Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Fisrt Game of the Season?!
Yeah 49 84.48%
Nah 9 15.52%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-23-2006   #1
johnny_tlmn

Post First Game of the Season

Sorry if there has already been a thread about this. But i just had a good and long arguement about our first game with someone at another forum. This guy thinks it's no-brainer that we have absolutley no chance vs. the eagles. But i differ. The eagles still have that great defense and their genius defensive coordinator ( even though I can't stand them). But our offense also got alot better with our off-season additions. And our defense has also greatly improved and should have a great chance vs. an eagles offense that is not like it was 2 years ago.

They really don't have a legit #1 WR. And don't forget, they don't like running alot. So mario williams should have plenty of chances to get to mcnabb. What is everyone's take on this game? I think we have just as good of a chance as the eagles do at winning this game. And remember, we are at home. Am i expecting too much of our Texans? Nah they can take 'em I'm just wonderin' about INdy w/o Edge there's a great possibilty.
Old 07-23-2006   #2
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes. I think we will win this game. They are pretty much one dimensional to begin with, so if we can shut down the pass it will be on and poppin'.

We will win and we will suprise alot of people.
Old 07-23-2006   #3
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we have a chance to beat them, but I don't think we will. It will be the first game that counts under Kubiak and I believe many of the players will still be getting used to the new system. I think we'll make it close, but I think the Eagles will win it.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #4
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
Yes. I think we will win this game. They are pretty much one dimensional to begin with, so if we can shut down the pass it will be on and poppin'.

We will win and we will suprise alot of people.
I'm with you on this one. Go Texans!!!
Old 07-23-2006   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

The Eagles are not very good this year, I am going with a win.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #6
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

of course I hope we win. the advantage we have is there is no game film for the eagles to study except for preseason stuff, which is vanilla.. advantage to us.. Yes the Eagles can study the Broncos, but I expect our offense to a tweak to it. Defensively same thing

to put a spin on it.. I wonder how quick our guys are going to pick up the schemes
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #7
staind755
Rookie

I think we will have a good chance to win. I think the Texans will know the system fairly well considering in preseason every player will be fighting for a starting job. I think there is more of an incentive to learn it, and learn it well. Like one post said, we will not have as much film for other teams to study. As with the Eagles, not too much has changed this offseason with there coaches and players so we should have a lot of film to study. Also, considering we will have 10 days after the last preseason game and our first, we should have plenty of time to study film. Most important thing, Any team can win on any given Sunday. Go Texans... Score, 17-13 Texans.
staind755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2006   #8
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

The Eagles defense has fallen apart sort of after the last couple years compared to what it used to be, they've got no clear #1 WR, and last year the running game was completely inaffective. I say this is a great team for us to play in our first game of the season to get the guys pumped for the rest of the year
Old 07-23-2006   #9
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Good thing about this game is that PHI has no WRs and are now concentrating on the run game. So both teams will be trying to do a new thing. Us with our new D, them with the run game. Pretty much going to come down to the battle of O and D lines. I can win this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #10
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

The Eagles are my 2nd favorite team so I've watched them a LOT over the past 5-6 years. Although I'll be cheering for the Texans, I think the Eagles are going to win this one. I don't think everything will be gelling for the Texans, yet.

The thing about the Eagles is that they NEVER look good on paper (except when TO was really on the team on the same page.) They haven't had a #1 receiver except when TO was there. They've never really had a strong running game. But Reid has always found a way to win. I think the Eagles' chemistry gets them through this one... although I think they're toast for most of the rest of the season. They're in a hard (although possibly over-rated) division.

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #11
Stampede
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 Stampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballotStampede is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Texans! 24-17
Stampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #12
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

I think we definitely have a good chance of winning, and as of now I predict we will win but we have a lot of training camp and preseason to see before I make my final guess.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #13
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't voted yet. What I will be watching, very closely, if Philly decides... a team that wouldn't or couldn't rush the ball last year, to cram the ball down
our throuts. That will be the big clue. We can't stop Philly from rushing, specifically, rushing at Babin/Peak, and our line backers ,we're in trouble. We can't stop them the first six games are gonna hurt.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #14
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

Any given sunday right? Yes for now....ask me again when the depth chart comes out.

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
I haven't voted yet. What I will be watching, very closely, if Philly decides... a team that wouldn't or couldn't rush the ball last year, to cram the ball down
our throuts. That will be the big clue. We can't stop Philly from rushing, specifically, rushing at Babin/Peak, and our line backers ,we're in trouble. We can't stop them the first six games are gonna hurt.
Running the ball is so alien to the Philly short-pass West Coast concept, I'd be very surprised if they really tried to test our rushing D. I think this is going to be a good test for our D-line to see if they can provide any pressure.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #16
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
Running the ball is so alien to the Philly short-pass West Coast concept, I'd be very surprised if they really tried to test our rushing D. I think this is going to be a good test for our D-line to see if they can provide any pressure.
Baptism of fire for our #1 pick. Get to McNabb just once and we might be able to shut up all negitive media for a while. Cant wait to see on the huge screen at Reliant, big 90 knocking the eagle logo from McNabb's helmet. Sept. 10 cant come fast enough.

<--#5
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #17
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans win by 20

Be bewy bewy quiet , Im hunting eagles

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #18
ocd
Rookie

If we are totally prepared and have absorbed the systems of the new 4-3 defense AND the offense has memorized the playbook of the zone blocking scheme AND Carr understands the playbook...we win.

Ain't gonna happen people. Our offense is not gonna click until October timeframe...:brickwall
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #19
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Were gunna come out with a W if we understand the playbook. Hopefully Mario will get his first sack in this game. Im thinking Carr will have a great game to start off a good season.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #20
ocd
Rookie

The problem we're up against is the complexity of the playbook itself. It took Plummer a good year to grasp it...they were initially only using about 25% of it.

Carr has to get used to the bootleg, which I think he'll go to like a duck to water, and all the other players have to understand their assignments...especially the linemen...especially the receivers.

I've watched Plummer throw many intercepetions based on miscommunication of where the receiver was and where he thoght they were gonna be and vice versa. So expect to see some of that for awhile.

And for clarification, I'm pro Carr. I just can't imagine any other QB getting sacked much less than he has over the last 4 years. That line was absolutely horrible. And then he managed to stay overall injury free and maintain a positive view.

Last edited by ocd; 07-24-2006 at 03:38 AM.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read