Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2006   #1
fan no matter what
Rookie

Default thought on the o line

who does everyone think will take the starting positions on the o line?

now with wade gone who looks like the likley starters?
fan no matter what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

RT Wiegert
RG McKinney
C Flanagan
LG Pitts
LT Wand

I think that's pretty much how it's going to be. Hopefully Spencer and Winston can mix things up too.
Old 07-18-2006   #3
fan no matter what
Rookie

i would really like to see winston return to 2004 form. he would be a great value if that was the case. do you guys really think that spencer should be a tackle or do yall think he will be moved down to gaurd. i know he has played both but he seems kind of big a bulky for a tackle. i have heard good things about his foot work though.
fan no matter what is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #4
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

I've heard that Spenser has a better shot at making tackle than Winston, just based on the player's readiness for the NFL. Not a Fact, Just a Rumor (NAFJAR), so take it for what it's worth. I've been posting for months now that IMO, it will be Wand/Pitts/Flanagan/McKinney/Weigert. That is the current starting line, and unless something goes completely FUBAR, I don't expect it to change much.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #5
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanFan881
RT Wiegert
RG McKinney
C Flanagan
LG Pitts
LT Wand

I think that's pretty much how it's going to be. Hopefully Spencer and Winston can mix things up too.
Forget Spencer and Winston as far as starters..... it says more for our team, if we've got 4 returning starters, as opposed to two returning starters on our O-Line. I'm banking my 13-3 prediction on having no less than 3 returning starters. so 4 makes me think it is more likely that we will have home field advantage in the AFC Championship Game.

Spencer, Winston, Hogdon & Salaam gives us depth, that should help us get through the season... Spencer & Winston will get some starts as the year goes on, and hopefully be the foundation of the future.

But it looks like we are going into training camp the way you listed. & I for one, think that's a good thing.
Old 07-18-2006   #6
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
Spencer, Winston, Hogdon & Salaam gives us depth, that should help us get through the season... Spencer & Winston will get some starts as the year goes on, and hopefully be the foundation of the future.
The real forgotten man in the line talk right now is Weary - the new administration apparently liked what they saw of him and extended him right away. I bring this up because with the 5 projected starters, the 4 you listed as depth, and Weary, there are a total of 10 o-lineman. Will we carry 10 or only 9? The 10 include 5 tackles, 3 guards, and 2 centers. I guess Weigert could get guard/tackle credit.

Anyway, these numbers lead me to think:

1) Pitts is staying at guard or we have no guard depth.
2) Salaam will get cut so we carry only 9 lineman.
3) Spencer might eventually see some guard duty. He should be the most flexible since he has the speed and footwork of a tackle and the strength of a guard.

Tackles: Wand, Weigert, Winston, Spencer
Guards: Pitts, McKinney, Weary
Center: Flanagan, Hodgdon

Last edited by Runner; 07-18-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #7
JohnGalt
Rookie

Rep Power: 10 JohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballotJohnGalt is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
RT Wiegert
RG McKinney
C Flanagan
LG Pitts
LT Wand

Ditto
Old 07-18-2006   #8
Texans86
All Pro

The line I predict won't come together till at best halfway through the season. Most likely a year away though.

(LT) Wand (LG) Pitts (C) Flanagan (RG) Spencer (RT) Winston

Extremely young line, powerful and agile. Could be potentially great.
Old 07-18-2006   #9
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
1) Pitts is staying at guard or we have no guard depth.
2) Salaam will get cut so we carry only 9 lineman.
3) Spencer might eventually see some guard duty. He should be the most flexible since he has the speed and footwork of a tackle and the strength of a guard.

Tackles: Wand, Weigert, Winston, Spencer
Guards: Pitts, McKinney, Weary
Center: Flanagan, Hodgdon
Does Salaam have some kinda injury that hasn't healed?

It looked like they picked him up to be able to operate in Kubiak's offense.

Wiegert has only played two full seasons out of 11?

Flanagan is not exactly standing on solid legs himself.

Weary is another non-starter with some injury problems.

