Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-24-2006   #1
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected
Default McClain blog

His blog has been updated (I dunno if he had one before). Here's what I like to hear..

Quote:
Smith is a bundle of energy. He's always in danger of losing his voice because he screams so much. He's naturally aggressive. So far, he's listening to his coaches and players to get their ideas. I expect Smith will blitz a lot unless he gets a ferocious pass rush from the front four.
There's some other stuff regarding Kubiak and Troy Calhoun on there. Football season is almost upon us!

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2006/07/t..._the_year.html

Last edited by TexanSam; 07-24-2006 at 12:12 AM.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #2
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

where is his blog exactly?

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtbound07
where is his blog exactly?
My bad. I posted the link now.
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #4
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 903 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
My bad. I posted the link now.

thanks...i wasn't meaning it in a bad way...i was just genuinely curious.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #5
Koolaid Time
Drink Up!

Rep Power: 1346 Koolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respectedKoolaid Time is a quality contributor and well respected

Richard Smith was the creator of the "House of Pain" Special Teams of the Oilers back when he was coaching here with Glanville
Koolaid Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #6
thegr8fan
All Pro

Rep Power: 666 thegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respectedthegr8fan is a quality contributor and well respected

what a waste of cyber space. there is more info in that blog on Denver, Shanahan, and opinions of Calhoun from everyone OTHER than McLame.

nice fluff piece full of totally useless name dropping BS.

do we really need, or care, to know the name of McNairs personal assistant, Becky Virtue? does he think slipping her name in an article would get him through the door to McNair or something?

How about some meat McLame. What is Calhouns history that would lead one to believe he can actually be an OC?

Jon Gruden?? How in the heck is HE relevant to the Texans?

nice name dropping fluff piece of no actual value or merit at all.

typical McLame article actually.
Old 07-24-2006   #7
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default my favorite Mclame moment

I still have not stopped laughing from my favorite McLame moment.. with Mathis being hurt the Texans might be wishing they could redo thier top draft selection, Super Mario is just going to get double teamed all year...

How does the guy keep his job. That is probably why he takes 2 month vacations. If he didn't he would be playing golf all day with last years Texans assistant coaches.
Old 07-24-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8fan
what a waste of cyber space. there is more info in that blog on Denver, Shanahan, and opinions of Calhoun from everyone OTHER than McLame.

nice fluff piece full of totally useless name dropping BS.

do we really need, or care, to know the name of McNairs personal assistant, Becky Virtue? does he think slipping her name in an article would get him through the door to McNair or something?

How about some meat McLame. What is Calhouns history that would lead one to believe he can actually be an OC?

Jon Gruden?? How in the heck is HE relevant to the Texans?

nice name dropping fluff piece of no actual value or merit at all.

typical McLame article actually.
It wasn't terrible. I mean, it was not likely to be information that you don't already know, but it is nice to confirm those things. And it will be interesting to see what comes from the video.

Heck, I'd encourage y'all to leave him favorable comments about having an article that is Texans specific, especially you out of towners who don't get much Texans sports radio talk. Otherwise, his "NFL Blog" is likely to start concentrating on other teams.

If you have questions about aspects of the Texans, be sure to leave them in the comments. He does have access to a bunch of the team, and it will give him stuff that he can write future blog posts about. Seriously. You might not like everything he writes, but why not try to get more information about Texans stuff you are interested in? The worst that happens is that it doesn't get answered.

The more interest that is shown about the Texans, the more coverage they will get. That's how it goes.
Old 07-24-2006   #9
SESupergenius

It was beyond terrible, it was pathetic. No coverage of rookies at camp yet?
No "insight" or quotes from players.

Let me get this straight, we are supposed to support this guy and his raunchy writings, that way we get to see more of his pathetic coverage of the Texans??? I'm thinking you might want to take a course or two in basic economics.
Old 07-24-2006   #10
chuckm
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 chuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVPchuckm was voted MVP

He's on 610 now ....... supposedly spent yesterday with Young in Nashville at some function ..... no Texans talk yet but I'm holding out hope .....
Old 07-24-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm
He's on 610 now ....... supposedly spent yesterday with Young in Nashville at some function ..... no Texans talk yet but I'm holding out hope .....
I was going to listen, but when he started off with a local swimming competition, I switched channels.
Old 07-24-2006   #12
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 44196 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
It was beyond terrible, it was pathetic. No coverage of rookies at camp yet?
No "insight" or quotes from players.

