Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2006   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans and the tight end position

New blog post in these quiet times.

Link: What is this "tight end" thing that you speak of?

When I put it together, I learned some new stuff (I knew what I saw but I didn't know the actual stats).
Old 07-10-2006   #2
hollywood_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1649 hollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedhollywood_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

From the article, this explains why we picked a tight end in the draft:

"Kubiak also believes that Daniels can also be used at H-back and fullback as well as tightend."

I didn't understand why we picked a tight end with Bruener, Putzier, and Joppru all competing for playing time this year and we had so many other holes to address. There is a big log jam at the TE position.

IMO, Daniels will get a lot of reps from other positions and special teams because BPJ are going to take most of the reps at TE.
hollywood_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #3
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

Tejano Chica, thanks for another good read.

Did you get the title from this thread... http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ighlight=tight

FYI... You left out Patrick Hape.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #4
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Look at the Broncos roster and see how many TEs and FBs they carry and you will see why Putz, Cook, Daniels, Hape et al are in camp. Watch how they use guys like Kyle Johnson. When people start seeing practices and preseason games this will become more obvious.
aj. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #5
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Pat Kirwan is a jerk-off.. Cowboys' patsy.

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/team/te.html

here's a better history of the Double TE
Old 07-10-2006   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183543 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood_texan
"Kubiak also believes that Daniels can also be used at H-back and fullback as well as tightend."

That would put Daniels in perfect situations to use his early QB skills in trick passing plays.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #7
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12 TwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVPTwinSisters was voted MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger
That would put Daniels in perfect situations to use his early QB skills in trick passing plays.
Or emulate Young/Jones in practice.
Old 07-10-2006   #8
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 70215 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Crud, I knew I left someone out. Hape goes in shortly.
Old 07-10-2006   #9
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wonger need food
Tejano Chica, thanks for another good read.

Did you get the title from this thread... http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...ighlight=tight

FYI... You left out Patrick Hape.

Yeah. I remembered that, but should have looked it up because then I wouldn't have left out Hape. It's so true. I didn't realize how true until I looked up the percentages.

When I read that, I hear in my head the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer trying to understand our team.

Old 07-10-2006   #10
the wonger need food
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1340 the wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respectedthe wonger need food is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and later got thawed out by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the big screen television at the stadium, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? When I open this little book that I carry around with me and see the word tight end I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and write it?" What is this tight end thing that you speak of? My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts.
the wonger need food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006   #11
aj.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 658 aj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respectedaj. is a quality contributor and well respected

Wesley Walls (a TE) was a three time Pro Bowler and led the team in receptions two of those years under Capers at Carolina.
Old 07-10-2006   #12
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj.
Wesley Walls (a TE) was a three time Pro Bowler and led the team in receptions two of those years under Capers at Carolina.
I wonder what the problem was with Billy Miller? Did he get hurt? Or was he just too slow or something?
Old 07-10-2006   #13
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
I wonder what the problem was with Billy Miller? Did he get hurt? Or was he just too slow or something?
Billy Miller was an oversized (for a WR), too slow WR who the Broncos and then Texans converted to TE. He just didn't have the combination of size, speed and blocking skills to be a legitimate NFL TE.
Old 07-10-2006   #14
LORK 88
Wreck'em Ŧech!

Rep Power: 202 LORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respectedLORK 88 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to LORK 88

Im just glad that we're taking steps to erase Capers beliefs about TEs. It would drive me crazy when you could know what we were going to do on offense just by looking at which TE in was in (Rivers for receiving, Bruener for blocking). I used to say that we just need balance at TE, and luckily Kubiak to the rescue.
Old 07-11-2006   #15
TwinSisters
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
Billy Miller was an oversized (for a WR), too slow WR who the Broncos and then Texans converted to TE. He just didn't have the combination of size, speed and blocking skills to be a legitimate NFL TE.
Son of a gun! Look at that... I think the Saints picked him up!

He had a pretty good mid-range game in his first season with us. I always wondered why they didn't toss him in as a slot WRer or second TE after that.

He's around 245 so that's not too bad. Crap, I guess I will end up watching a few Saints games this year after all.

WHOA! Damn! Jay Foreman too... those looting buncha pirates!
Old 07-11-2006   #16
aj.
Hall of Fame

Miller is a long shot to stick on anyone's 53, as is Foreman who's been a Raider and a Giant since being released from Houston. If either of those two make it on the Saints opening day roster, New Orleans is in even worse shape than we thought.

Last edited by aj.; 07-11-2006 at 06:55 AM.
Old 07-11-2006   #17
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 302162 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSisters
He had a pretty good mid-range game in his first season with us.

He's around 245 so that's not too bad.
In 2002 I believe he played at about 235 lbs. The Texans asked him to bulk up to become more effective blocking in 2003. I think he even got higher than 245 lbs in 2003 and then came back down some for 2004.
Old 07-11-2006   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216126 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
As a Texans fan, you may not be familiar with this thing that NFL teams refer to as a "tight end." If you've been carefully watching the Texans recent games, you might think of these guys as the skinny linemens.
hehe.......

but seriously..... that's a great read.. I also read the article about why the boys would draft another tightend, when they've already got Witten..... that was an exciting article, as we drafted Owens Daniels, after aquiring Putz, and Joppru still on the books....

Since we are on the subject of tightends...... would anyone want to quantify what would make a good one??

Of course he's got to block.... there aren't many stats that I know of.. at least not in the common everyday nfl.com stat records, that will track this.

But receptions & yards........ what do you guys think we need to see from our tightend??

would the number of receptions be more important?? as long as he's catching the ball, he'll do??

Or do we need to see close to 1000 yards out of the position, before we can say we finally got a tightend??

Last edited by thunderkyss; 07-11-2006 at 07:46 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006   #19
Runner
Hubcap Diamond

Rep Power: 25614 Runner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respectedRunner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
As a Texans fan, you may not be familiar with this thing that NFL teams refer to as a "tight end." If you've been carefully watching the Texans recent games, you might think of these guys as the skinny linemens.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
hehe.......
Glass houses, man. Glass houses.
Old 07-11-2006   #20
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss
hehe.......

but seriously..... that's a great read.. I also read the article about why the boys would draft another tightend, when they've already got Witten..... that was an exciting article, as we drafted Owens Daniels, after aquiring Putz, and Joppru still on the books....

Since we are on the subject of tightends...... would anyone want to quantify what would make a good one??

Of course he's got to block.... there aren't many stats that I know of.. at least not in the common everyday nfl.com stat records, that will track this.

But receptions & yards........ what do you guys think we need to see from our tightend??

would the number of receptions be more important?? as long as he's catching the ball, he'll do??

Or do we need to see close to 1000 yards out of the position, before we can say we finally got a tightend??

I heard Coach Pariani talk a while back when I was at the coaching clinic. This is what he says:

1. You need your TE to be smart. On the offensive side of the ball, he expects the QB, center and TEs to know the most about what is going on.

2. His criteria for a great TE is not the stats that show up in fantasy leagues. Yeah, he wants them to be able to catch, so that the defenses don't know if you are going to run or throw based on formations, but he wants them to do everything, and to do it precisely. The offense is very positional--everybody needs to be in the right place doing their job for the defensive players to be off-balance and outta position to make a play.

3. He says that traditionally, the TEs are often the worst athletes on the field--this is why on the NFL level, they often use good athletes that were converted to TE late in their careers. He is looking for great, smart athletes and he asks his TEs to do a lot.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read