Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-12-2006   #1
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected
Default On the spot: Ten who must get it done in '06

Another yawner of an article, but hey, it has Davey's name in it and it's really slow around here. Enjoy...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9550200

8. David Carr, QB, Houston: I know, I know, you get better protection from the lining of your college windbreaker than Carr does from the Texans' offensive line. Well, Houston drafted Charles Spencer and Eric Winston and made a pledge to Carr by paying him an $8 million roster bonus in February. Then the Texans hired former quarterback Gary Kubiak as their head coach. That means it's time Carr does something other than absorb another sack. Plenty of scouts and personnel directors still like him as a quarterback, believing he suffered because of the team's matador blocking. But when is he held accountable? Answer: Now.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #2
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Great.......I am soooooo happy to see another thread about Carr getting ready to go down the toilet I think the horse is even getting annoyed. That was a yawner of a story, but I think that is the perception from basically everyone around the league. We shall see........
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #3
ojthecat
Veteran

I still cant believe that we didnt trade david Carr to Tennesse then we could have had Vince Yound and then we could have traded Domminic Davis to NO and we could have had Reggie Bush and then we could have selected Mario and then we could have traded our third and forth round picks to the Jets and selected Dbrick.

What were we thinking???
Old 07-12-2006   #4
bigbrewster2000
4th Infantry

Rep Power: 6461 bigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respectedbigbrewster2000 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojthecat
I still cant believe that we didnt trade david Carr to Tennesse then we could have had Vince Yound and then we could have traded Domminic Davis to NO and we could have had Reggie Bush and then we could have selected Mario and then we could have traded our third and forth round picks to the Jets and selected Dbrick.

What were we thinking???
..... And then......And then.......And then we could have trade our whole team for another one.......And then.....And then......
bigbrewster2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #5
The Dude Abides
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39 The Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Dude Abides is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I'm made of magic and pixie dust.
Old 07-12-2006   #6
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 378037 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

We can only hope that this is the season that DC proves himself and this on-going debate experiences some resolution. Nothing like a fifth year QB still trying to live up to his potential.
Old 07-12-2006   #7
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I am tired of the Carr discussion but I found this quote very funny from the start of theard:

"I know, I know, you get better protection from the lining of your college windbreaker than Carr does from the Texans' offensive line."

Thumbs up to the guy that wrote that and made a boring retread discussion funny.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-12-2006   #8
wrestler4life
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
I am tired of the Carr discussion but I found this quote very funny from the start of theard:

"I know, I know, you get better protection from the lining of your college windbreaker than Carr does from the Texans' offensive line."

Thumbs up to the guy that wrote that and made a boring retread discussion funny.
"The Emperor with No Clothes" got more protection from the cold than Carr did from opposing defenses.
Old 07-12-2006   #9
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrewster2000
..... And then......And then.......And then we could have trade our whole team for another one.......And then.....And then......
And then..... and Then.... - lol

For a minute I thought you were gonna break out with a rendition of the Speaker lady from "Dude - where's my car"

Yet Another re-hashing the old stuff fluff post. As we all know - nothing really means much until we put the pads on and see some live snaps against an oponent other than our own D later this year. Hopefully the line will give DC some time and David can make some better choices this year.
Old 07-12-2006   #10
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Plummer makes all-pro and has the best yr of his career, so what does Denver do? They draft Jake's eventual replacement and put him on the out/hot seat. Will this scenario ever happen for Carr? Well, he'd have to make all-pro first!!
NATHANHALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #11
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NATHANHALE
Plummer makes all-pro and has the best yr of his career, so what does Denver do? They draft Jake's eventual replacement and put him on the out/hot seat. Will this scenario ever happen for Carr? Well, he'd have to make all-pro first!!
well...I wouldn't call getting Cutler "putting Plummer on the hot seat". There are plenty of teams and coaches that still believe that a NFL QB needs 3 to 4 seasons on the bench to absorb the NFL.

Rodgers wasn't going to heat up Favre's spot in Green Bay.

So if, IF I say, Shanahan is thinking about raising Cutler up in this manner, Plummer has two solid years coming with the 3rd and 4th on watch ( when he is fast approaching 15 years in the league ).
Old 07-12-2006   #12
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
well...I wouldn't call getting Cutler "putting Plummer on the hot seat". There are plenty of teams and coaches that still believe that a NFL QB needs 3 to 4 seasons on the bench to absorb the NFL.

Rodgers wasn't going to heat up Favre's spot in Green Bay.

So if, IF I say, Shanahan is thinking about raising Cutler up in this manner, Plummer has two solid years coming with the 3rd and 4th on watch ( when he is fast approaching 15 years in the league ).
"Jake Plummer, QB, Denver: He just had a career season, leading the Broncos to the AFC championship game and winning 13 of 16 starts. Now he's a lame-duck, waiting to be replaced by Jay Cutler, the team's first-round draft pick. OK, so life isn't fair, but Plummer has one year to demonstrate he should keep his job. Wait a minute: Didn't he just do that?"

