Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2006   #1
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Opening day, Houston has never beaten Philly

The Houston Oilers, never beat the Eagles. I attended 3 of those games. My first ever Oilers game was watching them play the Eagles in 1980 at the Dome. The Eagles won, while the game mattered little since both teams had already clinched playoff berths. The Eagles went to the Super Bowl that season and the Oilers lost in the playoffs to the Raiders, the team that beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

The other 2 games I attended were at the Vet. The first one was in 88 during the Glanville era. Commander Cody started due to Moon being injured. I remember the Oilers took an early big lead in that game, however blew it in typical Oiler fashion as Randall Cunningham brought the Eagles back. The second was a Monday Night Football game at the Vet during that disastrous 2-14 season in 94. I think we were up to Billy Joe Tolliver that week. Pardee was fired soon after that game. The Eagles won that one too though I forget the score.

Of course every Oilers fan remembers the MNF game in '91 at the Dome when the Eagles defense put on one of the best defensive shows in NFL history. The Eagles were starting their 3rd string QB and I thought the Oilers would kill them, however the opposite happened almost literally. Andre Waters KO of Ernest Givens summed that game up. I remember his facemask being broken as was his nose. To Givens credit though he continued to play with a broken nose. The Eagles won that game 13-6 as the run and shoot was pounded and grounded. I will never forget that game because I watched it at a Bill Bergey (former Eagle LB) owned sports bar outside of Philly. I took a pounding too by rabid Eagle fans as I sported by Moon jersey, though I did get to sing the Oilers fighting song live on a Philly radio station before the game started.

The Texans played the Eagles in Philly in their first season and played well. However it wasn't enough for them to win. So Houston NFL football teams are 0'fer vs. the Eagles. Will that continue this season. Chances are yes. However one common trend will end that week. There will be a player or number of players used to losing at Reliant that will walk away with a victory (barring a tie) that day. As a Texans fan I hope it is a number of players wearing blue helmets. However, it could be Jabar Gafney who plays his first game as an Eagle in familiar surroundings.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #2
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns
Of course every Oilers fan remembers the MNF game in '91 at the Dome when the Eagles defense put on one of the best defensive shows in NFL history. .
If I recall correctly, that was the game where Felecia Moon had a really bad time in the stands - or at least that's when it peaked. I also recall a bunch of turnovers and bigtime frustration for the rest of us.

Last edited by aj.; 07-23-2006 at 08:57 PM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
If I recall correctly, that was the game where Felecia Moon had a really bad time in the stands - or at least that's when it peaked. I also recall a bunch of turnovers and bigtime frustration for the rest of us.

I thought that it was in a KC playoff game. Someone pretended to wipe their butt with something and threw it at her.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #4
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
The Houston Oilers, never beat the Eagles. I attended 3 of those games. My first ever Oilers game was watching them play the Eagles in 1980 at the Dome. The Eagles won, while the game mattered little since both teams had already clinched playoff berths. The Eagles went to the Super Bowl that season and the Oilers lost in the playoffs to the Raiders, the team that beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl.

The other 2 games I attended were at the Vet. The first one was in 88 during the Glanville era. Commander Cody started due to Moon being injured. I remember the Oilers took an early big lead in that game, however blew it in typical Oiler fashion as Randall Cunningham brought the Eagles back. The second was a Monday Night Football game at the Vet during that disastrous 2-14 season in 94. I think we were up to Billy Joe Tolliver that week. Pardee was fired soon after that game. The Eagles won that one too though I forget the score.

Of course every Oilers fan remembers the MNF game in '91 at the Dome when the Eagles defense put on one of the best defensive shows in NFL history. The Eagles were starting their 3rd string QB and I thought the Oilers would kill them, however the opposite happened almost literally. Andre Waters KO of Ernest Givens summed that game up. I remember his facemask being broken as was his nose. To Givens credit though he continued to play with a broken nose. The Eagles won that game 13-6 as the run and shoot was pounded and grounded. I will never forget that game because I watched it at a Bill Bergey (former Eagle LB) owned sports bar outside of Philly. I took a pounding too by rabid Eagle fans as I sported by Moon jersey, though I did get to sing the Oilers fighting song live on a Philly radio station before the game started.

