Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-16-2006   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1365 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans still looking for players to improve the roster

Sat, 15 Jul 2006 07:46:18 -0700

Sports Xchange reports the Houston Texans still would like to add a veteran running back and fullback into the mix by training camp, but they have yet to make any major moves.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #2
TexanFan881
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1791 TexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanFan881 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TexanFan881

We need a veteran RB really bad because if DD gets hurt we don't have much behind him. We have Wali Lundy and I hope he will be able to have a great year, but I think it's a little far fetched for me to think a rookie 6th round pick can come in and be very effective right off the bat. We don't need to be using Smith as a full time backup and Morency's problems adapting to the offense so far this offseason is the reason why we are looking at players not on the team to be a backup in the first place. We have a good situational back in Antowain Smith, but we don't need to be using him every down and DD has had his problems with injuries and we need to be secure at backup RB.
Old 07-16-2006   #3
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13829 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

I keep forgetting we have Antowain Smith now but another vet running back would not hurt at all. I have lost interest in the whole Bennett thing at this point, the Saints hold the upper hand in that deal whoever they make a deal with.
Old 07-16-2006   #4
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Not really interested in getting a veteran running back. Antowain Smith in spot duty is enough for me. Between Morency, Lundy, and Chris Taylor I think we have more than enough talent. Chris Taylor is right now a darkhorse pick for me, I have seen the kid work and he reminds me of a Priest Holmes type of guy. He is unherald, but has loads of talent and just needs to get the opportunity to show it. He should look great in preseason if he keeps up the work. I would like to see us get a young veteran corner to help in the secondary.
Old 07-16-2006   #5
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree on Taylor. I wrote this on June 8 :
Quote:
For those looking for an early sleeper, look no further than Chris Taylor. The 6-0, 224-pound running back out of Indiana is taking full advantage of a nicked up running back corps and made several impressive runs during full-team drills. Taylor has good size and adequate speed and could be one of those guys who really benefits from the Texans’ new system.
I also wrote this in the aftermath af that article amid accusations of overhype:
Quote:
Chris Taylor is impressive in the context of Jason Anderson being impressive two years ago .... just trying to point out new guys who make you go hmmmm on the sideline. I wasn't the only observer who noticed him.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #6
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

http://texans.scout.com/2/536144.html Here's something I found that I have'nt seen on the MB. Not the most impressive players but looks like the pickings right now are thin to say the least. Just info though I'd pass on.
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #7
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1341 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
http://texans.scout.com/2/536144.html Here's something I found that I have'nt seen on the MB. Not the most impressive players but looks like the pickings right now are thin to say the least. Just info though I'd pass on.
Yeah, these guys tried out over almost 2 months ago and didn't get an offer.

It looks like the Titans might be shopping a RB... http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/in...&news_id=50985
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2006   #8
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

IMO I don't see the Texans being able to pick someone up until TC cuts start happening, unfortunely that means leftovers that could'nt make their first teams roster or their pratice squad. Anybody know on any RB's on the cap bubble or have those players be cut aready?
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #9
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach C.
Between Morency, Lundy, and Chris Taylor I think we have more than enough talent.
May very well be, but more importantly does Kubiak & Co. really feel that way ? Even though they took Mario with the #1 and not Bush, its been widely reported that they wanted to move back into the first round (using their #2 and another pick), to get Laurence Maroney, a back they liked a lot who ran with the ZB scheme in college at Minnesota. Of course the Pats moved too quick for them to pull off a trade.
Then all the ongoing talk about getting Bennent from the Saints, you've got to know that Kubiak is not totally comfortable with the status quo of his running back situation here even though some of the additions may have impressed him in the mini-camp practices, not to mention the element of the added uncertainty of DDs return this year.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #10
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

AJ I remember that. Chris has slightly more than adequate speed. I dont know if you were close enough on the runs he made to hear Dunta and Peek talking about how damn fast the kid is. He is also quite strong. I think we have a some quality RBs they are just young. I will take young talent over a castaway vet right now. I really do want that extra corner though.
Old 07-16-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, slightly more than adequate is probably about right. He has good burst and is a good receiver which will help. He doesn't have take-it-to-the-house breakaway speed though. He ran 4.53 and 4.55 at his Pro Day on turf which was a disappointment since he had run high 4.4's in the past. He's a no-nonsense workhorse type that could could see a lot of action in preseason.

I was standing on the sidelines at the practice facility when I made those observations and was close enough to hear more than I needed to hear, but I didn't pick up on the particular conversation you're talking about.

His Pro Day results: CHRIS TAYLOR ran between 4.50 and 4.55 in the 40... some watches had him as fast as 4.48 and 4.53 on both runs… 4.22 short shuttle… 6.96 in the 3-cone… 11.20 60-yard… 34” vertical… 9’7” broad jump… also completed 15 reps of 225 pounds… weighed in at 511, 222 pounds… has been timed in the 4.45 range several times in the past… his straight-line speed will capture the attention of teams, but he needs to continue working on his flexibility, change-of-direction and hands… just over 20 teams were represented at this workout… all times were recorded on an indoor, AstroTurf-type surface, which scouts recognize as being faster than average… although none of the times listed would be adjusted.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Yeah, slightly more than adequate is probably about right. He has good burst and is a good receiver which will help. He doesn't have take-it-to-the-house breakaway speed though. He ran 4.53 and 4.55 at his Pro Day on turf which was a disappointment since he had run high 4.4's in the past. He's a no-nonsense workhorse type that could could see a lot of action in preseason.