Let me get this straight, we are supposed to support this guy and his raunchy writings, that way we get to see more of his pathetic coverage of the Texans??? I'm thinking you might want to take a course or two in basic economics.
It is not supporting the guy to ask questions.

But if you want more of a particular type of coverage in the paper, ask. If you were unhappy with the draft preview because it didn't have enough information about rookies, say something.

I would suggest saying those things in a way that is polite and reasoned because that is the best way to try to get things to change in the world.

YRMV
Old 07-24-2006   #13
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

If y'all want to see what a local sports writer is SUPPOSED to be like, check out Jim Armstrong of the Denver Post. Talk about a night and day difference. He isn't a homer, calls it like he sees it and talks (has a radio show in the morning) and writes about all Denver sports constantly and very much about anything Broncos. If only McLame would do that.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #14
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

C'mon there Hollywood, tell us something we don't know.
McClain as usual is regurgitating old news about the NFL that was in the papers last week or even last month as he rambles along on SR 610 this morning.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #15
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 28048 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Having lived in many cities in my life I have never seen this lousy of coverage for a local NFL team. John McClain is an awful writer in my opinion and provides no value to this market.

Since I do not buy the Chronicle, as I do not live in Houston, I have no need to complain to the staff as I am apathetic to his writing. The Chronic should know that apathy does not move product. He is more fan than a football guy, and he is an awful fan for the local team. I would take informed homer anyday over uninformed turncoat.
Old 07-24-2006   #16
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick
It is not supporting the guy to ask questions.

But if you want more of a particular type of coverage in the paper, ask. If you were unhappy with the draft preview because it didn't have enough information about rookies, say something.

I would suggest saying those things in a way that is polite and reasoned because that is the best way to try to get things to change in the world.

YRMV
So now I have to tell him how to do his job by saying something?? I have to tell him what to write about???? OMG!

Sure I'll do it, just send his payroll check right on over and I'll get that first thing.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 07-24-2006 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-24-2006   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
So now I have to tell him how to do his job by saying something?? I have to tell him what to write about???? OMG!

Sure I'll do it, just send his payroll check right on over and I'll get that first thing.

It was just an idea.

Personally, I hate grumbling about things without trying to do about things. It's pointless (and sometimes counterproductive). There is limited stuff you can do as just a fan and I find that frustrating. I do believe that individuals, when working together can get things done. That's why there is such a thing as a home field advantage.

If anyone wants to write a reasoned, supported critique of the Chronicle Texans coverage, or the Texans training camp coverage to date, please email me. Say what you didn't like in the Training Camp coverage or what you like in other papers, and I will put that sucker up on the blog if they are amenable to it.

It doesn't have to be long, but it has to be reasonable, practical, logical and something that you wouldn't mind kids reading. Write not to the audience here, but to a general audience that includes people who do not follow the team as closely.

I've written media critiques on the Chronicle and other media sources and have posted them in the blog before. I'd do it myself, but I'm swamped right now with life, and am working on some more football oriented stuff.

Here's my email, I'm gonna be gone for a while today, but really, I think this can make a difference.

So there you go.
Old 07-24-2006   #18
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 141 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Chronicle has been, always will be, a baseball paper first. No amount of e-mails is going to change that. Been the same for 45 years. Nothing is going to change. Football guys get the mushroom treatment. Keep'em in the dark and shovel them fertilzer. McClain's got ....influence. They (the NFL) are going to give him an award HOF weekend believe. So the General get's his name scribbled on the walls of Canton. He gives the casual/baseball fans what they want. Fluff.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #19
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Chronicle has been, always will be, a baseball paper first.
That may be, you've been in these parts far longer than I have and should know. But if it is so, it still shouldn't be so. This is not Boston or St.Louis, this is Houston. Houston freaken' Texas ! Football is in the genes in these parts.
I will never forget seeing what I consider to be the greatest MNF game of all
time. Its before I ever moved to Houston, before I ever knew I was moving to Texas. It was that game in '79, '80, somewhere in there between the Oilers
and Dolphins in the Astrodome. The one where Campbell had a run from scrimmage that was about 75 or 80 yards long for a TD. I'd never seen such passion by fans, any kind of fans as that night in that game being telecast from Houston.
If football isn't the Chronicle Sports departments top priority, somebody ought
to remind them about that game.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Win, and the pieces fall into place (ie. writers taking the time to learn and write about a team). Like it or not, losing teams are not that popular outside of the hardcore fans.

McClain's alright. While his blog is short on depth, I think we've got to realize that it'll pick up once training camp kicks in and all of our players/coaches are together again.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read