Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-14-2006   #1
andrewm779
waterboy

Default Is jabbar gaffney any good?

Can one of you tell me about Jabbar Gaffney. I am an Eagles fan and would like to know if he was a player with potential or if he was looking like a dud before he left. Should he and Reggie Brown (2nd year player -2nd Rd Pick - with 43 catches last year) be an adequate WR combo?
andrewm779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #2
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

If you need a slow receiver that runs sloppy routes, he's your man.

He does have good hands.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #3
Bullpen Drew
All Pro

If he does great in Philly I at least have his autograph!

BTW, Try the Bullpen Drew BBQ joint! Our motto...

"Nobody beats my meat!"
Bullpen Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #4
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

He should be a decent 3rd receiver.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

He is a decent possesion type receiver. He isn't going to stretch D's or anything. I would say he's an OK 3rd guy. Nowhere near our new 3rd guy, though.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #6
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I'd never consider Gaffney to be a #1 reciever...... which it looks like you are going to be using him as.... he's a #2 at best, and I think he would be a much better #2 with you guys, than he could have been with us(when he was with us) because we had a weak passing game, where that's all you've got.

But with McNabb, that may be all you need........ two #2s...... where you are really lacking, is the running game...... you ain't got one. Your running backs are also WRs or QBs..... you don't have a real running back, and so you have no real running game, so you are up by 3(or was it six??), and still have to throw the ball, to keep the chains moving, to kill the clock, and what happens??

Roy Williams picks you off, and returns it for the score.....

That's not your only weakness though....... wait until Sept 10, and we'll show you a bunch of others......
Old 07-14-2006   #7
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Jabar is not a burner, but his hands are like glue, he should do well as a #3 WR, I wouldn't put him as a #1 or #2 due to lack of speed.
Old 07-14-2006   #8
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewm779
Can one of you tell me about Jabbar Gaffney. I am an Eagles fan and would like to know if he was a player with potential or if he was looking like a dud before he left. Should he and Reggie Brown (2nd year player -2nd Rd Pick - with 43 catches last year) be an adequate WR combo?
Jabar has a nasty habit of not looking for the ball if his number isn't called in the huddle, so he is useless if the QB gets in trouble. He has decent hands but does not catch everything thrown his way. Average route runner has difficulty at times in getting open and spikes the football before getting over the goal-line. Does not have the best attitude in the world but not the worst either.

In my opinion not worth the first selection in the second round in 02.

Sub-par #2 very good #3 receiver.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #9
andrewm779
waterboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
I'd never consider Gaffney to be a #1 reciever...... which it looks like you are going to be using him as.... he's a #2 at best, and I think he would be a much better #2 with you guys, than he could have been with us(when he was with us) because we had a weak passing game, where that's all you've got.

But with McNabb, that may be all you need........ two #2s...... where you are really lacking, is the running game...... you ain't got one. Your running backs are also WRs or QBs..... you don't have a real running back, and so you have no real running game, so you are up by 3(or was it six??), and still have to throw the ball, to keep the chains moving, to kill the clock, and what happens??

Roy Williams picks you off, and returns it for the score.....

That's not your only weakness though....... wait until Sept 10, and we'll show you a bunch of others......

ouch.

ouch.

and there'll be only 3 ways for the texans to win that game.

1. The eagles are flat like they usually are in an opener.
2. the texans have improved dramatically.
3. injuries

I think the eagles have as good of a roster as the 03, 02, and 01 eagles that went to the first 3 straight NFCCGs.

Last edited by andrewm779; 07-14-2006 at 08:04 AM.
andrewm779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED
Jabar has a nasty habit of not looking for the ball if his number isn't called in the huddle, so he is useless if the QB gets in trouble. He has decent hands but does not catch everything thrown his way. Average route runner has difficulty at times in getting open and spikes the football before getting over the goal-line. Does not have the best attitude in the world but not the worst either.

In my opinion not worth the first selection in the second round in 02.

Sub-par #2 very good #3 receiver.
Jabar has dropped 5 passes in the last 3 seasons.
Old 07-14-2006   #11
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
ouch.

ouch.

and there'll be only 3 ways for the texans to win that game.

1. The eagles are flat like they usually are in an opener.
2. the texans have improved dramatically.
3. injuries

I think the eagles have as good of a roster as the 03, 02, and 01 eagles that went to the first 3 straight NFCCGs.
There problem isn't personell....... it's lack of dedication to the run game, and McNabb....

Until he stops screwing up, they are on a downward spiral.......

I called the move from best to worse last year, because of the debacle of a SuperBowl the year before...... the problem was McNabb, not T.O. as long as they continue to ignore McNabb's faults, they won't move forward.

Last year, it was McNabb vs T.O. this year, it will be McNabb vs Reid...... I predict Ried will be looking for a new job come January. If that is true, the Eagles are in trouble for '07 & '08 as well...... Unless Ried gets control of that team, and start to seriously question McNabb, the Eagles are done.
Old 07-14-2006   #12
done88
Veteran

He has a lot of potential but mentaly not there. I can count at least three times the ball actually hit him in the helment because he did not lookback to catch it. Multiple times he was open but not going full speed and could not get the ball thrown to him. If he is not the first option he tends to take the play off. His crack blocks are terriable. I got used to seeing Johnson paancake defenders and I watched Gaffney play patty cake with defenders. I believe the right coach can make him better but he needs an attitude adjustment.
Old 07-14-2006   #13
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 41444 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

Jabar in my opinion will be one of the best FA acquistions of the season from a value standpoint. Should have been a very good #2 for us and was an average #1 for us when he filled in for AJ.
Old 07-14-2006   #14
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
Do you have a link for that or are you being funny?

Of course according to some of those stat sights Bradford only dropped two passes last year.

Take it for what its worth.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #15
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279

That just means that 5 passes that he touched, he dropped. That doesn't mean that he extended himself in anyway possible to make a dramatic catch . Gaffney was a descent receiver given all the chances to be a #2 and couldn't even beat out Cory Bradford. I love the receiver corp that we have now and wouldn't take him back.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #16
trane
Rookie

Quote:

Jabbar Gaffney is the epitome of the University of Florida WR's. They enter the league highly touted and although they never are total busts...they never seem to reach their full potential. He will make some plays but he will never be the guy that will be the focal part of your offense. If he is...good luck.
trane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #17
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

He needs to take some of that glue on his hands and put it on his helmet.

Call his number on a 10 yd. route and watch him give you a first down. Don't call his number, throw the ball his way anyway, and watch him not watch the ball hit his head. He's extremely reliable....until he screws up really bad.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #18
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro
Jabar in my opinion will be one of the best FA acquistions of the season from a value standpoint. Should have been a very good #2 for us and was an average #1 for us when he filled in for AJ.

Are you joking?? He couldn't beat out Bradford the 4 years they were here together.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006   #19
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331516 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114
Are you joking?? He couldn't beat out Bradford the 4 years they were here together.
Are you joking?--judging players based on the ratings of a coaching staff which was so astute they all got fired and most haven't been re-hired.

Two words for you: Victor Riley
Old 07-14-2006   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114

yeah, but by the same guys that put Wand on the bench, McKinney at Center, took T.J. in the second, and Babin in the first.......

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read