Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2006   #1
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Report on Seth Wand

I got this from an e-mail regarding my fantasy football team,

Houston Texans LT Seth Wand, a former tight end who converted to tackle, is making huge strides at left tackle this offseason. Wand, a 6-7/335-lb behemoth, has been their pet project since being taken in the 3rd round (NW Missouri State) of the 2003 draft. He was thrown into the fire in 2004 and ceded 13.5 sacks on David Carr, prompting fans and the Houston media to call for his head. Last season Wand was shuffled all over the line and finally ended up playing on special teams. This year they launched a full-on tutorial under new OL coach Mike Sherman - and he's responding nicely. Our Texans insider told us, "Wand is overpowering people in practice, to the point where it's ridiculous, they had to pull him aside during 11-on-11's one time and tell him to save it for training camp." With Pro Bowl center Mike Flanagan (who also came from Green Bay with Sherman) making line calls the Texans front-five could be much more efficient this year.

Has anyone heard anything about this?
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #2
YoungTexanFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1725 YoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respectedYoungTexanFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan

Houston Texans LT Seth Wand, a former tight end who converted to tackle, is making huge strides at left tackle this offseason. Wand, a 6-7/335-lb behemoth, has been their pet project since being taken in the 3rd round (NW Missouri State) of the 2003 draft. He was thrown into the fire in 2004 and ceded 13.5 sacks on David Carr, prompting fans and the Houston media to call for his head. Last season Wand was shuffled all over the line and finally ended up playing on special teams. This year they launched a full-on tutorial under new OL coach Mike Sherman - and he's responding nicely. Our Texans insider told us, "Wand is overpowering people in practice, to the point where it's ridiculous, they had to pull him aside during 11-on-11's one time and tell him to save it for training camp." With Pro Bowl center Mike Flanagan (who also came from Green Bay with Sherman) making line calls the Texans front-five could be much more efficient this year.

Its great to see he is overpowering, but I always heard that he lacked upper body strength for such a big man. His footwork however, has never been questioned.
Old 07-17-2006   #3
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I like to hear that, but I am cautious being that the full pads haven't been put on yet.
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #4
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I guess that's the best way you can get taken off the field
Old 07-17-2006   #5
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

I need to see it on Sunday... about 16 times.
Old 07-17-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Well the facts are interesting. Wand was 321 lbs coming out of college and is listed by the Texans at 327 lbs. Would be surprised if the Texans asked him to or were happy with him moving up to 335 lbs--seems a lot more likely for them to ask him to get down to 310-315 lbs. Maybe he played HS TE, but all his college experience was at OT. As for his upper body strength, it is important to differentiate coming out of college from the present--he came from a school with if memory serves no official weight program and maybe no separate OL coach. He has been reported as a big improvement guy in the Texans' strength and conditioning program.

Thanks for the heads up HT--if he makes a big jump it is HUGE to the OL and the O as a whole.
Old 07-17-2006   #7
AtheGreat
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well the facts are interesting. Wand was 321 lbs coming out of college and is listed by the Texans at 327 lbs. Would be surprised if the Texans asked him to or were happy with him moving up to 335 lbs--seems a lot more likely for them to ask him to get down to 310-315 lbs.
Yeah, that is interesting. I thought a big part of the ZBS was the lighter but quicker lineman. Either way, im sure Mike Sherman knows what he is doing. Good to see some postive news about our Oline for once!

AtheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2006   #8
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

I am inclined to be skeptical of this email man. Not saying Seth has played badly, but he has only dominated against the lower second string and third string guys. Peek, Mario, and Babin have used him on a constant basis. I am speaking from seeing this first hand, so maybe I missed this ultimate domination, but I doubt that I did.
Old 07-17-2006   #9
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a little skeptical. Who is the insider? I would have more confidence in it if it said "Gary Kubiak says Wand is overpowering people". I think Wand will be better but the email looks fishy.
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #10
TexansJunkE
Veteran

I remember on Fridays before games we would have walk throughs in shorts, tee's and helmets. I rememer that everyone on the team lloked like a gamer all the way down from the water boy. Then when the pads were strapped on and the hitting commenced it always let you know where you stood. So in other words who cares what people do in walks throughs and practice. IT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE PADS ARE ON AND HITTING STARTS WHAT MATTERS!
Old 07-17-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

hyperbole ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-prb-l)
n.
A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Latin hyperbol, from Greek huperbol, excess, from huperballein, to exceed : huper, beyond; see hyper- + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Indo-European Roots.]
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #12
jerek
Pro Hobbyist

