Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-14-2006   #1
johnny_tlmn

Post Watchin' close and personal.....

I just wanted to take this time to pick the brains of some real fans. We all watch a football game for different reasons, and with a new coaching staff and players certain aspects may be watched a little closer to scout their progression.
So what will you pay more attention to this time around, for me it will be the long ball, while not being a stats extroidanaire I think the Texans can destroy upfield this year so thats what I will be looking hard for, how about you?!
I will also be checking for how aggresively the defense will utilize the blitz, nothing like seeing Peek gunning for a QB especially "Wussy" Manning (P instead of the W). Just wait and see when ol' "Supa Mario" gets his first taste of blood (sack that is).
Also, this article is not really about the Texans, but it list us as an "honorable mention" in the on the rise category. It's an article on sportsnetwork.com listing five teams on the rise and five on the decline, check it out. One of our rivalries, the Jags are listed as on the decline, as for the Super Bowl Champs, The Steelers and the Patriots, man I can't stand that Tom Brady.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.../nfl/news/ABN4 029064.htm
Old 07-14-2006   #2
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

What does Tom Brady have to do with anything? Anyway, what I'm looking for the most is how our offensive line protects David Carr. I'm also looking to see the difference in how David Carr plays (if he gets the protection).
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #3
kcwilson
All Pro

Rep Power: 12 kcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVPkcwilson was voted MVP

I think there are 5 things to watch:

-Pocket Presense of Carr (Does he exhibit symptoms of happy feet and duck, tuck and roll over?)

-Play calling in the 1st quarter (Will it be run, run, run, punt?)

-Defensive huddle... (Who will be the visible leader on defense? Who is the visible leader on the field?)

-LB play... (Starters in week 1 will be different from starters in week 4-5, or even week 2).

-Discipline in zone scheme on OL. Are there missed assignments, will there be guys pointing at lanes of who should have been where after the play? It will show how well the OL is picking up the system.
Old 07-14-2006   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'll be paying close attention to Carr(and all that goes into that) and the D.
Does Carr get adequate pass protection and make good reads and good progression through his reads(throw to the open receiver or force throws;lock onto one receiver)? Does the D get good pressure on the other guys QB? Are the stuffing the run? Biting on playfakes? Doing the "Ole" on tackles? How are our drives looking? Are we consistently in 3rd and long? Do we have a good 3rd down conversion percentage? Can we stop a team on 3rd down? Can we consistently keep them in 3rd and long situations? I guess I'll be watching Carr mostly on the offensive side and the D as a unit. If the D works as a unit, the cream will rise to the top and the individual stats will reflect that, to a degree. Oh yeah...I'll be watching the scoreboard most of all. The Texans are undefeated when leading after 4 quarters!!!
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #5
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Above all else the OL and the DL should be watched first, regardless of the team. The old addage always says that the lines dictate the course of a game, and that is exactly what always happens.

Without good O-Line play, the QB may not have adequate time to find his receivers, the running back won't be able to find any holes because there won't be any (on the playside, at least), and the offense cannot get into its rhythm. The defense is almost always a reactionary team...you wait and see what the offense does, and concentrate on stopping their strengths. Conversely, however, if the offensive line cannot provide the stability needed for both run and pass plays, the defense can play aggressively and not worry about stopping a particular strength.

Without good D-Line play, the offense has full advantage of both run and pass plays (obviously, of course). The defense will have to bring in extra blitzers via the linebackers or the safeties (and on occasions the corners) in order to pressure the QB. Obviously, though, this allows the QB a quick read in the area that the blitzing defender would have otherwise been covering (Peyton Manning is the best example of a QB who can make a good pre-snap read and throw to the open area). Likewise, on the running plays, the offensive line will manhandle the defensive line and allow for the other blockers (the fullbacks, tight ends, and a linemen who has released downfield) to get a hold of the linebackers, allowing for the running back to concentrate on the safeties. If the defense has put 8 men in the box by bringing in an extra safety, then this allows the blockers to concentrate on the safeties and if the runner finds the hole...then he has a big chance to break a big run.

Second, I watch for the QB's poise in the pocket. Obviously, Carr is jittery and will be for quite some time until the OL provides consistent blocking...but there is still plenty of things that can be done. I always welcome the "sprint out of the pocket in order to pass if you're being pressured...run only if you must" mentality of a QB (this is why I personally have problems with Vick, I like to watch passers pass and runners run), but if the QB is given nothing other than this option then I will gladly let him run in order to keep the defense honest.

