, but I wonder if the front office sees the addition of Weaver as a mistake now that they have selected Williams.... Imagine the run stopping ability of a line consisting of

Mario Robaire Payne/TJ Weaver
This line would indeed provide a pretty nice run stoppage, but having Weaver in at DE will inhibit the pass rush vs. having Weaver inside and Peek or maybe Babin at DE. I'm sure on goalline situations you'll see Mario, Robaire, Payne, and Weaver all in together, and maybe TJ too, but for every down situations it isn't as practical.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #11
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloy
Mario and DeMeco will help our whole defense get better. If P Buch can play coverage well, maybe get 3-6 interceptions like he has before in the past it would be ideal. Buchanon wont stink like last year again. I like that Dunta and Phillip have known each other for longer and I hope they turn into a nice starting duo.

Weaver should be a solid DT, we will see.

We have alot of potentially good duos on this team. Mario and Peek. AJ and Moulds. Putzier and Daniels. Dual threats.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #12
ocd
Rookie

Honestly, I don't know if this guy can beat out Travis Johnson once Karmelowicz sinks his teeth into him.

Once training camp starts I'm thinking TJ becomes an animal. Either way, Payne is gonna get injured, just the way it goes. Then you've got Weaver and Johnson side by side...and some guy named Smith.

ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #13
wrestler4life
Veteran

None of this will matter if our linebackers are ineffective. We can have a great front four, but if the linebackers can't fill holes or shed blocks, then we are not going to be as good as we should.
Having said that, a great front four does make your linebacking crew better.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read