Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2006   #1
phan1
All Pro

Default Any reason to believe Mario will bust?

Well, not to be negative. I want Mario to succeed as much as the next Texans fan. But I just want to ask that now that we've drafted him and seen him in some minicamps, are there any reasons why Mario will bust at the moment? Without seeing him play a game, I can only say 2 reasons why he won't. 1) He's an athletic freak of nature. 2) He's shown very good character. That alone should be well enough, but you never know what's going to happen. And I can't think of any reasons right now why he wouldn't. I have heard nothing but good things from other players since he's been in Houston.

But what worries me are past sure-fire DE picks a la Courtney Brown. WTF happened to him and other DEs? Courney Brown had to be incredibly physically gifted to be picked #1 right? Unfortunately, I haven't followed football long enough to have any clue to what happened to previous busted draft picks. I have yet to read any article on why Mario will bust like other top drafted DEs other than the typical "Why didn't you pick Reggie" articles.
phan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #2
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phan1
Well, not to be negative. I want Mario to succeed as much as the next Texans fan. But I just want to ask that now that we've drafted him and seen him in some minicamps, are there any reasons why Mario will bust at the moment? Without seeing him play a game, I can only say 2 reasons why he won't. 1) He's an athletic freak of nature. 2) He's shown very good character. That alone should be well enough, but you never know what's going to happen. And I can't think of any reasons right now why he wouldn't. I have heard nothing but good things from other players since he's been in Houston.

But what worries me are past sure-fire DE picks a la Courtney Brown. WTF happened to him and other DEs? Courney Brown had to be incredibly physically gifted to be picked #1 right? Unfortunately, I haven't followed football long enough to have any clue to what happened to previous busted draft picks. I have yet to read any article on why Mario will bust like other top drafted DEs other than the typical "Why didn't you pick Reggie" articles.
The only way I see Mario not being very successful is if he catches a bad string of injuries. Courtney Brown is also more of a strongside DE and a run stopper than a pass rusher, so he never put up sack numbers like Julius Peppers or Jevon Kearse, plus he was pretty lazy and allegedly didn't ever have a very good attitude. Mario doesn't have any of those negative traits, plus he is more of a physical freak than even Peppers was, and Courtney Brown was never that type of DE.
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #3
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a crapshoot. Anybody can be a bust. Sometimes the player just isn't as good as everyone thinks. Sometimes the player just gets drafted into the wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes the player stops working because they've "made" it. Sometimes they just get injured and never can quite recover.

OJ Simpson was a "bust" until they got a coach who knew how to use him. Bradshaw was a bust his first few years. There was a huge debate on whether Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf. Lots of people thought that Leaf was going to be better than Manning but he turned out to be a total bust.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #4
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I am not sure, I guess it depends on your definition of "bust".. Bruce Smith like(lots of probowls), Ray Childress like (few less probowls), (honestly went blank on who hasn't went to probowl,yet was a very solid linemen)

For me time, as the #1 pick overall, I want him to be dominate and change the way the game is played, but that is a hard thing to do (Lawrence Taylor like) and few people do it. I want offensives to game plan around what Mario is doing, yet I know very few people can do that.

I am not doubting what Mario can or cannot do, I just haven't figured out what my realistic expectations are.. Mayby a combination of Ray childress and Bruce smith with a smudge (sentimental talk) or mixture of Sean Jones and William fuller)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #5
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

he is what he is............. but here is a question, who was rated even close to Mario at his position? and when was there a DE rated this highly? thats right about 5 years ago and his name was Peppers. But yes, there is always a possibility, just not very likely.

Mario Williams is gonna be a player, give MorKnolle credit he was way ahead of the curve on this one

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #6
nunusguy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185 nunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respectednunusguy is a quality contributor and well respected

Even at this level, Mario is so gifted that it would seem it would be difficult for him to fail. TE freak Vernon Davis is probably the only other player in this Draft that has the kind of raw athletic qualities that Mario does.
And given that he is a young man of alledged high character, it seems even
more improbable that he could wash out.
nunusguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #7
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle
The only way I see Mario not being very successful is if he catches a bad string of injuries. Courtney Brown is also more of a strongside DE and a run stopper than a pass rusher, so he never put up sack numbers like Julius Peppers or Jevon Kearse, plus he was pretty lazy and allegedly didn't ever have a very good attitude. Mario doesn't have any of those negative traits, plus he is more of a physical freak than even Peppers was, and Courtney Brown was never that type of DE.