This is all fairly obvious, but these things are the most crucial aspects of both sides of play. The OL and DL are the heartbeat of both sides of the football, and without them playing well or consistently nothing will happen. And, of course, the QB (ideally, at least) touches the football on every offensive play, thus his play is among the most vital of all the positions on the field.

Just my two sense...hope it helps someone...
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #6
Insideop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11503 Insideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respectedInsideop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default What I'm looking for

I think what I'll be watching for most is:

Offensive Line - Will they be working together as one unit (especially on running plays) and have the Zone Blocking Scheme down by the first regular season game, or will it take them more time to gel as a unit.

Secondary - With only minor personnel changes, I'm curious to see how well they perform this year, especially P-Buc. Hope they have improved alot and they should with more of a pass rush.

Defensive Line - On paper this looks like it could be a great line for years to come. I'm just hoping that's the way it happens! Is 50 to 60 sacks asking too much?

I'll be looking for many other things too (Carr's play, Babin's play, TE plays, etc..),but these 3 will be what I'm most interested in.

Insideop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #7
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 13034 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

The long ball - Taking more chances downfield

Unpredictable playcalling - I swear, if I can call the next 3 plays by the Texans before the snap accurately ever again, I will bang my head into the wall 13 times.

The D-line rotation - I will pay particular attention to who is on the field in certain situations and how aggressive our rush is.

Running backs - Will DD be back? Will we use a multi-dimensional running attack, QB Draws, reverses, trick plays? I'm not much on trick plays though.
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2006   #8
bigTEXan8
All Pro

Default ...

The two thing I'll be looking for are 1) Can Carr recuperate from the past four years to become a leader and an accomplished NFL QB, and 2) who is the leader of the D going to be. I swear, if it's not D-Rob...I'll be ticked.
Old 07-15-2006   #9
CoachJim
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to CoachJim Send a message via Yahoo to CoachJim

For me it's gotta be:

1a) Carr - Is he ruined from the last 4 years or can he be saved. I mean a man can only take so of an ass beatin & he's shellshocked for good. Did the former CS cross that line with him?
1b) O-Line - Goes hand in hand with Carr's sucess or failure. It may take longer than any of us are comfortable with but can & will they 'gel' and offer the protection he needs?

IMHFO playcalling will be ok. Call me naive, gulable or just plain too faithful but I believe Coach Kubes will keep a D off balance and THAT my friend, will keep our D off the field so much.

The only part of the D Imma sweatin is our pass rush ... our ability to keep pressure on QBs consistantly forcing them to throw before they're ready. That I think can go a long way to keeping DBs fresh.

Nothing earth-shattering, just my basic worth.
Old 07-15-2006   #10
Honch Delgado
Veteran

1. Carr-Has he improved? Is he everything McNair and Kubiak say he is? Will we be looking for a new Qb in the 07 draft?
2. Pass Rush- A constant problem since year 1. Will we be able to pressure the Qb, get sacks, and cause turnovers?
3. Mario Williams- Is he the next Julius Peppers? Will he force the double team? Or did we make a mistake passing up other prospects?
4. O-line-In particular pass protection. Will Carr be given time to make multiple reads or will the pocket collapse? Are the linemen good enough to fit the scheme?
5. Secondary- Will Buchanan shine this year? How good are the safeties in coverage? Will the ints increase?
6. RB situation- Apparently the new system can make stars out of any decent back. It worked for Denver, will it work here? Will DD ever be healthy to play a full season? Does Antowain Smith have gas left in the tank? Does one of the other backs step up, Morency, Lundy, other? Will we have a 1000 yard rusher?
7. Gary Kubiak- what adjustments will he make in a game? what trick plays does he have in the hat? how will he handle losses?

It's gonna be an interesting season. Lot of questions to be answered, at least IMO.
Honch Delgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish people would start using a better comparison that Peppers for Mario. I would rather him be the next Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, Elvin Bethea, Ray Childress. Those guys had solid careers. So far Peppers has had 1 very good year and wasn't very productive, stats-wise last year. I don't follow the Panthers close enough to know how much he affects the game in other ways.
Old 07-15-2006   #12
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

1. Pass Rush--With the addition of Mario and Weaver, switching to the 4-3, where a lot of players should be more comfortable, and everything that comes with not having Fangio anymore, I expect to see improvement.

