Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-22-2006   #1
tamu texan
noob

Default REGGIE!!! REGgie! REggie. Reggie. reggie. reg...

Allow me to preface this by saying that I am a huge Reggie Bush fan as a football player. My screams and expletives could be heard far and wide when I found out that we would not be selecting him with the first pick in the draft. That said, I have bought into the idea and now firmly believe that Mario will have a HUGE impact on our team. Knowing that he is signed and ready to go (toenails all healed I hope) will allow the Texans to focus on the monumental task ahead of them without the media distractions of signing their first pick. Which brings me back to Reggie Bush and the Saints. The following report says it all...

Saints | Bush contemplating not signing?
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:33:34 -0700

Jason Cole, of Yahoo Sports, reports there has been some talk of New Orleans Saints rookie RB Reggie Bush not signing in time for training camp. Now, a league source said Bush is toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season and going back in the NFL Draft in 2007 if he doesn't get his price. "No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source said. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there." Two sources said that talks between the Saints and agent Joel Segal have been nearly non-existent. Wednesday, July 19, Mike Ornstein, who is Bush's marketing agent, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss., that he didn't think Bush would be signed in time for camp. Ornstein is not allowed to negotiate contracts, but he is acutely aware of all of Bush's business matters. Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. Bush could probably sit out 2006 and still be a high pick next year.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Just imagine if the Texans were in the Saints position right now. I know many have chosen, like me, to put the Reggie issue behind them and have moved on, but I think we can all feel a little better about the move given the above developments.

mario. mariO. maRIO! MARIO! MARIO!!!
tamu texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #2
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I am glad we have mario.
Old 07-22-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will sign with the Saints before the season starts. yet if true, my perception of Bush has changed... In front of the camera, he seems like a humble guy (of course I haven't really followed everything that has gone with him).

if true and the Saints can't sign him.. I guess they could trade the rights to him to a team?

and if true that Bush goes back into the draft and as much as I hate the Sooners as a team, I would hope Adrian Peterson has a monster year (while the team loses) and if he declaired becomes the 1st RB taken in the draft and Bush would lose more money
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67005 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought you couldnt go back to the NCAA after signing an agent. Theres no way hes thinking about sitting out of football for a year. He already got picked 2nd. He wouldnt get picked #1 next year if he sits out a year.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #5
Bobo
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamu texan
Allow me to preface this by saying that I am a huge Reggie Bush fan as a football player. My screams and expletives could be heard far and wide when I found out that we would not be selecting him with the first pick in the draft. That said, I have bought into the idea and now firmly believe that Mario will have a HUGE impact on our team. Knowing that he is signed and ready to go (toenails all healed I hope) will allow the Texans to focus on the monumental task ahead of them without the media distractions of signing their first pick. Which brings me back to Reggie Bush and the Saints. The following report says it all...

Saints | Bush contemplating not signing?
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 21:33:34 -0700

Jason Cole, of Yahoo Sports, reports there has been some talk of New Orleans Saints rookie RB Reggie Bush not signing in time for training camp. Now, a league source said Bush is toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season and going back in the NFL Draft in 2007 if he doesn't get his price. "No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source said. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there." Two sources said that talks between the Saints and agent Joel Segal have been nearly non-existent. Wednesday, July 19, Mike Ornstein, who is Bush's marketing agent, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss., that he didn't think Bush would be signed in time for camp. Ornstein is not allowed to negotiate contracts, but he is acutely aware of all of Bush's business matters. Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. Bush could probably sit out 2006 and still be a high pick next year.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Just imagine if the Texans were in the Saints position right now. I know many have chosen, like me, to put the Reggie issue behind them and have moved on, but I think we can all feel a little better about the move given the above developments.

mario. mariO. maRIO! MARIO! MARIO!!!
If Bush sits out the year, his value will plummet. I think he knows that and will eventually sign. He'd be lucky to be a second-rounder.
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #6
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole
I thought you couldnt go back to the NCAA after signing an agent. Theres no way hes thinking about sitting out of football for a year. He already got picked 2nd. He wouldnt get picked #1 next year if he sits out a year.
Correct, his NCAA days are over, but he could hold out the whole year and sit out of football (like Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett did) and go back into the draft next year, and you are also right that he wouldn't be picked #1 after sitting out a year. He would be absolutely foolish to turn down playing football this year, that will also cost him a lot of money in possible endorsements if he's not on the field, and will cost a pretty big hit to his public image.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #7
carter08
truth.

