Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-12-2006   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Aikman:From Henryetta to Canton

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9549875

A little rundown on Aikmans career
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #2
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

A lot of folks like to belittle both Aikman and Emmitt's careers. IMO they both well deserve going to the Hall.
Old 07-12-2006   #3
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep both guys deserve it.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Emmitt, I'm totally sold on. Aikman....ahhhhhh? He does deserve to be in the Hall, yes--don't get me wrong; but, I was never one who thought he was really the best around. I just thought he was good with great talent around him. Good is an understatement--I'll say almost great, but not quite. I think his stats and lack of interceptions are misleading, because of a lack of pressure from opposing defenses, Emmitt Smith himself, and a tall, high-jumping, super-star wide-out (who got a away with a lot of push-offs in the end-zone). Hey, I could go on about Aikman's good qualities, but I'd just be agreeing with everyone else and that's not my point here. My point is that I feel he was very good, but also a little overrated.

Why not question Emmitt too? Because I've seen Emmitt go throught the hole, make it to the second level, take hits from several LBs at the same time, and bust his way through it. Shear determination. I can't fault that stuff, no matter how good his line was.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #5
WWJD
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 375 WWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respectedWWJD is a quality contributor and well respected

Emmitt was about as durable as they come and I've stood right next to him and he's not all that big. So to take all that pounding and to do as outstanding a job as he did year after year shows greatness to me. He just had IT.

And who can forget him playing with one shoulder in that NY Giant game? Not me that's for sure.

Great guy, great player and great determination. Emmitt is a winner.
WWJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006   #6
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Emmitt, I'm totally sold on. Aikman....ahhhhhh? He does deserve to be in the Hall, yes--don't get me wrong; but, I was never one who thought he was really the best around. I just thought he was good with great talent around him. Good is an understatement--I'll say almost great, but not quite. I think his stats and lack of interceptions are misleading, because of a lack of pressure from opposing defenses, Emmitt Smith himself, and a tall, high-jumping, super-star wide-out (who got a away with a lot of push-offs in the end-zone).
One of the things folks overlook in considering Aikman's career and focusing on the Dallas running game is his post-season performance. In the post season the run D's were obviously better on average as were the D's overall. Teams game planned to shut down Emmitt. Aikman upped his game when the games were toughest and most critical increasing his completion %, yards per game and TD's per game in the post-season. Many QB's falter in the post-season--Aikman excelled.
Old 07-12-2006   #7
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72
Because I've seen Emmitt go throught the hole, make it to the second level, take hits from several LBs at the same time, and bust his way through it. Shear determination. I can't fault that stuff, no matter how good his line was.
As I alluded to, Emmitt IMO is also improperly downgraded for playing behind a great OL. A great RB makes his OL look better--it is somewhat chicken and egg. In any event, as you say, Emmitt didn't make his career on blowing thru huge holes to be tackled by the 1st guy. He made his career minimizing contact by good angles and shiftiness and then powering thru the contact. At one point a commentator mentioned Emmitt had made more of his yards after 1st contact than before--it wasn't all the OL.
Old 07-12-2006   #8
Kaiser Toro
Native Mod

Rep Power: 35068 Kaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respectedKaiser Toro is a quality contributor and well respected

I was not a fan of Aikman as a Cowboy fan, but he has earned a spot in the Hall in my opinion. The team he led defined a decade.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read