Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-23-2006   #1
Superstar
Rookie

Cool No word yet on Winston?

I hope they sign him soon. I know his agent is equivelant to Scott Boras in MLB, but Mcnair can out smart that man. Scott Boras is such a .
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #2
texanfan2100
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar
I hope they sign him soon. I know his agent is equivelant to Scott Boras in MLB, but Mcnair can out smart that man. Scott Boras is such a .

From what I can tell, there can't be much to negotiate. All other picks are signed, so Winston gets whatever is left in the rookie pool. I would hope he'd see that he has a legitimate chance to be the starter at RT at some point this season, and that would motivate him to get into camp on time.
texanfan2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #3
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2100
From what I can tell, there can't be much to negotiate. All other picks are signed, so Winston gets whatever is left in the rookie pool. I would hope he'd see that he has a legitimate chance to be the starter at RT at some point this season, and that would motivate him to get into camp on time.
And/or get slightly less then Spencer whom was selected in the slot before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #4
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCROD
And/or get slightly less then Spencer whom was selected in the slot before.

am betting is agent busy with his BIG NAME clients and knowing Winston will get less than Spencer (lower cut in percentage) is not motivating him to get a deal done OR idiot thinks he can do a holdout and Texans will pay through nose. NEXT QUESTION..................ROFLMAO
Old 07-23-2006   #5
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
am betting is agent busy with his BIG NAME clients and knowing Winston will get less than Spencer (lower cut in percentage) is not motivating him to get a deal done OR idiot thinks he can do a holdout and Texans will pay through nose. NEXT QUESTION..................ROFLMAO
That is probably what's going on, or Rick Smith or someone else who would be involved in contract preparation from the Texans FO is taking advantage
of getting in a vacation right becfore TC.
This is a slam dunk: we not only just completed the contract with the guy drafted imediately before Winston, he plays exactly the same position as Winston does. It couldn't get much more cut and dried than that as far as Winstons deal goes.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #6
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd pay him exactly what I paid Spencer. This is a situation (one after the other) where the picks are interchangeable. I'd give him what we gave Spencer and call it a day.
Old 07-23-2006   #7
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
I'd pay him exactly what I paid Spencer. This is a situation (one after the other) where the picks are interchangeable. I'd give him what we gave Spencer and call it a day.
I tend to agree with you, in that when I've heard the question asked why was one taken before the other, I have never really heard or read anything clarifying or justifying the order.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-23-2006   #8
Dunta_23
All Pro

I wonder if it was more of a contractual thing in taking Spencer before Winston knowing that Winston was the higher profile of the two prior to the draft...this way Spencer may be happier with a bit less whereas if Winston was taken first he would drive his price up resulting in Spencers price going up...anyone follow?
Dunta_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
I've heard the question asked why was one taken before the other, I have never really heard or read anything clarifying or justifying the order.
I don't think it was some kind of random thing at all, because I'd be surprised
if they didn't truely value Spencer more than Winston, if only marginally.
And I'd be very surprised if their contracts were equal because it would be an inequity for Spencer. IMO, one reason they took Spencer first was that they wanted him secured in the event they got a chance to trade their other pick in the third round which would probably mean they'd miss Winston.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #10
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel

Your right. I agree here. I am sure he will be signed for the start of camp.
Old 07-23-2006   #11
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 116440 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunta_23
I wonder if it was more of a contractual thing in taking Spencer before Winston knowing that Winston was the higher profile of the two prior to the draft...this way Spencer may be happier with a bit less whereas if Winston was taken first he would drive his price up resulting in Spencers price going up...anyone follow?
I'm tracking and a very good point. I'm against giving him the same amount. Be it a dollar less, it has to be less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #12
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
he plays exactly the same position as Winston does. It couldn't get much more cut and dried than that as far as Winstons deal goes.
I think that is the whole break down on the contract talks, they don't play the same position. LTs get paid a whole lot more than RTs.
Old 07-23-2006   #13
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

On Fox 26 tonight, they reported that from league sources that Winston will not be a hold out and will be into camp on time.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #14
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
On Fox 26 tonight, they reported that from league sources that Winston will not be a hold out and will be into camp on time.

Well, this excites me. I still see Winston being our future LT and Spencer our RT or RG. I just can't see Spencer at LT, regardless of how hard I try.
Old 07-24-2006   #15
cj5776
Veteran

Rep Power: 70 cj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respectedcj5776 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
Well, this excites me. I still see Winston being our future LT and Spencer our RT or RG. I just can't see Spencer at LT, regardless of how hard I try.
I used to share that opinion, because Spencer is much more of a power guy and very raw so the responsibility of protecting the qb blind side seems like way too much to ask of him. However the more I read about the zone blocking scheme, Winston and his aibilty to move athelically laterally seems like a better fit on the right side. Power blockers, like Spencer are not normally on the left but Winston does not seem to have enough power to handle the top notch pass rushers that come from that side.
Old 07-24-2006   #16
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
I used to share that opinion, because Spencer is much more of a power guy and very raw so the responsibility of protecting the qb blind side seems like way too much to ask of him. However the more I read about the zone blocking scheme, Winston and his aibilty to move athelically laterally seems like a better fit on the right side. Power blockers, like Spencer are not normally on the left but Winston does not seem to have enough power to handle the top notch pass rushers that come from that side.
Maybe I read it wrong, but you have it backwards. The finese guy who has quick feet and top technique plays LT. The bigger, less agile, more of a mauling run blocking type tend to play RT. Spence is HUGE. I like the guy, and I know he is quick for his size, but I still cannot see Spencer ever being able to hold down the LT job with Freeny rushing against him every year. Winston is very quick, has a good strong hand punch, and is a top talent technique wise. He isn't small either, he is 310lbs, but Spencer still has like 50lbs on him, and that is just insane. The ability to move laterally is needed by all of our linemen, especially our guards, but that does not designate Winston for RT IMO.
Old 07-24-2006   #17
swtbound07
Jackass of Day!

Rep Power: 904 swtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respectedswtbound07 is a quality contributor and well respected

I still have flashbacks to the FSU-MIAMI game watching winston get mauled....as much as i try, i cant get overly excited about this guy on our line

Sig by Michaelm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Maher
"I'll show you Obama's birth certificate when you show me Sarah Palin's high school diploma"
swtbound07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #18
ocd
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan

And you will be proved correct this season barring injuries. I have said the same thing since draft day and just about everyone disagrees with me, which is fine.
ocd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006   #19
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5776
I think that is the whole break down on the contract talks, they don't play the same position. LTs get paid a whole lot more than RTs.
I would think they'd have to be proven commodities in order to differentiate between LT and RT pay scales.
Old 07-24-2006   #20
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

The pay scale for Winston and Spencer will not be that far off. He is will get a little less than Spencer, and report to TC on time.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read