Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2006   #1
BroussardSaint
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to BroussardSaint
Default What Happened???

this time earlier this year no one knew who mario williams was. and Reggie was King of the world. talk about band wagon jumpers Y"ALL (some) are.... one way or the other. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7TM3fZwZs

Last edited by BroussardSaint; 07-15-2006 at 02:24 PM.
BroussardSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #2
NEROtheZERO
Veteran

Rep Power: 11 NEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballotNEROtheZERO is on the Pro-Bowl ballot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroussardSaint
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7T...h=reggie%20bush seems around this time earlier this year no one knew who mario williams was. and Reggie was King of the world. talk about band wagon jumpers Y"ALL (some) are.... one way or the other.
Intruiging analysis, I never looked at it that way.
NEROtheZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia7T...h=reggie%20bush seems around this time earlier this year no one knew who mario williams was. and Reggie was King of the world. talk about band wagon jumpers Y"ALL (some) are.... one way or the other.
I get a malformed video id on that link.

1. I only started coming here during this year's draft to find out how other Texans fans were reacting to the draft and to get more informed opinions on the guys we were picking up.

2. Prior to the combine, I had only the vaguest notion who Mario Williams was.

3. Since I'm only a recent poster, I don't have any proof of this but... I never really thought we were going to take Reggie Bush, Young, or Lienart. I felt our RB and QB positions were fine. Because of our history with the OL, I expected us to trade down with the Jets and pick up DBrick with the 4th pick and the Jets to take Bush to replace Curtis Martin or either Lienart or Young to replace Pennington with the first pick. I expected Mario to go to the Saints, then either Lienart or Young to the Titans. The only question I had with this scenario was the possibility that DBrick would go to the Saints at which point I had no idea what we'd do: Mario? AJ? Vernon Davis? I had no idea.

When I heard the night before the draft that we were going to pick Mario, I thought it was just a ploy to put pressure on someone to make the trade. With all the moves we'd made on the DL the past couple of years, I really didn't expect us to pick Mario.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQI4V...%20williams%20

this happened

Bob explained in about a minute into the video
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #5
STEEL BLUE TEXANS
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10214 STEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respectedSTEEL BLUE TEXANS is a quality contributor and well respected

Speak for yourself BroussardSaint. You must not watch much college football if you didn't know who Mario Williams was before the draft.
STEEL BLUE TEXANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #6
blockhead83
All Pro

Send a message via AIM to blockhead83

Don't feed the troll. Good luck with Reggie.
blockhead83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Wow!! until you turned me on to that video i thought Bob McNair was a highly educated and informed owner. to me he sounded like he beat around the bush (no pun intended ), in giving reasons for picking Mario. for one saying that by signing mario he knew he would be in camp on time. HMM!! wasn't Carr signed and in camp on time?? and Tony Bosseli was signed before anyone else huh?? what are they doing for you now?? Bush (the #1 every houston fan wanted) will be signed and will be in saints training camp. there's no need for houston fans to hate on Reggie because you're front office messed up. hate on you're rivals IE: COLTS,TITANS,JAGS.
I am not hating on Reggie.. What is funny is no team wanted to trade with Houston or N.O. for the "greatest" thing (rumors are Jets wouldn't part with their picks to N.O. Yes, Reggie would be a nice addition to any team, but what we needed was defense. I mean look at the Colts. all that offense and no SuperBowl.. Reggie wasn't going to stop Payton,Wayne, Harrison etc..

We closed the gap (maybe not caught them) with our division rivals with the addition of Kubiak,Moulds,Williams,Ryan, spencer,winston..etc.

At least on paper and that is all we can go on right now until the season starts.
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2006   #8
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Reggie Bush is a RB with a huge upside and an almost equally huge downside. That is not what THIS team needed, although it was still very tempting. Mario was the best choice for this team, if Carr doesn't wind up having to be replaced.

I could put down every choice this team made in that draft, except Winston and Spencer in the third round, but there is an obvious method to the madness there and it needs to be given a chance to prove itself.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #9
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Hey man i'm with you on who needs who. what i was trying to get at was all these people trying to hate on Reggie now that the Texans passed on him. He was the GOD of all players when it was reported that the Texans would pick him. and Mario wasn't even known or talked about. now Mario is the greatest thing next to God. and all of a sudden Reggie is weak, and fragile, and has problems.? i just never seen so much jealous fans on any other site than i do here. Texans fans worring about other teams players than their own.
So has Reggie signed a contract yet?
Old 07-15-2006   #10
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
...what i was trying to get at was all these people trying to hate on Reggie now that the Texans passed on him. He was the GOD of all players when it was reported that the Texans would pick him. and Mario wasn't even known or talked about. now Mario is the greatest thing next to God. and all of a sudden Reggie is weak, and fragile, and has problems.
If you had visited this board before the draft, you'd know that Bush was not a unanimous choice among posters. There was a strong Vince Young contingent. Plus, a decent collection of fans who wanted the Texans to look at non-skill players (including Mario) and/or trade down. Among the posters who advanced this idea most often was Morknolle (you can search his posts).

