Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-09-2004   #21
THEPIZZ1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonTexans4Life
Damn here we are giving yall a few "compliments which i dont see why" and you come on here talking a bunch of BS. What do you expect us to do roll over and play dead,,,,how bout this i'll go to yalls message board Monday and tell ALL yall that we TOLD YALL SO . Ever heard of Andre Johnnson, Domanic Davis, David Carr, Corey Bradford, ok ok how bout Jamie Sharper, Jay Foreman, Aaron Gleen, Marcus Coleman ??? No well thats to bad otherwise i dont think ya woulda come on OUR web site. By the way good "LUCK" sunday.
With the trash you guys are talking about your team, I almost thought this was the Patriots board for a second. Maybe the Texans can win a few games before you guys start talking like your team is Super Bowl champs, huh?
THEPIZZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #22
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 249374 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Come back and gloat if you win Chargers fans. Just get your butts back here to take your lumps if you lose. That's all I ask.
Old 09-09-2004   #23
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Ok, for the sake of the argument and out of boredom I want to compare to two lines by size.
LT Seth Wand ------- 6'7" 327 lbs
LG Chester Pitts ----- 6'3" 320 lbs
C Steve McKinney ---- 6'4" 302 lbs
RG Zach Weigert ----- 6'5" 309 lbs
RT Todd Wade ------ 6'8" 317 lbs

LE Igor Olshansky ------- 6'6" 309 lbs
DT Jamal Williams ------- 6'3 305 lbs
RE Adrian Dingle -------- 6'3 272 lbs

Is the Chargers site accurate? 272 for a 3-4 Defensive End? Seems like he must have put on some weight since then because that seems more suited for a 4-3 DE.

In any case, "On Paper" as far as size, it seems to be going our way. Add to the fact our offensive line has practiced against the 3-4 for over two years now and SDs defense just implemented it this year.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #24
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzeppelin269
Add to the fact our offensive line has practiced against the 3-4 for over two years now and SDs defense just implemented it this year.
I will point out that our worst offensive performance of the preseason was against Pittsburgh, which runs a 3-4 defense. So the "practiced against" it concept might not be a factor.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #25
SESupergenius

There is plenty to be worried about. No team is a cakewalk. We are starting 2 rookies and 8 out our 11 players on defense didn't play a lot at their positions last year. Our rookie CB has been torched a bit in preseason. We just don't have a lot of absolutes. Too many questionmarks to be giving us the outright win already. Can David Carr have a good QB rating? Will our defensive line hold considering the nagging injuries to Walker and Payne, 2/3's of our defense? Where has Robaire Smith been? I don't think I heard his name once this preseason. Can the backup D-line put pressure on the QB? Will Wong be able to get the QB against a 350 monster? Will the rookie Babin know all of his assignments? Can Dunta shake off his preseason struggles? Can Glenn hold up with his hammy problems? Can Coleman convert to Free Safety? Can Wand handle a full 4 qtrs of pressure? Can Pitts convert to RG? Can Davis stay healthy? Will the playcalling be better?

We are still a young team.
Old 09-09-2004   #26
Rule12b
Rookie

Yeah, it will be young against young. We have a lot of similar questions but we've seen very promising answers. The national press completely dismisses the team however so much of it has gone unnoticed. Should be an exciting game. But don't worry, if the unthinkable happens and the Chargers do indeed get thumped, I shall return to eat my prediction.

Chargers 31-13
Rule12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #27
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We are still a young team.
If anything, the defense is getting old. The infusion of youth with Babin and Robinson was timely and sorely needed.

Aside from the two rookies there isn't a starter on the defensive side with less than 5 years experience. We have three defensive starters over 30 and several pushing 30 with anywhere from 6-8 years experience.

The defense is not young. It's primarily a veteran unit with two rookie starters.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2004   #28
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGERSWILLWHOOPU

And Igor on defense will frighten your OLine..guaranteed.
Igor? Isn't he the sidekick for Dr Frankenstein?

The Chargers are now on the clock for the 1st Pick in the draft. Let the trade rumors swirl
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #29
SESupergenius

Young as in they've only been together for 2 seasons there nitpicker. Young as in 8 of 11 defensive starters were not at those spots significantly last year.
Old 09-09-2004   #30
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

My main concern is chemistry on both sides. There are a combination of new players (Robinson, Babin, R. Smith, Wade, Bruener), players in new positions (Wand, Pitts, Coleman, Wong, and for that matter Babin), and guys coming off injuries (Walker, Glenn, Payne and Baxter, if he starts) who will be starting. This list includes 5 of our front 7, as well as, 4 or 5 of our 7 blockers (if you include FB and TE as blockers) and 3 of our 4 in the secondary. Those are extraordinary numbers when you think about it.

That is why I refer to this season as a "transitional year". After this season and moving forward, I think our roster will only see a couple of changes yearly (as long as Capers is here).
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #31
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone as anxious and nervous as I am?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #32
Doug
All Pro

All of this trash talking and it's only Thursday.......God I love Football!! Come on Sunday,Sunday,Sunday,Sunday,Sunday,Sunday,Sunday!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #33
ledzeppelin229
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 712 ledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respectedledzeppelin229 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ledzeppelin229

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOgre
I will point out that our worst offensive performance of the preseason was against Pittsburgh, which runs a 3-4 defense. So the "practiced against" it concept might not be a factor.
That's definitely a valid point. However, (correct me if Im wrong) hasn't Pittsburgh been running the 3-4 for forever now? San Diego on the other hand, is in its first year of the 3-4 which could change things a little. And I'm still wondering about their 272 lb defensive end.