The Texans played the Eagles in Philly in their first season and played well. However it wasn't enough for them to win. So Houston NFL football teams are 0'fer vs. the Eagles. Will that continue this season. Chances are yes. However one common trend will end that week. There will be a player or number of players used to losing at Reliant that will walk away with a victory (barring a tie) that day. As a Texans fan I hope it is a number of players wearing blue helmets. However, it could be Jabar Gafney who plays his first game as an Eagle in familiar surroundings.
When I look at the top of this web page, I see "HOUSTONTEXANS.COM." I am unsure why some of you old school Oilers fans, feel you need to relive those days on the Texans board!!!!

Didn't all of you suffer enough!!!! I bet your old "buddy" Bud, visits this web site on a daily basis and just gets his jollies on you guys and gals that fondly remember those gut wrenching days!

I lived in Houston for the exit of the Oilers and the birth of the Texans and was NEVER an oiler fan, but "feel in love" with the Texans. (I preferred the Cowboys to the Oilers but dumped them for the Texans)

We must make sure we have a clean break from those days...we do not need any Oiler carma carring over to the Texans...none...zero...zip!!!!!!!!!!

Do us all (well at least me) a favor and put your Columbia Blue hankies back in the drawer and only bring them out to wipe your eyes when ESPN Classic reruns the '92 debacle in Buffalo.
CajunTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
I thought that it was in a KC playoff game. Someone pretended to wipe their butt with something and threw it at her.

I'm sure it happened more than once but there's something about that game - Monday Night and all - that makes me remember that....

p.s. Cajun. Some of us have been HOUSTON NFL fans forever and this is the current HOUSTON NFL franchise's message board. The reason why a lot of us are here is because of our passion for the NFL and HOUSTON's pro football teams. My HOUSTON NFL memories don't belong on a Nashville message board. Have a little respect for the roots of pro football in this city and those who have loyally followed our teams through thick and thin since the beginning of time. To say "we" need a clean break from Bum, Earl and the rest of our city's NFL history is just plain ignorant.

Last edited by aj.; 07-23-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-23-2006   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 87068 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Not sure about the Felicia Moon thing since I was living in the Philly area at that time, but you are right about the turnovers. To the Eagles credit, most all of them were caused by their game plan.

The week after the game, some Eagles players on their sports station (also 610) talked about how Bud Carson (then Eagles D Coordinator, now deceased) game planned for the Run and Shoot. He felt that the Run and Shoot Oilers were so successful because teams were too busy trying to prevent completed passes which was next to impossible if Moon and his receivers were in sync. So his plan was to allow the Oiler receivers to catch the ball and just go for well timed hits. Since the Eagles had some KO guys in the secondary he felt he could wear down the receivers to where they would either start dropping balls out of fear or fumble after the reception due to the timing of the hits. His plan worked to perfection. Those guys were bragging about that game for weeks. I remember the late Jerome Brown leaving the field saying in reference to the House of Pain ... "They provided the house, we provided the pain".
Old 07-23-2006   #7
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I'm sure it happened more than once but there's something about that game - Monday Night and all - that makes me remember that....

p.s. Cajun. Some of us have been HOUSTON NFL fans forever and this is the current HOUSTON NFL franchise's message board. The reason why a lot of us are here is because of our passion for the NFL and HOUSTON's pro football teams. My HOUSTON NFL memories don't belong on a Nashville message board. Have a little respect for the roots of pro football in this city and those who have loyally followed our teams through thick and thin since the beginning of time. To say "we" need a clean break from Bum, Earl and the rest of our city's NFL history is just plain ignorant.
aj...I have much respect for your roots...and your insights specifically in regards to the access you have to the Texans...

just hate to see that oiler carma associated with the Texans...I know there were many great oiler moments for local fans, but there is a national stigma associated with that franchise IMO...
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2006   #8
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunTexan
I lived in Houston for the exit of the Oilers and the birth of the Texans and was NEVER an oiler fan,
That's why you don't understand. They are OUR memories as Houston fans. Oiler history is our history as fans also. Should we just forget that we passionately watched football for all those years? I would believe most Texans fans were Oilers fans too.

Should Cleveland Browns fans forget their history also? The only difference between the Browns and Texans is the NFL let them keep their old name and history, however the new Browns is a completely new organization just like the Texans and that is only a technicality on paper.
Old 07-23-2006   #9
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
That's why you don't understand. They are OUR memories as Houston fans. Oiler history is our history as fans also. Should we just forget that we passionately watched football for all those years? I would believe most Texans fans were Oilers fans too.

