Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2006   #1
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Weakest Position?

What is our weakest position? And what do you think we will address in next years first round?
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #2
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansSeminole
What is our weakest position? And what do you think we will address in next years first round?
Nice discussion topic. I'd say...hmmm. Probably safety, and I doubt we'd use a first round pick to address it. We could get a decent one in later rounds, if we didn't go the free agent route for a quick fix.
Old 07-18-2006   #3
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Our weakest position is CB. We need a real solid #2 CB. I'm one of those who think Buchanon can really pull through this year. But as of now our weakest position is CB. I think we're solid everywhere else. And we can be solid here depending on Buchanon. I'd like to use a first round pick next year on a CB to pair up with former first round pick Dunta Robinson.

I think we are better at safety than it seems. CC sounds like he's really developed after his first year until now and Earl has been solid for us.
Old 07-18-2006   #4
TexansFan4EvR
Rookie

Safety and Corners.
D-rob is the only one to show some talent out of the group. I honestly believe D-rob is overhyped and only had those interceptions because people were afraid to throw to arron glen's side. ( Ah the good ole days ). I see him get burnt some times and then others he's not in the right place. I do believe though he will be great with time.
P-Buc = P-Burnt. Worst trade so far for the Texans, last year he made me sick to even see him play football. I mean how do you not have the heart to tackle somebody? Makes me kinda angry I played football and I never was scared to get hit or hit by somebody else, part of the game if you dont like dont play!
Earl- dont know much about him. From what all of you say is true then he must be pretty good to play. But I think we could get an upgrade in the draft next year.
C.C - showed some good talent last year. Hes not scared to lay the stick to somebody. Made some good plays on the runs, but on the passing I dont think he was that good. But experience will come with him and I bet he'll be pretty good for us for years to come.
So I think that we should get D-rob some more talent on the other side if P-burnt decides that he dosent want to tackle anybody.
Old 07-18-2006   #5
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 66182 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Nice discussion topic. I'd say...hmmm. Probably safety, and I doubt we'd use a first round pick to address it. We could get a decent one in later rounds, if we didn't go the free agent route for a quick fix.
I agree that safety is our weakest position. We really dont have any depth there or solid starters. C.C. Brown looks like he will turn into a solid starter but we still need to put some money in this position.

As far as next year's first round I think we will address an offensive line position or linebacker.
Old 07-18-2006   #6
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel FS is our weakest position right now. We do not have a legimate FS on our roster. I consider Brown more of a stop gap, only briding us until next year. I think his lack of coverage skills and innability to turn and run with the recievers, as well as quickly and properly recognize the play will show through more than everyone hopes for and he will be exposed as a back up. I like the guy however, and hope he stays with us, I just want a centierfielder at FS, not an undersized SS.
Old 07-18-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

CB's and S's are our weakest position IMO.
Old 07-18-2006   #8
WILLIEG
Veteran

I believe the 2 weakest postions on the team is at CB and MLB. Depending on who falls to us in the draft, I would like to see upgrades in those 2 postions immediately.
WILLIEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #9
Smokedawg
Veteran

Rep Power: 14 Smokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden coverSmokedawg could be on the next Madden cover

As of right now our Secondary but, with our new front 7 who knows by next year.
Old 07-18-2006   #10
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I feel FS is our weakest position right now. We do not have a legimate FS on our roster. I consider Brown more of a stop gap, only briding us until next year. I think his lack of coverage skills and innability to turn and run with the recievers, as well as quickly and properly recognize the play will show through more than everyone hopes for and he will be exposed as a back up. I like the guy however, and hope he stays with us, I just want a centierfielder at FS, not an undersized SS.
Yea i agree, i think that CC is a SS. But i do think he will improve in coverage, and I think that maybe a year at the FS position will help him do that. Maybe next year we can pick up a talented young FS to take over and move CC to SS.

If Flanagan starts to slow down next year and looks like he may only have a few years left (or if he gets injured)...I think we would probably pick up the best center prospect in next years draft. It would be a perfect position where he could learn under Flanagan for his first couple of years and then take over.
Old 07-18-2006   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with the secondary

just to

what about Center?

Flannigan goes down.. you think Drew or McKinney (gets moved back over) would be adequate?
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #12
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Secondary
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If Flanagan starts to slow down next year and looks like he may only have a few years left (or if he gets injured)...I think we would probably pick up the best center prospect in next years draft. It would be a perfect position where he could learn under Flanagan for his first couple of years and then take over.
you beat me to the punch
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 300095 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTexanFan
I just want a centierfielder at FS, not an undersized SS.
Ummm, yeah:

Pro bowl safeties
FS
Bob Sanders 5' 8" 206 lbs
John Lynch 6' 2" 220 lbs
Darren Sharper 6' 2" 210 lbs

SS
Troy Polamalu 5' 10" 212 lbs
Roy Williams 6' 226 lbs
Brian Dawkins 6' 210 lbs
Mike Brown 5' 10" 207 lbs

CC Brown 6' 208 lbs--clearly the Texans were nuts to take such a shrimp.
Old 07-18-2006   #15
Doom Capers
Veteran

Linebacker. We have an injuried guy, and old guy, a rookie, and a few other guys who shouldn't be more than second string. The only guy I am sold on is greenwood.
Doom Capers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #16
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
1) #2 CB - I am pretty nervous about Faggins and PBuch having to play significant time, Faggins is a pretty hard worker but just isn't athletic enough, and Buchanon has the athleticism but not the toughness. Hopefully Buchanon will pull his head out of his rear this year and the new coaching staff can get something good out of him, but I'm not counting on it, Faggins will forever have pretty limited potential.
2) FS - Brown and Earl are both functional safeties but neither are real good in coverage, we could use an upgrade there if our defensive scheme calls for a safety that can cover people well. Our new defense may not require safeties that can cover people real well, it might be predicated more on heavy pressure and need safeties that are bigger hitters (John Lynch types) that can help in run support and hit people downfield as the DLine and LBs get quick pressure on the QB and don't allow them to throw deep routes downfield.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 07-18-2006 at 11:45 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #17
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Next year I see us going OLB, FS, RB, and OG... with CB as a possibility.

I figure that we will want to further improve our passrush and OLB seems to be our biggest hole in that. (assuming Ryans becomes an ILB)

FS because we lack a REAL FS.. a ball hawk that can really take advantage of our new pass rush.

RB because we are old and/or rickity at the position.. we need more there..and I think Kube will want to take RBs every year.

OG because we are old at the position and we need to start grooming.

CB is an outside shot because I think Pbuch is learning.. I think he has the athletic ability.. and I think with a pass rush (something he has yet to really have in the pros) he will shine. But he may fall on his face..so its a possibility.

This is my initial impression.. before training camp and a single game has been played .. by the end of the season I may be saying we need an SS, FB, and kicker.. for all I know.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #18
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

Linebackers and Safeties

both are pretty weak

oline got some good depth this year
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #19
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

The only FS i would take in the first would be LeRon Landry.
Old 07-19-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

if Wand is our starting LT then that's my vote. I'm one who would rather keep Pitts @ LT & we all know its tough on a rookie to fill that position (D'Brickashaw Ferguson would probably even struggled).
looking out one season at this point is too far, who honestly knows what the Texans will need to aquire this early for next year, hell I could'nt pick two days before the last draft as to who the Texans would ultimately select.

2012 Draft was Mercilus

Last edited by beerlover; 07-19-2006 at 02:28 AM.
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read