Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-16-2006   #1
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 41913 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What's YOUR Greatest Oilers Memory?

Don't know exactly what the need is to go nostalgic tonight. But was just wondering if anyone else had any great Oilers memories. They were a great part of my childhood. The family had season tickets on the bottom level and on the 20 yd. line. Have been to Texans games, but nothing can take the place of the memories of the "House of Pain."

Took some students to the Texas State FFA Assoc. state convention a couple years ago in Houston. It was at Reliant Park. After I dropped the kids off at an FFA dance on Friday night, my wife, son, the chaperones and I were driving around the Dome. We noticed that the lights were on and the garage door was open at the field level. We were able to walk down their onto the field. I got to stand in the end zone and could still see the outline of the old "Houston" and "Oilers." The security guard let us walk around for as long as we wanted. I even got to play with my son on the field. I've got a picture of he and I in a three point stance nose to nose on the fifty yard line. He was only three at the time.

That's my best memory of the Oilers which led to the passion of the experience years later that I got to share with my son.

What about yours?
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #2
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68248 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue
Don't know exactly what the need is to go nostalgic tonight. But was just wondering if anyone else had any great Oilers memories. They were a great part of my childhood. The family had season tickets on the bottom level and on the 20 yd. line. Have been to Texans games, but nothing can take the place of the memories of the "House of Pain."

Took some students to the Texas State FFA Assoc. state convention a couple years ago in Houston. It was at Reliant Park. After I dropped the kids off at an FFA dance on Friday night, my wife, son, the chaperones and I were driving around the Dome. We noticed that the lights were on and the garage door was open at the field level. We were able to walk down their onto the field. I got to stand in the end zone and could still see the outline of the old "Houston" and "Oilers." The security guard let us walk around for as long as we wanted. I even got to play with my son on the field. I've got a picture of he and I in a three point stance nose to nose on the fifty yard line. He was only three at the time.

That's my best memory of the Oilers which led to the passion of the experience years later that I got to share with my son.

What about yours?
Wow, that sounds like a great experience.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mine doesn't involve a game. My dad introduced me to football at a young age, I started playing little league at 5 years old. A few years later while still playing little league, the Oilers hosted a one day football camp for little league players. I met Warren Moon, Ernest Givins, and a lot of the other players. I got all of their autographs and took individual pics with Moon, Givins, and a few others. It was really an awesome experience and helped fuel my love for football and the Oilers even more. I was raised in a house with Luv Ya Blue and Earl Campbell posters hanging in the garage and my dad wearing the Luv Ya Blue shirt and hat all the time. The Oilers were not only a team to me but something that brought me and my dad together, we watched games together and talked football all the time since I can remember. When the Oilers left Houston I was still pretty young and it broke my heart. After the Oilers left, my dad lost interest in football, even though I never did. And now that the Texans are here, I have slowly got my dad interested in Houston football again and I enjoy watching the games with him on Sundays again and talking football with him.
Old 07-17-2006   #4
bigtex77
Veteran

I don't have too many single moments, but I used to love it when Ray Childress (my favorite Oiler) would get a sack and then pump his fist.
Old 07-17-2006   #5
bigtex77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
The Oilers were not only a team to me but something that brought me and my dad together, we watched games together and talked football all the time since I can remember. When the Oilers left Houston I was still pretty young and it broke my heart. After the Oilers left, my dad lost interest in football, even though I never did. And now that the Texans are here, I have slowly got my dad interested in Houston football again and I enjoy watching the games with him on Sundays again and talking football with him.
This entire portion of your post sounds exactly like my father and me. Except I am still working on the "interested in the Texans" part, but he's coming around.
Old 07-17-2006   #6
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

My greatest Oilers memory was being up on the Buffalo Bills 35-3 in the 3rd QTR of the playoffs as I was jumping around estatic that we were heading to Pittsburgh the following week and looking so good that we were probably heading to our first Super Bowl. I still remember singing in my head ... Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers, Houston Oilers number one! .... da di da da da ...

Until all of the sudden the music in my head stopped ...

Last edited by Hookem Horns; 07-17-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #7
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I've gotta agree with Hookem on this, even though I really wish that wasn't my greatest memory. I remember really being pumped to watch that game and feeling like it could go either way in a large way, but I had no idea at half-time that it would swing back like that within one game.

I know people have different opinions about this, but I still blame that prevent defense. You have to expect the R-n-S to be inconsistent, but that prevent D. is just gonna give up one first down pass after another until your team morral is mud, IMHO.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2006   #8
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

What killed the Oilers in the game was that Steve Jackson kept bitting on the run (play action passes) when his team was about 30+ and 20+. Andre Reed schooled him.
Old 07-17-2006   #9
KingRat
Rookie

Why does this thread have to gravitate toward that awful game,

Givens Electric Slide was pretty cool, and the effort he made to get a TD
Old 07-17-2006   #10
TexanDave
Veteran

Rep Power: 880 TexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanDave is a quality contributor and well respected

My greatest memory was walking into the Astrodome for that Monday Night Football game against the Dolphins. As soon as I walked in, the Luv Ya Blue song was playing and all the fans were waving the pom poms they gave away to fans as they entered the stadium. Then of course, the game was incredible with the 81-yard TD run but Earl. That was the birth of Luv Ya Blue that night.