Should Cleveland Browns fans forget their history also? The only difference between the Browns and Texans is the NFL let them keep their old name and history, however the new Browns is a completely new organization just like the Texans and that is only a technicality on paper.
Understood "Horns"...my perspective is from a desire to keep the two era's seperate...I am sure had I been born and raised a Houstonian, I would see it a little differently.
Old 07-23-2006   #10
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Quote:
Understood "Horns"...my perspective is from a desire to keep the two era's seperate...I am sure had I been born and raised a Houstonian, I would see it a little differently.
You probably would. However, I am with you on keeping the eras seperate. You will notice that I often convienently cast off Oiler history when necessary, for example telling Titans fans that it is their organization that holds the record for largest blown lead in playoff history, not ours.

However, while that is true, it is part of our history too as fans.
Old 07-23-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
just hate to see that oiler carma associated with the Texans...I know there were many great oiler moments for local fans, but there is a national stigma associated with that franchise IMO...
I hate to tell ya this, but there's a national stigma associated with the Texans too.

The Oilers played 31 postseason games in their 36 year history here. The Texans have yet to field a .500 team in their brief existence.

The Oilers are part of Houston's NFL (and AFL) history, just like the Texans.
Old 07-23-2006   #12
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
I hate to tell ya this, but there's a national stigma associated with the Texans too.

The Oilers played 31 postseason games in their 36 year history here. The Texans have yet to field a .500 team in their brief existence.

The Oilers are part of Houston's NFL (and AFL) history, just like the Texans.
Spoken like a true Oiler homer...come on aj...you can not honestly equate the Oiler stigma to that of the Texans, could you???

When you say "Houston Oilers" anywhere outside of Harris, Fort Bend, Montgemary et.al counties, the first and probably only thing that come to mind is the '92 debacle in Buffalo...when you mention "Houston Texans" they say "thats the expansion team whose QB has been sacked a "bijillion" times that passed on Reggie isn't it"...I much prefer the later 'cause something can still be done about it...nothing, nothing, not one thing can ever be done to undo Buffalo.....
Old 07-23-2006   #13
aj.
Hall of Fame

Homer? I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Frankly I don't care about what other people think about my teams, whether they are re-living Buffalo for the nth time or blasting Carr for setting sack records. And I sure as hell don't let that influence who I root for.....but it sounds like you are 'bothered' by negative perception...hmmmm.....that doesn't sound like someone who is secure in their fandom does it Dr. Phil? - especially when taken with the Cowboys disclosure.... What happens to you if the Texans go four more years sub-.500 and Reggie Bush rushes for 2000 every year and Mario really is Sam Bowie, while the 'boys somehow return to the promised land?

.. btw that was a nice 'national stigma parallel' you drew up for our teams past and present. Congrats.

All I know is that even with the meltdowns, those ten or so playoff years with the Oilers since and including LYB were far more satisfying than anything I've seen on the field in four years with the Texans, with the exception of Opening Night. Maybe in twenty years or so, we'll have our own Texans playoff meltdowns to reminisce. Maybe we can even get to a couple of conference championships. In the mean time, I will keep buying my season tix, god willin.

Feel free to think whatever. I really don't care to pursue this debate btw.

Last edited by aj.; 07-23-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 07-23-2006   #14
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
When I look at the top of this web page, I see "HOUSTONTEXANS.COM." I am unsure why some of you old school Oilers fans, feel you need to relive those days on the Texans board!!!!

Didn't all of you suffer enough!!!! I bet your old "buddy" Bud, visits this web site on a daily basis and just gets his jollies on you guys and gals that fondly remember those gut wrenching days!

I lived in Houston for the exit of the Oilers and the birth of the Texans and was NEVER an oiler fan, but "feel in love" with the Texans. (I preferred the Cowboys to the Oilers but dumped them for the Texans)

We must make sure we have a clean break from those days...we do not need any Oiler carma carring over to the Texans...none...zero...zip!!!!!!!!!!

Do us all (well at least me) a favor and put your Columbia Blue hankies back in the drawer and only bring them out to wipe your eyes when ESPN Classic reruns the '92 debacle in Buffalo.