2. Pass Blocking--I feel this has always been our biggest weakness (except for maybe year 2) and that's got to change.

3. David Carr--Can't continue to have bad play from the QB.

The rest includes the running game, which was already acceptable, receiving core, which should be majorly improved, and the secondary, which should be fine if #1 works out and P-Buch hits somebody. #s 1, 2, and 3 are what we really need, I think. I know we sucked at stopping the run last year, but I think that was mostly a real low in team morral.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

As much time as our D spent on the field, I think a good high school team could've ran on them in the 4th quarter.
Old 07-15-2006   #14
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
I wish people would start using a better comparison that Peppers for Mario. I would rather him be the next Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Deacon Jones, Jack Youngblood, Elvin Bethea, Ray Childress. Those guys had solid careers. So far Peppers has had 1 very good year and wasn't very productive, stats-wise last year. I don't follow the Panthers close enough to know how much he affects the game in other ways.
I don't think we can ues Deacon Jones in there , I beleive last year TJ said he wanted to be like him
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
I don't think we can ues Deacon Jones in there , I beleive last year TJ said he wanted to be like him
TJ is a tackle now. I think that negates it. Not sure...we'll have to wait til A.J. and Dagger read it and reply. LOL
Old 07-15-2006   #16
TK_Gamer
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13 TK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVPTK_Gamer was voted MVP

I'm gonna watch the O-Line/D-Line and Carr/Moulds/Johnson for starters, then try to pick up on the offense as much as I can. after that I'd like to watch the progress of some guys we dont talk much about like Kalu, Weaver
Im also a fan of the Babin/Peek comparison.
I know this, it will be fun to watch no matter what you focus on

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar
TJ is a tackle now. I think that negates it. Not sure...we'll have to wait til A.J. and Dagger read it and reply. LOL
Lol Doc hehe
Old 07-16-2006   #17
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry
Veteran

For me I won't get to see many game on the tube, live on the east coast so I get to see skins, balto, and some philly. What I want to see is on-field leadership who is going to step up and be the on-field leaders on this club. The coaches can do it in pratice but we need a few players that hold the others acountable on the field. We need some true field General this year. My pick is Carr on the Off. and Ryans on the Def.(I know he's a rook. but he did it for 'bama and I realy love this kids style of play and smarts)
Tx'nFanLostInSkinCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf

Deacon Jones is actually the antithesis of TJ. He had an entirely obscure college career preceding his 14th-round selection [in those days there were 20 rounds] by the Los Angeles Rams in the 1961 draft. He had speed, agility, and quickness, the “Deacon” became one of the finest pass rushers in the business. It was reported that had it not been for the chance observation of two Rams scouts viewing films of an opponent, he might never have had a chance to play pro football. When the scouts noted that the 6-5, 272-pound tackle was outrunning the backs they were scouting, they recommended Jones as a sleeper pick. Jones' greatest asset was the sprinter-like speed that allowed him to roam from sideline-to-sideline, delivering what he called "civilized violence."

He wasn’t particularly strong. During his career he played with a weight as low as the mid 250's/ There was a televised sports competition that he participated in the 80's where he was not able to bench press his own weight after 3 attempts. But when he was on the field, quarterbacks had to run for their lives. A little aside that many “newbees” may not be aware of is that it was Jones who coined the term SACK when he once said "You know, like you sack a city -- you devastate it."

To attempt controlling Jones, teams used double- and triple-teams routinely. This allowed his neighboring tackle (his name eludes me) become part of one of the most feared tandems in football. Jones was extremely durable, missing only five games of a 196 regular-season games in 14 NFL campaigns.

Now, does any of this sound like TJ???????......................................... ...

Last edited by CloakNNNdagger; 07-16-2006 at 09:34 AM.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #19
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

For those wanting the long ball. Isn't the Denver scheme known for not taking alot of chances down the field?? I could be wrong, but I think its more of a ball controll, no mistake, short pass west coast derivative.

I know it can't get much worse than last year, and there really is no way but up concerning this one.... but it may not be a big time down the field offense that some might be looking for. Especially when you start hearing the names AJ and Moulds working together on the same field....its hard not to think that sometimes.

I am just looking for sacks and protection. We improve there, and we improve everywhere else!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006   #20
Coach C.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11 Coach C. is a Pro BowlerCoach C. is a Pro Bowler

Actually dont think of post Elway Denver but Elway Denver offense. In this offense they used the short pass and run to set up the long ball. It was fairly common with Elway at the helm and will be with Carr at the helm. No point in using a ferrari to go 30MPH right?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read