I was also lucky enough to have met Earl a few times in person. The very first time was when I was a kid and I got my father to take me to his store on Westheimer. He used to own a sports store, does anyone else remember that? Earl was just standing there when we entered and I got to talk to him for quite awhile. He is and always will be the greatest person to wear a Houston jersey.
TexanDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #11
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 54156 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanDave
My greatest memory was walking into the Astrodome for that Monday Night Football game against the Dolphins. As soon as I walked in, the Luv Ya Blue song was playing and all the fans were waving the pom poms they gave away to fans as they entered the stadium. Then of course, the game was incredible with the 81-yard TD run but Earl. That was the birth of Luv Ya Blue that night.
That is it rght there.

If there was a second lasting memory outside of anythign that Ear did it would be Billy White Shoes Johnson for me. It's gotta be the shoes.
Old 07-17-2006   #12
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Pep rally in the Dome after the loss to Pittsburgh in '79. People sitting on the ledges under the old scoreboard. Pom poms flying and the Luv Ya Blue song blaring. Earl riding in on the back of a police motorcycle. Bum's quote about kicking the door in. It was a very special time that will never be duplicated.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #13
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroussardSaint
yea horrible memory here also. i was so mad (and Drunk) that after that game i took all of my Oilers collectibles and put them in my BBQ pit and burned them. and swore i would never watch them again..... of course the next year, their i was drinking beer and rooting for my Oilers...
(my little sister just told my nephew that story during the week and he didn't believe her.)
Wow... I thought I was the only one that did that...
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #14
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

I went to a game vs. the Bengals when they had Sam Wyche as the Head Coach. It was the same year he called the Oilers a "stupid team" then we kicked their butts out of the dome. It was standing room only and LOUD!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #15
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

I loved Moon's 500+ yards against Kansas City.
Old 07-17-2006   #16
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 396984 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

One of my greatest Oiler memories is probably my first trip to the 'dome to see them play. Must have been around '75-'76, and man, the Astrodome was just awe-inspiring back in the day.

Of course, Earl and the Luv Ya Blue atmosphere will always live on in my heart. Those were the seeds being planted that would later sprout an NFL fanatic.

Unfortunately, a lot of my big Oiler memories were the heartaches. Losing to the Steelers in back-to-back AFC Championship games (and having my Cowboys friends gloat about it...probably why I hate Dallas to this day)...and then the Game from Hell in '92 ('nuff said!)...

Although the run&shoot / "house of pain" days were a true blast to be football fans. All those memories sort of blur together, though, because I religiously watched them all and went to as many as I could afford at the time.
Old 07-17-2006   #17
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 109227 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue
I think it's just the nature of the beast...
Highs and Lows.
Our Highs were unforgetable
But our lows were...
pretty stinking low!
I think in that Buffalo game many of us had our highest high and our lowest low in one game. That one game pretty much summed up the Oilers. They would get you so pumped and then just as fast deflate you. Funny thing is, they are still doing that in Tennessee.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #18
Huge
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Huge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVPHuge was voted MVP

Being in the Astrodome the night they came back from Pittsburgh after losing the AFC Championship game. I think I was 9 or 10 years old.
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #19
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 81427 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Monday night football, Miami Dolphins, Earl Campbell.

Only time I ever got to stay up late on a school night was if the Oilers were on MNF. Pretty rare back then. That still has to be one of the greatest football games I've ever seen.

Another great one is that Earl Campbell run plowing through the Rams getting his jersey ripped off. WOW!!! Somebody here has that run as their avatar.

3rd on the list would have to be Billy white shoes in a Pro Bowl game played in the Superdome.

Next would have to be the Charger playoff game with no Pastorini, no Campbell and Vernon Perry's 4 picks. Not to mention his blocked FG and big return deep into SD territory.

There's a whole lot of bad memories, and there is more good ones too, but those are some of my most memorable.
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006   #20
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

There are too many to count. I guess it would be when I got to hang with Al Smith at an autograph session they had here in Austin, and then later that week have him say hi to me like he new me real well at TC in San Antonio, and then to watch him return a Neil Odonnell fumble for a TD later that year that sealed the game and clinched the AFC central for the first time in Oiler History.

I liked seeing Warren Moon get close to breaking the single game passing record, seeing Drew Hill become the Oilers all time leading receiver by catching a TD pass in NY against the Jets, anything that had to do with Ernest Givins.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read