Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-16-2006   #1
Luv_ya_blue
1%er

Rep Power: 21295 Luv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respectedLuv_ya_blue is a quality contributor and well respected
Exclamation Any Card Collectors Out There?

Was just wondering if there were any sports cards collectors out there on the boards? I've been a collector for several years now and have had some pretty awesome pulls.

So what's your story?
What's your best card?
Favorite athlete?
Favorite Team?
Favorite card company?
Favorite Store?
Any local Houston (or your local) stores with good prices and inventory.

I've enjoyed collecting over the years and now my wife and five year old son are hooked! Expensive hobby though.

Include scans if you've got `em.
:rockets: :astros: :killerbs:
Luv_ya_blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #2
Capster67
Veteran

Default Card Collector Here

Hi there:
I got into collecting cards last year. In the past 15 months, I've pulled together 566 cards representing 258 players. I started following Houston football in 1978 so all my cards are Oilers (1978-1996), Gamblers (1984-85), and Texans. My favorite card is Elvin Bethea's rookie card. Another thing I'm having fun doing is collecting autographed pictures of the head coaches from 1978 on. I've got Bum Phillips, Jerry Glanvile, Jack Pardee, Jeff Fisher, and Dom Capers. Am having a heck of a time trying to find Ed Biles, Chuck Studley, Hugh Campbell and - oddly enough - Gary Kubiak. Of course I live in Denver so it's doubly tough to collect. My favorite on line card shop is www.5thqtr.com. They are awesome. Another thing I've gotten into is collecting Houston football media guides. I have every one (Oilers, Gamblers, Texans) from 1978 on (except for a 1985 Houston Gamblers guide). They are AWESOME additions to my collection. Let me know more about your collection.
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #3
Capster67
Veteran

My favorite Oiler all time is Ray Childress - he's still the only player whose jersey I have. I'm optimistic that David Anderson from CSU comes through as a rookie this year. Like the Colorado connection (getting a lot of those this year). I'm also a HUGE stat freak. I've spent the last 6 months on line (nursing the pain of last season) by collecting almost every stat imagineable on the team. Info is in Excel. Would be happy to share them. Let's hope this year goes better and I can get a life again
Capster67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #4
wags
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 22 wags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famerwags is a Hall of Famer

Quote:
So what's your story?
I used to collect cards as a kid. I still have all my cards sitting at my parents house. Probably 60,000 or so. Still remember going to my first card show and walking up to a collector asking if he wanted to trade. He said show me what you got and I pulled out my cards from my pocket that were tied together with a rubber band. Thought the guy was going to die right there. He taught me a lesson in keeping cards safe and gave me a few holders for my cards. One of the cards in my pocket was a Clemens rookie card.

Quote:
What's your best card?
I think it's a 1954 Hank Aaron. Whatever his second year card was.

Quote:
Favorite athlete?
As a kid it was Dale Murphy, guy is pure class. Now it's Carr and Thomas Davis.
Old 07-16-2006   #5
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

I used to collect a bunch of Basketball, Football, Hockey, Baseball, and NASCAR cards but that sort of stopped about 5 years ago. A couple months ago I stopped by my local hobby shop and I've picked up about 70 cards - rookies and texans - for a huge discount. I got a DD jersey card for $3! I can't wait to get back over there.
Old 07-16-2006   #6
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv_ya_blue
Is that in Illinois?
Got any good Urlacher's?
My son loves the Bears!!!!
Why yes it is. I'm not the biggest collector, and I don't have any Urlacher's, but my friend collects a ton and one card is barely anything to him and he drops his Texans cards off to me. I'll probably get some more once school starts in about a month.
Old 07-17-2006   #7
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 12 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

So what's your story?
What's your best card? Barry Bonds rookie card
Favorite athlete? um Lance Berkman or Andre Johnson
Favorite Team? Texans and Astros
Favorite card company? Topps hands down
Favorite Store? Dont know any close but if you know any in houston i would love to know

