Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-20-2008   #21
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Denver's offensive philosophy:How O-line spells success or failure

What stands out to me is the requirement of having good back ups that can relieve the starters. That should be an improved area this season.
Old 03-20-2008   #22
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
What stands out to me is the requirement of having good back ups that can relieve the starters. That should be an improved area this season.
No doubt. I guess we'll find out (well, I hope we don't have any injuries). It's a lot better than having a bunch of overpaid injury-prone old guys, but most of the projected backups are very young, inexperienced, and unproven.

On a side note:
Quote:
''The coaches upstairs saw some tendencies and called the play,'' Smith said. '
This is where young Shanny's going to have to earn his keep.

I think o-line weight may be heading back the other way to a degree. More teams have been going to zone blocking and are also looking at more athletic tackles to contend with their increasingly freakishly fast counterparts across the line like Freeney and the increasing number of 3-4 OLBs.
Rex King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #23
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171407 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Even SI is showing homage to whom I feel like referring to "Alexander the Great":

Quote:
Alex Gibbs, Houston Texans assistant head coach -- The Texans lured Gibbs out of his one-year retirement and will have the well-respected longtime offensive line coach work closely with newly elevated offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. Gibbs will design the Texans' running game, with the same ultra-successful zone-blocking schemes that Denver was known for during Gibbs' tenure on Mike Shanahan's staff. Kyle Shanahan, Mike's 28-year-old son, will design the passing game and call the plays on game day, with head coach Gary Kubiak having final say.

When they were together in Denver, Kubiak was the offensive coordinator who learned from and was mentored by Gibbs, the team's veteran offensive line coach. Now Gibbs, 66, will be serving in the same capacity for the younger Shanahan. This much we know: Somebody in Houston's backfield this season is going to gain a bunch of yards, because great rushing totals follow Gibbs everywhere. During his recent three-year stint on Jim Mora's staff in Atlanta, Gibbs watched the Falcons lead the league in rushing each season.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #24
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

This much we know: Somebody in Houston's backfield this season is going to gain a bunch of yards, because great rushing totals follow Gibbs everywhere. During his recent three-year stint on Jim Mora's staff in Atlanta, Gibbs watched the Falcons lead the league in rushing each season.

Man, that has a sweet sound about it, if it comes about for us.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008   #25
awtysst
Draft Guru

Rep Power: 2603 awtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respectedawtysst is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
This much we know: Somebody in Houston's backfield this season is going to gain a bunch of yards, because great rushing totals follow Gibbs everywhere. During his recent three-year stint on Jim Mora's staff in Atlanta, Gibbs watched the Falcons lead the league in rushing each season.

Man, that has a sweet sound about it, if it comes about for us.
Yet another reason why we won't be taking mendenhall or Stewart. The Denver system is basically one where you just need a decent durable runner that hits the hole and doesn't fumble.

I'm Pro Fig Newton, not Cam Newton!
-awtysst on 4/28/2011
awtysst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #26
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The article although written the end of 2006 is a quite telling commentary on how the NFL has evolved weight wise in relation to time, performance, etc......especially as relates to Olinemen. The entire article is worth reviewing (like the Broncos OLineman who drank a gallon of water and put weight in his jock strap just to be able to weigh in at the minimum).:

Heavy pressure: NFL players struggle with weight game
Since the 1980s, NFL players have packed on the pounds, but is the league's emphasis on weight harmful?

By Carlos Frias, William M. Hartnett
Palm Beach Post Staff Writers

Sunday, October 29, 2006
nice read CnD

I don't know how I missed this the first time around
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008   #27
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
No doubt. I guess we'll find out (well, I hope we don't have any injuries). It's a lot better than having a bunch of overpaid injury-prone old guys, but most of the projected backups are very young, inexperienced, and unproven.

On a side note:

This is where young Shanny's going to have to earn his keep.

I think o-line weight may be heading back the other way to a degree. More teams have been going to zone blocking and are also looking at more athletic tackles to contend with their increasingly freakishly fast counterparts across the line like Freeney and the increasing number of 3-4 OLBs.

When I saw Shanahan the young speak, he talked a lot about what they are looking in the scripted plays. How they notice how defenders line up for different plays. IIRC, they used that information to free up AJ on some huge plays down field last season.

I've been told by someone on staff that the offensive coaches are sort of interchangeable--that their responsibilities are very overlapping. They all have titles, but they all have imput on various positions and just about each coach could coach a couple of positions on the field if pressed to do so. It's very cooperative because they are on the same page and speak the same language.

In other words, I don't think that anyone should be particularly concerned about Shanahan's role on this team other than just one of a number of coaches that know what Kubiak wants from the offense. Knowing their way of doing things.
Old 05-11-2008   #28
Giant Tiger
Hall of Fame

Location: Smiths Falls, Heart of the Rideau Canal-UNESCO World Heritage Site
Rep Power: 9887 Giant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respectedGiant Tiger is a quality contributor and well respected
Post Re: Denver's offensive philosophy:How O-line spells success or failure

What I want to see is our offensive line push the defense back-especially inside the 5 yard line . I thought Lundy had nowhere to go his first couple of games.
Giant Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008   #29
Rex King
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 Rex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVPRex King was voted MVP

Trend watch: Is power offense making a comeback?

"One coach told me his team's divisional opponents dictate this switch -- tighten the line splits down so quick defensive linemen can't penetrate a gap, and roll a short-yardage philosophy out in the middle of the field."

Okay, I'm bored.
Old 05-16-2008   #30
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex King View Post
Trend watch: Is power offense making a comeback?

"One coach told me his team's divisional opponents dictate this switch -- tighten the line splits down so quick defensive linemen can't penetrate a gap, and roll a short-yardage philosophy out in the middle of the field."

Okay, I'm bored.
IIRC, Schaub's best QB rating was when there were 2 or more TE's on the field.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008   #31
Rex King
Veteran

Dang, that's a good memory, PN! I do remember Schaub repeatedly get crushed when the D overloaded the weak side. Would be nice to have a blocking TE with decent pass-catching ability like Utecht in that situation. Dreesen maybe?

I didn't pay much attention to it, but Spencer Tillman said in 06 that they changed their splits when running vs. passing. I'm guessing the splits are going to be wider this year and won't change from play to play. I was just wondering how that's going to affect pass protection. The article also reminded me how glad I am we got Okam. The "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Receivers" Titans seem to be following the run 'em to death script to a T.

Last edited by Rex King; 05-17-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read