Rep Power: 11661 jerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respectedjerek is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to jerek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
I am inclined to be skeptical of this email man. Not saying Seth has played badly, but he has only dominated against the lower second string and third string guys. Peek, Mario, and Babin have used him on a constant basis. I am speaking from seeing this first hand, so maybe I missed this ultimate domination, but I doubt that I did.
I second the motion. I missed out on attending the mini camps but I have heard it from two people -- both of them football analysts I trust -- that personally sat through these camps and said Wand was the one looking bad. I'm not going to go into it again as last time I said something, the Wand Fan Club rode my case about it, but suffice it to say I'm not holding my breath. But ... if he's really all that this time around, I'll be more than happy for the guy and what he'll do for the team as a result.
Old 07-17-2006   #13
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if I'd be too terribly happy to here that Seth Wand is dominating our #1 overall draft pick anyway. It's all relative. Even if it were completely true, I want to see him dominate opponents, instead of all our currently unproven talent.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #14
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249442 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Seth Wand will surprise many people this year. I've been saying that since Joe Pendry got his talentless carcass kicked out the door and I am still absolutely certain that I'm right.
Old 07-17-2006   #15
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Seth Wand will surprise many people this year. I've been saying that since Joe Pendry got his talentless carcass kicked out the door and I am still absolutely certain that I'm right.
In the greater scheme of things (football-wise, I mean), It's about that time. Seth Wand has been thrown to the wolves, under-coached, through his growing pains, and then stuck on the bench just when he might have been ready to show improvement. With Kubiak and Sherman and that experience stuck behind him (thank God), he MIGHT be ready to look completely different from what we're used to. I just need to wait and actually see it before I'll get too excited.

You're certainly right about Pendry's talentless carcass.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #16
tex
Veteran

I've always liked Wand so I hope he becomes a force for the Texans.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #17
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheGreat
Yeah, that is interesting. I thought a big part of the ZBS was the lighter but quicker lineman. Either way, im sure Mike Sherman knows what he is doing. Good to see some postive news about our Oline for once!

Quick linemen that can move are in important, but Denver has had some big guys too.

There was an interesting comment in my blog a while back suggesting that the Texans offense may not put quite the premium that Denver had on light linemen because the Texans play at sea level and Denver needed lighter ones for the home altitude games. Just complete and rank speculation, of course, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

As for Wand dominating or being used. Blah blah blah and whatever. Don't trust nothing until some dang hittin is going on.

Edit: Here is the link to the blog post on this if you are interested. Look near the end.
Old 07-17-2006   #18
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 31690 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Well the facts are interesting. Wand was 321 lbs coming out of college and is listed by the Texans at 327 lbs. Would be surprised if the Texans asked him to or were happy with him moving up to 335 lbs--seems a lot more likely for them to ask him to get down to 310-315 lbs. Maybe he played HS TE, but all his college experience was at OT. As for his upper body strength, it is important to differentiate coming out of college from the present--he came from a school with if memory serves no official weight program and maybe no separate OL coach. He has been reported as a big improvement guy in the Texans' strength and conditioning program.
310-315 will be his playing weight this year. People get this "converted tight end" stuff from his rookie season when he lined up at tight end in what was basically a 3 OT set. Given his college vs the Texan weight program, I'm sure he'll be stronger even at a lower than college weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
hyperbole ( P ) Pronunciation Key (h-prb-l)

n.

A figure of speech in which exaggeration is used for emphasis or effect, as in I could sleep for a year or This book weighs a ton.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Latin hyperbol, from Greek huperbol, excess, from huperballein, to exceed : huper, beyond; see hyper- + ballein, to throw; see gwel- in Indo-European Roots.]
Agreed 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Agreed 100% again.

------------------------

I'm going with the opinions of coaches I trust - Sherman and Kubiak - in that order on this topic. A few people spin their use of Wand as first string left tackle as "an experiment" or "doomed to fail", but I don't think any of our coaches are going to waste all of OTAs and mini-camps on a player who is constantly "owned". The coaches evaluate players from a much better perspective than anyone else, so I trust coaches that have proven their competence in their area of expertise. I'm sure if and when Wand makes it through training camp as a starter we'll start to hear how he'll never make it through pre-season. That's the nature of fandom.

Last edited by Runner; 07-17-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #19
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan

The bolded part is the biggest crock of BS I've heard from the two practices I saw and anything I've heard about Wand thusfar. I still believe Wand will be replaced in the starting lineup before the season starts, may have already happened from the way things sounded in practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
I'm going with the opinions of coaches I trust - Sherman and Kubiak - in that order on this topic. A few people spin their use of Wand as first string left tackle as "an experiment" or "doomed to fail", but I don't think any of our coaches are going to waste all of OTAs and mini-camps on a player who is constantly "owned". The coaches evaluate players from a much better perspective than anyone else, so I trust coaches that have proven their competence in their area of expertise. I'm sure if and when Wand makes it through training camp as a starter we'll start to hear how he'll never make it through pre-season. That's the nature of fandom.
Understood, but at the same time I question whether Kubiak would have drafted two OTs on the first day of the draft if they were all that sure that Wand would end up being their long-term solution, and from the practices I saw Wand was the one getting dominated repeatedly, not the other way around, and I've heard speculation that he will soon be removed from the starting lineup if he hasn't already. At this point everything is speculation though, in 11 days we get to see them in live action in pads and everything, I am pumped about July 28th and will definitely be there.

Last edited by MorKnolle; 07-17-2006 at 09:47 PM.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #20
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody has to reveal their identity or any confidence, but I will say all the "I was there" or "I have a source" testimony is starting to conflict. It sure might help if folks explained how they got to Texans' mini-camps rather than just said they were there. I know how aj got there--being a 30 year Houston football fan with a rather astute knowledge of the game and ability to write entertainingly.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read