Some of my cards are pudge, arod, jeter, bagwell, biggio rookie cards i also have a roger clemens game worn jersey and albert pujols game worn jersey just to name a few. Some of the baseballs i have are the future all star game ball, Got another when i was at the astros game and Dotel gave me his ball while he was warming up and then a few years back i was sitting front row and i got one from Bags when he got the final out. I also have a jersey signed by a few of the first texans like Bosseli and Gary Walker.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2006   #8
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 12 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP

Quote:
Great collection!
Here you go Hutch...
Just type in your zip code and "follow the yellow brick road."
Good luck and happy hunting.

http://www.topps.com/scripts/mqinter....exe?link=find
Thank You, i have been looking for a place close by for a while!
Old 07-19-2006   #9
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

My friend collects a ton of cards (I think he said $100 a week) and he is a Bears fan. He keeps the cards that are really worth something. He knows I'm a big Texans fan. He's gotten 6 Mario Williams rookie cards this summer and only one is worth a ton. That means I'm getting 5 Mario Williams rookie cards

-Blue, I was talking to the guy that owns the store and he's closing it in two weeks, so I'll make sure I stop by over there and get you some Urlachers. I've got to at 5 cents a card
Old 07-19-2006   #10
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Awesome 881!!! My son would love it!
Where is the store? Illinois right?
Yeah, that's too far for me to drive.

A $100.00 a week? Must be nice?
We are already eating SPAM because of my collection addiction! lol
lol I know. I couldn't dream of spending money like that a week. The dad must have a good job
Old 07-19-2006   #11
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Just FYI, I bought a box of 2006 Throwback Threads baseball at a hobby shop in Jefferson City, MO.

I got it home and it was a "Hot Box."

I pulled a jersey or autograph card OUT OF EACH PACK!!!

24 total jerseys and autographs out of ONE BOX!!!

It was unbelievable.

I always try to feel the packs before I open them and if I feel a jersey, I let my son open it. Once I realized that every pack had a jersey in it, I just kept handing one after another to my son and he had a blast!

He pulled a Bagwell and Berkman jersey card and you would have thought that you gave him a million bucks!!! It was pretty cool.
The card opening experience The most thrilling part for any collector. Once in a lifetime you get one of those perfect boxes. I've always stayed cheap with the packs but my friend tells me all about it lol. I love jersey cards a bunch and I have a couple Texans and it's awesome to get those memorabilia cards. Congrats on the great pull
Old 07-19-2006   #12
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
You never really mentioned...
Do you have any favorites?
Not just Texans (unless they are you fav's) but on any team.
I've had my older cards packed away for a little bit now since I'm moving, and I haven't seen them in awhile, but I had an Edge rookie that I thought was pretty cool. When I went to my card store for the first time I bought over 50 cards, just Texans, along with that DD jersey that I like a lot. Then I went back and got some non-Texans. My favorites are probably my two Reggie Wayne rookie numbered, my Jeremy Shockey rookie numbered, and my Torry Holt rookie. Unlike a lot of people, I go for quanity instead of quality, and I like getting the ones that are worth a lot if I don't have to pay much for them I'm not going to go to the store and buy a Peyton Manning rookie for $40. I like the jersey for #3 but I'm not going any higher than that lol. You can say I'm cheap. But right now I'm trying to get my collection back going and I've got almost 100 so it's going well.
Old 07-19-2006   #13
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sorry, I meant do you have any favorite players that you'd like to have cards of. My fault.

Like I tell my wife, "You have to be able to read my mind at least every once in a while."
Oh, I see.

There's actually one player I've been looking for. Jarrett Payton. Son of the late and great Walter Peyton. I think he scored against us last year lol. I went to the card store and he said he has one and he's keeping it. He also said I'm not the only one interested. It's probably this area that respects him and his son so very much. I was looking at Ebay though and someone has two cards of him up at 75 cents with shipping so I'll probably take a good hard look at that.