Well, this article sure does not agree with you! And, I think your 3 or 4 yrs for bench warming is not the case anymore. Sorry, but can't even think of a single high profile QB that did not start till his 4th or 5th year. I can name several QB's who started before that and are now back-ups...
Old 07-12-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 391357 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sorry, but can't even think of a single high profile QB that did not start till his 4th or 5th year.
Trent Green--6th year
Matt Hasselback--3rd year
Jake Delhomme--6th year
Steve McNair--3rd year
Mark Brunell--3rd year
Mark Bulger--3rd year
Chris Simms--3rd year
Brad Johnson--5th year

Regardless of whether you consider them high profile or not, waiting a while to become as starter is not totally out of vogue in the NFL either.
Old 07-12-2006   #14
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Trent Green--6th year
Matt Hasselback--3rd year
Jake Delhomme--6th year
Steve McNair--3rd year
Mark Brunell--3rd year
Mark Bulger--3rd year
Chris Simms--3rd year
Brad Johnson--5th year

Regardless of whether you consider them high profile or not, waiting a while to become as starter is not totally out of vogue in the NFL either.
Was Simms the only recent QB you could fine? Also, thanks for answering for Twin Sisters, but her post said 3 or 4 yrs on the bench which means did not start until their 4th or 5th year. Were any of these QBs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round or were most drafted as 'projects'?
Old 07-12-2006   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Well, this article sure does not agree with you! And, I think your 3 or 4 yrs for bench warming is not the case anymore. Sorry, but can't even think of a single high profile QB that did not start till his 4th or 5th year. I can name several QB's who started before that and are now back-ups...
Are you forgetting about Rivers? Delhomme? Hasselbeck? Trent Green? Simms?

2-4 years before they became 16 Game ready starters. Simms would have rode the bench 3 straight if not for injury.

Nobody typed anything stating all coaches believe the same thing. The changes in the CBA have changed the 5 year plan down to 3-4 because of the contract restrictions. New changes again will shorten that down to 1-2, because you need to have a better idea of what you drafted before paying them.

Holmgren would not have started Hasselbeck until his fifth year if he didn't have all the other pressures working ( GM, Hasselbecks attitude, fan base, Dilfer, Kitna, etc. )

as for the article... the guy is playing starting fullback in the Hyber Bowl if you know what I mean.
Old 07-12-2006   #16
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
Are you forgetting about Rivers? Delhomme? Hasselbeck? Trent Green? Simms?

2-4 years before they became 16 Game ready starters. Simms would have rode the bench 3 straight if not for injury.

Nobody typed anything stating all coaches believe the same thing. The changes in the CBA have changed the 5 year plan down to 3-4 because of the contract restrictions. New changes again will shorten that down to 1-2, because you need to have a better idea of what you drafted before paying them.

Holmgren would not have started Hasselbeck until his fifth year if he didn't have all the other pressures working ( GM, Hasselbecks attitude, fan base, Dilfer, Kitna, etc. )

as for the article... the guy is playing starting fullback in the Hyber Bowl if you know what I mean.
Is Rivers the only QB in that bunch taken in the 1st round? I'm saying no team is going to draft a QB in the first round-give him a high dollar 4 yr contract-and sit him on the bench for most (if not all) his 1st contract.
Old 07-12-2006   #17
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Were any of these QBs drafted in the 1st or 2nd round or were most drafted as 'projects'?
well it could be that Cutler was a BPA move. Champ Bailey was just on the Network talking about how they didn't really have a glaring need for personel on the D. Their line is maturing... maybe they need some WRs, but other then that why pass on Cutler?
Old 07-12-2006   #18
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Is Rivers the only QB in that bunch taken in the 1st round? I'm saying no team is going to draft a QB in the first round-give him a high dollar 4 yr contract-and sit him on the bench for most (if not all) his 1st contract.
yeah but two years for Plummer to win a Super Bowl with the current squad is not exactly 'hot seat' is what I am saying.
Old 07-12-2006   #19
NATHANHALE
Veteran

Quote:
well it could be that Cutler was a BPA move. Champ Bailey was just on the Network talking about how they didn't really have a glaring need for personel on the D. Their line is maturing... maybe they need some WRs, but other then that why pass on Cutler?
I may be wrong but didn't Denver move up to get Cutler at #11? Ok, Broncos traded their 15th and 68th picks (3rd round) to get Cutler---sounds like they wanted him pretty bad...wonder how long he'll 'ride the bench.'

Last edited by NATHANHALE; 07-12-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 07-12-2006   #20
MorKnolle
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle MorKnolle

Quote:
I may be wrong but didn't Denver move up to get Cutler at #11?
yes
MorKnolle is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read