Yeah well grasshopper, I invested forty years in those Oiler teams. I was never a traitor though. I never rooted for the cow polks. Do me a favor and go to where you belong...Kissing Jimmy and TO's Assets.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #15
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 55882 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

its fun to imagine beating the storied Eagles here in Houston

It should be a defensive battle with our secondary missing key plays against the master in McNabb, but wait does he wear down in the 4th qt. with a relentless pass rush from & co? while the once conservative Texans running and short passing game suddenly spreads its wings and airs things out making a dramatic come from behind win

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #16
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Homer? I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Frankly I don't care about what other people think about my teams, whether they are re-living Buffalo for the nth time or blasting Carr for setting sack records. And I sure as hell don't let that influence who I root for.....but it sounds like you are 'bothered' by negative perception...hmmmm.....that doesn't sound like someone who is secure in their fandom does it Dr. Phil? - especially when taken with the Cowboys disclosure.... What happens to you if the Texans go four more years sub-.500 and Reggie Bush rushes for 2000 every year and Mario really is Sam Bowie, while the 'boys somehow return to the promised land?

.. btw that was a nice 'national stigma parallel' you drew up for our teams past and present. Congrats.

All I know is that even with the meltdowns, those ten or so playoff years with the Oilers since and including LYB were far more satisfying than anything I've seen on the field in four years with the Texans, with the exception of Opening Night. Maybe in twenty years or so, we'll have our own Texans playoff meltdowns to reminisce. Maybe we can even get to a couple of conference championships. In the mean time, I will keep buying my season tix, god willin.

Feel free to think whatever. I really don't care to pursue this debate btw.
No need to debate, and very poor attempt to discredit my "fandom." I was not trying to discredit yours.

Actually, the first professional football game I ever attended was in 1970, Oilers vs. 49ers in the dome. Just never panned out as a huge oiler fan and do not want the Texans to turn out the same.
Old 07-24-2006   #17
CajunTexan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
Yeah well grasshopper, I invested forty years in those Oiler teams. I was never a traitor though. I never rooted for the cow polks. Do me a favor and go to where you belong...Kissing Jimmy and TO's Assets.
Don't get your Columbia Blue panties in a wad.... rooting for the Cowboys when there was no vialble alternative in Houston does not make me a traitor...and I am were I belong...a CajunTexan fan.....
Old 07-24-2006   #18
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

While I used to be an Oiler fan (born into it), I understand CajunTexan's perspective of keeping the baby blue karma away from our dear Texans. We've got enough going against us without bringing the 35-3 debacle up.

I'm not knocking Houston's 'glorious' football legacy, but I don't live in the past. The Oilers are gone, dead, history. Their records are now the records of a Tennessee franchise that bears no resemblence to the team I used to love. Sure, I remember the good times....but the fact remains that the way it ended is full of bitterness and heartbreak.

But yeah, the Houston Texans have never beaten the Eagles on opening day. That's a fact, Jack!
Old 07-24-2006   #19
aj.
Hall of Fame

Quote:
... very poor attempt to discredit my "fandom." I was not trying to discredit yours.
Just a reminder that you posted the following before I went there:

Quote:
I bet your old "buddy" Bud, visits this web site on a daily basis and just gets his jollies on you guys and gals.
Quote:
Do us all (well at least me) a favor and put your Columbia Blue hankies back in the drawer ....
Quote:
Spoken like a true Oiler homer....
So you want long time Houston NFL/AFL fans to 'stifle' when we want to discuss Houston pro football history on Houston's official NFL message board? Yes, I do realize our current team is the Texans, so what do you suggest, that we go to the Titans board and reminisce about Earl, Bum, Moon, et al. with a bunch of people from Murfreesboro?

I'm guessing the Oilers will continue to come up here until the last generation of home-bred Oilers fans is six feet under. When would they have been born, in the late 1980's I guess? So, you probably have about 50 more years to deal with it.

Actually, you don't have to deal with any of this - just tell everyone you were a Cowboys fan back then and you'll be able to maintain your purity that you're so concerned about without getting any Oilers scent on you.

As far as "karma," I'm not superstitious nor do I think we are voodoo west so if you believe that the mere mention of the Oilers in this space somehow jinxes the Texans, well..... I really don't get that but to each their own.

It's pretty obvious the Texans are their own team and own organization with a great owner and a ton of potential. The two orgs are like apples and oranges but they share the honor of having played in front of many of us.

And the Texans are 0-1 against Philly.

Last edited by aj.; 07-24-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-24-2006   #20
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

yep, and until the Texans put up a winning record, those memories are all we have of a winning football team in Houston. (man, reading about Warren Moon and the run and shoot brings back some great memories. Those were exciting times and I didn't quite realize how special it was until it was gone.)

I can't wait until winning times again!!!!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read