Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-19-2006   #1
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Which of you wanted Reggie/Vince?

I don't want to start an argument, but which of you truly wanted Reggie or Vince? Which one did you want and why?

I know most of you are happy with having Mario, but if it were up to you and you could go back and do the draft again, who would you have taken?

I just want to see the common consensus. It's like a study, really.

Tell the truth!

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2006   #2
Chicagotexan1
Hall of Fame

Location: In a van down by the river next to another van down by the river
Rep Power: 52 Chicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respectedChicagotexan1 is a quality contributor and well respected

First let me start by saying - I am happy with MW. He's a stud prospect and fills a huge need. Having said that I wanted Reggie Bush. I am not anti VY, but just didn't think he warranted the top pick. Man, I already know that's going to take this thread in another direction.
Chicagotexan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #3
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Despite being a UT alumni, I wanted Reggie Bush not Vince Young. It is more of a function of DD and Carr than anything else. I think DD has shown us all he can do. He is a solid rusher with good vision and a nice first cut. However, he has no speed, limited power, and is a liability as a pass blocker. Carr hasn't been upright enough for me to know if he is worthy or not. He still has potential to be significantly better.

Bush is a marketed upgrade over DD IMO. He brings homerun hitting ability to the offense (that is lacking atm), and, believe it or not, he is a better pass blocker than DD. I thought he would excel in that Denver style of offense and give us some great threats to go with AJ and Moulds.

Young is raw, struggled with the pro-style of offense the Horns ran when he first got there, and runs the ball too much. Those characteristics could make him a star or a bust. But my reasons for not selecting Young have more to do with Carr. I just don't know what we have with him yet. He hasn't had the targets or the pass-blocking to make a fair assessment of his skills. I think it would be foolish to replace him until we know what we have. If a year or two from now Kubiak decides he is a bust, then we can address the position.
Old 07-19-2006   #4
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43 Titan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respectedTitan "Tack" Fan is a quality contributor and well respected

Two good responses.
Old 07-19-2006   #5
real

VY was my first choice...I just think he is gonna be super special...Reggie was my second choice....I thought he could have made our offense really potent..A.J hawk was my third choice in a trade down scenario....I thought he could have been a staple on our defense for years, and we needed linebacker help....But after the fact i am very excited about Mario and I think that he was the best choice for us after all...
Old 07-19-2006   #6
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtruroyaltyx
VY was my first choice...I just think he is gonna be super special...Reggie was my second choice....I thought he could have made our offense really potent..A.J hawk was my third choice in a trade down scenario....I thought he could have been a staple on our defense for years, and we needed linebacker help....But after the fact i am very excited about Mario and I think that he was the best choice for us after all...
Mario was definitely the safest choice
Old 07-19-2006   #7
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

When I realized we were definitely going to get the first pick, I really had no preconcieved notion of who the top choices would be. But I do know because of the sickening BushBowl, and Reggie Bush signs I saw at Texans games...... I didn't want Reggie Bush.

I like our running back, and I feel his health issues are related more to our poor offensive line than anything.

So I was definitely a trade down guy.

Then Vince announced his eligibility.............

So I became a trade down, or draft Vince guy.

If I were the Texans though, and had to do it all over again, David Carr wouldn't have got his contract extension, and Vince would be a Texan.
Old 07-19-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Oh and I forgot to mention my take on Mario Williams. I like the guy and think he will add a playmaker to our defense. The problem I see is value. We could have traded down and likely gotten him still. I would have traded down for less (take a 2nd or 3rd rounder?) with the Jets, Saints, Titans or Packers then taken Bush, Mario, D'Brickshaw, or AJ Hawk (in that order). We could have gotten an extra player and paid less for our 1st rounder. I'm not sure if it was possible, but I would have tried that.
Old 07-19-2006   #9
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
Oh and I forgot to mention my take on Mario Williams. I like the guy and think he will add a playmaker to our defense. The problem I see is value. We could have traded down and likely gotten him still. I would have traded down for less (take a 2nd or 3rd rounder?) with the Jets, Saints, Titans or Packers then taken Bush, Mario, D'Brickshaw, or AJ Hawk (in that order). We could have gotten an extra player and paid less for our 1st rounder. I'm not sure if it was possible, but I would have tried that.
yeah that was my thinking. It was dumb as he!! for the Texans not trade down. I mean even down to like Green Bay's spot. I don't think any of those teams would have taken Mario. It seems like you could have gotten more value out of trading down.

