Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 09-08-2004   #21
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

The players want to win 2 in a row so they are really trying to get that covered early in the season. We will be victorious!!!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #22
BigDTexansFan
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
San Diego pounded us before, no reason they couldn't do it again.

try this.......it is not 2002, this is 2004

Defense is better, we have a legitimate running game now with DD and Tony H, their D last season was abysmal.

BigDTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #23
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

If San Diego beats us we'll be 0-1. If we beat them, we'll be 1-0. That's kind of how I look at it.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #24
texasguy346
Mod Squad

Rep Power: 3792 texasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexasguy346 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to texasguy346

I think I'll contribue a "Yogi type" saying. If SD beats us on Sunday then they'll probably have more points than us.
texasguy346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #25
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

wouldnt bother me in the least. From what ive seen of the Texans so far, we seem to play better when our back is against a wall. I think we are gonna be 10x better at midseason than we will be at the beggining. And I dunno.. maybe it will take a loss to remind us that we ARE struggling and that we WILL need to get 150% to show people how good we really are.

On the other hand.. we spent the last two seasons getting no respect.. and I know how bad we want it. I dont think anyone is coming into the opener with a big head and I think the team wants to keep their opening day record.

and dont forget that we kept up with and beat teams alot better than San Diego last season.. and our offense is returning stronger than ever.. and our defense.. while it did look a little wimpy in the preaseason, is, in fact, NOT wimpy in the least.

its preseason.. we arent throwing everything at them.. we arent showing our hand.. and I dont think we had all our starters out there at once at ANY time.. and one person CAN make a big difference.

Keep the faith.. we know how good we are and San Diego is gonna find out this sunday.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004   #26
TexanExile
Square 1 again

Rep Power: 3475 TexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanExile is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not big on the "respect" thing, as I've said before--I think it's an overrated word in sports. But here in Miami last year I witnessed the damage to a team's confidence that comes from being beaten at home by a lesser team. I don't want the Texans to have to face Detroit with that on their minds.

Anyway, I might revise my 7-9 prediction to 6-10, but other than that it wouldn't change much for me.
TexanExile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #27
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Last year the Patriots were 0-1 after a 31-0 loss. Lossing to San Deigo would be disappointing and give us plenty to talk about but the season would be far from over.
ArlingtonTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 09-09-2004   #28
the_dork_avenger
Rookie

We seem to be getting alittle more respect around the nfl. if we lose to S.D. i see lots of the respect we've earned going out the window.
the_dork_avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #29
scourge 
Digression King

Rep Power: 3215 scourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respectedscourge is a quality contributor and well respected

What if SD beats us Sunday ?

all that means is that we won't be 16-0 on the season...

They'll just have to settle for 15-1
scourge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #30
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 80496 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Consequences

If we lose it's OK. No big deal. We're still gonna win the Super Bowl. We just gotta replace DD, Carr, Capers, and Casserly. Then we'll be OK.
HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #31
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dork_avenger
We seem to be getting alittle more respect around the nfl. if we lose to S.D. i see lots of the respect we've earned going out the window.
We are still working on that respect thing. Respect is born from reputation, and reputation is something that must be earned and built over time. We started earning national respect when we played teams like NE and Carolina tough.

Losing to the Chargers is a possiblity. They have Ladanian Tomlinson and we have the worst run defense in the NFL until proven otherwise. This is a tough league and the worst team in the league can beat the best team on a given Sunday. Heck, we won our first game ever. I don't think I'd worry too much if they beat us Sunday. I don't expect it, but I've seen stranger things happen.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #32
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Not only did we play Carolina tough, we beat them.

We started earning national respect with a win on ESPN Sunday Prime Time. They reinforced that with the win at Miami last year. The Texans get plenty of national run. The no-respect thing is selective reading and listening...

Last edited by aj.; 09-09-2004 at 07:17 AM.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #33
CHARGERSWILLWHOOPU
Rookie

You should be worried about San Diego........an ol' fashion down home butt stompin is comin your way like the hurricane of the early 1900s!!

I beg of you to talk about how we sucked last year.....hehee

Our defense is alot stronger than last year, be very afraid of Igor....you will soon know who he is.......
CHARGERSWILLWHOOPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #34
THEPIZZ1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDTexansFan
try this.......it is not 2002, this is 2004

Defense is better, we have a legitimate running game now with DD and Tony H, their D last season was abysmal.