I'm also looking at getting some of the Texans rookies this year. I'll leave that up to me friend lol. He gave me a Mathis last year
Old 07-19-2006   #14
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Very cool
I've got a DD that I know you'd like.
It's a Topps Pristine Untouched and Uncirculated Refractor #ed to 25 I think? I may be completely wrong about the #.
It's in a sealed case and came from the factory that way. It's pretty sweet.
It came in a sealed case I've never seen one come like that before. And #ed? That's an awesome card you've got there
Old 07-19-2006   #15
Hutch13
List of demands

Well if you ever find any Fransico Liriano rookie cards please send me a pm. I'm convinced that if this guy stays healthy he will make it to the hall of fame and be the best pitcher of the 21st century. If you get a chance to see him pitch watch him!. i saw him in person against roger clemens and boy hes got game! oh ya how much do you think it will cost to get one of those.
Old 07-20-2006   #16
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

I just won two Jarrett Payton cards and a lot of 13 2006 Score Houston Texans cards With shipping and everything it was 3 dollars. Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, Jeb Putzier and Eric Moulds are in there.
Old 07-22-2006   #17
Hutch13
List of demands

Today im going to the card shop And i got $75 to spend but i dont know exactly what i want. any suggestions?? Im thinking Texans and some young baseball rookie cards.
Old 07-22-2006   #18
Hutch13
List of demands

Quote:
Suggestions?
Hutch, I've ALWAYS got suggestion...and sometimes...they even make sense. lol

If you're going to buy singles and not boxes...YOU CAN COME AWAY WITH A PILE OF GOOD STUFF.

First of all, are you familiar with "Beckett" card pricing guides? They are a BIG help to make sure they don't try and STICK IT TO YOU on the prices at the stores. They should have some copies of them at the Hobby Store.

Secondarily, I'd go with a personal favorite first! If you've got a favorite athlete, then I'd go with that: Carr, Andre, Domanick, etc. Gaffney was always one of my favorite...looking back now, not sure why?

Moulds stuff will probably go up this year if he has a good season. Maybe some of his rookies if available.

Mario, Reggie and Vince are all good choices of course. I'd stay away from the cheap crappy cards like Sage Hit, Press Pass, Topps (original), and the like. Unless you just want to be able to say, "I've got a Reggie Bush rookie card" then it's not really a good investment. My personal feeling is that Reggie's R/C's are gonna really be worth something in a couple years.

This is the best draft we've had since the 2001 Draft with Vick, LT and so on.

I'm envious Hutch! Wish I was going with ya.
Happy Hunting!

Let me know what you scored!

Thanks for the suggestion! what type of card company do you recomend like topps, upper deck, donnrus etc. Was going to give you rep. but it says i have to spread it around before giving it to you again so the minute i can, i will. Oh and i have heard of beckett and i will go buy me the magazine when i get a chance.
Old 07-22-2006   #19
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch13
Today im going to the card shop And i got $75 to spend but i dont know exactly what i want. any suggestions?? Im thinking Texans and some young baseball rookie cards.
A few words of advise from an on/off investor/collector for 20+ years...

- Buy packs and boxes on ebay, not at the card shop. Things are going to a lot more expensive at a retail storefront.
- Wait to buy brands that are going to maintain and/or increase in value. These generally include the higher end Upper Deck products like SP and Ultimate Collection. Graded cards are also a good investment.
- If you buy cheap cards and/or brands they will rarely increase in value.
- Be careful when buying singles on ebay. You will be lucky to get Gem Mint cards because these are usually sent off to be graded before listed.
- Don't try to make money because you won't unless you have the capital to buy in large volumes. Collecting is a lot more fun than investing.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006   #20
mexican_texan
Furry Tractors

Rep Power: 1698 mexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedmexican_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always collected cards, I collected baseball and basketball cards as a kid and Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh cards as I got older(before the fad.) Today, I saw some card packs and thought I should get back in the game. I was not dissapointed. I opened my first pack and saw a rookie CC Brown card and a Battle Red Andre Johnson from his Pro Bowl year. I also got L. Arrington, Michael Bennet, and JP Losman in that pack. I decided to buy another pack, but one with 2006 rookies. I saw a rookies card pack with Leinart on the cover, but Antonio Cromartie is the only rookie I got in the pack! I got a shiny(holographic?) Marion Barber, and regular Antonio Gates, Kyle Orton and Mark Clayton cards.

I'm looking for Browns, Giants and Texans cards...anyone wanna trade?
mexican_texan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read