And to comment on the Jevon Kearse thing: Man was he amazing. But when he left TN, he turned into a nobody. The guy isn't that good anymore, he just has the athleticism.
Old 07-19-2006   #10
real

My thinking on the whole Mario thing was...i thought we should have tried to trade picks with GB if we knew we weren't going to take reggie or vince...and if someone did happen to pick Mario then we could have went with A.J Hawk...plus we'd either have more picks from the trade, or a player from GB...
Old 07-19-2006   #11
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209247 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I was one of the minority of posters who wanted a trade down scenario and a pick of AJ Hawk or Mario Williams.

While I think Young and Bush are great prospects, I'm a big fan of dominant defense (especially on our team). Obviously, the FO made a decision to keep Carr, so we didn't need another QB. And Kubiak's history with Denver has been one of establishing a solid o-line where any decent RB can be plugged in and find success.

So it was really a matter of need, and with our defense ranked almost dead last in the NFL, we had to take a defender. And more to the point, we were unable to stop the run or pressure QBs last year, so a good lineman was a huge hole in our roster.

With regards to trading down, I don't think there were any valid offers that were worth the pick.
Old 07-19-2006   #12
Texans Front Row Crew
Rookie

I think Mario Williams is going to be a monster on defense and instantly elevate all the defensive players. But I was hoping for Vince or Reggie for several reasons:

1. They both bring a HUGE media following. The nation would have had there eyes on TEXAS and not just the Cowboys. I travel to NYC and Florida often and all I hear is how we didn't get Reggie Bush. When I ask what do you know about Mario Williams, they say "not much". (THEY WILL!)

2. Endorsment $$$- which would be because everyone in the football nation would be watching us.

3. Fans. I'm not trying to Preach but, I've gone to almost every home game (missed 1) and several away games and I'm in MY SEAT the entire time. I know those on the board do the same- From Kickoff to the end. HOWEVER, in the last 2 years, IMO the fans are getting fewer and fewer. I HATE when they announce "the total Paid attendance is 72,000". That is insulting- I can see that we didn't fill the stadium- I don't care that you made your ticket money. Let me know what is the true attendance!! I believe that Reggie and Vince (UT fans) would have put more fans in the seats. I know winning would make a difference but I'm going to be here through thick and thin.
Texans Front Row Crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #13
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Front Row Crew
I think Mario Williams is going to be a monster on defense and instantly elevate all the defensive players. But I was hoping for Vince or Reggie for several reasons:

1. They both bring a HUGE media following. The nation would have had there eyes on TEXAS and not just the Cowboys. I travel to NYC and Florida often and all I hear is how we didn't get Reggie Bush. When I ask what do you know about Mario Williams, they say "not much". (THEY WILL!)

2. Endorsment $$$- which would be because everyone in the football nation would be watching us.

3. Fans. I'm not trying to Preach but, I've gone to almost every home game (missed 1) and several away games and I'm in MY SEAT the entire time. I know those on the board do the same- From Kickoff to the end. HOWEVER, in the last 2 years, IMO the fans are getting fewer and fewer. I HATE when they announce "the total Paid attendance is 72,000". That is insulting- I can see that we didn't fill the stadium- I don't care that you made your ticket money. Let me know what is the true attendance!! I believe that Reggie and Vince (UT fans) would have put more fans in the seats. I know winning would make a difference but I'm going to be here through thick and thin.
You make very good points. the NFL is a business and by not taking Vince/Reggie the Houston Texans made a BAD business decision. Bush or Young would have sold more jerseys and more tickets, that is a fact. Maybe Mario is a better fit for your team, but you never really know. I feel sorry for Texans fans, i dont mean any disrespect by that. I feel for you guys. I hope Mario works out for you, but damn, you've been through a lot and now they do this to you?
Old 07-19-2006   #14
cap1
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 cap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballotcap1 is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

I am not going to lie. I jump around a few times on this issue.