Rep Power: 70 carter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respectedcarter08 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to carter08

He can go play in the CFL like ricky
carter08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-22-2006   #8
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what would be very amusing? If he did sit out the season and re-enter the draft in 2007. Then, based on a year of rust and teams having a whole new draft class to pick from he falls a bit in the draft and the Texans still end up getting Reggie Bush.

That would be some funny stuff IMO.

Seriously though he's not going to do this. He's going to hold out for as much money as he can get and then he's going to sign and have a less than stellar rookie season because he missed a bunch of training camp.

The other thing that's silly is the idea that nobody has "ever" had as much leverage as Reggie Bush. That's just plain wrong. John Elway had far more leverage than Bush since he could just go play baseball if he'd wanted.
Old 07-22-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter08
He can go play in the CFL like ricky
That $60K he would make in the CFL would be about as funny as Latrell Sprewell tuning down $21M over three years and then sitting out the season because nobody would offer him more than couple million or so. Funny joke.
Old 07-22-2006   #10
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
That $60K he would make in the CFL would be about as funny as Latrell Sprewell tuning down $21M over three years and then sitting out the season because nobody would offer him more than couple million or so. Funny joke.
Latrell had a "family to feed." Bush doesn't. Big difference.

Old 07-22-2006   #11
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think he will wind up signing (late but in camp) and that this is posturing by his negotiation staff. However, it does give a clearer picture of who and what he is all about. Says one thing on camera and does the total oposite off camera. If he sets out a year, he will be lucky to be drafted in the top 5 as he will be old news and to have been proven to be a yutz.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #12
TexansLucky13
53d Signal Batt

Rep Power: 4279 TexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansLucky13 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's funny that the top three people to avoid on Fantasy Football so far have been Ricky Williams, Ben Roethlisberger and Reggie Bush.
Old 07-22-2006   #13
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 123395 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Well my perception of him would not change if he sat out all year and entered next years draft. This is a business and is going to be his livelihood. Lets say you had $5M in you pocket, would you go to work for a bottom of the barrel organization or sit on your $5M for a year and wait for a better offer?

No he doesnt have a family to feed, but he has rent/mortgage to pay. LoL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #14
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

I've always felt that Bush was waaaay over rated. I like Whites running abilities much better than I even liked Bush's' abilities. Even so I hope the Saints drop him altogether. I Don't feel that ANY player from ANY schoolis worth that kind of scratch.
Old 07-22-2006   #15
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bush must be messed up in the head. He has no leverage in this, the Saint's already have two backs who are capable of starting and 2 or 3 good WR's, it's not like it would devastate the Saint's even if he did sit out the season, which he probably won't anyway.
Old 07-22-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue
Does this mean we'll have a shot at him next year?
Just a joke guys!
I know. That would be too amazing to get Reggie and Mario. That only happens in dreams.
Old 07-22-2006   #17
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

I would think if he becomes unsignable, the saints would trade him off. But this is what the Texans said about him, that he was unsignable and so we got Mario.

My best guess is that the Carolina Panthers are the ones that will get the last laugh when they got De'Angelo Williams out of Memphis. He will be a stud runner in the NFL if my guess is correct...
Old 07-22-2006   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=TexanFan881]I know. That would be too amazing to get Reggie and Mario. That only happens in dreams.[/QUOTE]

Mario in a dream...........Bush in a nightmare.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #19
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeBred_Texan
My best guess is that the Carolina Panthers are the ones that will get the last laugh when they got De'Angelo Williams out of Memphis. He will be a stud runner in the NFL if my guess is correct...
I think so too, Panthers got a better pick than most think. De'Angelo may be up there w/ a Rookie of the Year award at the end of this season.

So, if Bush goes back into the draft next year, do the Saints get any compensation for their pick?
AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #20
HomeBred_Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 HomeBred_Texan is a Pro BowlerHomeBred_Texan is a Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat
So, if Bush goes back into the draft next year, do the Saints get any compensation for their pick?
Not 1 single thing. A total lost cause..

That is why I think they would trade his rights away before losing out on everything...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read