Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-22-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AP Article-New-look Texans

Link: New-look Texans seeking new-look results.

Quote:
Kubiak, Denver's longtime offensive coordinator in his first season as a head coach, faces the unenviable task of turning around a team that sunk to the NFL's worst record and the poorest mark in the team's four-year history last season.

He isn't the type to make predictions, but he does have a specific goal for Houston.

"I don't put a number on anything. Our No. 1 goal is to become a winner," Kubiak said. "It's been in existence for four years, it's never had a winning season, and the first step is for this team to become competitive week-in and week-out."

The Texans took what was widely considered a big gamble by passing on Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush with the No. 1 pick in the draft in favor of Williams, a hulking defensive end.

While risky, the choice does make sense. Houston has Domanick Davis, who has 3,195 yards rushing in his three-year career and a new spring in his step since he wasn't ousted from his job by Bush.

What they haven't had is a legitimate pass rush or a run defense. Houston allowed 364 yards per game last season, including a league-worst 143.9 rushing.

Gone along with fired coach Dom Capers is his 3-4 defense as Houston moves to the 4-3 this season, creating a need for true defensive ends. The Texans hope the answer comes in the form of the 6-foot-7, 291-pound Williams, who has been described as a disruptive pass rusher.

Houston also added Anthony Weaver, a defensive end who moved to tackle with the arrival of Williams.

The Texans also targeted their linebacking corps by picking DeMeco Ryans, the 2005 SEC defensive player of the year, with the first pick in the second round.

The outside pressure for Williams to excel immediately doesn't bother Kubiak.

"I know there's a lot of pressure coming from the fact that he's the No. 1 pick, a lot of expectations, but the bottom line is we want Mario to do his job," Kubiak said. "We want him to play his spot well, and if Mario does that, he's going to make everybody better on our defense."

Kubiak thinks the attention defenses pay to Williams will make threats out of players such as Antwan Peek, Jason Babin and Weaver.

While all eyes will be on Williams on defense, the pressure on offense will fall squarely on the shoulders of last year's most-sacked man, David Carr. A former No. 1 pick himself, Carr has yet to live up to lofty expectations.

He had his best season in 2004, with 3,531 yards passing with 16 touchdowns, but regressed last season and often looked shell-shocked.

Yet the Texans expressed their faith in him by exercising an $8 million contract option that will keep him in Houston for three more seasons. The decision likely had a lot to do with Kubiak, a former quarterback who liked Carr from the start.

"He has all the physical tools that it takes to be successful in this league," Kubiak said. "Does David have to play better than he played last year? Of course he does. We all have to. But we expect a lot of him, and we're going to try to build this football team around him and help him be successful."

Kubiak, who backed up John Elway in Denver and later coached him, said quarterbacks often "play their best football from year 5 to 11 or 12" exactly the phase of his career Carr is entering.

"I'm hoping his best is in front of him, and the sooner the better," Kubiak said.

Carr has already at work learning Kubiak's new offense, and top receiver Andre Johnson will be joined by Eric Moulds, who was traded from Buffalo.

After struggling through his worst season in 2005, Johnson has been rejuvenated by the mere presence of Moulds. He is giddy over having a mentor as well as another receiving threat, and hopes are high that their chemistry will translate to on-field success.

Of course the key to all this will be Houston's ability to assemble an effective offensive line.

It's unclear what combination of players the Texans will line up to protect Carr, but the unit will be anchored by veteran Steve McKinney at left guard. They added tackle Ephraim Salaam in free agency and gargantuan tackles Eric Winston of Miami and Charles Spencer from Pittsburgh in the third round of the draft. Winston is 6-7, 307, and Spencer is 6-5, 352.

The group could get a boost from the hiring of Mike Sherman, a longtime offensive line coach who was fired as Green Bay's head coach after last season. Sherman will be Kubiak's assistant head coach for offense.

"I think we'll be very good up front," Kubiak said. "The question is: Which five guys is it going to be? Our competition in that position at training camp will probably be about as fierce as any position that we have."
Old 07-22-2006   #2
Texan Asylum
Christian

Rep Power: 17420 Texan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan Asylum is a quality contributor and well respected

Another good read TC. Thanks for the post!
Old 07-22-2006   #3
Texansfan36
Veteran

Great read. Thanks TC!!

Go Texans!!!
Texansfan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #4
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Thanks TC.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #5
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

good stuff. mckinney will likely be at RG however with pitts at LG.
Old 07-22-2006   #6
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter
good stuff. mckinney will likely be at RG however with pitts at LG.

I caught that too. It is good to hear that the competition will be fierce on the OL. We need a cohesive unit on the field this fall. I think we will suprise a lot of people this year, we have had a great offseason.
Old 07-23-2006   #7
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcore Texan
I caught that too. It is good to hear that the competition will be fierce on the OL. We need a cohesive unit on the field this fall. I think we will suprise a lot of people this year, we have had a great offseason.
agreed, there's nothing better going into training camp than legitimate competition for a starting position. however, these reports of "all 5 of our linemen are out of position" are very exaggerated. flanagan is going to be playing center under a mike sherman offense. pitts has been playing LG for the past 2 years, and mckinney saw time at RG last year and played guard with the colts. weigert has seen time at RT and wand has started almost a full season at LT. these guys are light on experience for the most part obviously, however it's not the musical chairs situation that many reporters would lead us to believe.
Old 07-23-2006   #8
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Default I bet this guy is not a MENSA member

here us what he said..."faces the unenviable task of turning around a team that sunk to the NFL's worst record ", let me see 2-14 not good but surely not as bad as 1-15 or 0-16, which I recall many people saying they felt Texans would not win a game. To counterpoint Mr. Happyface, I would recall Carolina Panthers of 2001 going 1-15 and a scant two years later going 11-5 in 2003 and playing in Super Bowl
Old 07-23-2006   #9
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