I was standing on the sidelines at the practice facility when I made those observations and was close enough to hear more than I needed to hear, but I didn't pick up on the particular conversation you're talking about.

His Pro Day results: CHRIS TAYLOR ran between 4.50 and 4.55 in the 40... some watches had him as fast as 4.48 and 4.53 on both runs… 4.22 short shuttle… 6.96 in the 3-cone… 11.20 60-yard… 34” vertical… 9’7” broad jump… also completed 15 reps of 225 pounds… weighed in at 511, 222 pounds… has been timed in the 4.45 range several times in the past… his straight-line speed will capture the attention of teams, but he needs to continue working on his flexibility, change-of-direction and hands… just over 20 teams were represented at this workout… all times were recorded on an indoor, AstroTurf-type surface, which scouts recognize as being faster than average… although none of the times listed would be adjusted.
One of the things I find interesting is the difference in "speed" between 40yd. times and actual game time speeds. What I mean is that some players run very fast 40's but aren't nearly as fast when all the equipment is added and some guys are, or seem, as fast with the pads added. In y'all's opinion, is there a distinct difference between the two and, if so, just how important is that difference? I've seen many RB's and WR lacking "breakaway" speed do exactly that and break one for long yardage.
Old 07-16-2006   #13
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
One of the things I find interesting is the difference in "speed" between 40yd. times and actual game time speeds. What I mean is that some players run very fast 40's but aren't nearly as fast when all the equipment is added and some guys are, or seem, as fast with the pads added. In y'all's opinion, is there a distinct difference between the two and, if so, just how important is that difference? I've seen many RB's and WR lacking "breakaway" speed do exactly that and break one for long yardage.
I think this is pretty much a fallacy. If a guy is fast, he's fast with or without
pads. Same goes for those who aren't fast: its silly to think that some players "bump up their speed whne they put the pads.
I suspect the distinction is more between flat speed or top end speed vs. quickness or explosiveness.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunusguy
I think this is pretty much a fallacy. If a guy is fast, he's fast with or without
pads. Same goes for those who aren't fast: its silly to think that some players "bump up their speed whne they put the pads.
I suspect the distinction is more between flat speed or top end speed vs. quickness or explosiveness.
I dunno, but those are good points you made. I wasn't really talking so much about the difference between quick and fast, though. Some guys that don't run quick times seem to be "as fast as they need to be" when on the field. They find another gear when being chased. Jerry Rice is the 1st name that comes to mind.
Old 07-16-2006   #15
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

yeah its an acceleration thing, for some it only shows on short runs, like emmit smith , he could accelerate on a 20 yard burst, but ran out of nitrous after that. come to think of it, barry sanders often ran out of gas 40 yards down the field. but on short runs he looked alot faster
Old 07-16-2006   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
yeah its an acceleration thing, for some it only shows on short runs, like emmit smith , he could accelerate on a 20 yard burst, but ran out of nitrous after that. come to think of it, barry sanders often ran out of gas 40 yards down the field. but on short runs he looked alot faster
It's a fast-twitch thing. There was an interesting study done at the '68 Olympics. They had a bunch of athletes compete in OTHER sports just to get some test data. One interesting thing was that the olympic lifters (even the really huge superheavyweights) had a much faster 10-20 yard burst than even the guys that trained in the 40. They didn't have the technique for coming out of the blocks, but because OL training emphasizes quick burst/explosiveness, they could FLY out of the blocks. And then totally run out of gas.

For me, the 40 time is interesting to look at but for a RB, I'd prefer having that initial burst into the hole. Most RB's don't break a 20+ run more than 10-15 times a year. If you can average getting 4-5 yards a carry but only have a max run of 15 yards, I'd prefer that to someone who breaks a 40 yarder every 30 touches and only gets 2-3 yards per carry on the other attempts. So running for 40 yards is usually irrelevant and unnecessary for a RB.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #17
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck
It's a fast-twitch thing. There was an interesting study done at the '68 Olympics. They had a bunch of athletes compete in OTHER sports just to get some test data. One interesting thing was that the olympic lifters (even the really huge superheavyweights) had a much faster 10-20 yard burst than even the guys that trained in the 40. They didn't have the technique for coming out of the blocks, but because OL training emphasizes quick burst/explosiveness, they could FLY out of the blocks. And then totally run out of gas.

For me, the 40 time is interesting to look at but for a RB, I'd prefer having that initial burst into the hole. Most RB's don't break a 20+ run more than 10-15 times a year. If you can average getting 4-5 yards a carry but only have a max run of 15 yards, I'd prefer that to someone who breaks a 40 yarder every 30 touches and only gets 2-3 yards per carry on the other attempts. So running for 40 yards is usually irrelevant and unnecessary for a RB.
yeah i agree, that and avoiding that first hit, or avoiding the full brunt of the first hit, e. g emmit smith , priest holmes
Old 07-16-2006   #18
Hutch13
List of demands

Rep Power: 13 Hutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVPHutch13 was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to Hutch13

Travis Henry would be a good pickup for us.
Hutch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #19
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch13
Travis Henry would be a good pickup for us.
I agree on that one, I didnt know he was available?
Old 07-16-2006   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 354624 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK_Gamer
yeah i agree, that and avoiding that first hit, or avoiding the full brunt of the first hit, e. g emmit smith , priest holmes
Exactly.

And I took a quick glance at some stats and most RB's are doing good to get 3-5 20+ yard runs in a season. That makes the 40 time even less applicable in most cases.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read