Hodgdon looks like a project special teamer.. certainly cannot expect him to start if Flanagan goes down. I wouldn't think so anyway.
Old 07-18-2006   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters

Hodgdon looks like a project special teamer.. certainly cannot expect him to start if Flanagan goes down. I wouldn't think so anyway.

The line played its best last year w/ Hodgdon at center , granted it was for a game and a half .... I think he's gonna eventually be a starter .

I like Mckinney back at guard . He routinely got shoved around as the center .

Im not sold on Wand as the starting LT just yet but there is always the option of moving Pitts back to that spot if he fails to hold the spot down . BUt that makes the guard depth very slim .

Weigert is a solid RT If he can avoid injury.

Flanagan is an immediate upgrade at the center position over Mckinney , but will he play 16 games ?

I think we will see much improved play from the OL even early in the season , but by the half way point I expect to see them dominate some games .

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I have faith that Kubs and the Sherminator will hand pick the best line from the roster we have. With these two working together coaching the line I assume that even the line we had last year would be 100% better. Obviously Pendry couldn't coach worth a crud.
Old 07-18-2006   #12
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19818 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
RT Wiegert
RG McKinney
C Flanagan
LG Pitts
LT Wand

This is the way I see it.
Old 07-18-2006   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters

I'm hoping Hodgdon can atleast occupy the spot if Flanagan goes down.... as a starter...... even if he needs help in certain down & distance, or on particular matchups.... which really shouldn't be a problem, witha moving Oline.

I do see us looking at a Center in next years draft...... how much we invest, will be in direct reflection to how well Hodgdon plays this year.
Old 07-18-2006   #14
skysdad
Rookie

I think you guys are over looking Chris Watton. Granted they have him listed as a tackle, He is actually a center. He has been through Kubes system for a couple of years on Denvers p squad. I think he will impress some of you guys.

Just my opinion!!
skysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysdad
I think you guys are over looking Chris Watton. Granted they have him listed as a tackle, He is actually a center. He has been through Kubes system for a couple of years on Denvers p squad. I think he will impress some of you guys.

Just my opinion!!
Sherman liked him too... but he is a long shot. Never seen or heard of him either, so that it is not saying much 'either'.

Last edited by TwinSisters; 07-18-2006 at 11:45 PM.
TwinSisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006   #16
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 74078 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysdad

Just my opinion!!
I don't know anything about him. Is he good enough to push Hodgdon off the roster, in your opinion? (A center as tackle - sounds like something we would have tried last year).
Old 07-18-2006   #17
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I don't know anything about him. Is he good enough to push Hodgdon off the roster, in your opinion? (A center as tackle - sounds like something we would have tried last year).
I don't think Drew gets pushed off the roster, he did as well as could be expected out of him last year at center when he came in and started.
Old 07-19-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Quote:
I don't think Drew gets pushed off the roster, he did as well as could be expected out of him last year at center when he came in and started.
That's also my opinion. However, since I don't know anything about Watton that opinion has little basis. I'd like to hear more to see if I'm wrong.
Old 07-19-2006   #19
Texans Horror
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26 Texans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of FamerTexans Horror is a Hall of Famer

SI put out a "photos" section of the 10 players most likely to impact the AFC South. Flanagan is one of these new selections, and I hope he is as effective as his resume suggests (Pro-Bowler in 2004).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ontent.10.html

So speaking of starting line, has anything more been heard about how the interior line (Pitts, Flanagan, McKinney) are doing? Partly because of the acquisition of two tackles, I think more speculation is being made about that position, but I was wondering if anyone in the know has information about the inside linemen? Thanks.
Texans Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006   #20
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by oso
So speaking of starting line, has anything more been heard about how the interior line (Pitts, Flanagan, McKinney) are doing? Partly because of the acquisition of two tackles, I think more speculation is being made about that position, but I was wondering if anyone in the know has information about the inside linemen? Thanks.
training camp begins July 28th, you can get free tickets (limited time only) at most Wachovia Bank outlets starting today.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read