First I wanted Reggie Bush. I thought he could bring another deminsion to this offense. We were missing a #2 Reciever and He could do that. He was a fast back out of the back field and we need someone with break away speed.

Then after watching how deep this draft was and that we got Moulds for the #2 (or 1A) WR I wanted to trade down. I even had the Trade down Avatar up.

I am happy with what we got in Mario Williams and I support him 100%. I already bought his jersey and I will not look back and judge this past draft on who we should have taken.

Just my
Old 07-19-2006   #15
Titan "Tack" Fan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1
I am not going to lie. I jump around a few times on this issue.

First I wanted Reggie Bush. I thought he could bring another deminsion to this offense. We were missing a #2 Reciever and He could do that. He was a fast back out of the back field and we need someone with break away speed.

Then after watching how deep this draft was and that we got Moulds for the #2 (or 1A) WR I wanted to trade down. I even had the Trade down Avatar up.

I am happy with what we got in Mario Williams and I support him 100%. I already bought his jersey and I will not look back and judge this past draft on who we should have taken.

Just my
Well what it all boils down to is letting by gons be by gons. You've got to support your team and it's decisions. There's nothing you can do it about it now except sit back and support Mario and hope they win.
Old 07-19-2006   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
You make very good points. the NFL is a business and by not taking Vince/Reggie the Houston Texans made a BAD business decision. Bush or Young would have sold more jerseys and more tickets, that is a fact. Maybe Mario is a better fit for your team, but you never really know. I feel sorry for Texans fans, i dont mean any disrespect by that. I feel for you guys. I hope Mario works out for you, but damn, you've been through a lot and now they do this to you?
Winning produces good "business" as well. That's all I'm going to say on this thread, as it is in the past. What's done is done. Now we just need to produce! I don't really think Mcnair gives a rat's arse about what player will bring him more money. He just wants to WIN! :brickwall
Old 07-19-2006   #17
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanted Vince and still think they'll regret not drafting him.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #18
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 374 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Huh?

Ok..let me spell it out as best I can.

In my opinion the TEXANS will regret not drafting Vince one day.

I root for both teams. I wouldn't be here if I didn't.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #19
tulexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27 tulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famertulexan is a Hall of Famer

I wanted Reggie Bush because I thought (and still think) he will be a great player. But I am happy with Mario because I do not like the way that Reggie handled himself from the week before the draft until now.
tulexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #20
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 9120 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan "Tack" Fan
Mario was definitely the safest choice
Mario Williams, the safest choice? LOL. Bush was by any stretch the "safest" choice; even if he doesn't live up to His Hype and score 75 TDs per season on his way into Canton, he's a sure 1500 total yards/15 TDs per.

I didn't want Bush or Young. Kubiak's system has proven that nearly any Joe Running Back can get the job done, and Bush was going to cost us way too much money at an already well paid position; let alone questions of ego, reliability, longevity, etc. VY is a project and a primadonna IMO, and I like Carr insofar as that I believe when we give him a line and a real offense, he'll get the job done and probably even excel.

I wanted Mario Williams from the minute I first heard about the guy at the Combine, started checking out tapes I could acquire on him, but it wasn't until about a week or so before the draft that I really believed it was possible we were going to draft him. When I got advance word that we had signed him and sent Bush packing, a part of me just couldn't believe it, but sure enough, we had done just that.

Kubiak has done a phenomenal job so far and I can only hope this season goes half as well as I think it will.

And for crying out loud, drop the "Reggie/Vince sells tickets" argument already. I pay to see a winning team. Fans pay to see winning teams. I wish I had hard statistical data on ticket sales/gross revenues, but I wonder if the New England Patriots have any trouble selling out? Who was Tom Brady before he started winning games? I don't even know who NE's current RB or starting WRs are. I just know they win games. IIRC the Lions had the worst time selling tickets, despite that Barry Sanders was one of the greatest backs ever to play. In any event, winning sells tickets and fans start crawling out of the woodwork when winning happens.

Last edited by jerek; 07-19-2006 at 11:24 AM.
jerek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read