Nice post, droppin' some knowledge, thanks. I think Mario will have a huge impact right away. He has got good intangibles on top of his physical abilities.
Old 07-12-2006   #8
Texansfan36
Veteran

Theres plenty of reasons to believe Mario will be a bust, but then again that holds true for all college athletes making the transition to the pro's, until we see what he can do in a game, theres no way to be sure. But if he lives up to the hype (and I'm sure he will) its going to be a really good year for the Texans. But we all knew that already
Texansfan36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorKnolle

Courtney Brown's first year was non-great. All the rest of his years have been injury riddled.
Old 07-12-2006   #10
South Texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 10 South Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballotSouth Texan is on the Pro-Bowl ballot
Default Bust is exactly right...

Yep... I suspect there will be a bust of him in the Hall of Fame somewhere down the road! (Or do they just have pictures of the Hall of Famers??)

Going into the pros he seems very focused, has good values. and is eager to prove he was worth the #1 pick. The only way I see him having problems would be through injuries or "falling in the wrong crowd." I don't think there is any doubt the talent is there for him to be one of the best ever if he can keep his head on straight.

McNair seems to attract class, let's hope Mario can live up to that both on and off the field.
South Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #11
Napa Auto Parts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16 Napa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden coverNapa Auto Parts could be on the next Madden cover

i have no reason to believe that mario will be a bust but it can happen. i wish mario the best and hope he break the sack single season record but only time will tell. i mean honestly how many of us looking back would of tought david carr would of been the bust he has been so *far* not many.
Napa Auto Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #12
threetoedpete
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142 threetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respectedthreetoedpete is a quality contributor and well respected

How about squaty, HOFer Elvin Beatha, Wolf. His book is a pretty good read btw.

I said it in an early thread, the first time we see the guy set up an OT with a double move, we'll know we got the goods. I always got problems with someone who has a motor problem...give me John Randle/ Jerry Rice types every time. I don't love Seth Payne. But give a coach 21 more of them, and we make the play offs every year. Over acheivers and believers always have a chance to be great. But Mario is the face of our defense now. His run at the HOF begins September. We'll see . He has all the tools physically. All he has to do is want it.... bad. I have no problem with the pick. VY & RB were not worth 2600 points. Neither is signed as of today. We pulled the best DL by all draft pundits off the board. Someone who has the potential to be truly great. I can live with that.

Kuddos Morknole. Nice call.
threetoedpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 329529 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetoedpete
I don't love Seth Payne. But give a coach 21 more of them, and we make the play offs every year.
Funny, I will take 22 smart, hard working, non-elite players making the play-offs every year from here on out.

JMO--but winning tends to transform smart hard working non-elite players into pro-bowlers.
Old 07-12-2006   #14
Texansfan36
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Funny, I will take 22 smart, hard working, non-elite players making the play-offs every year from here on out.

JMO--but winning tends to transform smart hard working non-elite players into pro-bowlers.
I couldn't agree more, LETS GO TEXANS!!!!
Old 07-12-2006   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
What in the heck is Mathis then?
Old 07-12-2006   #16
Texansfan36
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
What in the heck is Mathis then?
Mathis is in lack of a better term, a freak of nature, err or at least I think he might be.
Old 07-13-2006   #17
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texansfan36
Mathis is in lack of a better term, a freak of nature, err or at least I think he might be.
Hmmm..... Mathis a freak of nature, no. A fast little bugger, Yes.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #18
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 4856 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario actually appears to have all of the qualities not to be a bust. Now since the practics so far this year were no pads they aren't really worth much except that you can judge effort, and from all that I have heard, Mario has an abundance of it. Whenyou add his physical attributes, he looks like he could be great. Hurry up season, Hurry up.
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006   #19
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, anyone in the top 10-15 could end up being a disappointment, not necesarilly a bust, and I also have a feeling several players taken in the later rounds could turn out to be steals of this draft. As far as Mario probably too early to tell.
Old 07-13-2006   #20
Samer
Veteran

I can't see it unless he is injured....he is too much of a freak to not succeed

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read