After Reggie's issues with New Era Sports were discovered, some Bush fans began to cool on him as the 1st pick. Still, most Texans fans were surprised that Mario was signed a day before the draft. But it was a pleasant surprise for many.
Old 07-15-2006   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=BroussardSaint]Hey man i'm with you on who needs who. what i was trying to get at was all these people trying to hate on Reggie now that the Texans passed on him. He was the GOD of all players when it was reported that the Texans would pick him. and Mario wasn't even known or talked about. now Mario is the greatest thing next to God. and all of a sudden Reggie is weak, and fragile, and has problems.? i just never seen so much jealous fans on any other site than i do here. Texans fans worring about other teams players than their own.[/QUOTE
I think it's more a case of loving what Mario brings, after we got more familiar with him than really hating on Bush. IMO, the "new" has worn off since the draft and RB is just another RB to us, now. He's lost Superman status. We have our own Super Mario. Are we supposed to sit here and while away the days til TC pining for Bush? Like has been posted earlier...if any of the top picks were THAT great there would've been a little more action. Maybe it's because it was such a deep draft, I dunno. I DO know that nobody was willing to make a deal to move up and "steal" Reggie. He might be th greatest thing since Earl Campbell, air conditioning and mosquito repellant, but it is somewhat telling that neither the Texans OR Saints made deals when they were willing to deal.
Old 07-15-2006   #12
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

This is funny. The fan of a team who has exactly 1 playoff win in 40 years of existence.

Why don't you head over to a team's board that you have more in common with (e.g. embarrassing futility), like the Lions or Cardinals.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

how do you figure that?
Old 07-15-2006   #14
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
i did visit the board before the draft and think that 4 to 1 is a unanimous choice. for Reggie or Vince. you know as well as other Texan fans out there that you got the wrong #1 draft pick/player out there. whether it's Reggie,Vince, or who ever. Mario the player who only showed promise in the last half of last year is not worth the money or much less the #1 pick. the only thing he will bring you is the #1 pick next year. if you know what i mean...
You should do your homework. Mario had a very good collegiate career and will go on to have a great pro career. Why are you so concerned with it, anyway? His career pretty much mirroed Julius Peppers' and some say it was a bit better.
Old 07-15-2006   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Mario the player who only showed promise in the last half of last year is not worth the money or much less the #1 pick.
Of the top 3 picks in the draft, Mario was the only player who earned a starting position by his 1st college game. So no, Williams had plenty of promise from the start. What he didn't have going for him was playing on a high profile team such as USC or UT. And he didn't handle the ball or score TDs.

Guys who play along the line will never get the hype of a skill player. But, they're paid very well in the NFL. Because it's common knowledge that blocking and tackling well will win championships.
Old 07-15-2006   #16
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I Hear you. Too bad you're team is heading in the same dirrection.
40 years... 1 playoff win. Your team is by far the worst in the history of the NFL. Come back in 35 years and we'll talk. In the meantime you should go talk your smack to the... uh... well, no one. Like I said, your team is the worst in the history of the NFL. The Tampa Bay Devil Rays board might be a good place for ya.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #17
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
You should do your homework. Mario had a very good collegiate career and will go on to have a great pro career. Why are you so concerned with it, anyway? His career pretty much mirroed Julius Peppers' and some say it was a bit better.
exactly

that is what gets me.. his career (mario's) matched up with Julius' .. yet not worthy of #1 pick? .. And yes one could nitpick Mario's game and say well he got his stats mainly from a few games and "disappeared" in other games.. And if Mario was inconsistant at the college ranks, well imagine what his stats would have been if he was consistant...

With that said, that is up to Karmelowicz to get him to be consistant along with Richard Smith
Old 07-15-2006   #18
Wolf
100% Texan

Quote:
Look at you're record!!!!

that is not saying much, Saints have had more to work with .. before this season, I would have liked us to have some players on offense like McCallister,horn,stallworth etc..etc..

baring injuries, I doubt we will be picking #1 overall this season

Oh BTW thanks for the Winston pick
Old 07-15-2006   #19
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
exactly

that is what gets me.. his career (mario's) matched up with Julius' .. yet not worthy of #1 pick? .. And yes one could nitpick Mario's game and say well he got his stats mainly from a few games and "disappeared" in other games.. And if Mario was inconsistant at the college ranks, well imagine what his stats would have been if he was consistant...

With that said, that is up to Karmelowicz to get him to be consistant along with Richard Smith
Mario has admitted that he had some problems to overcome in the blocking schemes ofeensive lines used against him. Whatever his talents are, he's STILL just a kid. He has a lot of learning to do and some growing left to do. I, for one, am GLAD Mario didn't peak in college. His best days are ahead of him. Unlike a certain "smallish" running back who had to rely on a bigger back to shoulder the load. I can't wait to hear the sAints excuses for that little fact.
Old 07-15-2006   #20
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
exactly

that is what gets me.. his career (mario's) matched up with Julius' .. yet not worthy of #1 pick? ..
And beyond that, Mario was at least #2 on a lot of draft boards. It's not like he came out of nowhere and they drafted some totally unknown guy. They got a guy that was #2 on a lot of boards and #1 on a few (granted he was lower on some others but usually in the top 5-10.)

Personally, with the stable of RB's that the Saints have, I think there's a good chance that it was a mistake taking Bush... assuming that Deuce stays healthy. And even if Deuce isn't healthy, Bush isn't going to be a replacement for him. Bush is going to have to be used other ways than you use Deuce. They're going to have to design the offense around using these two backs together and if either one is out, the offense is probably going to suffer. I think the Saints should have taken DBrick or one of the QB's.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read