Try this...it is not 2003, this is 2004.

Doesn't that suck when your own argument is used against you??
THEPIZZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #35
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottle-O-Bud
All I am saying is that we cannot lay an egg in SD!
And I'm saying that if the Texans are IN San Diego Sunday then they're going to lose that game by forfeit.

Though later in the day after they've beaten the stuffing out the Chargers they can feel free to take a quick flight to San Diego and go lay as many eggs in it as they see fit. Just be back in time for practice cause the Lions are coming up.
Old 09-09-2004   #36
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 297041 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPIZZ1
Try this...it is not 2003, this is 2004.

Doesn't that suck when your own argument is used against you??
Good point. Not completely solid but a good point nevertheless. I think you should note however that the difference in time for your defense is one season and a season in which you've recently made a scheme change to it on top of that. His statement about the Texans improved running game is obviously true though.

In 2002 when the Chargers spent a Sunday afternoon planting David Carr all over the field The Texans couldn't run the ball to save their (or Carr's) life. That's just not the case anymore. Being able to run the ball helped drop 40 sacks off of our allowed total last season. In two years we've gained a running game and an improved offensive line. In that same interval the Chargers have sunk to the bottom of the league.

I hope you have the personnel to play the 3-4 because when you don't (We saw it last season when injuries put us in a bad spot) it's ugly as sin. Actually now that I think about it no I don't. I hope you don't have the people to pull it off. It will be nice to see someone else get that end of the stick for a change after the 2003 "Texans Death March".
Old 09-09-2004   #37
DominatorDavis
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGERSWILLWHOOPU
You should be worried about San Diego........an ol' fashion down home butt stompin is comin your way like the hurricane of the early 1900s!!

I beg of you to talk about how we sucked last year.....hehee

Our defense is alot stronger than last year, be very afraid of Igor....you will soon know who he is.......

Texans 26 - Chargers 14

Last year was in the past - its 2004. I'll be back here Sunday night. We will win Sunday's game at Reliant. Your backers are no better than Miami's last year, or Carolina's, or Buffalo's. Igor isn't scaring anybody either. Please. Especially the offensive line.

Tomlinson however is another issue all together. He'll probably have to run the ball 54-55 times on Sunday.

HA
DominatorDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #38
Tulip
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15 Tulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVPTulip was voted MVP

Haven't we been favored in two games before? I remember Cincinatti in 2002, when we had the tar beaten out of us. Then there was at least one last year. Anyone remember?

I'm not usually superstitious, but I don't like being 5 point favorites.

(Note: Exactly HOW "family friendly" is this board? I think even a G-rated movie could get the word I put in instead of "tar". Seriously.)

Last edited by Tulip; 09-09-2004 at 01:30 PM.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004   #39
THEPIZZ1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel
Good point. Not completely solid but a good point nevertheless. I think you should note however that the difference in time for your defense is one season and a season in which you've recently made a scheme change to it on top of that. His statement about the Texans improved running game is obviously true though.

In 2002 when the Chargers spent a Sunday afternoon planting David Carr all over the field The Texans couldn't run the ball to save their (or Carr's) life. That's just not the case anymore. Being able to run the ball helped drop 40 sacks off of our allowed total last season. In two years we've gained a running game and an improved offensive line. In that same interval the Chargers have sunk to the bottom of the league.

I hope you have the personnel to play the 3-4 because when you don't (We saw it last season when injuries put us in a bad spot) it's ugly as sin. Actually now that I think about it no I don't. I hope you don't have the people to pull it off. It will be nice to see someone else get that end of the stick for a change after the 2003 "Texans Death March".
Fair enough. We don't know at this point whether the new 3-4 defense will help us or hurt us yet. But luckily, the games are played on the field (not on message boards), so we will find out soon enough.

And I'm going to help myself to some of your popcorn
Old 09-09-2004   #40
THEPIZZ1
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddy
I've stayed away from this dumb Post, for days and just because
I got time to blow before tonight's game, I made the mistake of
reading all the posts. To the glomers, stay away from the pot.
NUN, make this your last " What if the sky falls? post " But, to ans. the dumbest question asked this Year. I'll loose my ranch
because that's what I bet on the Texans wining the game.
Betting the ranch on the Texans would be dummer than this thread for sure.....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read