Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2006   #1
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default So where is Mario going to line up? Seriously.

I ask this because a while back everyone was saying he would line up on the strong side. That would mean he lines up against the LT right, so wouldn't he be the RE. I know he's a rookie and all, but shouldn't the best DE be lined up on the strongside, I mean I know Peppers lines up on the weakside, but he has a proven end on the right side in Rucker. Aside from Peppers don't the top DE's usually take the strongside. I mean Freeney, Rice, Strahan, Kearse and others usually start off on that side right? Did I miss something? Or do they mean he'll line up on the left side over the left tackle? If that's the case do you guys think Babin/Peek can handle opposing LT's effectively?
dat_boy_yec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec
I ask this because a while back everyone was saying he would line up on the strong side. That would mean he lines up against the LT right, so wouldn't he be the RE. I know he's a rookie and all, but shouldn't the best DE be lined up on the strongside, I mean I know Peppers lines up on the weakside, but he has a proven end on the right side in Rucker. Aside from Peppers don't the top DE's usually take the strongside. I mean Freeney, Rice, Strahan, Kearse and others usually start off on that side right? Did I miss something? Or do they mean he'll line up on the left side over the left tackle? If that's the case do you guys think Babin/Peek can handle opposing LT's effectively?
You have your weakside/strongside terminology backwards.

Mario will be the strongside DE for the vast majority of the time, unless they move him inside to DT on passing situations or if they decide to move Weaver to DE and bump Mario to weakside DE. Traditionally the strongside DE is the LDE and lines up opposite the ROT, although in our defense he will not automatically line up opposite the ROT, he will line up on the side that the TE is on (the strong side of the offensive formation) if there is only one TE. If there are no TEs or else one TE on each side, then it will just depend on which side they consider the strongside of that formation.

Generally your better pass rushers are your weakside DEs (RDE lining up on LOT). You usually want your quicker (generally also your smaller) DE at RDE since they will be rushing from the QBs blind side (for right handed QBs), and most teams will run the ball more to the right side of their formation, so you want the LDE to be your bigger, stronger run stopper. Julius Peppers is one of the few exceptions, although he is also pretty big and was just more comfortable rushing from the LDE position.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 07-23-2006 at 10:08 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_boy_yec

The strongside is usually the side that the TE lines up (the reinforced run side) which is typically the right offensive side. I would think that with Mario being slated for the strongside, that would mean he would line up on the left end.

Morknolle.......I left the computer before I finished typing and didn't see your detailed explain. Better late than never.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #4
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 dat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballotdat_boy_yec is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 07-24-2006   #5
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 71 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Trying to be like McLame

I thought I would do an impression of McLame and use a lot of hot air to say almost nothing, just a bunch of crap that has already been said...

That is what excites me the most about the line this year, the variety of packages. I really see Mario getting most of his snaps at the strongside LE. (Although Weaver will be playing the position some too). But the D-line will be very tough to defend because they also will attack with both Peak and Babin on the field at the same time in which Mario will probably be at RT. As well as playing some plays with Mario and Weaver as the two ends, which will probably put Mario at RE.
Old 07-24-2006   #6
phan1
All Pro

Having Mario, Weaver, Peek, and Babin in the lineup on 3rd and long is pretty darn exciting.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #7
jparrish
Rookie

Strong side is generally assigned to the side with the Tight End. There are some instances where the formations call for the strong side to be opposite the Tight End, but only when that side is stacked. Julius Peppers does not plays and Michael Strahan play on the strongside. Freeney, Rice, and I believe Kearse play on the weak side.
jparrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-24-2006   #8
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Doesn't matter, he can't catch Vince!
Old 07-24-2006   #9
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
Doesn't matter, he can't catch Vince!
Holding that clipboard will slow Vince Down a little.
Old 07-24-2006   #10
NoBullTexan
Veteran

Ha! Ha! Come on Tack, say something else cute!
Old 07-24-2006   #11
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 44 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Vince Young will use his magical powers on the sidelines and bestow them upon Billy Volek and them BAM billy volek comes God. Then breaks his leg in the first game, Vince takes over, takes back his godness and leads the Titans to a 15-1 season.
Old 07-24-2006   #12
AFD1717
Veteran

Quote:
Vince Young will use his magical powers on the sidelines and bestow them upon Billy Volek and them BAM billy volek comes God. Then breaks his leg in the first game, Vince takes over, takes back his godness and leads the Titans to a 15-1 season.
If Vince is God, then he should be able to help out the Longhorns' new QBs on Saturday before he goes to work on Sunday.
Old 07-24-2006   #13
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:

Hoping your starting QB will break his leg?? What's up with that???
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #14
dat_boy_yec
All Pro

Quote:
Wait... so Volek will have Vince's god-like powers and still get his leg broken. Ummm... those god-like powers must suck. Can't even keep him from breaking a leg.
Old 07-24-2006   #15
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

When VY farts, the entire world goes....eeewwwwww, gag.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #16
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan
Hoping your starting QB will break his leg?? What's up with that???

Even I havent gone that far......yet.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006   #17
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

I wasn't wishing it upon im just saying Volek gets hurt every time someone lays a finger on him
Old 07-25-2006   #18
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
I wasn't wishing it upon im just saying Volek gets hurt every time someone lays a finger on him

Hmmm, we better keep Mario out then when we play you guys if Volek is starting, hate to see our #1 pick get charged with manslaughter!!!
Old 07-25-2006   #19
South Texan
Veteran

Default Back to the original idea of the thread...

I wonder if Mario can pick up the finer points of working both sides of the line, so that they can move him around to cause major mismatches depending on who we are playing.

And that idea of using him as a FB in short yardage sits is interesting. Wouldn't it be cool if he punched it over the goal line a few times while Reggie was sitting out this year, and we could say our #1 pick outscored Reggie?
Old 07-25-2006   #20
real

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Texan
I wonder if Mario can pick up the finer points of working both sides of the line, so that they can move him around to cause major mismatches depending on who we are playing.

And that idea of using him as a FB in short yardage sits is interesting. Wouldn't it be cool if he punched it over the goal line a few times while Reggie was sitting out this year, and we could say our #1 pick outscored Reggie?
That would be Ironic....I think....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read