Anyway, can't wait for all this blabbering to end so it can be decided on the field.

ledzeppelin229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #34
texansfan88
All Pro

its nice to see that you guys have confidence...i mean, we're favored, we're playing the worst team in football last year, and we're playing a team WHERE THE PLAYER THEY PICKED DIDNT WANT TO PLAY FOR THEM!

cmon guys, nervous?
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #35
HoustonTexans4Life
Rookie

Send a message via MSN to HoustonTexans4Life

Chargers fans a lil cocky "you say ?" But thats cool with me sunday is only 3 days away and than i guess we'll see. but just a lil note the chargers SUCK !!! Oh yea i'm serious.
HoustonTexans4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #36
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule12b
With all due respect to you Houston folks here, I think you are in for a rude awakening on Sunday. True you have a nice crew of newly uninjured players. However, have you taken time to look at the preseason work of both teams? Your offensive front is going to get worked over, badly. They simply don't match up well against our um, no-names. Your back is skilled, but our run defense is not going to give him room. Watch the tape.

On offense, you will not stop our run, period. In the air, Dunta, who played too agressively all preseason, will be exploited often. Your sole hope and bright spot in the entire game is a potentially good pass rush, but just as you point to the rookie's in our O-line, you are relying on one in your rush.

31-13 Chargers. I'll be back on Monday to gloat. As far as the rest of your season goes, I wish you good luck, I like Carr, he's got heart.

Come on back and gloat then. You are right about Carr but you forgot to mention the heart of the other 52 men on the roster. This team is ready.

-you have no recievers (even Dwight is out)
-your quarterback had the worst rating in the AFC last year
-your coach has verbally stated that his team has significant challenges to overcome this season to the media
-your team has perhaps the most incompetent owners in all of professional football
-your defense is laughable, Jammer is the only stand out
-your draft in 04 was weak
-LT is your only offensive option but he alone is not enough to win
-the staring rookies on our defense (Babin & Robinson) are first rounders - your rookie starters on offense are who? is a 7th rounder from where? at right tackle (big difference)
-your team is playing in the loudest stadium in the NFL against a team that has a very good record in season opening games

And you think a win and 31 points is possible...

It may be but it is not probable.

I think that you are still inhaling some of the smoke from those fires that were out there last year.

Please come on back - we'll give you a nice warm Texas welcome.

I do like Rivers though. He's got heart.

Last edited by DominatorDavis; 09-10-2004 at 01:03 PM.
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #37
SBTexans08
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SBTexans08

Texans 33-17!
Old 09-10-2004   #38
Rule12b
Rookie

I've just interposed my responses. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominatorDavis
Come on back and gloat then. You are right about Carr but you forgot to mention the heart of the other 52 men on the roster. This team is ready.

-you have no recievers (even Dwight is out)--I'm not so sure you'll agree after Sunday. . .

-your quarterback had the worst rating in the AFC last year--Even so, we we're 6th in the AFC offensively, the Texans were? Oh yeah, dead last, on defense too.

-your coach has verbally stated that his team has significant challenges to overcome this season to the media--Well, he does tend to state the obvious with panache!

-your team has perhaps the most incompetent owners in all of professional football--Truer words have seldom been typed! You should have heard what an imbecile Alex Spanos came off as during a mid-game interview. It was horrifyingly embarassing.

-your defense is laughable, Jammer is the only stand out--I hope your coaches think so. Most analysts think our secondary is coming up. Our linebacking corps is deep and talented. Oh yes, and the Colt's first offense (incl. Manning) failed to get more than 3 and out each time they took the field. But of course, preseason tape is just that.

-your draft in 04 was weak--According to who??? The lowest grade I saw was B+. Our second rounder will have an impact (mostly against your o-line and RB)

-LT is your only offensive option but he alone is not enough to win--Gates is great, but I will agree with you to the extent that Brees has to step up or we're done.

-the staring rookies on our defense (Babin & Robinson) are first rounders - your rookie starters on offense are who? is a 7th rounder from where? at right tackle (big difference)--Our vets, Oben, Goff, and Fonoti will have zero problem with them. That you can take to the bank, however, I will reserve my comments regarding Hardwick and Olivea for Monday.

-your team is playing in the loudest stadium in the NFL against a team that has a very good record in season opening games-- 2/0 is hardly a streak of utter domination. You don't hear me recalling the total whupping we handed you last time as indicative of anything here do you?

And you think a win and 31 points is possible... --definitely

It may be but it is not probable.

I think that you are still inhaling some of the smoke from those fires that were out there last year.--Nah, just a contact high from the entertainment industry here in LA

Please come on back - we'll give you a nice warm Texas welcome.--Promise to be gentle. . .

I do like Rivers though. He's got heart.
Should be a great game! Good luck after Game One, Texans are good folks.

Last edited by Rule12b; 09-10-2004 at 01:52 PM.
Rule12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #39
Micheal
Rookie

Send a message via Yahoo to Micheal
Smile

I don't think we will have a problem with Tomlinson. As a matter of fact, I believe the Texans will win this game by 10 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom Capers
Lets face it, SD may be one of the worst teams in football. But Ladanian Tomlinson will probably run all over us, which is a weakness it seems. Things could get ugly.
Micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #40
stone bone
Rookie

Default duh

Ok. I see the point that LT is a great if not the greatest RB in the league. But the chargers can't run the ball the entire game. It seems that the starting QB is going to have to step up. Oh wait. It's Drew Brees huh? Sorry. 27-10 Texans
stone bone is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read