When the "fierce competition for the o-line positions" topic is brought up, the discussion usually turns to tackles around here. Does anybody want to discuss the odds of Weary beating out McKinney for right guard?
Old 07-23-2006   #10
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

It's unclear what combination of players the Texans will line up to protect Carr, but the unit will be anchored by veteran Steve McKinney at left guard. They added tackle Ephraim Salaam in free agency and gargantuan tackles Eric Winston of Miami and Charles Spencer from Pittsburgh in the third round of the draft. Winston is 6-7, 307, and Spencer is 6-5, 352.

I'm a bit suprised Mike Flanagan wasn't mentioned here. That is who I am counting on to anchor this line.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #11
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride

I'm a bit suprised Mike Flanagan wasn't mentioned here. That is who I am counting on to anchor this line.
I'm taking the bolded statement with a grain of salt, since it's an AP article. I was just wondering what the people on the board thought. I'm not sure that McKinneys performance in the past years, albeit at out of position at center, guarantees him a "lock".
Old 07-23-2006   #12
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
here us what he said..."faces the unenviable task of turning around a team that sunk to the NFL's worst record ", let me see 2-14 not good but surely not as bad as 1-15 or 0-16, which I recall many people saying they felt Texans would not win a game. To counterpoint Mr. Happyface, I would recall Carolina Panthers of 2001 going 1-15 and a scant two years later going 11-5 in 2003 and playing in Super Bowl
I think it meant the worst record last season...which we did have.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #13
CenTexNative
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CenTexNative Send a message via Yahoo to CenTexNative

Good stuff. Thanks for the update
Old 07-23-2006   #14
Scooter
Funky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I'm taking the bolded statement with a grain of salt, since it's an AP article. I was just wondering what the people on the board thought. I'm not sure that McKinneys performance in the past years, albeit at out of position at center, guarantees him a "lock".
i dont want mckinney on this team, and i've made that perfectly clear for years. mckinney is NOT any good ... his feet are fine, but his hands and decision making are fubar'd, both of which are too late in his career to correct. as for weary, he's been disappointing even as a backup IMO (BUT, he's servicable for the price). however i'm in full agreement with texanspride that the acquisition of flanagan is too far under the radar. a probowler anchoring the worst offensive line in NFL history, under his transferred (and very successful) head coach, and using arguably the most productive scheme in NFL history ... this should be the focus of the pundits. we have the worst possible unit, and the largest possible gain in place, however they're overshadowed by a 33 year old receiver and a rookie DE (both of which i love, but we're talking about the texans). my head hurts.

even if both of our draft picks are busts (not likely), we're twice the line we've ever been because of coaching alone. wand is one of the smartest and most physically gifted linemen we'll see. pitts is solid anywhere on the line. flanagan's a probowler. weigert & mckinney are bad, but they're servicable and can hold up until our rookies and/or free agents can take over. if even one of our draft picks can start next season, we're in position to jump from the worst line ever into one of the top 15. the ripple effect from this change is obvious to even novice fans. better blocking means both better passing and running games. these mean more time on offense and less on defense. this means a more refreshed defense and better pass rush ... combined with a focus on a dominant defensive line and we've become the jaguars on defense, and the broncos on offense. WOW. it ALL starts in the trenches and the broncos have learned this ... the texans are on our way because we're leaning on the lines. i've been a fan my entire life and i've NEVER been more excited about a football team.
Old 07-23-2006   #15
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 65775 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Yea, it has been a exciting offseason.

That's a positive article about the Texans? Amazing.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #16
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
When they wiped out the depth chart on the web site, I took it to mean NOBODY has a lock.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #17
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I bet this guy is not a MENSA member
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
here us what he said..."

This particular AP contributor happens to be female.

How is that article "good stuff?" (from a newsiness perspective) To me, the article reads like a general summary overview that could have been penned in May or June. It does hit on the salient offseason talking points that make it suitable for the intended readership I guess - a national audience that is not as familiar with each and every little detail about the Texans as we are -- or maybe those who went on a two month cruise to a desert island with no cell phones, tv, or internet and are just now getting back and need a quick catch up. On second thought, any semi-positive article about the Texans in a national outlet is a good thing.

They shuffle guys around, yes, but McKinney anchoring the line at LG is probably news to Chester...

Last edited by aj.; 07-23-2006 at 08:31 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #18
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam
I think it meant the worst record last season...which we did have.

EVERY year some team has worst record in that season, but it is an AP article so he didn't have to make sense. god I miss UPI
Old 07-23-2006   #19
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104376 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride

Aren't we expecting Pitts at LG and McKinney at RG? McKinney at LG would be a bit up of a shock to me. But then again, lets get the best guys on the field and light up the scoreboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006   #20
HoustonFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan HoustonFan
Send a message via AIM to HoustonFan Send a message via MSN to HoustonFan Send a message via Yahoo to HoustonFan

I can't wait for the season to begin. Good read TC. I'm not expecting all that much from the team.... just 8 - 8. That's fair. The bare minimum, 7 - 9.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read